Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1782360 times)

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #12600 on: March 6, 2022, 01:04:01 pm »
Besides the Arsenal game, I thought yesterday was the best it has been on the Kop all season though on the TV it came across as very quiet all over. Understandably the last 10 minutes was tense but unlike years ago no groans just singing to spur the team to find that extra last bit of effort to see it out. Hopefully it keeps building and building as we head to the crunch part of the season, warmer weather and bigger games should see to that. Pretty sure there’s gonna be a few games were it’s gonna be really rocking before the end.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #12601 on: March 6, 2022, 01:38:29 pm »
Any reason why there were a load of G4S type stewards on the kop yesterday?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12602 on: March 6, 2022, 02:04:10 pm »
Any reason why there were a load of G4S type stewards on the kop yesterday?

Only done Leeds and Norwich this season, but they were there to stop people going up past row 62 into 306 as loads try go up and stand there. Dunno if the club are employing them as they are impartial, ie they don't have the rapport that you build with the stewards when you see them every home game.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #12603 on: March 6, 2022, 02:08:49 pm »
Thought it was pretty good yesterday. West Ham seemed quiter than usual as well I thought. Still had the usual Sign On and Gerrard songs though the fucking Tory weirdos.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #12604 on: March 6, 2022, 07:21:35 pm »
I was Kop end of Lower Main and I thought it was noticeably louder for much of the match yes. Even got Allez Allez started by Main Stand Upper.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #12605 on: March 6, 2022, 07:36:40 pm »
Thought it was pretty good yesterday. West Ham seemed quiter than usual as well I thought. Still had the usual Sign On and Gerrard songs though the fucking Tory weirdos.
I watched on a stream (weirdly one with Jim Beglin being quite negative about us, is he always like that?!) and thought it sounded really good. You could tell there were times where all four stands were getting involved. Love hearing it like that. Sounds like nowhere else.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #12606 on: March 6, 2022, 08:10:23 pm »
Only done Leeds and Norwich this season, but they were there to stop people going up past row 62 into 306 as loads try go up and stand there. Dunno if the club are employing them as they are impartial, ie they don't have the rapport that you build with the stewards when you see them every home game.
I spoke to one of them yesterday, turned out that he supports Man Utd! They did a decent job yesterday but I did say to him good luck in trying to do the same on Tuesday as it will be way worse.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12607 on: March 6, 2022, 09:49:46 pm »
I spoke to one of them yesterday, turned out that he supports Man Utd! They did a decent job yesterday but I did say to him good luck in trying to do the same on Tuesday as it will be way worse.
My neighbour is a steward at both Anfield and The Pit. He said liverpool bring stewards in from all over the place. The Shite had some down from Blackburn too. Apparently there is a shortage of stewards due to the pandemic. He was saying how when crowds were allowed back into grounds, some games were very close to being called off due to clubs struggling to get enough stewards in.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12608 on: March 7, 2022, 02:26:18 am »
My neighbour is a steward at both Anfield and The Pit. He said liverpool bring stewards in from all over the place. The Shite had some down from Blackburn too. Apparently there is a shortage of stewards due to the pandemic. He was saying how when crowds were allowed back into grounds, some games were very close to being called off due to clubs struggling to get enough stewards in.

The son of the wife’s friend is a steward at Goodson. It was him who called in the medics at the FA cup game last Thursday for a guy with a suspected stroke and got the game paused. Turns out the guy had fallen fast asleep and fell off his seat.

;D

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12609 on: March 7, 2022, 07:10:47 am »
The son of the wife’s friend is a steward at Goodson. It was him who called in the medics at the FA cup game last Thursday for a guy with a suspected stroke and got the game paused. Turns out the guy had fallen fast asleep and fell off his seat.

;D

No wonder games keep getting stopped!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12610 on: March 7, 2022, 07:25:20 am »

They struggled at Leeds, they've had it on Tuesday 😂
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12611 on: March 7, 2022, 09:06:05 am »
Has anyone owned up to paying for that banner in the air then? Very cringe.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12612 on: March 7, 2022, 09:06:41 am »

people have just been jumping over rails through the middle instead  ;D
YNWA.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12613 on: March 7, 2022, 09:28:45 am »
Has anyone owned up to paying for that banner in the air then? Very cringe.

I think a lot of fans chipped into a kitty.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12614 on: March 7, 2022, 10:28:57 am »

;D

:lmao
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12615 on: March 7, 2022, 10:56:13 am »
I watched on a stream (weirdly one with Jim Beglin being quite negative about us, is he always like that?!)

Noticed a lot of the commentators shitting on us this season, always pointing out the negatives and never the positives. Its actually been quite annoying to listen to

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #12616 on: March 7, 2022, 11:10:36 am »
to be fair, Beglin is a bit negative in general, I dont think its directed just to us...dunno if yis heard this (was no way an accident ) :)
https://www.balls.ie/football/jim-beglin-releases-statement-497087
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #12617 on: March 7, 2022, 01:02:07 pm »
I rarely watch the game on TV due to having a ST but I do watch a YOUTUBE channel called Dorking Uncovered, the narrator of the channel used to work for Sky and he said recently that they would always manipulate the crowd noise at PL matches, sometimes lowering the volume and sometimes adding noise (as we saw during behind closed doors games), make of that what you will.

Anyway bar the odd quiet game as mentioned already the atmosphere has been ok and I can see it ramping up as we head towards May.  Just need the stress heads to support rather than moan.

Fractured my elbow so this has taken ages to type with one hand.

Finished
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12618 on: March 7, 2022, 01:36:39 pm »
I rarely watch the game on TV due to having a ST but I do watch a YOUTUBE channel called Dorking Uncovered, the narrator of the channel used to work for Sky and he said recently that they would always manipulate the crowd noise at PL matches, sometimes lowering the volume and sometimes adding noise (as we saw during behind closed doors games), make of that what you will.

Anyway bar the odd quiet game as mentioned already the atmosphere has been ok and I can see it ramping up as we head towards May.  Just need the stress heads to support rather than moan.

Fractured my elbow so this has taken ages to type with one hand.

Finished
That doesn't surprise me. They always seem to have the away fans mic right up, but the Kop right down. It's bizarre that a few hundred singing a shite chant in the away end can often come across louder than thousands on the Kop.

Speedy recovery with that elbow.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12619 on: March 7, 2022, 01:40:35 pm »

;D
:lmao

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12620 on: March 8, 2022, 08:43:43 pm »

;D

Obviously hoping whoever it was is ok but this couldn’t help but come to mind a minute ago

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #12621 on: March 8, 2022, 10:40:10 pm »
Fair play to all the lads in 221 anny road. Refused to sit when stewards demanded it. Created an atmosphere in at least the back three rows. Class
YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12622 on: March 8, 2022, 10:56:50 pm »

;D

I am amazed by that, I think Everton are one of the most entertaining sides in the country at the moment. I never fail to be entertained by their latest antics. He should be grateful  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #12623 on: March 9, 2022, 12:06:37 am »
Not at our best tonight. Though second half we woke up a bit.
In lower main for the first time. Quiet.

Offline deanloco9

• Kopite
« Reply #12624 on: March 9, 2022, 12:58:23 am »
Right I'm going to get right to it.

The puppet parents and fully grown adults need to get out of the stadium with their stupid "PLS SIR CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT" art attack cardboard signs.

The full front row of the lower looked like a WWE event, laminated signs.

How has this become a thing?!?? Why are you trying to make a player sign your scarf during the match too!!

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12625 on: March 9, 2022, 09:33:23 am »

The puppet parents and fully grown adults need to get out of the stadium with their stupid "PLS SIR CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT" art attack cardboard signs.

How has this become a thing?!?? Why are you trying to make a player sign your scarf during the match too!!

It seems like a very recent thing. I do agree, get rid of those stupid cardboard signs.

The atmosphere was pretty poor again. Decent at the start and it picked up a bit once they got the goal. We could’ve easily got knocked out last night and we didn’t play our part. 

I mentioned it in a previous thread but there were some special atmospheres when we transitioned from a Europa league team to a full fledged champions league one in the early Klopp days. We take it more for granted now and with that level of expectancy it means we’re more laid back.

Would love to get to an away game to get a feeling for the atmosphere again as those nights at anfield are very far and few between right now. We’re a tourist club!

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #12626 on: March 9, 2022, 09:40:08 am »
I can't remember the last good atmosphere I was in the ground for at this point. A few rows in front of me a couple must have recorded the entire game on their phones last night.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12627 on: March 9, 2022, 09:49:36 am »

It's pathetic. Genuinely would like to see stewards fuck these things off it knocks me sick.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12628 on: March 9, 2022, 09:52:13 am »

It has been mentioned many times over the last few seasons since it started becoming a common thing to do. Get rid of it to fuck. The players should stop giving their shirts to these people and maybe they'd go away.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12629 on: March 9, 2022, 09:53:19 am »
I have a season ticket in the Main Stand - not the loudest by any means but generally alright most nights.

Last night I had a couple of lads from down south somewhere (I assume London but who knows really). This is usually fine except these ones were spending the entire game just talking shit about us - saying the performance was Dogshit, saying Jones and Trent was terrible, and saying we were getting battered at all times. Probably the worst matchgoers I have heard for a long long time

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #12630 on: March 9, 2022, 11:04:52 am »
Was good to see a full away end last night.

Shite those European games with hardly any away fans.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12631 on: March 9, 2022, 11:28:11 am »
Was good to see a full away end last night.

Shite those European games with hardly any away fans.

Like the reverse of the domestic games where it was great to see a nearly empty Norwich end last week, rather than listen to the usual shit.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12632 on: March 9, 2022, 11:30:49 am »
Thought it started off really good, especially on the Kop. Dwindled a bit no doubt due to the performance and people getting edgy but overall was a good atmosphere and pretty constant singing and support on the Kop.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #12633 on: March 9, 2022, 11:39:50 am »
Thought it was alright until Inter scored. Expected a loud response then (and even more so once Sanchez got sent off), but the ground was very quiet. Far too much negativity as well- seems to be an expectation (certainly around where I was in Upper main) for every pass to be perfect and when it's not people start moaning. People don't appreciate this team. We dominated the game last night (but were incredibly unlucky infront of goal) and saw off a very good Inter side. Embarrassing atmosphere at times. Players deserve far better.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #12634 on: March 9, 2022, 11:56:12 am »
It's all about expectation and people becoming familiar with success. When you are following a team that's lost it's 3rd game in about 50-odd and advanced to the QF of the CL whilst winning the league cup and still competing in the PL and FA Cup, you'd think people would be hugely enthused and excited. You'd expect that to translate to the atmosphere being amazing. That's not always the case. Mainly because expectation changes but also because there becomes a familiarity with winning and competing.

People expect this team to not only win but to win in style. It's based off the very high standards they've set over the last 4-5 seasons. People expect us to have a title challenge, expect us to advance far in the CL and expect us to compete fr domestic cups. That's the correct attitude. With our squad we should expect that. However, we can't expect the players to be faultless. There's always going to be individual games were the team or specific players dip below their normal high level. That has got to be expected and factored into any form of criticism.

I think a few years ago last night's game has an electric atmosphere. Even with the 2-0 lead. The fact we've gotten to 2 CL finals in last 4 years takes away some of the novelty of a R16 game. People quite quickly get accustomed to playing these types of game. Where there was once excitement and fervour, it's replaced with a sense of apathy. We saw it in the Rafa Benitez era. We were regularly getting to CL SF and QFs but atmosphere at those games gradually got worse going from 2004/05 through to 2009/10. I remember people complaining about having to play another QF or SF versus Chelsea. Imagine getting to the point where you are moaning about being in a CL QF or SF!

We are starting to see similar now. The atmosphere is considerably better than 2008-10 because we've won the league and other trophies recently. But that same change in the intensity of the atmosphere at big games is apparent. In saying all that I think it'll pick up in the QF and SF. Te opponents might have a big effect too. Imagine City in the CL QFs either side of the league fixture!
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12635 on: March 9, 2022, 12:01:09 pm »
For loudness it was again the best it’s been all season, early on before kick off and for first 10 minutes and then the first 20 of the second half especially. The sending off came so quickly that we never needed to turn it up after that. Must admit with the way it’s been all season I was a bit concerned for the CL knockouts but not now once the big guns come we will dial it up as we normally do.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #12636 on: March 9, 2022, 12:09:29 pm »
So many moaning around me when we were passing it round in the 85th, desperate for us to either get it in the box or have a hit and hope from 40 yards. Couldn't believe what I was hearing, there was only 1 goal in it and they can't score if we've got the ball lads.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12637 on: March 9, 2022, 12:17:33 pm »
Was a couple of other Curtis bashers a few rows from me, just all fucking game too and when he made a good pass not joining in with any applause, like what the fuck is that about? It's like a need to be a twat and spout venom, I guess they carry that shit on outside too, sad as fuck. Nothing wrong with having a moan but to the extent it becomes your entire mission at the game to be miserable then what's the fucking point? Desperate for him to fail so they can say "I told you so".

A usual by us where our ACS seats are there were some really funny guys screaming at Vidal and his haircut and joining in with songs which made it a bit more fun thankfully, otherwise it'd be a bit depressing.

Agree with the expectations point. I think thats a factor and also a lot of people, as did some players by the looks of it, think we were through already, so just watch us going through the motions. I expect and hope the next games that become tighter and more important will produce what we all know to be one of the best atmospheres in Europe.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12638 on: March 9, 2022, 12:35:21 pm »
The atmosphere was okay and pretty much what you would expect for this tie, given that it's only the last 16 and we were two nil up.
Chelsea 2005 and Barcelona 2019 don't come around too often. That's why they are the stuff of legend.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12639 on: March 9, 2022, 12:40:19 pm »
You could quite clearly hear the Inter fans signing ‘ Questa è una biblioteca?’ after 5 minutes.