Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Alisson Ramses Becker  (Read 372423 times)

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alisson Ramses Becker
« Reply #3920 on: January 21, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »
It's a position that's impossible to compare in my opinion because of how the game (and the rules, playing surfaces etc) has changed. I remember Clem playing without gloves on many occasions! Goalkeepers got little or no protection from Refs years ago from big fuck off maurading Centre forwards either!

Our disallowed goal against the Mancs is a perfect example for the non foul on De Gea. That's why I will always standby my opinion that the Clemence, Banks and Jennings  of this world will always be in a class of their own.

As the years have gone by until the present day, I would Alisson in the best keeper we've had in recent times without a doubt, but as I say, the further you go back the harder it is to make comparisons to our past keepers.

Fair to say the greater athleticism of forwards (i.e. hit the thing harder and more accurately) and the changing of balls to zip quicker and more unpredictably offsets the few cases of a keeper getting 'bullied' into conceding, no?

Online mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • kopite
« Reply #3921 on: January 21, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Fair to say the greater athleticism of forwards (i.e. hit the thing harder and more accurately) and the changing of balls to zip quicker and more unpredictably offsets the few cases of a keeper getting 'bullied' into conceding, no?

The greater athleticism of keepers cancels out the current speed of forwards, a ball zipping quicker on today's pristine pitches is far easier and more predictable for a keeper to deal with than one that weighed a ton and got stuck in a mud bath or a lump of snow.

Today's keepers are way over protected in my opinion, the bravery aspect of their position doesn't really come in to it anymore. Even rules like the back pass one helps then enormously,  which is great for the current keepers,  but something goalies of past didn't have the luxury of.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3922 on: January 21, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »
The greater athleticism of keepers cancels out the current speed of forwards, a ball zipping quicker on today's pristine pitches is far easier and more predictable for a keeper to deal with than one that weighed a ton and got stuck in a mud bath or a lump of snow.

Today's keepers are way over protected in my opinion, the bravery aspect of their position doesn't really come in to it anymore. Even rules like the back pass one helps then enormously,  which is great for the current keepers,  but something goalies of past didn't have the luxury of.

I watched some old footage of the St Etienne game, and it's marked how players could hardly kick the ball with all their might from the penalty area to the halfway line. When a St Etienne player took a snap shot, it went around 12 yards before dribbling out, and I'm not sure that was entirely down to the pitch. While the ball of the 70s was no longer the leather stitched monstrosities of old, I think the composition was still significantly different from the pingability of today.

Watch that clip of Trent jesting with Lingard and hitting the crossbar, and you can hear the ball go ping. Maybe it's low quality balls that I played with (and I'm not even counting the Mouldmaster for comparison), but my memory of kicking the ball is a dull clump, maybe a tonk if I connected well.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Peabee

• SKPB!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #3923 on: January 22, 2020, 06:33:27 AM »
Tommy Lawrence was the first 'sweeper keeper' and was brilliant at it, not that big for a keeper but brave as fuck and would take anything out that beat the last line of defence and approached his area!

This is from the LFC TV tribute to him after 'the flying pig' sadly passed away..

'Ahead of his time as part of Bill Shankly’s first great side in the early 1960s, Lawrence was a sweeper-keeper long before it became fashionable – and was rightly revered by the Kop and his teammates for being a formidable last line of defence'

I’ll never forget when the bbc stopped him in the street to ask him if he watched the FA Cup derby in 1967. Hahaha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-31188264/watch-tommy-lawrence-s-chance-encounter-with-bbc-reporter
“We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.“ Zlen, 30/12/18

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #3924 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »

How so? Not sure why it would.
I’ll never forget when the bbc stopped him in the street to ask him if he watched the FA Cup derby in 1967. Hahaha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-31188264/watch-tommy-lawrence-s-chance-encounter-with-bbc-reporter
Seen that before, love his smile as he's waiting to reply.

Online mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • kopite
« Reply #3925 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
How so? Not sure why it would.

Sorry you're right, not 'enormously' that's pushing it, what I mean because more teams play out from the back now with confidence there are less risky back passes to the keeper knowing he can't pick it up. Keepers like Alisson are ok because they have the skill to use their feet when receiving a decent back pass, but some keepers are utter shite with the ball at their feet and go into panic mode if the ball comes back to them, especially unexpectedly.

I guess my point is when goalies could pick it up, they could be put under more pressure is it happened more frequently and in dodgy situations where a forward would be bearing down on them feet first probably.

You just don't tend to see modern day keepers put under that kind of pressure now. Haha, but yes I think I over did that!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:10:42 AM by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #3926 on: January 22, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
Sorry you're right, not 'enormously' that's pushing it, what I mean because more teams play out from the back now with confidence there are less risky back passes to the keeper knowing he can't pick it up. Keepers like Alisson are ok because they have the skill to use their feet when receiving a decent back pass, but some keepers are utter shite with the ball at their feet and go into panic mode if the ball comes back to them, especially unexpectedly.

Villa fans love their new very deep lying playmaker.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #3927 on: January 22, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
Lovely stuff and he hasn't reach his peak years as a GK yet. His save percentage this season... *drooling*

https://fbref.com/en/players/7a2e46a8/Alisson
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline liverbloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #3928 on: January 23, 2020, 06:35:45 PM »
Klopp "As a goalkeeper we knew what we would get. Yes he made steps, which is normal. As a person he has exceeded the expectation, he is an outstanding guy..."

Online Carras Left Foot

• Believer
« Reply #3929 on: January 23, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
The best keeper in world football

Online BobPaisley3

• Believer
« Reply #3930 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:03 PM »
The best keeper in world football
No doubt. Two great saves at 1-1.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
« Reply #3931 on: January 23, 2020, 10:09:22 PM »
Best keeper in the world right now.

So calm and composed and that feeds right into our defence.

What a signing he's been.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Cactii

• Main Stander
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #3932 on: January 23, 2020, 10:11:33 PM »
Outstanding yet again - should give Roma another £20m as an apology for robbing them again.

Online Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Believer
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 18 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #3933 on: January 23, 2020, 10:12:40 PM »
To the tune of south of the border :

Al-is-son Becker Via In-de-pente......... 

Unfortunately/fortunately thats as far as I got. But what a Beast this man is.
YNWA

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • Believer
« Reply #3934 on: January 23, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »
Lovely stuff and he hasn't reach his peak years as a GK yet. His save percentage this season... *drooling*

https://fbref.com/en/players/7a2e46a8/Alisson
Fucking A. Cheers for that link by the way, I wasn't aware of that site and it's got some good stats.

Here's his save percentage compared to the rest of the league. Pisses all over every one else. It was the same last season too. I now suspect that anyone who thinks there's another keeper close to him in the league is beyond idiotic.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

Great again tonight. He's reminding me of Neuer in his prime, who I think is the best all round keeper I've ever seen. Brilliant stuff.

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #3935 on: January 23, 2020, 11:47:09 PM »
Fucking A. Cheers for that link by the way, I wasn't aware of that site and it's got some good stats.

Here's his save percentage compared to the rest of the league. Pisses all over every one else. It was the same last season too. I now suspect that anyone who thinks there's another keeper close to him in the league is beyond idiotic.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

Great again tonight. He's reminding me of Neuer in his prime, who I think is the best all round keeper I've ever seen. Brilliant stuff.

He's just doing what he's paid to do. As the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world, you'd expect him to rate highly in these stats. It's only to be expected. Transfer fees reflect the quality of the player, so the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world is top of that table, while the bottom of the table is...er....
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Ghost Town

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3936 on: January 24, 2020, 01:36:56 AM »
He's just doing what he's paid to do. As the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world, you'd expect him to rate highly in these stats. It's only to be expected. Transfer fees reflect the quality of the player, so the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world is top of that table, while the bottom of the table is...er....
Well played
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Online duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3937 on: January 24, 2020, 02:28:20 AM »
If he doesn’t get it with his arms or his legs, he saves it with his face.

Nothing he could do with their goal which was really well worked but made a few vital stops when required,
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:00:03 AM by duvva »

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Believer
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3938 on: January 24, 2020, 03:01:56 AM »
Best keeper I've ever seen.

Like some Frankenstein of Riena and Buffon.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3939 on: January 24, 2020, 03:32:21 AM »
If he doesn’t get it with his arms or his legs, he saves it with his face.

Nothing he could do with their goal which was really well worked but made a few viral stops when required,

Alisson is the remedy for our former keeping issues...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #3940 on: January 24, 2020, 03:52:14 AM »
Achterberg is no good for him either;)
To all wieners:
Do you want some cheese with that Whine?
I believe in this team.

Online duvva

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3941 on: January 24, 2020, 03:59:44 AM »
Alisson is the remedy for our former keeping issues...
Ok, you got me!

Offline 88_RED

• Believer
« Reply #3942 on: January 24, 2020, 04:19:34 AM »
Despite the injury lay off he is well in with a shout for 'our' player of the year.. certainly in the top 3 for me..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..