Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1817965 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #12320 on: October 10, 2017, 12:12:07 pm »
Not arsed at all about Can. Good player, maybe he becomes a top player, but I just don't think he fits what we are trying to do all that well. Keita will be a significant upgrade and if we can get a proper no.6 to compete with Henderson then it's a much improved and better-balanced midfield group IMO.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #12321 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »
Pretty sure it was covered by the usual group that he wasn't signing because we were refusing to put a release clause in his contract.

We should have put the release clause in. He's a good player but certainly not irreplaceable. Why not collect the money if need be and buy a replacement?

When the alternative is him going for free? I don't understand it.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #12322 on: October 10, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »
Juventus won't offer him more money than we are. I doubt they'll be silly enough to add a release clause. He probably suits Italy more.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12323 on: October 10, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
Just imagine for a moment that Can did stay next season and went number 6. (Maybe as skipper?) Also that Coutinho stays. We could do this.

Can

Keita Lallana Coutinho

Salah Firminho Mane

That's a team that keeps the ball, that attacks with fluency and pace, that likes a fucking tackle, and knows when and how to press. Goals everywhere too. And probably a lot less conceded.
Need to see more of Emre Can at CDM but at the moment it doesn't look like his future formation for us. He ballwatches too much.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #12324 on: October 10, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »
Not arsed at all about Can. Good player, maybe he becomes a top player, but I just don't think he fits what we are trying to do all that well. Keita will be a significant upgrade and if we can get a proper no.6 to compete with Henderson then it's a much improved and better-balanced midfield group IMO.
I don't get this logic, let me get this straight, Emre doesn't suit our 10 year without a trophy scraping 4th place squad and yet he suits league winners and seasoned Champions League team that goes far in the competition almost every year.

We should have put the release clause in. He's a good player but certainly not irreplaceable. Why not collect the money if need be and buy a replacement?

When the alternative is him going for free? I don't understand it.
It's crazy not only did we cost ourselves 20-30mil but we're now developing a player for Juve/Bayern free of charge?!
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12325 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »
I don't get this logic, let me get this straight, Emre doesn't suit our 10 year without a trophy scraping 4th place squad and yet he suits league winners and seasoned Champions League team that goes far in the competition almost every year.
It's crazy not only did we cost ourselves 20-30mil but we're now developing a player for Juve/Bayern free of charge?!

Maybe they see the financial value in getting him in on a free?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12326 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:56 pm »

He doesn't want to sign a contract and we have tried.

We have to play him.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #12327 on: October 10, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
It's not only mind boggling it's very depressing as it represents the lack of faith a top prospect has in this club. What I don't understand is:

1. Why the club/Klopp have not been challenged in the press at all regarding the situation

2. What are Emre's reasons for not signing - if it's some form of disrespect the club have shown him by low-balling him on wages similar to what we did with Sterling - I want to know this

3. Why the club/Klopp have not addressed the issue in the summer - if Can said he wasn't signing because of whatever reasons then get what you can for him and at least try and save some face. Now he's getting minutes that a player committed to Liverpool should be getting because of our poor planing.

All the people saying Can isn't really that good etc are probably the same ones that said Ibe was a ready made replacement for Sterling. Emre at only 23 is 2 games away from having 20 international caps for Germany has 130 odd appearances for LFC, add three more years of development on him and he'll start hitting his prime.
He wants a buy out clause and the club doesn't want to give him 1, btw offering Sterling 100k a week wasn't low balling him

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #12328 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:08 pm »
He wants a buy out clause and the club doesn't want to give him 1, btw offering Sterling 100k a week wasn't low balling him
"I had Raheem Sterling playing for England and a regular in the Liverpool first team on £2,000 per week.

"I couldn't do it any longer than about the November time because he was absolutely brilliant, so we had to get him on a different contract. But I stretched it out as long as I could."

He then earned 35k per week after that until his move to City where he's on a reported 180k a week
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #12329 on: October 10, 2017, 09:38:38 pm »
"I had Raheem Sterling playing for England and a regular in the Liverpool first team on £2,000 per week.

"I couldn't do it any longer than about the November time because he was absolutely brilliant, so we had to get him on a different contract. But I stretched it out as long as I could."

He then earned 35k per week after that until his move to City where he's on a reported 180k a week
That's because he turned down contract offers, he wasn't "low balled". Similar to Can his agent wanted a buy out clause and LFC weren't willing to give him 1.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12330 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:56 am »

It's the team of champions vs champion team logic. If you've got 11 players working together that fit the team's philosophy then they can punch above their weight as we saw with Leicester. That logic places Can as a quality player that fits into a team of champions, but if we are to achieve anything under Klopp we need someone that helps us be a champion team.

And both Bayern and Juventus have fantastic teams, have had that over the last decade. But it's their team, playing their style, with their philosophy. What works for them doesn't necessarily work for us.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12331 on: October 14, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »
So slow. So ponderous. So lacking in creativity.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12332 on: October 14, 2017, 02:38:51 pm »
Adam can't come back soon enough. I was hopeful we'd seen the return of beast Wijnaldum after the first but he was tragic in the second and Coutinho was utterly raging at him a few times. Emre lacked urgency apart from a few occasions and some of Hendo's dodgy passing was infuriating. Ah well, is what it is, bedwetter etc.

I already cant wait for this season to end to be honest, it's not bad, it's just so mehhhhhhh. Keita changes everything.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12333 on: October 14, 2017, 02:40:17 pm »
Weakest part of the team for me is that midfield three. Keita goes someway to address it but with can' s future uncertain and lallana turning 30 we need a couple of new additions. Unless grujic is somehow going to cement a place over the next 6 months

Jordan Henderson cannot consistently pass a football well.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:43:04 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12334 on: October 14, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »
Weakest part of the team for me is that midfield three. Keita goes someway to address it but with can' s future uncertain and lallana turning 30 we need a couple of new additions. Unless grujic is somehow going to cement a place over the next 6 months

I thought Henderson's passing was very consistent today. 5 yards to Matip. Get it back. 5 yards to Lovren. Get it back. 5 Yards to Matip...

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12335 on: October 14, 2017, 02:45:19 pm »

Agree with all of this.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12336 on: October 14, 2017, 02:50:07 pm »
When people analyse that match they’ll see the vast majority of it was Henderson and Can in particular going sideways and back particularly in the first half it was infuriating. Or 5 yard passes forward to them go back and taking fucking ages to get the ball under control. Ignoring great runs ahead of them dwelling on the ball to instead play the simple pass.

Utd were happy to let them have the ball because they couldn’t hurt them.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12337 on: October 14, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »

Emre really has snuffed the dynamism out of the midfield. When Lallana comes back, we’ll start pressing properly again. He cant come back soon enough, we’ve really missed him - in the time he’s been out we’re out the title race, but need to get back on track for Top 4 - him coming back, hopefully fully fit and raring to go, and we can start playing our football again.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #12338 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:07 pm »
Is it just the default mode to come and complain about the midfield every time we don't win a game? I thought they played really well, they provided the platform and dominated their midfield, we just didn't finish the chances. It's telling that Klopp didn't want to change the midfield as they were operating very well as a unit. I lost count the amount of times Henderson found Salah, Coutinho and Firmino in front of their defense and they didn't take the right options.

I think people forget that we were playing against one of the most expensive squad ever assembled who were dead set on sitting back and not give us any space, it's going to be really though to break into that but we did create a decent amount of chances.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:57:51 pm by Lastrador »

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12339 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »
Emre really has snuffed the dynamism out of the midfield. When Lallana comes back, we’ll start pressing properly again. He cant come back soon enough, we’ve really missed him - in the time he’s been out we’re out the title race, but need to get back on track for Top 4 - him coming back, hopefully fully fit and raring to go, and we can start playing our football again.

Henderson and Wijnaldum are just as bad though. Henderson spent the game playing one twos with his centre backs and refusing to play any quick incisive passes forward. Wijnaldum was probably the best of the three but then as soon as he crosses the magical line which takes him from the middle third to the final third, his brain stop working properly and he takes an eternity to make any type of decision.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #12340 on: October 14, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »
Well Henderson 4 key passes must have happened while playing 5 yard passes to Lovren and Matip I guess.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12341 on: October 14, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »
Is just the default mode to come and complain about the midfield every time we don't win a game? I thought they played really well, they provided the platform and dominated their midfield, we just didn't finish the chances. It's telling that Klopp didn't want to change the midfield as they were operating very well as a unit. I lost count the amount of times Henderson found Salah, Coutinho and Firmino in front of their defense and they didn't take the right options.

I think people forget that we were playing against one of the most expensive squad ever assembled who were dead set on sitting back and not give us any space, it's going to be really though to break into that but we did create a decent amount of chances.

God forbid people dare to suggest the team isn't perfect when we've won 3 from 8 in the league.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #12342 on: October 14, 2017, 03:00:22 pm »
Well Henderson 4 key passes must have happened while playing 5 yard passes to Lovren and Matip I guess.

Was one of those the one he played into the stand  ;D

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12343 on: October 14, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »
Henderson and Wijnaldum, no creativity or willingness to impose themselves on a game at all, both very good as spare parts, not the core of a midfield that would control games and face teams like Mourinhos United week in week out, Klopp had another tactical Masterclass today let down by players just not good enough to be playing starring roles in his team.

We are so close to being majestic..

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #12344 on: October 14, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »
God forbid people dare to suggest the team isn't perfect when we've won 3 from 8 in the league.
Right, god forbid people bring some balance to the usual mindless midfield bashing.

Was one of those the one he played into the stand  ;D
Great memory mate, because you know great midfielders never miss a pass, like ever.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12345 on: October 14, 2017, 03:23:44 pm »
Henderson and Wijnaldum are just as bad though. Henderson spent the game playing one twos with his centre backs and refusing to play any quick incisive passes forward. Wijnaldum was probably the best of the three but then as soon as he crosses the magical line which takes him from the middle third to the final third, his brain stop working properly and he takes an eternity to make any type of decision.

They were, however, two players who had big games when we were putting away top teams last season. Along with Lallana of course. We can improve on both, for sure. But since Can has been playing regularly, our game has become a lot less dynamic. We don’t even press anymore because he can’t do it well. With Lallana coming back soon I think it’ll change. And then we have Keita coming in for next season too.

I want to see Coutinho and Lallana as our two 8s but I think that doesn’t happen with a player like Henderson as the 6.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12346 on: October 14, 2017, 03:25:05 pm »
Wijnaldum today seemed on the cusp of a great performance but ended up with a 6 or 7 (at a push) out of 10 for me. There was a spell in the first half where he looked really good. Driving with pace, winning and protecting the ball and passing without the hesitancy that so often plagues his game. But then...it just kind of fizzled out in the second half. He just needs to be more than the sum parts of his game but so often isn't. It's so incredibly frustrating and yet I wonder if having better players with him will act as an enabler for him. Klopp for sure sees something in him and I see Can as the one to step aside when Lallana is back.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12347 on: October 14, 2017, 03:41:02 pm »

Yeah....slow to effect counter. All three are technically very poor with the ball. Sweeping up most times and doing zilch with the ball. None of them are able ton
 influence the game.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #12348 on: October 14, 2017, 04:00:24 pm »
Zero creativity in our midfield and I don't know why Klopp keeps persisting with it. Gini has been woeful for ages now, Henderson doesn't really do much and is happy to offload the ball as soon as he gets it and Can I don't know what his role is in this side. Our midfield is as bad as our defence at times. Things need to change.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12349 on: October 14, 2017, 04:02:20 pm »
The massive concern with me for our midfield is, besides Phill, none of our midfielders are prepared to charge towards the opponents goal and release a thunderball of a shot on goal. Every one of them particulally Henderson takes the easy option of a sideways pass placing the goal enffisiss onto someone else .

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12350 on: October 14, 2017, 04:07:48 pm »
Zero creativity in our midfield and I don't know why Klopp keeps persisting with it. Gini has been woeful for ages now, Henderson doesn't really do much and is happy to offload the ball as soon as he gets it and Can I don't know what his role is in this side. Our midfield is as bad as our defence at times. Things need to change.

Well they must have done something right because United didn't have a single shot in the 2nd half & we dominated possession,chances created,shots,shots on target & corners,the only thing that they outdid us on was fouls commited.Had Mo not taken the ball off Phils toe we would've gone in at halftime 1-0.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #12351 on: October 14, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
Right, god forbid people bring some balance to the usual mindless midfield bashing.
Great memory mate, because you know great midfielders never miss a pass, like ever.

Henderson and great don't really roll off the tongue in my book, I would say decent.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #12352 on: October 14, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »

This is a super dumb post after today
Our mdifield dominated one of the best sides in the league.
All 3 of them did their jobs today - people want the moon on a fucking stick sometimes

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #12353 on: October 14, 2017, 05:16:27 pm »
Just needed a bit of luck up front today. Good performance still.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12354 on: October 14, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »
Wijnaldum was right at it from the start. Can struggled a bit initially, but grew into the game. Henderson was pretty good as well. Our creativity was good today and we're controlling games.

Overall, we're not far away, we just need some different type of midfielders for different games. We have Keita coming on (direct replacement for Can and a pretty good upgrade at that. We just need one more deep midfielder for competing with Henderson for certain types of games and with Lallana back, it's not far away at all as far as the midfield is looked at in isolation.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #12355 on: October 14, 2017, 05:28:40 pm »
This is a super dumb post after today
Our mdifield dominated one of the best sides in the league.
All 3 of them did their jobs today - people want the moon on a fucking stick sometimes
Can't agree more.

Gini and Hendo played really well today

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #12356 on: October 14, 2017, 05:33:27 pm »
We can't say United parked the bus and also claim that they didn't play because of our midfield. United hardly tried to play at all.

A clear and very visible problem today was linking defence and attack. United kept us in our own half for way too long, because our midfielders seemed incapable of taking some sort of initiative. Henderson kept passing it back to our centre-backs and Can/Wijnaldum showed no movement whatsoever.

There is not much to discuss when we have 3 all-rounders who don't excel at anything and are way too similar to each other starting for us. Absolutely no creativity, flair, courage. I hate these 'modern' centre-mids.

And I know 'mentality' is something vague and too subjective but I sense that especially Gini and Jordan are just weak. They're afraid, they hide and they're not at all the players to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn things around. We are team of softies, and our captain summarises this.

'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12357 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:21 pm »
We can't say United parked the bus and also claim that they didn't play because of our midfield. United hardly tried to play at all.

A clear and very visible problem today was linking defence and attack. United kept us in our own half for way too long, because our midfielders seemed incapable of taking some sort of initiative. Henderson kept passing it back to our centre-backs and Can/Wijnaldum showed no movement whatsoever.

There is not much to discuss when we have 3 all-rounders who don't excel at anything and are way too similar to each other starting for us. Absolutely no creativity, flair, courage. I hate these 'modern' centre-mids.

And I know 'mentality' is something vague and too subjective but I sense that especially Gini and Jordan are just weak. They're afraid, they hide and they're not at all the players to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn things around. We are team of softies, and our captain summarises this.
Three all rounders is the perfect description of them. Xabi Alonso was in the crowd today. He'd still start for us.

Offline Triad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12358 on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:42 pm »

It wasn't helped by the fact that Couto was ineffective in a more forward role as he was just not gonna be able to escape Valencia and Herrera's attention.So he was coming deep to get the ball.The problem was the midfielder who took up the space vacated by him were just happy to pass back and keep possession instead of offering penetration.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12359 on: October 14, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »

I already cant wait for this season to end to be honest, it's not bad, it's just so mehhhhhhh. Keita changes everything.

Modern day supporters.  I just don’t understand them.