Author Topic: Liverpool v Manchester United - Anfield  (Read 42843 times)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool v Manchester United - Anfield
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:03 am »
Or Burnley. Or Bolton. Or Preston.

Or Blackburn or Wigan. K'nell don't even think it's mentioned when we've played Tranmere.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2016, 11:19:14 am »
Yeah seems a weird thing to bring up. It's obviously not a derby it's just a big game. United are bigger rivals than Everton are these days but that doesn't change anything.

Anyway.
Lots of injury blows at precisely the wrong time, but for once I think we have the strength in depth to cope. Lallana more than anybody else needs to be fit though, player of the season so far.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2016, 11:21:42 am »
There is literally no argument that this is in anyway 'the derby'. Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

Anyone who's saying it is wrong. That's kind of it really. No one from Manchester will be calling this the derby. No one from Liverpool will be calling this the derby. No one in their right mind will be calling this the derby. It isn't the derby. It's a huge game, between arguably the two biggest and most successful clubs in England but it absolutely, without any doubt, is not a derby - let alone 'the' derby.

Doesn't matter if they're nearby in regions, doesn't matter how big the rivalry might be, it isn't the derby and never will be. The end.

That's not necessarily true though. Plenty of people call it the North West Derby. Saying "no-one will call this a derby" over and over again doesn't make it true.

Google "north west derby" and you'll see this right at the top of the page:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/liverpool-v-manchester-united-the-greatest-north-west-derby-encounters-1807274.html

The Independent have an article calling it the North West Derby

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/18/manchester-city-liverpool-premier-league-north-west-derby

The Guardian have called it a North West Derby

I'm not saying it's a very local derby like Liverpool vs Everton or United vs City, but to act so outraged at the idea of someone calling it a derby game of some sort is a bit over the top, as it's quite commonly known as the North West Derby and the definition of a derby inludes regions, so like I said, it's not actually wrong to call it a derby.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2016, 11:23:17 am »
in our last two title runs....2009 and 2014, we did the double over United right? just saying  ;D

Nah but seriously, cant believe this is still almost a week away. Fucking hate these games, and the fact we are gathering a few injuries across the team is not good.

But whoever is representing on the day just needs to step it up

fucksake..after its out the way we can continue hopefully getting more than 2 ppg with a decent looking fixture list for the next month or so
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2016, 11:24:38 am »
This is correct. He is also the most experienced man at the club, and he's 'needless fouls in bad places' have saved god knows how many goals over the years, could use that smart head.

Henderson is one yellow away from a ban already this season. Fouling is part of the job of DM.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:02 am »
Ffs as if there's not enough arguments going on across the forum.

It's not the derby.  It's not a derby.  It's not a NW derby.  It's not any type of derby.

Just because the media, google, other fans want to call it so, does not make it so.

Our one and only derby game is against the bitters.  Always has been, always will be.

I thought our fans were better than toeing a line peddled by others to suit their own agendas  :butt

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:43 am »
If you think this is a Derby you're a bad wool.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2016, 11:33:49 am »
That's not necessarily true though. Plenty of people call it the North West Derby. ------snip--------
I'll refere you to this post I put in the 'small things in life' thread earlier today.

It's the press. They love to push this 'North West Derby' kinda shit.  Unfortunately,  some believe it, hook, line, and sinker.

It's not a derby to anyone out side of the press.  Only they call it that.

The press can big it up all they want. It's not a derby, and never will be.

Edit.

BOOM!   Beat me to it.

Ffs as if there's not enough arguments going on across the forum.

It's not the derby.  It's not a derby.  It's not a NW derby.  It's not any type of derby.

Just because the media, google, other fans want to call it so, does not make it so.

Our one and only derby game is against the bitters.  Always has been, always will be.

I thought our fans were better than toeing a line peddled by others to suit their own agendas  :butt
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:36:06 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
"North West" Derby is a media soundbite designed to whip up the masses and to get SKY pundits creaming themselves in a lather of artificial hype.  As if Liverpool v Manchester United needed hyping up.

We have Merseyside Derbies, Manchester Derbies, London Derbies, Birmingham Derbies etc.  The closest Newcastle get to a Derby is Sunderland but it's no more an actual derby than Southampton v Portsmouth is.  Intense rivalry yes, but derbies are defined as between local teams.  You may as well say City v Arsenal is an English derby because they're in the same country!

Tranmere v Liverpool or Everton is a derby; us versus United isn't.  It's just SKY hype.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
"North West" Derby is a media soundbite designed to whip up the masses and to get SKY pundits creaming themselves in a lather of artificial hype. 

& idiots.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2016, 11:38:43 am »
Derby's can be regional. Newcastle vs Sunderlamd for example. But the difference is that they don't have a local rival in the same city. We have Everton and they have City, so those are The Derby.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2016, 11:39:08 am »
as it's quite commonly known as the North West Derby and the definition of a derby inludes regions, so like I said, it's not actually wrong to call it a derby.

Erm no it isn't. I dont think I've heard a person call it that ever outside of some knob on sky!! Please shut up, you are embarrassing yourself and wikipedia isn't the gospel on what a derby is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:41:14 am by pyroparty »

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2016, 11:40:15 am »
There is literally no argument that this is in anyway 'the derby'. Nothing. Zilch. Zero.

Anyone who's saying it is wrong. That's kind of it really. No one from Manchester will be calling this the derby. No one from Liverpool will be calling this the derby. No one in their right mind will be calling this the derby. It isn't the derby. It's a huge game, between arguably the two biggest and most successful clubs in England but it absolutely, without any doubt, is not a derby - let alone 'the' derby.

Doesn't matter if they're nearby in regions, doesn't matter how big the rivalry might be, it isn't the derby and never will be. The end.

The word derby in other countries has been used to describe major fixtures. The "Derby D'Italia" between Juve and Inter springs to mind. It's just wrong though, and it is no surprise that the poster quoted newspaper articles referring to it as such, as it was an Italian journalist who branded arguably the biggest fixture in  Italian football. The derby for me will always be the day that all the streets in the town centre are empty and the pubs are completely full with everyone in one city supporting either side, bricking it days before. Poor Newcastle fans :P
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:45 am »
SC04OCT, I hope you're not a dentist.

It seems you like to hit a raw nerve.   :D

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 11, 2016, 11:45:23 am »
Haha it's like saying Birmingham v Nottingham Forest is the East V West Midlands Derby. (Not that I'm implying they're anywhere near as big as us and the Mancs.
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #295 on: October 11, 2016, 11:46:09 am »
Doubt anyone calls Liverpool vs Man City the north-west derby.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #296 on: October 11, 2016, 11:46:41 am »
Makes the Burnley loss even worse now though, losing the derby like that  :(

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2016, 11:48:36 am »
Jeez, some of you are really touchy. Okay, if we want to be really pedantic and purist about it, it's not a Derby.

I, myself, have never called it a Derby, I'm just explaining why I don't think it's so outrageous that some people do call it that. I mean, afterall, the definition of a derby game includes regions and as someone has mentioned, Sunderland and Newcastle is a Derby game, so it's not technically incorrect. I just didn't really like the way people were jumping on that poster who called it a derby, talking down at him from high horses.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2016, 11:49:41 am »
it's not a Derby.

Finally, he gets it!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2016, 11:49:52 am »
Derby's can be regional. Newcastle vs Sunderlamd for example. But the difference is that they don't have a local rival in the same city. We have Everton and they have City, so those are The Derby.

Spot on. Ipswich v Norwich for example is certainly a derby for the same reason. Liverpool v United certainly isn't. How can it be 'the' NW derby when there's dozens of them?  ;D

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:15 am »
Finally, he gets it!

I never said it was. I was just explaining why I can understand why people do call it one.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:48 am »
It's definitely the North West Derby

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:55:31 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Andy Hunter

• Rip Van Walford. Committed Iron Pumper! Full of hot air. Due to weighty issues, currently seeking a new hobby.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:39 am »
Makes the Burnley loss even worse now though, losing the derby like that  :(

We beat Derby in the League Cup, guess that counts as a Derby win.  ;D
Did Shevchenko score his rebound?
Why was there an ambulance behind the goal for Tommason's Penalty?
HOW DID GUDJOHNSEN MISS??

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:31 am »
Let's beat these English bastards. We are Scouse, not English!

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2016, 11:56:41 am »
I never said it was.
Fair enough.

The definition of a derby, is playing your nearest geographical rival.

Two in the same city is a derby.

If it's a town or city with only one club, then you can probably legitimately call it a derby if the two nearest clubs are in different towns, but geographically quite close to each other.

Everything else it tosh.

Anyway, you've had an ear bashing now, lets move on and get on with the football talk.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2016, 11:56:50 am »
Did he say that!.....Did he, actually, fuckin, say that!....... you grand wizard of a mockery mother fucker, Grundy!

I hope you lose a testicle through an accident with an Ikea cheese grater.

Shame on you, shame.

You really shouldn't joke about stuff like that mate. That happened twice to my auntie Richard. Try and be a bit more sensitive yeah?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2016, 11:58:36 am »
You really shouldn't joke about stuff like that mate. That happened twice to my auntie Richard. Try and be a bit more sensitive yeah?

Where as you just lost the 'icle'?

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:28 am »
This is a derby just as much as El Clasico is a derby.

Second biggest game in europe from a neutral POV after the mentioned above.

We will win this, best thing that can happen is their guys preforming well in the NT sides and people forgetting how average theyve been so far
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2016, 12:00:53 pm »
Fair enough.

The definition of a derby, is playing your nearest geographical rival.

Two in the same city is a derby.

If it's a town or city with only one club, then you can probably legitimately call it a derby if the two nearest clubs are in different towns, but geographically quite close to each other.

Everything else it tosh.

Anyway, you've had an ear bashing now, lets move on and get on with the football talk.

Yeah, that's true but why do people call the Arsenal vs Chelsea game a Derby if it's restricted to the closest rival? I just think it's not as black and white as it's made out to be, but yeah, that doesn't mean I'll ever call Liverpool/United a derby game, but I do see where people are coming from when they do.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:14 pm »

We will win this, best thing that can happen is their guys preforming well in the NT sides and people forgetting how average theyve been so far
::)

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:48 pm »

Liverpool vs United is bigger than the El Clasico if you go by viewing figures.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
Where as you just lost the 'icle'?

Yes. And the osterone sadly.  :(

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:32 pm »
Liverpool vs United is bigger than the El Clasico if you go by viewing figures.

What viewing figures? I work in broadcasting and have not seen such numbers. Not talking about UK only but in Europe.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2016, 12:05:56 pm »
Jeez, some of you are really touchy. Okay, if we want to be really pedantic and purist about it, it's not a Derby.
Jesus fucking wept! Even when he's flat out fucking wrong it's cos RAWK is being pedantic not cos he's talking media fed shite!

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2016, 12:06:21 pm »
Yeah, that's true but why do people call the Arsenal vs Chelsea game a Derby if it's restricted to the closest rival? I just think it's not as black and white as it's made out to be, but yeah, that doesn't mean I'll ever call Liverpool/United a derby game, but I do see where people are coming from when they do.
Technically, Arsenals derby is with Spurs, and Chelsea with Fullham, but London is a lot more complicated, as you basically have the best part of 10 teams in the same city(different divisions etc)

Anyway, lets leave the derby talk now, it's starting to bore the pants off people.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2016, 12:06:46 pm »
Yeah, that's true but why do people call the Arsenal vs Chelsea game a Derby if it's restricted to the closest rival?

Same city, just 6 miles apart.

Liverpool and Manchester are not the same city, and the two stadiums are close to 30 miles apart.

If anyone is classing a team 30 miles away as a derby fixture then they're an idiot.

Offline The Test

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2016, 12:11:37 pm »
What viewing figures? I work in broadcasting and have not seen such numbers. Not talking about UK only but in Europe.

Where do you work mate? I'm a freelance editor. I'm kind of a big deal. My edit suite smells of rich mahogany.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2016, 12:11:41 pm »
Same city, just 6 miles apart.

Liverpool and Manchester are not the same city, and the two stadiums are close to 30 miles apart.

If anyone is classing a team 30 miles away as a derby fixture then they're an idiot.

Wasn't talking to you ;)

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2016, 12:12:29 pm »
Where do you work mate? I'm a freelance editor. I'm kind of a big deal. My edit suite smells of rich mahogany.

MTG in the Nordics. Love your edit suite smell