Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 920698 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: Sadio Mané
« Reply #9240 on: February 19, 2020, 03:23:39 AM »
As Klopp saw it, and I think he was wise to act quickly once these shithouses were onto it

Atlético Madrid tried to get Sadio Mané sent off
Several Atlético players surrounded the referee asking for a second yellow card when Mané was caught up in an innocuous incident moments later, and Klopp confirmed the striker was replaced by Divock Origi as a precaution.

“It is obviously a part of football that I don’t like,” said Klopp. “The plan tonight was to get Sadio out of the game with a second yellow card. I was afraid that Sadio’s opponent would go down if he took a deep breath on him or something. I don’t want to have this situation and that is why I took him off.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/19/liverpools-jurgen-klopp-says-atletico-madrid-tried-to-get-sadio-mane-sent-off

Jurgen is 100% right. It was the right call to take him off IMO. Sadio is a combustible character at times and it was a clever move to keep him off the pitch to have him available for the 2nd leg. The yellow was harsh but I couldn't complain too much. It was the diving and hassling of the referee by the Atleti players that I found annoying.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Abin465

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9241 on: February 19, 2020, 04:42:19 AM »
In the return leg, Sadio Mane is going to set that left wing on fire

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Believer
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #9242 on: February 19, 2020, 08:30:50 AM »
He may seem a shy young man, but I think Sadio is as tough as old boots. He was prepared to take it to them last night. They were shit scared of him, hence their determination to cheat him off the pitch.  It worked in so much as he missed the second half, but I think it will only make him more determined.
I was not too upset with a one nil defeat. I think we have been spoilt this year nd expect us to go anywhere and batter the opposition. On occasions, the law of averages can go against you. A poor ref, a cheating opposition, a couple of rusty players, an injury to the skipper, a scrambled set piece. Put them all in the mix an sometimes shit happens.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Felch Aid

• Believer
« Reply #9243 on: February 19, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
Got the impression Klopp knew it was going to be one of those nights. Got nothing from the referee and risk of yellows as well as injuries. Don't think the substitutions were there to change the game and look for a goal.

Credit to Atletico - yes the play acting and Simeone antics are annoying but they defended really well but we needed a bit more support at times given the space Trent and Robertson had. Gini and Henderson needed to be quicker and in the space. So many times they seem to have 2 players on 1.

Fabhino looked a bit rusty at times. Thought Robertson was back to his best and Gomez mopped up everything and was arguably more assured than Virgil.

Plenty of time and I'm happy the way leg was first. Athletic can't go toe to toe so we'll have plenty of possession.

Going to the wire this tie. Just feels like absolute attrition.

Offline christofu

• Main Stander
« Reply #9244 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »
Simeone was counting Gomez's fouls out to the ref in the 1st half with his fingers. 2nd half Gomez's first tackle he pulls out the yellow for a regulation foul. It was clear the referee was 'open to their suggestions' at times during the game so no issue bringing Sadio off in the context. I suspect he might have only played another 15 minutes anyway after returning from injury on the weekend with a 30 minute spell. Unleash the dragon at Anfield!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #9245 on: February 19, 2020, 03:24:29 PM »
Yes. He didn’t touch the player on the yellow card foul

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #9246 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
Yes. He didn’t touch the player on the yellow card foul
He did though. I've always hated the antics, the dirty part of the game, and I still remember how Diego Simeone earned Beckham the red card. Am I to be surprised that his team plays with the shit tactics? I fucking hate that!

But I have to give it to them, they have analyzed Mane very well. Mane has that knack to help himself with arms and it's often so subtle that it's either not noticeable or not enough to give a foul for. It's part of the game. Like the Norwich goal. But the Atletico players grossly overexaggerated everything, so it looks like a foul.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Ghost Town

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9247 on: February 19, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »
Don't think Sadio intends to foul; it's not roughhouse behavior. Possibly it's just because he's a bit smaller in stature than the defenders he has to compete with, but a proper Spring Heeled Jack of a player, who competes robustly to get the ball against giant oafs
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Offline Andypandimonium

• Main Stander
« Reply #9248 on: February 19, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
Sadio's experience last night summed up the contest. A fantastic player who fans pay good money to watch being hounded from the field by a bunch of neanderthals who couldn't care less about the sport of football. Let's hope he has the last laugh, but best be prepared for a complete shitfest at Anfield. And our media will lap it up.  :no