Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1481196 times)

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool (No Coutinho)
« Reply #520 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:51 pm »
We’ve had occasions whereby we have complained that we didn’t throw an extra million/5 million to secure a transfer and now we are going the other direction..

Well happy with this signing and hopefully it massively improves us!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #521 on: December 27, 2017, 11:46:48 pm »
Without anyone being sold, we're about 2 first team signings away from being a complete team. 3 maybe, if you count left back, but we're as bad in that position as most of us thought at the start of the season. We sort that in the summer and add 1 or 2 more and we should be pretty well stocked in all departments
I'm not sure thinks Klopp thinks we are weak at left back given that he rates Moreno and bought Robinson who now seems to be playing quite well since getting into the team. He might look to strengthen but don't think it's a given
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »
It might be expensive, but if the alternative is paying 30 odd for someone like Lindelof, I'm in

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: December 27, 2017, 11:49:49 pm »
I might be getting ahead of myself, but we could be a dark horse to make a deep run in the CL. Attack speaks for itself but we now have a defender who matches up to what Klopp had with Hummels-Subotic when Dortmund reached the final. If Matip can stay fit, then who knows.

Credit to FSG. Brilliant work by them to get this through.

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #524 on: December 27, 2017, 11:50:53 pm »
I have to say I'm very pleased we got VDV - just need a goalie and another couple of players (with Kieta also in the mix) and we will look very strong. Could be our season next year, as hopefully man city not be serial winners!?

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #525 on: December 27, 2017, 11:52:01 pm »
Who gives a shit how much we’re paying. We’ve signed one of the best defenders in the league, potentially in europe, and when was the last time we could say that? If your first thought on this is ‘price is too high’ then something’s wrong - you should be over the moon with a smile from ear to ear because Jurgen Klopp is building this team bit by bit and he’s just got a huge piece slotted in.

We’re on our way to something special and the big man is gunna be a massive part of it.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:01 pm »
Think his goals will be vital too. A really dangerous option to break a tight game from a corner etc

Never mind the signing that could qualify us for the champions league, it might win it for us this year ;D

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #527 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:46 pm »

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #528 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:21 pm »
Cool beans.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #529 on: December 27, 2017, 11:55:37 pm »
Great to hear it's been done but fuck me, we really do always overpay, don't we? Could the last £10m or £15m really not be in the form of add-ons, as opposed to £5m? I guess if it gets us a Champions League this year it might be worth it.

I  may well be being wooooooooshed, but considering the fees LFC have paid for players the last 2 seasons, I'd say we've been doing rather well in the not overpaying department recently  ;D

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: December 27, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »
"No Coutinho"

;D

Was literally my favourite thread title on every thread in the summer

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: December 27, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »
Not sure how you can't watch some of his vids and be wildly excited about this.

One of the smoothest defenders on the ball - with physicality to boot! Rolls Royce!

Incredible signing. Can't wait to see him back to his best and completely focused.

Having Klopp is truly a blessing in getting these players.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: December 28, 2017, 12:00:28 am »
some statement of intent this
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: December 28, 2017, 12:01:10 am »
For me, the one question is system. Van Dijk looks very good in a relatively compact Southampton team, who play a back 5. In a way similar to Joe Gomez did for England against Brazil, when you play with as much protection as VvD got, it can really mask his weaknesses. Liverpool play fan more expansively and can leave themselves open to 2v2s, etc.

Having said that, Southampton are pathetic without VvD and are conceding ridiculous amounts at the moment. Also, Klopp seems to have rectified the defensive lapses, with the goals we concede now largely being individual errors. Furthermore, there aren't many more defenders that I'd rather have than VvD in those sort of 2v2 situations.

In short, it comes down to whether he improves our backline. Sure as shit he does. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40730793 and here's a link to what the guy who scouted him for Celtic says.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #534 on: December 28, 2017, 12:01:25 am »
Great to hear it's been done but fuck me, we really do always overpay, don't we? Could the last £10m or £15m really not be in the form of add-ons, as opposed to £5m? I guess if it gets us a Champions League this year it might be worth it.
people moan when we go in and low ball and then people moan when we appear on the surface to overpay!  A player is worth essentially what a team is willing to pay for them.

The club think he's worth it, so he is.

My main worry isn't the fee, it's whether he's good enough after his injury as he hasn't shown that he is for Southampton but again the club and Klopp think he is and that's the important thing
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:06:12 am by shelts »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: December 28, 2017, 12:01:57 am »

Am I missing the joke or.....

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #536 on: December 28, 2017, 12:05:12 am »
For me, the one question is system. Van Dijk looks very good in a relatively compact Southampton team, who play a back 5. In a way similar to Joe Gomez did for England against Brazil, when you play with as much protection as VvD got, it can really mask his weaknesses. Liverpool play fan more expansively and can leave themselves open to 2v2s, etc.

Having said that, Southampton are pathetic without VvD and are conceding ridiculous amounts at the moment. Also, Klopp seems to have rectified the defensive lapses, with the goals we concede now largely being individual errors. Furthermore, there aren't many more defenders that I'd rather have than VvD in those sort of 2v2 situations.

In short, it comes down to whether he improves our backline. Sure as shit he does. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40730793 and here's a link to what the guy who scouted him for Celtic says.
yep, Lovren looked good at Southampton too don't forget. Would personally prefer us to get in a proper DM to protect the back four, that would make us stronger and then maybe a new keeper too! Hopefully that's what we look to do next

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:00 am »
You know what excites me most about this signing? That Klopp has made a few noises recently about how defenders have to be all in. Like the"that goal wouldnt happen if  I was on the pitch" and saying to TAA about you play on no matter what. And he REALLY wants Van Dijk as his main man, Throw in that Van Dijk is a monster and a half of a man and as physically imposing as anyone, and you have someone who will make a major difference at both ends of the pitch.
I'm actually hoping for the first time in god knows how long that I can not dread a corner for the opposition, and feel like we are a threat from one of ours

Offline Tjfruits

• Anny Roader
« Reply #538 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:43 am »
In my opinion he's on a par with Alderweirald and Kompany (when fit) as the best CB in the league. Good on Klopp too by the way, got hammered for not signing a second choice CB, and a lot of morons in the media enjoyed having a pop as if he was some kind of football novice for that. Yet they're all saying now it was the right decision I'm sure  ;)
I can’t say I have seen loads of him, but in my opinion defenders from smaller teams always struggle to take the step up and when I saw him at Anfield recently he looked poor. Hope you are right though

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:51 am »
yep, Lovren looked good at Southampton too don't forget. Would personally prefer us to get in a proper DM to protect the back four, that would make us stronger and then maybe a new keeper too! Hopefully that's what we look to do next
More so than ever before, I'm aware of the fact that the club will strengthen when the right player at the right time comes along.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
I can’t say I have seen loads of him, but in my opinion defenders from smaller teams always struggle to take the step up and when I saw him at Anfield recently he looked poor. Hope you are right though

I spent a bit of time in Southampton and seen a couple of games, his pace is frightning, and a massive part of his game is his organisational skills. I cant think of too many who have stepped up who have had both of those in their game. So fear not  :)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #541 on: December 28, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
I spent a bit of time in Southampton and seen a couple of games, his pace is frightning, and a massive part of his game is his organisational skills. I cant think of too many who have stepped up who have had both of those in their game. So fear not  :)
before or after he did his ACL?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:14:35 am by shelts »

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:58 am »
Like a Virgil......tapped for the very last time ;)

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: December 28, 2017, 12:13:08 am »
I really dont give a shit about the cost. Its not my money that FSG are spending and its great to see them backing our manager like this. Another step up that hill boys! I reckon I can see the summit now and its not so far away  ;D
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: December 28, 2017, 12:14:05 am »
before or after he did is ACL?

Before. so maybe a fair worry, But he's top drawer so Im hoping that injury wont affect him

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
Like a Virgil......tapped for the very last time ;)
think you might be 6 hours late on that one  ;D

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #546 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:33 am »
Before. so maybe a fair worry, But he's top drawer so Im hoping that injury wont affect him
cheers, I hope so too and hope his form for Southampton is down to him being unsettled this season and not something tondo with his injury but I'm sure the medical will have turned up anything like that!

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:41 am »

Nonsense that. What the hell does that even mean?

Most top centre backs come from a lower level and make their way up. Aldeweireld from Southampton, Kompany from Hamburg, Ferdinand from West Ham. I can't even be bothered to go on.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:59 am »
I have to say I'm very pleased we got VDV - just need a goalie and another couple of players (with Kieta also in the mix) and we will look very strong. Could be our season next year, as hopefully man city not be serial winners!?
without turning it into a transfer thread, (even though that's kinda already what it is anyway), GK, a deep midfielder to compete with/replace hendo, lemar to replace coutinho assuming he goes, and then a striker/forward to replace sturridge and rotate with firmino (solanke and origi not really ready to be 2nd choice). We get that done, then yeah, I wouldn't rule us out next season.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:03 am »
before or after he did his ACL?

I don't think he's ever done his ACL- it was an ankle injury he was out a while with wasn't it?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:06 am »
think you might be 6 hours late on that one  ;D

Think you're 6 months too early with your username  ;D

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #551 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:52 am »
Excellent news. Given that a lot of our problems seem to be individual mistakes and metal lapses and not tactical issues, it stands to reason that an upgrade on our current crop of players would mean and upgrade in results. Here’s hoping that he slots right in. Wonder if it will mean we look less shit defending corners now.

A keeper with fewer howlers per 90 would also be a welcome addition.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge] Pro

Offline HARD AS HELL

• Main Stander
  • Hitachi
« Reply #552 on: December 28, 2017, 12:21:31 am »
I can’t say I have seen loads of him, but in my opinion defenders from smaller teams always struggle to take the step up
Hansen. Hypia.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2017, 12:28:29 am »
I'll put my hands up and admit, I didn't think this was going to happen especially with the reports of city sniffing around.

He is turning down an almost guaranteed league winners medal this season to come to us. People have ripped on Klopp but the man is doing things and signing players we could only have dreamed about a few years ago.

When he puts all the pieces he wants in place I can see us becoming a real force again. I'm in total shock, it's fucking amazing to be honest.

Reminds me of a beautiful 4 year period when Alonso, Mascherano, Torres picked us over the continent's elite.

What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline garumn

• Kopite
« Reply #554 on: December 28, 2017, 12:32:11 am »
Brilliant! Couldn't be happier. Best xmas present this year.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #555 on: December 28, 2017, 12:32:21 am »
Reminds me of a beautiful 4 year period when Alonso, Mascherano, Torres picked us over the continent's elite.

They were simpler times, better times. We had the best midfield in the world.

I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: December 28, 2017, 12:34:28 am »
I'll put my hands up and admit, I didn't think this was going to happen especially with the reports of city sniffing around.

He is turning down an almost guaranteed league winners medal this season to come to us. People have ripped on Klopp but the man is doing things and signing players we could only have dreamed about a few years ago.

When he puts all the pieces he wants in place I can see us becoming a real force again. I'm in total shock, it's fucking amazing to be honest.

Its what happens when you get a manager with pedigree, havent had one since Rafa.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2017, 12:34:52 am »
The expectation level for this one guy to sort our defence out could be massive so i just hope we give him a chance to settle down to the job from January onwards. He does look a bit composed and classy though and has a decent passing range from the snippets i have seen:
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2017, 12:35:25 am »

No we don't always overpay, not at all. In fact we usually DON'T overpay. For example, just this past summer we didn't overpay for Salah.

Some people can never be happy.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:24 am »
Play him at  DM? 😉
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?