Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1482827 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #4720 on: March 14, 2019, 12:51:20 pm »
If you were given the opportunity to sign any CB in world football right now to replace Van Dijk in Liverpool's team, who would you choose?

The answer is pretty obvious in that there isn't any CB you'd pick over him. Nuff said.
Absolutely. I wouldn't replace him with any CB in history, never fucking mind right now.

Which is also why he isn't going to play for anyone else. We would countenance selling Coutinho because at that money he was not only replaceable but we could, and did, get a lot more out of that cash than Coutinho was doing. VvD is literally irreplaceable, so he isn't going to go anywhere.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4721 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:25 pm »
And the funny thing is he wasn't even at his best yesterday ;D. Still immense.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4722 on: March 14, 2019, 01:17:14 pm »
Absolutely. I wouldn't replace him with any CB in history, never fucking mind right now.

Which is also why he isn't going to play for anyone else. We would countenance selling Coutinho because at that money he was not only replaceable but we could, and did, get a lot more out of that cash than Coutinho was doing. VvD is literally irreplaceable, so he isn't going to go anywhere.

tbf couhtino was never really given much of a chance at CB  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4723 on: March 14, 2019, 01:36:02 pm »

Reckon we sold Coutinho because he wanted to go more than anything.

If Coutinho had said he wanted to stay do you think Klopp would have accepted the Barcelona offer in January 2018? I think we probably keep him.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #4724 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:24 pm »
Hansen was of course great but this guy is more like a classy Rowdy Yeats, massive presence in both boxes and cultured feet as well.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4725 on: March 14, 2019, 01:55:15 pm »
Migsy Delaney on VVD:

Given all the praise coming Virgil van Dijk’s way, not least from Liverpool’s owner John Henry, Jurgen Klopp didn’t want to go completely overboard.

“Van Dijk was involved in the goal of Bayern as well, so what a night,” the manager chuckled.

A little harsh, but it also emphasises the ludicrously high level Van Dijk has reached. He has made his Liverpool teammates expect perfection from him.

That’s how good he’s become. That’s his effect on the squad. He sweeps up so much, but now also starts up so much.

That was what felt next-level about his performance against Bayern. It wasn’t just that he barely gave their attackers a sniff when they got near him. It was how he was instrumental to the goals that really won the tie, setting up the first, and scoring the second.

That header was also as symbolic as it was significant. Just as no Bayern player could go as high as Van Dijk, there’s an increasing argument that no other centre-half can either.

It really isn’t just Liverpool supporters getting ahead of themselves. Van Dijk might genuinely have gone ahead of everyone else in the game.

Diego Godin and Sergio Ramos are now arguably past their best, as emphasised by the crumbling defences around, and the fact the Uruguayan is leaving Atletico Madrid for Internazionale in the summer and Ramos’s own Real Madrid future is uncertain. The next generation like Kalidou Koulibaly and Milan Skriniar aren’t quite as complete, and Gerard Pique just doesn’t have the same overall influence.

Giorgio Chiellini is maybe his closest competitor right now, but Van Dijk can pretty much offer any of the defiance he can, and there’s simultaneously so much Van Dijk can do that the Italian can’t.

This is what is genuinely so impressive about the 27-year-old, and what this match against Bayern Munich emphasised. He is almost several centre-halves in one.

To look at him, you would most associate with the commanding lightning rod, who wins everything in the air in such a steely way. And yet an even more influential part of his game is a supreme ability to just cover so much ground so quickly. That is almost Franco Baresi-like.

To add to the similarities to past greats, as much as the best right now, there was then that pass for Sadio Mane. It was what we used to see so often from Ronald Koeman. It was perfect. It showed he can so combine the dirty with pristine. This of course isn’t to say he is yet at the level of such legends, but there’s just so much there

And it has maybe made Liverpool the best defence left in the competition. Juventus might argue with that, but that alone is the influence of Van Dijk. It might be even more influential in the competition, given that this is an era where chaos reigns and so few can defend properly. Van Dijk can do more than that.

“You can write a book about him,” Klopp eventually enthused, giving in. “He is so young, but so mature.”

But.

“Virge knows he can play better than he did tonight, but tonight he played as good as necessary and possible.”

That in itself should be ominous. It is why, even if Klopp didn’t want to go overboard, everyone else who knows Van Dijk is.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4726 on: March 14, 2019, 01:56:34 pm »
Reckon we sold Coutinho because he wanted to go more than anything.

If Coutinho had said he wanted to stay do you think Klopp would have accepted the Barcelona offer in January 2018? I think we probably keep him.
Probably, but what I mean is that with VvD, I don't think we're accepting the offer at all, do you see what I mean? I also don't think VvD would want to go, as it happens, not that badly anyway, but I think we'd do more to keep him.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4727 on: March 14, 2019, 07:51:20 pm »

Is there even anything in this or just speculation? Genuine question.

One thing to keep in mind is no matter how good a player, if they really want out they will start pulling some stupid shit like what Coutinho did. I think Van Dijk even tried something similar at Southampton although I might be wrong.

After a while the club will give in as most likely their exclusion from the 1st team is hurting results.

That said, I don't think he'll want to go any time soon, not whilst Klopp is building something special here. The important thing is that the manager is allowed to keep refining the squad, keep challenging for honours.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #4728 on: March 14, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »

Not quite as good as that bitter blue Catcher, but a relatively eloquent piece in The Guardian.

Liked this bit:

There was a lofted pass to create the opening goal and the timing and skill to head the second direct from James Milner’s corner, a decisive blow from a sustained, slow-burn spell of pressure.
Mainly he just stood there being Virgil, appearing at times like the only grown-up on the set. Van Dijk is a fascinating leader. He doesn’t yodel and bang his chest. It is more a question of presence, a way of standing. Even watching from the seats you feel somehow that you’re going to find that train home, that the half-time queues will be short, that whatever it is that’s happening in parliament will work out.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/13/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-bayern-munich-champions-league
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4729 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:45 pm »
I'm starting to think that the lad just might work out for us. Call it a hunch, but I am cautiously optimistic.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: March 14, 2019, 08:29:11 pm »
My youngest is going through the “monsters” stage when the lights go out at bed time. So I’ve put a poster of VVD on his door and told him he needn’t worry about monsters, nothing gets past Virgil!

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4733 on: March 14, 2019, 08:43:03 pm »
For someone like myself born in 1992, when I think of the best defender to grace Liverpool the likes of Hyypia jump out to mind.

Whilst I realise football has changed a lot in many ways, ability wise how does this lad compare to the greats like Hansen etc? Would be interested to know how highly some of the ‘older heads’ rate him overall

He really is up there with the likes of Lawro and Hansen, he is that good.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4734 on: March 14, 2019, 08:45:32 pm »
My youngest is going through the “monsters” stage when the lights go out at bed time. So I’ve put a poster of VVD on his door and told him he needn’t worry about monsters, nothing gets past Virgil!

Love that  8)

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #4735 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:03 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmS2jnruxVI&feature=youtu.be

What always stands out for me and comes out clearly in the video, is whenever he clears the ball he tries to find a team mate. And he invariably succeeds. Before his arrival, it was a constant source of exasperation for me watching our defenders clearing it aimlessly only for the bloody ball to come straight back at us keeping us under pressure.

Since he decided to grace us with his presence, I've never been so relaxed watching us defend.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #4736 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:04 pm »
what a monster, i fucking love this guy. so silky the way he plays , cool as a cucumber, oozes class from every orifice.
Loved his celebration after his goal looking up to the fans, no smile , shouted something, iconic image , has anybody got a gif. Legend in the making and he gets us, he loves it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:29:21 pm by PAULG »
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4737 on: March 14, 2019, 11:48:28 pm »
Honestly over the moon he plays for Liverpool! Would not want to have him as a rival. Absolute colossus!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4738 on: March 15, 2019, 01:22:03 am »
Video Babel posted of him jumping to head the ball hanging from the ceiling with the national team is quite mad. Funny it looks high enough already then you see Gini jump and just about reaching it with his hand and it shows how high it actually is

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4739 on: March 15, 2019, 04:16:54 am »
Hansen was no way near as good as Virgil in the tackle. Hansen had Lawro doing his dirty work, then Jocky would being the ball oit like a Rolls Royce on a freshly laid bit of road. Glorious.

Both incredible gifted players.

So in other words, Van Dijk is a mutant combination of Hyppia, Hansen and Lawrenson?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: March 15, 2019, 05:24:43 am »
Love this man. Wouldn't trade him for anyone in football.

Sooner he is our captain the better. He is born to lead.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4741 on: March 15, 2019, 06:58:46 am »
Is there even anything in this or just speculation? Genuine question.

One thing to keep in mind is no matter how good a player, if they really want out they will start pulling some stupid shit like what Coutinho did. I think Van Dijk even tried something similar at Southampton although I might be wrong.
Speculation on my part. Not entirely baseless, though - I'm pretty sure we'll see VVD tied to fat contracts with wages at the top end of our pay scale, and Real/Barca don't break down the door for defenders like they do with Marquis attackers. Also I don't think VVD would necessarily want to go. He could have gone to City but didn't, so I think he pays a lot of attention to the working environment.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: March 15, 2019, 06:59:09 am »
So in other words, Van Dijk is a mutant combination of Hyppia, Hansen and Lawrenson?
Exactly!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #4743 on: March 15, 2019, 07:30:07 am »
He is clearly better than Hansen. Physically, perhaps only Koulibally compares with him, but Van Dijk is  faster and more nimble.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:32:14 am by Vinay »

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:55 am »
Milly: "He{VVD} has to score more."    :lmao
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #4745 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:25 am »
He is clearly better than Hansen. Physically, perhaps only Koulibally compares with him, but Van Dijk is  faster and more nimble.

Its a very big statement to make. If you are just comparing defensive attributes,  VVD has the potential to be the greatest in the world. But he is not better than Alan Hansen, not yet.

There are times I feel being too good puts him into a false sense of lull and he gets sloppy. In that game against Bayern, despite his goal, he was not great. He left too many balls run behind him and of course he did recover with one turn and giant stride nicking it out to safety. But too sloppy by his own golden standards. I have seen something similar in many games recently, where he has allowed the ball (not the player) run behind him and then used his stride to nudge it to safety. I would prefer he runs back and not risk, but he is that confident that he just turns around calmly and confidently nudges it. Hope it doesn't cost us in the near future.

But again I am nitpicking on minor things here and there. Overall he is been absolute Colossus for us, best CB in the world right now. He is better than Sami Hyppia and thats saying something. Two more years of consistent defending, VVD will be right up there with Hansen and the others.

Also don't think Koulibally, as good as he is, compares with VVD. VVD is better. Only a young Chiellini may be (but then he rolls on the ground like someone shot his balls every time wind blows)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:23:28 am by v2krules »

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4746 on: March 15, 2019, 09:42:45 am »
Probably, but what I mean is that with VvD, I don't think we're accepting the offer at all, do you see what I mean? I also don't think VvD would want to go, as it happens, not that badly anyway, but I think we'd do more to keep him.

For me the key is the players will to stay.

Can you keep them happy? If you can then you have no issue at all with regards to player retention. Problem with had with Alonso, Mascherano, Coutinho, Torres, Sterling, Suarez is that they all wanted to leave. Probably for differing reasons.

How do you keep them happy? Competitive wages and an ability to challenge for the top trophies.

There will be other factors too. A South American player may see the Spanish sides as the pinnacle despite your best efforts. Players preference to play under a specific manager. Location etc..

At the moment though we look to be be able to pay reasonably competitive wages and we look like we'll be up there challenging for the domestic title and the Champion's League over the next few seasons. We just need to make sure this becomes reality and then no player will even want to leave.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4747 on: March 15, 2019, 09:48:22 am »

He is clearly better than Hansen.

Steady on

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4748 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:24 am »

Hansen as he is now?

Or peak Hansen?

If it's the latter that's a big shout for a lad who's only played for us for 14 months.

There's definitely things that van Dijk excels at that Hansen didn't. Physicality and aerial ability being obvious ones. From what I saw Hansen was well better on the ball though. His ability to slalom through teams and in essence become that extra midfielder is something van Dijk doesn't have. Imagine how good Hansen would be when teams come with a low block and let our centre backs have the ball?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #4749 on: March 15, 2019, 10:06:32 am »
It's uncanny how often his clearing tackle is a pass to a teammate. Not an accident at all.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #4750 on: March 15, 2019, 10:06:58 am »
Hansen as he is now?

Or peak Hansen?

If it's the latter that's a big shout for a lad who's only played for us for 14 months.

There's definitely things that van Dijk excels at that Hansen didn't. Physicality and aerial ability being obvious ones. From what I saw Hansen was well better on the ball though. His ability to slalom through teams and in essence become that extra midfielder is something van Dijk doesn't have. Imagine how good Hansen would be when teams come with a low block and let our centre backs have the ball?

Did you see the ball he played for Mane against Munich?

He doesn't need to run with it. I'll just chip it abar 60 yards and let Mane do the rest

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:03 am »
Did you see the ball he played for Mane against Munich?

He doesn't need to run with it. I'll just chip it abar 60 yards and let Mane do the rest

No missed it mate. Was it any good?

Because I said Hansen was better on the ball it doesn't mean van Dijk isn't good on the ball.

Because I said van Dijk is better aerially it doesn't mean Hansen isn't good aerially.

We are talking about 2 elite players who excel at a number of facets of the game. One has the edge over the other in some aspects. The reverse for other aspects.

For me Hansen is better. Longevity of performance and playing at the top of his game at crunch times means he has the edge overall. Over time van Dijk can add that. Last night was a good example of him doing so. That's the last 16 of the CL though.

van Dijk has all the attributes to be one of our best defenders ever. Maybe even the best ever. That would mean overtaking Hansen in the pantheon of our club legends. Talk of that at the moment is premature.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4752 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:08 am »
Absolute monster of a player, Jurgens most important signing for me, he knits that whole back line together. He's a real leader too.... a real on the pitch captain.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4753 on: March 15, 2019, 10:21:40 am »
I'm starting to think that the lad just might work out for us. Call it a hunch, but I am cautiously optimistic.
Definitely a player in there.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4754 on: March 15, 2019, 10:26:54 am »

Aye I agree. There seem to be something about him, and I agree that the potential is there. But we should start to ease him in more gently now that Lovren is back. As Lovren also speaks German from his time there when he was young he could form a better partnership with Matip. But give Van Dijk another full season and pre-season involvement and he should be starting games soon again.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4755 on: March 15, 2019, 10:28:19 am »
Aye I agree. There seem to be something about him, and I agree that the potential is there. But we should start to ease him in more gently now that Lovren is back. As Lovren also speaks German from his time there when he was young he could form a better partnership with Matip. But give Van Dijk another full season and pre-season involvement and he should be starting games soon again.

We should make a cheeky bid for Keane in the summer to ease him in and show him the ropes, a mentor if you like?

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4756 on: March 15, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
It's uncanny how often his clearing tackle is a pass to a teammate. Not an accident at all.
Same with his heading, a lot of CBs launch themselves at the ball and just send it, you can see the VVD is looking where he will head it as it is coming, great asset as most of them clearing headers turnover possession.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: March 15, 2019, 10:36:45 am »

Makes me sick when people come out with this type of stuff. Granted he's played well in practically every game he's played here, he's improved our defense and team astronomically and is a future captain but let's not jump to making over the top statements about his ability.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4758 on: March 15, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4759 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:59 pm »
What an angle on that assist to Mane:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/b1cas4/ball_from_vvd/

Wow. That's the best I've seen for appreciating the fade that Van Dijk put on the ball.

The orthodox way to hit the ball would have ended with the ball curving inwards to meet Mane's run. But Mane would probably have had to check and throttle down to meet it. Van Dijk decided instead to cut across the ball and curve it away from Mane. That played to Sadio's strength which is obviously raw pace, and demanded he put the burners on. No defender could live with that. Brilliant.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.