Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker / The Mandalorian / The Clone Wars  (Read 230271 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: Star Wars: Rebels / The Last Jedi / Han Solo *** NO TLJ SPOILERS ***
« Reply #760 on: December 5, 2017, 09:57:26 pm »
I doubt it's too hard to have good story and merchandiable stuff. I mean, who the fuck wanted a toy ewok? Lighsabers and at-ats and snowspeeders, hell yeah.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #761 on: December 5, 2017, 09:59:47 pm »
I doubt it's too hard to have good story and merchandiable stuff. I mean, who the fuck wanted a toy ewok? Lighsabers and at-ats and snowspeeders, hell yeah.

they got their own cartoon. so, presumably quite a few people.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: December 5, 2017, 10:01:10 pm »
they got their own cartoon. so, presumably quite a few people.
I suppose everton fans need something to watch on European nights
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: December 5, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »
Theyre a tool to sell merchandise, cutesy pointless characters that makes weird people buy branded stuffed toys, car stickers etc. The Minions have been a ridiculous money spinner, and they want their Star Wars version of it. There's no defending it.

I don't need to 'defend' anything, no-one's committed a crime, they've just designed a creature you don't like. If by 'weird people' you mean kids, well yes, these films (and the characters in it) are aimed primarily at kids  - just like the Original Trilogy. It's not cynical to design characters / creatures that people actually like. And despite being told that the idea came from the writer / director, you're still insisting that the idea came from some mystery 'dork' at Disney who 'wants their Star Wars version of the Minions' - even though they're nothing like the Minions. They are just something you don't like - it doesn't mean they are automatically the result of some sinister Disney conspiracy.

Nothing new in that at all, but it's the spin offs, the partnerships with other stuff outside of Star Wars that busts my bollocks. I can't fucking stand it, and it's just another reason why I find the entire franchise obnoxious. That's all it is, btw. Don't be fooled in thinking Disney want to genuinely make a decent Star Wars film for the sake of any artistic merit. They'll plug as much shit as possible, and the story be damned.

But they are two separate things though - the people doing the marketing and selling the merchandise are different from the person who is writing and directing the film. So yes Disney will market it to death, but that doesn't affect the quality of the film. It's possible for Rian Johnson to do a good job of writing and directing, no matter how much stuff Disney tries to flog. He's been working on this film for over 3 years, try telling him and the people he's working with at Lucasfilm that they're not trying to make the best film they can. If the film isn't very good, it's because Johnson et al haven't done a good enough job, not because Disney has overdone the marketing.

Clearly Disney bought Lucasfilm to make money, but it's in their interests for the films that come out to actually be good. Star Wars will always make a certain amount of money, but it makes even more when the reviews are good and the audience actually likes the films. So The Phantom Menace made money, but TFA and Rogue One made more because they were better films and people liked them more. Anyway I don't get why the marketing is such a problem, I just ignore it. In any case, if I have to see adverts for something, I'd rather they were adverts for something I like than something I don't.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #764 on: December 5, 2017, 10:47:53 pm »
I don't need to 'defend' anything, no-one's committed a crime, they've just designed a creature you don't like. If by 'weird people' you mean kids, well yes, these films (and the characters in it) are aimed primarily at kids  - just like the Original Trilogy. It's not cynical to design characters / creatures that people actually like. And despite being told that the idea came from the writer / director, you're still insisting that the idea came from some mystery 'dork' at Disney who 'wants their Star Wars version of the Minions' - even though they're nothing like the Minions. They are just something you don't like - it doesn't mean they are automatically the result of some sinister Disney conspiracy.

But they are two separate things though - the people doing the marketing and selling the merchandise are different from the person who is writing and directing the film. So yes Disney will market it to death, but that doesn't affect the quality of the film. It's possible for Rian Johnson to do a good job of writing and directing, no matter how much stuff Disney tries to flog. He's been working on this film for over 3 years, try telling him and the people he's working with at Lucasfilm that they're not trying to make the best film they can. If the film isn't very good, it's because Johnson et al haven't done a good enough job, not because Disney has overdone the marketing.

Clearly Disney bought Lucasfilm to make money, but it's in their interests for the films that come out to actually be good. Star Wars will always make a certain amount of money, but it makes even more when the reviews are good and the audience actually likes the films. So The Phantom Menace made money, but TFA and Rogue One made more because they were better films and people liked them more. Anyway I don't get why the marketing is such a problem, I just ignore it. In any case, if I have to see adverts for something, I'd rather they were adverts for something I like than something I don't.
You're a fucking sheeple, Rob! ;)
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: December 5, 2017, 10:55:32 pm »
Besides the porg debate, I was under the impression one of the main reasons disney bought star wars was the general absense of blood and gore. Besides obi wan causing a bloody mess in the cantina bar theres been very little gore,!padme getting her back scratched by a big cat on geneosis etc maybe theres more but whatever very little blood. Then in ep7 a big bloody handprint is slapped on “finn”s helmet. Ok it was used as a tool to dsitinguish which stormtrooper the newly introduced character was but I was surprised to see blood in disneys star wars
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: December 5, 2017, 11:01:50 pm »
You're a fucking sheeple, Rob! ;)

What can I say, Disney have got to me, I'm just a shill now...still I get loads of free merchandise though, so there is that.

I'd just rather enjoy something that's meant to be enjoyable rather treating it like it's all some great political scandal / conspiracy. Sometimes films are made that you just don't like or simply aren't very good, there's nothing more sinister in it than that. I mean, I don't like the Prequels but I don't accuse Lucas of selling out or ruining my childhood. He'd just completely lost his ability to make these films work, and there was no-one around who was prepared to tell him it was shit.

I just don't get the point of coming in here to say 'I didn't like the last one, and I'm not going to like the next one either'. Great, well don't watch it then.

Offline Wa11y

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #767 on: December 5, 2017, 11:03:17 pm »
Besides the porg debate, I was under the impression one of the main reasons disney bought star wars was the general absense of blood and gore. Besides obi wan causing a bloody mess in the cantina bar theres been very little gore,!padme getting her back scratched by a big cat on geneosis etc maybe theres more but whatever very little blood. Then in ep7 a big bloody handprint is slapped on “finn”s helmet. Ok it was used as a tool to dsitinguish which stormtrooper the newly introduced character was but I was surprised to see blood in disneys star wars
Have you seen what happens to Anakin in Ep3 (understandable if you haven't [emoji39])

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: December 5, 2017, 11:09:25 pm »
Have you seen what happens to Anakin in Ep3 (understandable if you haven't [emoji39])

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Always thought that was way over the top and not in keeping with the rest of the films. Although it was hard to care really, as he was such a terrible character!

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #769 on: December 5, 2017, 11:10:50 pm »
What can I say, Disney have got to me, I'm just a shill now...still I get loads of free merchandise though, so there is that.

I'd just rather enjoy something that's meant to be enjoyable rather treating it like it's all some great political scandal / conspiracy. Sometimes films are made that you just don't like or simply aren't very good, there's nothing more sinister in it than that. I mean, I don't like the Prequels but I don't accuse Lucas of selling out or ruining my childhood. He'd just completely lost his ability to make these films work, and there was no-one around who was prepared to tell him it was shit.

I just don't get the point of coming in here to say 'I didn't like the last one, and I'm not going to like the next one either'. Great, well don't watch it then.

take that considered and reasonable shit out of here.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: December 5, 2017, 11:15:22 pm »

1) You underestimate how big the minion fad was (and probably will be again). You can buy minion-branded everything, adults were all over it. Way more than kids. Disney want that for Star Wars - they already got Baby Groot for Marvel.

2) I'm never buying into the idea that Rian Johnson was sat around and suddenly had a revelation "We should bring in these hamster bird things that are super cute. We can have a scene where one is on the Falcon and Chewie roars and then the porg does too AND THEN CHEWIE KNOCKS IT OFF THE CONSOLE HAWHAWHAW". That's 100% marketing BS.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: December 5, 2017, 11:15:44 pm »
take that considered and reasonable shit out of here.

Sorry, won't happen again...

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: December 5, 2017, 11:17:02 pm »
Boyega:

“I just naturally don’t like them,” John Boyega said. “I don’t. I was in the Falcon and there was a hole and there were little porgs all bunched together and then there were big ones. They had the puppets blinking and all that kind of stuff. I’m not into it.” He described them as being “all over the place,” so there will probably be at least one scene where the spaceship gets infested with little bird-gerbils. At least one stows away onboard—we’ve seen it in the trailers, screeching its little head off before Chewbacca unceremoniously tosses it off the dashboard. Chewbacca actor Joonas Suotamo feels badly about that, by the way.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #773 on: December 5, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »
baby groot was fucking cool though.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: December 6, 2017, 12:53:01 am »
Didn't see the same criticism of batmans pointless custom made mercedes in justice league. Most large film companies will have shite like this in films because shock horror they are businesses

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: December 6, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Didn't see the same criticism of batmans pointless custom made mercedes in justice league. Most large film companies will have shite like this in films because shock horror they are businesses

Good point, I was almost clipped crossing the street by an 8 year old in a concept Mercedes.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: December 6, 2017, 07:57:54 am »
That's 100% marketing BS

Your own words earlier about porgs, what did batmans custom mercedes or wonder womans mercedes add to the justice league story line?

Nothing, they are both marketing/merchandise bs as you say. The difference is you like dc so didn't let it bother you. What about dc also making a stand alone unrelated joker film with a new actor? You think thats purely to make a good story/film or do you think dc know the joker sells so they are churning out as many as they can for money. Don't pretend its only disney/marvel trying to make money.

If they were making a stand alone porg film like the minions you may have a point but they are small part comic relief character aimed at children. Hardly worth kicking up a fuss about

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: December 6, 2017, 08:06:45 am »
That's 100% marketing BS

Your own words earlier about porgs, what did batmans custom mercedes or wonder womans mercedes add to the justice league story line?

Nothing, they are both marketing/merchandise bs as you say. The difference is you like dc so didn't let it bother you. What about dc also making a stand alone unrelated joker film with a new actor? You think thats purely to make a good story/film or do you think dc know the joker sells so they are churning out as many as they can for money. Don't pretend its only disney/marvel trying to make money.

If they were making a stand alone porg film like the minions you may have a point but they are small part comic relief character aimed at children. Hardly worth kicking up a fuss about

You're comparing Baby Groot to Tony Stark's Audi R8. Does that explain it better for you?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: December 6, 2017, 08:12:22 am »
No im not. You were discussing porgs being added as purley marketing bs. What were the mercedes added for again?

Ones to sell toys the other is to sell cars. Yet your outrage was missing for dc. The whole things rather daft  :D
« Last Edit: December 6, 2017, 08:14:51 am by WillG.LFC »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: December 6, 2017, 08:15:47 am »
No im not. You were discussing porgs being added as purley marketing bs. What were the mercedes added for again?

Ones to sell toys the other is to sell cars. Yet your outrage was missing for dc. The whole things rather daft  :D

Banana

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: December 6, 2017, 08:17:48 am »
Where did fynn learn to shoot? He hits things so clearly not stormtrooper school.
Getting excited now, mid December is now a great time of year. Batter the bitters with no injuries and it could be a time long remembered.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: December 6, 2017, 08:18:42 am »
Ding ding we have a winner. Now let that be an end of your porg bashing :D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: December 6, 2017, 08:23:21 am »
Ding ding we have a winner. Now let that be an end of your porg bashing :D

Well no I'm just gonna talk to smart people about it instead, sorry bud.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: December 6, 2017, 08:26:21 am »
oooooo offensive. Odd you were unable to accept or answer any of the points detrimental to your argument. It's not disneys fault dc's films have been below average/shite  :lmao

Banana was one of your responses btw :D
« Last Edit: December 6, 2017, 08:29:30 am by WillG.LFC »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: December 6, 2017, 08:31:07 am »
oooooo offensive. Odd you were unable to accept or answer any of the points detrimental to your argument. It's not disneys fault dc's films have been below average/shite  :lmao

I've explained it to you twice, including a simple analogy. You don't know the difference between a prop and a character. There's really no better way of explaining it to you because you don't know the difference between a prop and a character. Until you learn the difference between a prop and a character, there's really no point in continuing the discussion. The fact that you didn't even get the banana answer is too perfect, I should have left it there.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: December 6, 2017, 08:35:21 am »
I do understand the difference. You were discussing their purpose (marketing bs i believe). To which you still haven't answered whats the purpose of the cars in justice league? Your inability to answer is telling because you know the answer. All films have shite in to make money. Your singling out of disney/marvel is just odd.

so if luke turns up in a merc you'd be fine with it :D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: December 6, 2017, 08:47:01 am »
I do understand the difference. You were discussing their purpose (marketing bs i believe). To which you still haven't answered whats the purpose of the cars in justice league? Your inability to answer is telling because you know the answer. All films have shite in to make money. Your singling out of disney/marvel is just odd.

so if luke turns up in a merc you'd be fine with it :D

The purpose of the car is to show how rich Bruce Wayne is. Same with the Audi R8 in Iron Man. Or the Bentley in The Punisher. Or the Lamborghini in TDK. I'm sure Mercedes paid for the spot, like Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley did. That's not a big deal. It's like having a coke can visible in shot.

The porgs are characters who (hopefully) have no purpose in the movie. They're cute and cuddly and exist purely to sell toys and merchandise. The Minions are the blueprint. The reason I singled out Baby Groot is because he's the same. He's a fucking hindrance to the rest of the Guardians and does nothing other than be cute and dumb. It's still less jarring in Guardians because we know what Groot used to be, and what he hopefully (but probably won't) become again. The porgs are absolutely blatantly in there purely to sell toys. They aren't going to be a major plot point or a useful character. They're going to watch Rey train and then sneak on to the Falcon when they leave and do a bunch of comedy spots. Like when Chewie roars and the porg copies him but cuter.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: December 6, 2017, 08:56:20 am »
The purpose of the car is to show how rich Bruce Wayne is. Same with the Audi R8 in Iron Man. Or the Bentley in The Punisher. Or the Lamborghini in TDK. I'm sure Mercedes paid for the spot, like Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley did. That's not a big deal. It's like having a coke can visible in shot.

The porgs are characters who (hopefully) have no purpose in the movie. They're cute and cuddly and exist purely to sell toys and merchandise. The Minions are the blueprint. The reason I singled out Baby Groot is because he's the same. He's a fucking hindrance to the rest of the Guardians and does nothing other than be cute and dumb. It's still less jarring in Guardians because we know what Groot used to be, and what he hopefully (but probably won't) become again. The porgs are absolutely blatantly in there purely to sell toys. They aren't going to be a major plot point or a useful character. They're going to watch Rey train and then sneak on to the Falcon when they leave and do a bunch of comedy spots. Like when Chewie roars and the porg copies him but cuter.
??? Doesn't Baby Groot do his bit by blowing up the brain?? I'm sure the Porgs will have their part to play in the resistance :D

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #788 on: December 6, 2017, 09:03:01 am »
Does it really matter?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #789 on: December 6, 2017, 09:19:45 am »
I liked baby groot, and found it funny.

As I can't see the future I don't know what the porgs are going to do, if anything, and will wait until next week before making any judgement on them because, and here's a novel idea, I'll have actually seen the fucking film.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #790 on: December 6, 2017, 09:25:31 am »

The smart people don't want to talk to you though.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: December 6, 2017, 09:30:34 am »

So what are your thoughts on the samurai batman posted in the dc thread? Seems to me its an obvious whoring of the batman character to sell more stuff/make more money. I haven't got a problem with in similar to the porgs as its not a massive deal. Just seeing as though you hate characters being created just to sell stuff but i haven't seen any negative response from you about it

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #792 on: December 6, 2017, 11:25:12 am »
??? Doesn't Baby Groot do his bit by blowing up the brain?? I'm sure the Porgs will have their part to play in the resistance :D

Didn't Baby Groot also become teenage Groot too? So we've already moved away from Baby Groot...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: December 6, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »
So what are your thoughts on the samurai batman posted in the dc thread? Seems to me its an obvious whoring of the batman character to sell more stuff/make more money. I haven't got a problem with in similar to the porgs as its not a massive deal. Just seeing as though you hate characters being created just to sell stuff but i haven't seen any negative response from you about it

This is also not the same thing.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: December 6, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »
So you have no problem in dc adding merchandising as props to make money or creating random new characters like samurai batman to make money. But if disney create characters to aim at kids to sell stuff it is a problem. Okee dokey ::)

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #795 on: December 6, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QfINpLDE_s4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QfINpLDE_s4</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: December 6, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
So you have no problem in dc adding merchandising as props to make money or creating random new characters like samurai batman to make money. But if disney create characters to aim at kids to sell stuff it is a problem. Okee dokey ::)

I must have missed Samurai Batman showing up in Justice League.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: December 6, 2017, 03:52:41 pm »
I must have missed Samurai Batman showing up in Justice League.

you said disney and marvel just create characters to sell to kids/make money from. Hows that any different from batman samurai or whatever they call him? You have also said you hate the fact they made a minion stand alone movie. Again whats the difference to making a stand alone batman samurai film. If they mad a young groot film you'd be complaining :D

Your hate for disney/marvel and bias toward dc just shows the inconsistencies in your logic.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2017, 03:55:45 pm by WillG.LFC »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #798 on: December 6, 2017, 03:59:28 pm »
I think Disney are a corporation looking to making money.

If you don't like commerce and that, you may want to look away from news that could be confirmed as early as next week:

Disney are trying to buy 21st Century Fox. Yes X-men in MCU, blah blah blah
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: December 6, 2017, 04:02:37 pm »
you said disney and marvel just create characters to sell to kids/make money from. Hows that any different from batman samurai or whatever they call him? You have also said you hate the fact they made a minion stand alone movie. Again whats the difference to making a stand alone batman samurai film. If they mad a young groot film you'd be complaining :D

Your hate for disney/marvel and bias toward dc just shows the inconsistencies in your logic.

I'm saying forcing a pointless cutesy character into a movie purely to sell toys is cynical bullshit. That is not the same as a car, or a completely separate anime movie. The Minions are the best example because they were such a runaway success they got a spinoff movie. Disney want that same sort of character for themselves.

I also explained why Baby Groot is the same but also less jarring. It's all in my posts. None of this has anything to do with DC (yet) and you're tripping over yourself trying to push that into the discussion.

Hey Claus, fuck off.