Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1759605 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #12400 on: January 17, 2022, 11:41:04 am »
Would someone with a big drum at the front of the Kop help? If it's communicated widely enough so people aren't surprised/irritated by it and it's a short-term thing, it might get the songs brought down to a reasonable tempo.

Fucking hell
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #12401 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:29 am »
I know it's a shit suggestion, but there's got to be something done about every song being over in 30 seconds.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12402 on: January 17, 2022, 11:49:24 am »
I know it's a shit suggestion, but there's got to be something done about every song being over in 30 seconds.

An intricate system of carefully administered electric shocks delivered to those songsters who can't keep time. Just mild ones. To begin with at least. Increasing in intensity if the songsters show an inability to learn.

If it works - and I don't see why it wouldn't - we could then move on to something similar for those who don't sing at all. Maybe a sort of plunger installed in the seats that forces people on to their feet every time a song starts, plus the electric shock to make them sing.

Jeez, I need to get down the Patent Office before someone steals these ideas.....
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #12403 on: January 17, 2022, 11:50:28 am »
Works for me. We could give people in the Upper Main the buttons to administer.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12404 on: January 17, 2022, 03:01:17 pm »
If the club had any sense, it would make Spion Kop 1906 an official part of the club. Custodians of the Kop. Create some sort of membership scheme for L addressed 18-25 year olds and give them a few thousand rail seats all together on the Kop. A half seasonly Ballot for seat. £20 a ticket, make the players subsidise them. You can only pass tickets on to others registered and once your 25 you’re out with the general admission crew. Get the same kids in the same spot making up songs every week and leading the stadium. Basically what Jamie Webster did for a few years.

Ever since they first put seats in the Annie, the Club have stopped groups of young lads from gathering behind the goal. When they first put seats in the Annie, they'd have done the same to the Kop back then, if they could have got away with it.

Of course that'd change the atmosphere but no chance of it ever happening. They made their first move in 82/83, they'll never allow it again.

The real solution is simple. If you don't like it as it is, stop going. I go very rarely but when I do, I enjoy it a lot more than when I was going regularly.

It is what it is. And rose tinted glasses, etc. It was never that good in the first place. When you accept that, t makes it easier to enjoy.

Well, it may have been really good every week in the 60s to early 70s. But Timbo's rubbished that. And I remember my Dad saying it was better in the 50s than the 60s. No singing - just roaring.

The Kop was always best when you were a kid. The kids now will grow up saying it was great every week.

When you're a kid you don't notice the atmosphere as much, you're just excited by the football. But in my own rose tinted memories, the 80s were great. But really, I've just forgotten the times when I could hear somebody on the other side of the Kop cough.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline bossjon

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12405 on: January 17, 2022, 03:40:52 pm »
If the club had any sense, it would make Spion Kop 1906 an official part of the club. Custodians of the Kop. Create some sort of membership scheme for L addressed 18-25 year olds and give them a few thousand rail seats all together on the Kop. A half seasonly Ballot for seat. £20 a ticket, make the players subsidise them. You can only pass tickets on to others registered and once your 25 you’re out with the general admission crew. Get the same kids in the same spot making up songs every week and leading the stadium. Basically what Jamie Webster did for a few years.

Something like this is the only thing the club pro-actively can and should do. Get young people in, locals, and make it possibly for them to be together at the ground. The 200s block should be Spion Kop area, 2000-3000 supporters. Now with safe-standing it should be feasible.
Rest is up to us, sadly it is just a fact that too many people at anfield and in general don´t really give a fuck.

It so strange at times that there can be a belting rendition of Allez a couple of minutes after we score, but then 5 minutes later FOAR can´t get around the Kop. Are people suddenly shy of singing? “Not bothered” five minutes later? Really strange. Need to be a bit more vocal fans spread out around The Kop I think, a lot of people myself included would like to sing but feel restrained when eight people around you are dead quiet, unless there is a really loud chant and you can barely hear your own voice, then it feels ok to join.

It has always been quiet for these types of games though (Brentford 2pm), but what really makes me sad is not even the European games, cup semifinals or against the "top4" there is an intimidating atmosphere anymore.
At least until 2012 and perhaps until the new Main Stand you could at least always expect a proper atmosphere in those type of games. It wasn´t magical but at least there was an edge to it and some proper belting songs. Since Jurgen took over, despite the splendidtype of heavy metal football, I can count on two hands the amount of games where the atmosphere have lived up to its reputation. Some of the City clashes 3-4 years ago, some CL (Barca) and EL (Dortmund) games where the games have been out of this world but beside those  there have been very few, especially in the league.

I would say in the big matches we still had the best atmosphere in England up until Rafa left, were some proper atmospheres in Rafas first seasons.

Would you say the new Main Stand has improved the atmosphere, or made it worse despite the increase in numbers?
The old Main Stand was a very compact and quite small stand but had a lot of people in it close to the ground, maybe the acoustics where better.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:43:29 pm by bossjon »

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #12406 on: January 17, 2022, 05:09:59 pm »
Agree with some comments about back in the day, I went plenty of games in the 80’s that where no different than yesterday and I don’t think now is much different, it’s always about mood for me, City’s lead has given it a bit of a going through the motions feel and add to that some discontent around the owners brewing up over a lack of investment in the team it’s easy to see why people are a bit pissed off

Up to Christmas it had been decent this season I thought culminating in the Leicester cup game which was excellent, but since then it’s been really poor

Let’s not forget the time of year as well though, January is the shittest month of the year, people are general depressed this time of year
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12407 on: January 17, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »
Would someone with a big drum at the front of the Kop help? If it's communicated widely enough so people aren't surprised/irritated by it and it's a short-term thing, it might get the songs brought down to a reasonable tempo.

As someone that goes to my local club's games and stands about 15 feet away from someone that constantly bangs a drum for 90 minutes - No  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12408 on: January 17, 2022, 06:36:13 pm »
I’m under no illusion that it can be rocking every game. But what can be worked on is the variety of songs and bringing back our character at the match. 95% of songs have come from the same group of kids being on the same coach for hours and honing the good ones into common chants that everyone else latches onto. That used to be also done on the Kop, but now you have no idea what loon you’re going to end up standing next to and the majority are going to come out with something embarrassing they saw on ladbible. That’s why we need a young, core, regular Anfield section for some quality control. And to bring back some well-placed Scouse gumption.

The thing I hate the most isn’t the periods of silence or the bumpkins in the away end singing about how shit the atmosphere is, it’s the lack of witty retort that makes me cringe. We just lay down and take it.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12409 on: January 17, 2022, 06:56:51 pm »
Always thought ‘player chants’ songs should be played in the 15 mins before the run up to kick off to get the crowd going but it’s the same metal songs every game where you can barely hear yourself think before the players come out.

Jamie Webster’s ‘This Place’ played before Chelsea which was really good with a lot of the Kop singing along for a local boy doing well. Then, not played since.

he does sometimes lay those 'player songs' (or the reference songs at least) but they basically get ignored and don't really pump the crowd at all in truth, especially when most the ground is still empty.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12410 on: January 17, 2022, 06:59:57 pm »
ultimately you can find a million reasons the atmosphere is shite, but it's perpetuated by the majority of fans conceding the title already. the start of the season i also think because of the covid 'break' of fans and us being shite during that period a lot of fans were uncertain what to expect and were still getting back into matchgoing motions.

do agree that it needs to be easier for younger fans to become regulars, but going forward with a ballot those kids will probably at best get a handful of tickets unless they have an 'in' with someone with credits or a STH.

all the 'shoot' shouts need to be legged though, really cringe. i'm hopeful our CL games will be much better. we need an allez allez allez level song which gets all factions of our fanbase singing and up. some of the 'classics' don't really translate that well to a wider audience, or even a younger audience (local or not).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:11:04 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12411 on: January 17, 2022, 07:05:49 pm »
Ever since they first put seats in the Annie, the Club have stopped groups of young lads from gathering behind the goal. When they first put seats in the Annie, they'd have done the same to the Kop back then, if they could have got away with it.

Of course that'd change the atmosphere but no chance of it ever happening. They made their first move in 82/83, they'll never allow it again.

The real solution is simple. If you don't like it as it is, stop going. I go very rarely but when I do, I enjoy it a lot more than when I was going regularly.

It is what it is. And rose tinted glasses, etc. It was never that good in the first place. When you accept that, t makes it easier to enjoy.

Well, it may have been really good every week in the 60s to early 70s. But Timbo's rubbished that. And I remember my Dad saying it was better in the 50s than the 60s. No singing - just roaring.

The Kop was always best when you were a kid. The kids now will grow up saying it was great every week.

When you're a kid you don't notice the atmosphere as much, you're just excited by the football. But in my own rose tinted memories, the 80s were great. But really, I've just forgotten the times when I could hear somebody on the other side of the Kop cough.

very valid post.
YNWA.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12412 on: January 17, 2022, 08:06:30 pm »
As someone that goes to my local club's games and stands about 15 feet away from someone that constantly bangs a drum for 90 minutes - No  :D

If you tune in to Sky Sports Football now, you'll hear the annoying little c*nt banging away
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12413 on: January 17, 2022, 08:35:08 pm »

Too few scarves in the Kop for YNWA, worst stand in the ground for it. The intimidating wall of red is sadly a thing of the past.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12414 on: January 17, 2022, 08:41:21 pm »
Too few scarves in the Kop for YNWA, worst stand in the ground for it. The intimidating wall of red is sadly a thing of the past.

The contrast between the Kop in both Chelsea semis with the Barca game is monumental.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #12415 on: January 17, 2022, 09:51:12 pm »

It's the people that make for an intimidating atmosphere, not scarves.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12416 on: January 17, 2022, 10:42:03 pm »

Try playing a drum during ynwa. I bet you be kicked out in 5 minutes. Don't want to turn into a Portsmouth or Blackburn. Might aswell get some pissed up divvy with a microphone like they do in Europe ;). Oddly it works for those teams that use it but wouldn't here.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12417 on: January 17, 2022, 11:16:14 pm »

Kinda looks good though.

https://twitter.com/oldpicposter/status/758045549610340352
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12418 on: January 18, 2022, 12:13:09 am »
Kinda looks good though.

https://twitter.com/oldpicposter/status/758045549610340352
Stunning.

I used to absolutely love being right in the middle of that. I can't recall the game that was taken at now, but I recall the picture from back then and I was chuffed that I was right in there in it even though I couldn't find myself within the heaving mass of red.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12419 on: January 18, 2022, 12:16:41 am »
Yep. It saddens me.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12420 on: January 18, 2022, 12:19:32 am »
The Spion Kop used to have the perfect combination of both noise and visuals. Together, they scared the shit out of the opposition. If I was in other parts of the ground, I couldn't keep my eyes off the old Spion Kop.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12421 on: January 18, 2022, 02:17:32 am »
Personally didn’t think it was that bad for a chilly 2pm vs Brentford. It’s never going to be ravenous for a game like that.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12422 on: January 18, 2022, 02:36:35 am »
Could write a book on this. Probably have in fact  ;D. Thing is let’s never forget first of all that, whatever the atmosphere is like in any particular match these days, the very culture of crowd singing/chanting we’re talking about began just short of 60 years ago on the Anfield Spion Kop. And that unique legacy is a wondrous and magical phenomenon which trumps everything crowd-wise that’s happened anywhere ever since or will happen again at each and every stadium in world football.

I was reminded of this by a mate of a mate who was sat next to me on Saturday. Originally from the London area, he was telling me that he became a Liverpool fan when attending the West Ham v L’pool game at Upton Park in 1966, which it so happened coincided with my own first season attending most of the Red’s away games when we’d regularly take 10,000 to every away ground and completely occupy every main away end since the ‘home’ supporters of no other club bar Everton by that time had quite fully absorbed or begun to mimic the singing/chanting scarf and banner bearing ‘end’ culture which we Kopites had not just invented but had by that time perfected to an art form. In short we lorded it at every away venue, wherever it happened to be [save Glasgow - but that’s another story].

Anyroad, Kevin my friend’s mate, relayed to me the thing which had captivated him that day as a 13 year old lad stood with his dad at the opposite end to where we all congregated and which had ensured that from that day he had become a fervent Red. The entire opposite end of the ground bedecked in red and white belting out homage to our beloved Reds had captured his heart and soul. And here was me thinking some 54 years after the event that no fucker had noticed!

Some legacy huh.  :)

Anyway, as for Satdee’s game and other recent ones which are the current bone of contention, yes the atmosphere was shit. No question about that. But whilst acknowledging that, let nobody kid themselves that we never had shit atmospheres like that in the past. Certainly we did not in the ‘60’s and most of the 70’s but thereafter any not so vital league game could find atmospheres not too far removed from what we had on Saturday.

Also, two other reflections on Saturday’s low key effort.

First let’s never forget the sterling efforts of those who always do make the effort. So easy to forget that as we press our keyboard keys deriding shite atmospheres. Those stalwarts on the Kop [except when they bore us all to fucking death with their ale house favourite Every Other Satdee] and in the upper main stand plus a few others such as myself who do try their damndest to get songs and chants going. Sure most efforts don’t ignite in a game such as Saturday because the instigators are surrounded by so many miserable sods who seem determined to reserve their own vocal contributions only for more stirring occasions that grab them. Leicester in league cup when two goals down anyone? But for goodness sake let’s give credit where it’s due to the valiant ones who do regularly try their best.

Second, let’s also never forget that there is another crucial difference in atmosphere these days. Back in the day even in huge games the singing/chanting with only very rare exceptions was confined to the Kop with perhaps some limited contribution from the Annie Road. These days for the big games we often have the entire ground joining in and when the occasion demands it Anfield with its four sided vocal assault still invariably rises to such occasions and can still provide an atmosphere to rank with most from the past.

So let’s not be too quick to beat ourselves up when things aren’t quite so boisterous as we’d like them to be. Twas often the same in past times and in truth actually ensures that when the special atmospheres do come they can be savoured all the more.

:)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12423 on: January 18, 2022, 12:20:44 pm »
^
Nice post there, Timbo.  :scarf

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12424 on: January 18, 2022, 12:26:23 pm »
^
Nice post there, Timbo.  :scarf

Yes, somebody mentioned Pompey earlier. That drum.

But it's good to remember that even in its heyday the Kop could be out-sung. Never more so than when Pompey came to Anfield for a cup game in 1980.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12425 on: January 18, 2022, 01:04:58 pm »

Great post Timbo. You’re absolutely right and I agree that non stop singing isn’t going to happen and that the crowd will always respond to the ebb and flow of the game. If we’re 3-0 up it’s going to be quieter than if we come back from behind.

I do think it takes minimal effort to start the game on the right foot with a sea of red, belting YNWA. To this day I’m convinced Chelsea filled their trousers in the CL semis in 2005 and 2007 when they came out to the spectacle of the Kop in all its resplendent glory. I don’t think the change is all down to miserable old gits. I suspect there’s a fair few young uns who think wearing colours or singing isn’t cool and is less important than taking a selfie.

I’m in my 40s so I can see where I’m heading and can remember where I’ve been though we didn’t have phones in those days of course!

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12426 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:22 pm »
Great post Timbo. You’re absolutely right and I agree that non stop singing isn’t going to happen and that the crowd will always respond to the ebb and flow of the game. If we’re 3-0 up it’s going to be quieter than if we come back from behind.

I do think it takes minimal effort to start the game on the right foot with a sea of red, belting YNWA. To this day I’m convinced Chelsea filled their trousers in the CL semis in 2005 and 2007 when they came out to the spectacle of the Kop in all its resplendent glory. I don’t think the change is all down to miserable old gits. I suspect there’s a fair few young uns who think wearing colours or singing isn’t cool and is less important than taking a selfie.

I’m in my 40s so I can see where I’m heading and can remember where I’ve been though we didn’t have phones in those days of course!

There was a big "Reclaim the Kop" campaign within that 2005-2007 period, so there were plenty of issues then. The solution was the 300 blocks which hasn't worked (was in the wrong place and the noise doesn't travel).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12427 on: January 18, 2022, 04:19:57 pm »
The only thing I would say is pre Covid the atmosphere at Anfield was pretty damn good for three years or so....this year its so fucking flat something has clearly took the wind out our sales....Covid? Ticket issuing? Team performance?....maybe all three , but its not right to blame certain fan 'types' cos the same people where making a rollicking atmosphere 18 months ago which sorta kills that argument,

Offline Red_Faction

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12428 on: January 18, 2022, 04:21:33 pm »
I agree with loads of what had been written here. I agree the Kop was never wall to wall noise especially for less important games. But something needs to improve as having no marks like Brentford taking this piss out of us with no responce is just too much. They were even singing 'this is embarrassing' and that hurt coz it was true! I know there are loads of people who feel the same and timbos post about this is spot on.

RTK got some traction, the 300s came from this but it is not the right place for this to me effective. Is there dialogue with club about this. Wasn't there stuff about support representatives and liaison? What are groupsb like 1906 view on stuff like this? What about other supporters groups?

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12429 on: January 18, 2022, 05:27:28 pm »
To be honest SK1906 seem to be constantly battling against the club being unhelpful to them.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12430 on: January 18, 2022, 06:17:02 pm »

But it's good to remember that even in its heyday the Kop could be out-sung. Never more so than when Pompey came to Anfield for a cup game in 1980.

Remember that game distinctly but for different reasons. We lived just down Utting Avenue in Stanley Park Ave. On the way home from the game as I neared our house a lad in his late teens with his coat all ripped tore past me, then suddenly stopped and pleaded with me to help him. I quickly appraised what was happening as such situations weren’t exactly rarities back then when you happened to live close to the ground and sure enough bounding towards us came the usual Annie Road suspects hunting their prey.

I immediately ushered the petrified lad up our side path and in through our front door which was thankfully open as our kids had been outside playing. The Annie Roaders, there were  about half a dozen of them, pulled up at our front gate as I fronted them and clearly didn’t have clue what to do next as I told them the missus was inside already phoning the police. After a brief stand off with insults flying both ways - cos I fucking despised the cowardly bastards - and with a few neighbours coming out to see what the commotion was about they melted away and I went inside to see the poor lad.

As it turned out the lad wasn’t even Pompey fan. He was a Liverpool fan - but stupidly scarfless - from down south but was on his own and these heroic Annie Roadenders had done their usual trick of asking him the time and clocking his non-scouseness. c*nts.

Anyroad, long story me and Mag fed him, gave him a spare coat and drove him to Lime Street and never heard from him again. Seem to recall it wasn’t a bad coat either.

Nowt to do with the atmosphere but hey ho.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #12431 on: January 18, 2022, 07:00:17 pm »

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12432 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01:43 pm »
Remember that game distinctly but for different reasons. We lived just down Utting Avenue in Stanley Park Ave. On the way home from the game as I neared our house a lad in his late teens with his coat all ripped tore past me, then suddenly stopped and pleaded with me to help him. I quickly appraised what was happening as such situations weren’t exactly rarities back then when you happened to live close to the ground and sure enough bounding towards us came the usual Annie Road suspects hunting their prey.

I immediately ushered the petrified lad up our side path and in through our front door which was thankfully open as our kids had been outside playing. The Annie Roaders, there were  about half a dozen of them, pulled up at our front gate as I fronted them and clearly didn’t have clue what to do next as I told them the missus was inside already phoning the police. After a brief stand off with insults flying both ways - cos I fucking despised the cowardly bastards - and with a few neighbours coming out to see what the commotion was about they melted away and I went inside to see the poor lad.

As it turned out the lad wasn’t even Pompey fan. He was a Liverpool fan - but stupidly scarfless - from down south but was on his own and these heroic Annie Roadenders had done their usual trick of asking him the time and clocking his non-scouseness. c*nts.

Anyroad, long story me and Mag fed him, gave him a spare coat and drove him to Lime Street and never heard from him again. Seem to recall it wasn’t a bad coat either.

Nowt to do with the atmosphere but hey ho.

Timbo and his goals, never to be fucked with... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12433 on: January 18, 2022, 08:37:52 pm »
I agree with loads of what had been written here. I agree the Kop was never wall to wall noise especially for less important games. But something needs to improve as having no marks like Brentford taking this piss out of us with no responce is just too much. They were even singing 'this is embarrassing' and that hurt coz it was true! I know there are loads of people who feel the same and timbos post about this is spot on.

RTK got some traction, the 300s came from this but it is not the right place for this to me effective. Is there dialogue with club about this. Wasn't there stuff about support representatives and liaison? What are groupsb like 1906 view on stuff like this? What about other supporters groups?

I'd actually take issue with that. It's a cold Sunday lunchtime in January at home to Brentford. What do they expect? We're not there to entertain them. Even if the Kop was in decent voice they'd still chant the same shit.

It might well have been quiet but what was Griffin Park like when they were at home to Morecambe or someone with 4,000 there?

In terms of the atmosphere in general the supporters groups should do more to highlight it with the club while Klopp is here because he wants a noisy crowd (while recognising it's never going to be noisy every week). That 2016-2020 period was good though pre-lockdown. The 18 month break has reset it to what it was like before Klopp and the buzz has gone.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 08:43:13 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12434 on: January 18, 2022, 10:49:40 pm »

That's smashing.

That kid'll be eternally grateful. I used to travel with two pals to Liverpool home games on the train from Hudders. In '76 we had our own home-made banner to fly from the Kop - a simple white sheet with red lettering saying 'L.F.C'. (not the most sophisticated flag the Kop has ever seen!). We'd got into the habit of holding it up against the window when the train stopped at Manchester Victoria. They were in the Second Division at the time of course. So they were especially angry at seeing 'LFC' waving at their railway station. On one horrible occasion the carriage suddenly filled up with outraged Mancs who made straight for us and the banner. They were considerably older and bigger than we were and we were petrified. We were also reconciled to losing our lovely flag. But just as they started to lay into us a little old lady on the train piped up. A Mancunian. "Oh, leave 'em alone, you bullies. They didn't mean harm". It had an instant effect. Shame! They left as quickly as they came.

I felt terrible at the time at being rescued by a pensioner. But I've never forgotten her.

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #12435 on: January 18, 2022, 11:03:53 pm »

Great memory Yorky, that match had slipped mine.

This is the Pompey report of that match if you can expand the text.

https://www.lfchistory.net/images/newspapers/various/PortsmouthFCYearBookExtract-1980-10-28-Portsmouth.JPG?width=334

As Timbo has said we shouldn’t do ourselves down, The Kop has never been on top form every game but never fear it can rise to the occasion.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12436 on: January 18, 2022, 11:39:50 pm »
Great memory Yorky, that match had slipped mine.

This is the Pompey report of that match if you can expand the text.

https://www.lfchistory.net/images/newspapers/various/PortsmouthFCYearBookExtract-1980-10-28-Portsmouth.JPG?width=334

As Timbo has said we shouldn’t do ourselves down, The Kop has never been on top form every game but never fear it can rise to the occasion.

Nice one Redtel. I'm struggling to read that report, but the picture of the ticker tape welcome brings back memories. I imagine they'd got that from the Argentina World Cup of 78 when the home team came out to those avalanches of white paper.

Before that, of course, there was the old bog roll throwing. The days of hard toilet paper in pubs and service stations. Horrible to clean the crack with, but brilliant for throwing long distances. Much better than soft paper. The Kop goal was often festooned in the stuff, right? "Aim for the net lads".

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #12437 on: January 19, 2022, 12:07:20 am »
Ha ha, yeah we just accepted that the goal nets would be covered with toilet paper before k.o.

I think the linos got the job of removing it all.

You’re correct about the ‘78 World Cup being our first sighting of ticker tape on the pitch. They gave up clearing it up and just got on with the match.

You may be able to read this report more clearly. Pompey played some good stuff it says.

https://www.lfchistory.net/images/newspapers/brianduffy/GuardianMatchReport-1980-10-28-portsmouth.jpg?width=334

I do remember another Cup match earlier that year when Grimsby visited for an FAC game. Famous for the Kop’s retort to “You only sing when your winning” with “You only sing when your fishing”. With the Reds comfortably ahead that set up the chants of Phil Eel, Kenny Dogfish, Jimmy Plaice etc. A good time to be on the Kop.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12438 on: January 19, 2022, 12:16:23 am »
Ll
Nice one Redtel. I'm struggling to read that report, but the picture of the ticker tape welcome brings back memories. I imagine they'd got that from the Argentina World Cup of 78 when the home team came out to those avalanches of white paper.

Before that, of course, there was the old bog roll throwing. The days of hard toilet paper in pubs and service stations. Horrible to clean the crack with, but brilliant for throwing long distances. Much better than soft paper. The Kop goal was often festooned in the stuff, right? "Aim for the net lads".

Always remember a game in mid 60's against United and before the game the Kop goal was festooned in bog rolls. As the ref and linesman worked feverishly to clear it all up came the chant "Ee-Aye Addio the ref wants a shit". Seem to recall you could hear it on the Sunday highlight game with Gerald Sindstadt the next day.

Offline Valleys Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12439 on: January 28, 2022, 10:33:26 pm »
A Google search for tickets any of our remaining games literally finds 100s advertised on dodgy tout sites, and a fair number of these are for seats in the Kop, sometimes for £100+.

So this suggests that ST holders are flogging their tickets for profit, and these in turn are being bought by newbies. Ideally the club would do more to stop this happening, not least cos it hampers the atmosphere. But what i don't get is why would so many ST holders not be going to games?