Author Topic: Islamism  (Read 199252 times)

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Islamism
« Reply #1680 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:59 pm »
For people who are non biased and open to listening to the other side. For others, dont you worry, they will not relent unless they prove that FGM is definitely Islamic, and hence Islam is barbaric. They will trawl the internet for any link they can find.Thats why I ended the debate previously, because the debate is not actually a debate, but rather all judegements have been made by people with very limited Islamic knowledge with pre conceived ideas. So there really is no point.

thing is, i can show you how apsurd is religion with a single line
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »
Good that.

There is a problem for Islam in the uk though too.

Who speaks for Islam in the uk? Mo Ansar too often.  A man who's said that it's ok too kill those "guilty" of apotesty.

The need for a genuine "man in the street" to represent Islam in the uk is important to counteract the daily mail hate campaign.  When we saw the EDL members being served tea outside the mosque they were protesting outside, those are the kind of people who would represent their faith well and who represent the majority of Muslims I have known.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/not-in-our-name-british-muslims-condemn-the-barbarity-of-isis/

The Muslim Council of Britain once again condemned the actions of the so called “Islamic State in Syria and the Levant”, ISIS. Today we express once again our rebuke of this reprehensible organisation. We are horrified at the abhorrent murder of James Foley, a reporter who initially went to the region to expose the human rights abuses of the Syrian regime. ISIS has murdered this man for no reason at all.

Each day ISIS seeks to carry out an act more barbarous than the day before, craving the oxygen of publicity to give credibility to their heinous acts. We condemn unreservedly their psychopathic violence, whether it is on minorities, on civilians, or on fellow Muslims.

The MCB expressed the British Muslim community’s common censure of the group as early as June, and called for joint action to ensure the poison of extremism and sectarianism is not injected into our communities.

ISIS does not speak for Islam, and has been repudiated by all Muslims. Their message only appeals to those who are easily duped by their twisted message purporting to be Islam. They seek to glamorise their violence, and unfortunately, the media has a part to play in adding to that glamour.

We urge the media in refraining from giving them any further undue exposure beyond conventional reporting. And we urge Muslim communities to re-double their efforts in coming together, condemning the barbarity of ISIS and persuading those gullible enough to take in their message that they are on a path to futility.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: August 24, 2014, 07:22:55 pm »
thing is, i can show you how apsurd is religion with a single line
Enlighten us please

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: August 24, 2014, 07:43:09 pm »
Enlighten us please

if god knows everything, the future and the past..whats the point of heaven and hell? if he knows i'll be a bad person before i'm even born, then i can't change that

didn't he knew that Adam would eat that apple before he created him? in "holy" books, god was a bit dissapointed with that gesture
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: August 24, 2014, 07:47:37 pm »
Ok let me go through this step by step because what you have said is so mixed up its impossible to disentangle in a short post. I was going to igonre this but I think I need to reply.

First and foremost, Allah is simply God in Arabic. Its not any special God, it literally means God.

(snip)

This isn't unusual at all. As a Muslim who has attended countless Friday prayers across the UK and elsewhere, this type of condemnation is a standard thing whenever there is an unfortunate Muslim extremism-related event in the news.

(snip)

Dear me.  Sorry to say this guys but when I'm reading these incredibly intelligent, complex posts I can't help but feel your time could be spent a whole lot better.

It was just dawning on me how many millions of hours have been spent interpreting and understanding all of this... well, nonsense (not just Islam, all religions).  Imagine if all the clever, gifted religious people over the years had dedicated their lives to, say, biology instead.  We'd have probably cured all forms of cancer by now or something.

Again, apologies for being disrespectful but it's something I couldn't help but think about.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1685 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »
There's nearly a thousand Jewish UK residents a year who leave the country to fight in the IDF.

Think you are too quick and missed the point my guess is they still regard themselves as British, this guy never got close to doing that in fact dismissed it out of hand with the quote i gave you.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1686 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:52 pm »
Will you ever be convinced otherwise?

It is a pre-islamic practice, and practiced by people who are muslim and non muslim, primarily in africa. It is prevelant in non islamic countries too, and has been condemned hundereds of times by various Islamic authorities as unacceptable due to various reasons, if you are ever willing to listen

I have said it is pre Islam many times. I have said it is practiced by non Muslims many times. I freely accept it has been condemned by certain Islamic authorities, I've even pointed out that it is illegal or banned in many Muslim majority countries. There's no point in repeating my posts back to me. You're not listening.

What you're ignoring is the other parts of Islam where FGM has widespread acceptance and religious justification. You're ignoring places like Indonesia where 200 million Muslims are told FGM is morally recommended. I specifically asked you to explain that and you ignored the request and resumed your normal practice of repeating things I've already admitted.

Once again. If FGM is not Islamic, why do so many Muslims do it as a religious requirement?

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: August 24, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
Can i suggest BBC have a discussion going on about British Islamic Extremists, and of course we have the fellow in another studio, who when asked is he British he said I am a Muslim, First, Second and Last. I could be wrong but do any other followers of Religions in the UK think this way?
I don't think you've had an honest answer to your very personal question. Instead we've had the customary diversion into "What about the Jews?". I take your question to mean: How do you define yourself? I'm going to leave out the husband, father and what I do for a living aspects as I don't think it is relevant to your question. In descending order of importance of things that define me:

Wildlife enthusiast
Liverpool supporter
British
Sinhala-Buddhist
Sri Lankan

I'm a dual national and I consider myself lucky to be able to call two very agreeable countries home. Unlike many British Asians of my age; I was born in Sri Lanka, can vote there, pay taxes there, own property there and have lived a decade of my adult life there too. It's a little unfashionable to state it, but I like the the English (and the Welsh, both of whom I'm most familiar). They are much like their cuisine; honest, solid and unpretentious. Very decent traits (and not the only ones) to have in your oldest friends.

When I'm in SL I'm considered a foreigner (reasonably). When I'm in Britain I'm British. I made the comment to some RAWKites over a beer that I'm more overtly Sri Lankan on RAWK than I am in real life. If the Mods were to say "Thanks zero zero for your comments, but never mention Sri Lanka or Buddhism again", I could drop it immediately and not be bothered. I believe, possibly erroneously, that I add colour to RAWKs 'board church' and the cricket threads in particular. In real life I would never spend any time highlighting differences; I know what I am, I know where I'm from and I have no problem embracing British values because... well... I'm British.

I have my opinions on why a British Muslims would put their religion first, but I'll address that and the thought-provoking posts from rscanderlech and Doc Red when I have the time to give the subject that it deserves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:15:35 pm by zero zero »

Offline Libero

• Legacy Fan
  • Viva Liverpool
« Reply #1688 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »

Once again. If FGM is not Islamic, why do so many Muslims do it as a religious requirement?

A bit of conflation going on here Corky, and a bit of a honey pot of misinformation there too...

Sure, some Muslims (and non-muslims) do it, this doesn't mean it is endorsed by Islam; FGM isn't even open to interpretation - there's nothing to interpret, because no such religious justification exists. Perhaps man's (wrongful) justification exists, but I don't believe that any Islamic texts recommend FGM.     

I'll be the first to admit that I'm better informed about the OT than Islamic scriptures, but I'm pretty certain about the above.

As far as I know, no Islamic book morally recommends FGM, so whoever is stating this as an Islamic "moral recommendation" is talking crap, and certainly no different to the the extremist religious atheists out there to be honest.

I'm certainly not going to hold a 1.8 billion population accountable for the crimes of the ignorant.

This was an interesting link on FGM and why it is un-islamic:

Islam came to bring glad tidings, not bad news, and enlighten the ignorant, not keep them in the darkness. Islam does not allow its followers to harm themselves intentionally, and it vehemently protects the rights of women and children, who are among the weakest of the groups in every society. “And the best among you are those who are best to their women” (At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban).

All that we can conclude from the above is that all forms of female circumcision or FGM are not Islamic; rather they are harmful and require a total ban in order to safeguard the health and well-being of all Muslim women throughout the world for all time.

Link to a detailed article on the subject: http://wedefendislam.wordpress.com/2014/07/18/fgm-refuting-the-allegations/

Hopefully, it will clarify matters for you sufficiently to move on to the next topic that annoys you  :P

Have a good night fella!  ;D

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: August 24, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
Think you are too quick and missed the point my guess is they still regard themselves as British, this guy never got close to doing that in fact dismissed it out of hand with the quote i gave you.
I'm fairly certain they don't but its always best to look into it yourself.
From what I see their allegiance is to Israel and they fight for the "Israeli" Defense Force, they are willing to die and kill for Israel not the UK.
A new name is adopted and officially their place of birth becomes Israel ( they don't see it as naturalized ) it really is a strange carry on and quite unique.  Its also driven by the same kind of religious hocus pocus that drives all these fundamentalist mental.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1690 on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:35 pm »
A bit of conflation going on here Corky, and a bit of a honey pot of misinformation there too...

Sure, some Muslims (and non-muslims) do it, this doesn't mean it is endorsed by Islam

Right. So, (from the same source)...

Four law schools differ

The data from Iraq and preliminary reports from other parts of the Middle East and Asia point to a relationship between the practice and specific law schools within Sunni Islam. The four main law schools – Shafai’i, Hanbali, Maliki and Hanafi – have been dominant in different areas of the Middle East. They differ in their interpretations of the teachings and provisions of Islamic law and guidance. Whereas the Hanafis do not regard female circumcision as “sunnah”, the practice is recommended on religious grounds by the Maliki and Hanbali law schools and is considered obligatory by the Shafai’i school. Though not without internal dissent, the Shafai’i position is clearly expressed: “Circumcision is obligatory upon men and women according to us.” In Indonesia for example – where information about the presence of practice has long been available but by and large ignored or dismissed – this is the dominant law school. Shafai’i is also the dominant school in the Hejaz region of Saudi Arabia, in Yemen, Syria, the Palestinian territories, Jordan and Kurdistan.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: August 24, 2014, 11:11:32 pm »
if god knows everything, the future and the past..whats the point of heaven and hell? if he knows i'll be a bad person before i'm even born, then i can't change that

didn't he knew that Adam would eat that apple before he created him? in "holy" books, god was a bit dissapointed with that gesture
My religion is Atheist, so your one line doesn't apply.

The best original analogy I can think of is to talk about colourblindness. This isn't a metaphor for which perception is better than the other - I'm talking about the clinical condition.

I have perfect colour sight (Atheist). Someone else is colourblind (Theist). I'm aware that a condition called colourblindness exists. I don't make any value judgements on it. Most importantly, I also don't define my life by a condition I don't have. I'm rationally, morally, spiritually and ethically indifferent to colourblindness. It does not form any part of how I perceive the world.

This is why your 'one sentence' doesn't serve any useful purpose to me. It might be relevant to a Theist, but I doubt your argument will gain any traction with them. Religion may well be absurd but it's too diverse and complex to be dismissed in a sentence.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1692 on: August 24, 2014, 11:17:03 pm »
I don't think you've had an honest answer to your very personal question. Instead we've had the customary diversion into "What about the Jews?".
The Jews where mentioned because he asked about "any other religion"  So maybe you should follow the conversation instead of jumping in with your claims of dishonesty and "customary diversion" BS.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:44 am »
Blimey, he sounds like a bit of a killjoy. Puritanical.

The American is primitive in his artistic taste, both in what he enjoys as art and in his own artistic works. “Jazz” music is his music of choice. This is that music that the Negroes invented to satisfy their primitive inclinations, as well as their desire to be noisy on the one hand and to excite bestial tendencies on the other. The American’s intoxication in “jazz” music does not reach its full completion until the music is accompanied by singing that is just as coarse and obnoxious as the music itself. Meanwhile, the noise of the instruments and the voices mounts, and it rings in the ears to an unbearable degree… The agitation of the multitude increases, and the voices of approval mount, and their palms ring out in vehement, continuous applause that all but deafens the ears
.[23]

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bKwQ_zeRwEs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bKwQ_zeRwEs</a>

Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: August 25, 2014, 01:23:01 am »
I have said it is pre Islam many times. I have said it is practiced by non Muslims many times. I freely accept it has been condemned by certain Islamic authorities, I've even pointed out that it is illegal or banned in many Muslim majority countries. There's no point in repeating my posts back to me. You're not listening.

What you're ignoring is the other parts of Islam where FGM has widespread acceptance and religious justification. You're ignoring places like Indonesia where 200 million Muslims are told FGM is morally recommended. I specifically asked you to explain that and you ignored the request and resumed your normal practice of repeating things I've already admitted.

Research Report commissioned by USAID
http://www.popcouncil.org/uploads/pdfs/frontiers/reports/Indonesia_FGM.pdf

Female Circumcision in
Indonesia Extent, Implications and Possible Interventions to
Uphold Women’s Health Rights

"Parents and religious leaders alike were found to have no significant knowledge on
the formal links between FC and Islam. We can conclude that the practice of FC in
Indonesia is essentially a tradition which has been passed from one generation to the next
with little questioning about its meaning or its basis in Islamic history or law. Many
adhere to, and pass down, this tradition simply because elders and grandparents wish to
preserve this practice in the younger generations.
"

"Unfortunately, individual interpretation in various places has turned this cultural
tradition into a religious doctrine that commands FC as a basic element of religious faith
similar to the abstention of pork in daily food. They declared FC practices as a required
act of purification, or a pre-condition to become a Muslim (Ramali, 1951, cited in Feillard
and Marcoes, 1998; Adrina et al, 1998; Tatapangarsa, 1980; Research Team of LSPPA,
1999). In Limbangan, Central Java, the Islamic religious leaders perceived that FC is
required by the Islamic law (sunnah or recommended by the Prophet), a duty for male
believers as well as for the females. However, the researchers found out that in reality
circumcision was practiced by non-Islamic Javanese too, a practice inherited as a custom
or tradition (Research Team of LSPPA, 1999). "

UNICEF Report - The most comprehensive study on all reasons for FGM down to the last detail
http://www.unicef.org/esaro/FGCM_Lo_res.pdf

"FGM/C is often seen to be somehow connected to Islam, a view that is perhaps unsurprising given the frequency with which it is practised
by many Muslim African groups. However, not all Islamic groups practise FGM/C, and many non-Islamic groups do. Gruenbaum has emphasized
that followers of all three monotheistic religions – Christianity, Judaism and Islam– “have at times practised female circumcision
and consider their practices sanctioned, or at least not prohibited, by God.”121 Despite the fact that FGM/C predates the birth of Islam and Christianity and is not mandated by religious scriptures, the belief that it is a religious requirement contributes to the continuation
of the practice in a number of settings.

A great deal of effort by scholars and activists has concentrated on demonstrating a lack of scriptural support for the practice. In Egypt, for example,
the most authoritative condemnation of FGM/C in Islam to date is the 2007 fatwa (religious edict) issued by the Al-Azhar Supreme Council of Islamic
Research, explaining that FGM/C has no basis in Sharia (Islamic law) or any of its partial provisions, and that it is a sinful action that should
be avoided. Several regional and national fatwas have followed in the years since, with the original statement as their basis.124 In Sudan, a national campaign is working to promote the positive association of Islam to saleema, a term identified and widely promoted to describe a happy, healthy girl who is uncut, as God made her.125 In Senegal, religious leaders have played an important role in publicly addressing the practice, confirming that FGM/C is not sanctioned anywhere in Islam or the Koran and violates a woman’s dignity.126 However, because religious beliefs often exist alongside other social norms surrounding FGM/C, the lack of clear scriptural dictates does not automatically
cause religious motivation for the practice to diminish.
"

A majority of muslim women do not undergo FGM. If it were any sort of religious requirement, you could be certain that they would have, just like men do.

Because the hundereds of ulemas across the world know their religion and are not saying nonsense. Jurisprudence is not "religion" per se, it is a legal ruling by a Jurist. Sunnahs mean tradition which exist for everything , e g. eating a date after a meal is a sunnah. Means a tradition. You think this is a religious requirement and muslims all over the world eat dates because of this? There is also miswaak, which is teeth cleaning twig made from the Salvadora persica tree (known as arak in Arabic) and which is a sunnah and recommended by jurists to clean teeth. Does that mean muslims dont use tooth brush?

I am done with this FGM debate, if you wish, start a new topic on it. It really shouldnt be in a thread of political Islam.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:01:38 am by SadRed »

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:30 am »
the topics raised in here are quite in depth but i don't think i need a degree to know that FGM is wrong in any aspect you want to bring up, it cannot be justified as a practice it is a evil practice . I also don't need a degree to be able to understand that Isis are a barbaric group of murderers using religion to justify their own disgusting and depraved actions.

I dont need a degree to think that if we got rid of all religions, yes we might still have some barbarity but at least fewer excuses and apologists for it.

We have a few in here with in my opinion massive chips on their shoulders, when people attack the actions of Isis they are not attacking you or your religion merely questioning why the leaders of Islam have not instructed the rest of Islam to disown or even destroy Isis?

I also do not need a degree to know that all religions can be as bad, for example the leader of the  Catholic Church's blind eye to Hitler and the Holocaust.

However to take your point on board if you post in the football section i will need you to show me evidence of your FA coaches badge
My intention was never to suggest that you need a degree to discuss these matters, but that, if you wish to discuss every matter possible about Islam in a critical way, then the 'Islamism' thread cannot allow it. 'Islamism' is not the same as 'controversial topics about Islam in the 21st century'. If it was, then FGM could be discussed. Since it's not, one ought to find some other way to discuss or learn about these things.

So I suggested that the user that I was replying to, go and study a degree, or, go to a good library and borrow all of the relevant books. Equally validly, he or she might want to go and visit some kind of Islamic forums or forums about Islam.

The Islamism thread does not, and could not, cover every controversy pertaining to a whole civilisation.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:58 am »
Wonder what they'll do with the British nationals that come back yet can't be charged with committing a criminal offence but are regarded as dangerous?

Complete tool regarding most things but Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson in today's Telegraph on the difficulties faced by the authorities regarding British nationals.

"At present the police are finding it very difficult to stop people from simply flying out via Germany, crossing the border, doing their ghastly jihadi tourism, and coming back. The police can and do interview the returnees, but it is hard to press charges without evidence. The law needs a swift and minor change so that there is a “rebuttable presumption” that all those visiting war areas without notifying the authorities have done so for a terrorist purpose."
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #1697 on: August 25, 2014, 09:48:32 am »

Complete tool regarding most things but Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson in today's Telegraph on the difficulties faced by the authorities regarding British nationals.

"At present the police are finding it very difficult to stop people from simply flying out via Germany, crossing the border, doing their ghastly jihadi tourism, and coming back. The police can and do interview the returnees, but it is hard to press charges without evidence. The law needs a swift and minor change so that there is a “rebuttable presumption” that all those visiting war areas without notifying the authorities have done so for a terrorist purpose."

Yeah sweet guilty until proven innocent, and fuck evidence!

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #1698 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:58 am »

Think the blond fuckwit has pinched that idea off Hamas.

Tory c*nt.
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1699 on: August 25, 2014, 09:58:09 am »

Complete tool about this, too, I'm afraid.

First, he laments that people can't be charged without evidence. Yeah, shame that, really, that would be a Tory's wet dream.

Second, he suggests that people should be considered guilty unless they can prove they are innocent.

Thirdly, he considers everyone who volunteers to fight for a cause in a foreign land a terrorist. Would he say the same about those who went to fight against Franco in Spain? Actually, he probably would.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: August 25, 2014, 10:06:58 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bKwQ_zeRwEs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bKwQ_zeRwEs</a>

ha ha

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1701 on: August 25, 2014, 10:12:49 am »
Thirdly, he considers everyone who volunteers to fight for a cause in a foreign land a terrorist. Would he say the same about those who went to fight against Franco in Spain? Actually, he probably would.

The current situation is more akin to going to Spain to fight FOR Franco. Nevertheless you're right and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - as usual - is dangerously wrong.

Britain can only convict these jihadists if it has sufficient evidence; otherwise as the law stands they are safe. The best solution, of course, is that they get killed over there in combat. As many as poss.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: August 25, 2014, 10:14:09 am »
ha ha

Odd therefore that Sayib Qutb named his most famous book 'Milestones' after the great Miles Davis album.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1703 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:18 am »
The current situation is more akin to going to Spain to fight FOR Franco.

Yes, if you assume that everyone going there is going to fight for ISIS. What of those that went to fight against Assad with the Syrian opposition before ISIS even existed? Or those going to fight against ISIS in Iraq? There are many sides in each conflict, yet he's saying we should assume that anyone visiting a war area is a terrorist. That's a massive assumption, and he'd like to turn it into law.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:28 am »
Like I said, I disagree with what he's proposing.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1705 on: August 25, 2014, 10:45:50 am »
I am done with this FGM debate, if you wish, start a new topic on it. It really shouldnt be in a thread of political Islam.

Cool.

So I have demonstrated that the majority of FGM is carried out by Muslims, and of those who do, the majority believe it is religiously mandated. I've asked you how that could be so and you haven't a clue. You've fed back to me the same information I have already posted but you can't explain how a religion can get it so wrong, even within its own ranks.

We came to the same conclusion when Doc Red and I were talking about apostasy and adultery. No, Islam does not condone the death penalty for either and yes, the death penalty exists for both in many Muslim countries, apparently mandated by Islam. How is this so? Doc Red had no clue either.

The answer is fairly obvious. What Muslims believe varies wildly from place to place. That poses uncomfortable questions for you. Religion isn't like literary criticism, or football, where you can have a favourite. These are instructions for living, rules of conduct for people sent from on high, so when one set of a hundred million Muslims believe that their little girls should be mutilated and their women should be stoned for falling in love, and another set of a hundred million doesn't, it's nothing more than a particularly vicious lottery.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: August 25, 2014, 11:56:22 am »
Cool.

So I have demonstrated that the majority of FGM is carried out by Muslims, and of those who do, the majority believe it is religiously mandated. I've asked you how that could be so and you haven't a clue. You've fed back to me the same information I have already posted but you can't explain how a religion can get it so wrong, even within its own ranks.

Except that I have proved it to you. In bold. But you do not read, or dont want to . People mix traditions and religion. As concluded by two research reports. Every muslim is not an expert on Islam, neither is Islam one monolithic block. Just like there is need for awareness in human rights issues that are not islamic, so there is a need for it in Islamic world. This is recognised by every major Human Rights Groups. If you dont want to understand it, I cannot help you. Hence the reason I refused to go on a  wild goose chase before.

We came to the same conclusion when Doc Red and I were talking about apostasy and adultery. No, Islam does not condone the death penalty for either and yes, the death penalty exists for both in many Muslim countries, apparently mandated by Islam. How is this so? Doc Red had no clue either.

I dont know what you debated with Doc Red.

The answer is fairly obvious. What Muslims believe varies wildly from place to place.

It does vary from place to place. Because 1.5 billion cannot be exactly the same. Just like what non muslims believe vary from place to place. Just like FGM is carried out by Ethiopian Jews and Egyptian Christians and Indonesian muslims. And is not carried out by Muslims in India or Catholics in Brazil. Like death penalty exists in the land of free USA or Saudi Arabia, or India. The reason is something called cultural influences. This was the first thing I told you about, EVERY MAJOR AGENCY WORKING WITH FGM TELLS THE SAME, but for your desparate attempt to legitamize it in Islamic scripture led to this absurd disucssion.

It doesnt pose any uncomfortable questions for me, on the other hand with backing of top religious leaders saying that this practice is unislamic, there is a strong case against FGM and religious people will be much more likely to accept this as opposed to simply telling people that their culture is wrong.

Anyway I am definitely done this time, I seriously think you are just trolling so lets move on.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:58:00 am by SadRed »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1707 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
Except that I have proved it to you.

You've proved nothing I didn't already accept.

your desparate attempt to legitamize it in Islamic scripture

I've posted the piece about the four schools of Sunni Islamic thought in relation to FGM four times now, and you've ignored it each time.

Just like FGM is carried out by Ethiopian Jews and Egyptian Christians and Indonesian muslims.

For the (I think) fifth time, yes, I know that. I said it. I posted it. You keep coming back with that, like it's some revelation. What I keep saying, and what you keep ignoring, is that FGM has religious justification in Islam. Not universal, not exclusive but widespread. Hundreds of millions of people type widespread.

Because 1.5 billion cannot be exactly the same.

Why not? Isn't it the same religion, the same Prophet, the same God? How can one massive group of Muslims condemn it, and another massive group of Muslims practice it? How can Muslim religious leaders differ over such a thing? And you know what? You already know the answer.

The reason is something called cultural influences.

Cultural influences. This why one Muslim can think it perfectly right and proper to kill someone for leaving Islam and another Muslim doesn't. This is why one Muslim can mutilate his baby daughter's genitals while another thinks it abhorrent. The fact that they both feel they are obeying their religion is testament that their religion is nothing than a "cultural influence", and that the word of their God varies according to where they live.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »
Cultural influences. This why one Muslim can think it perfectly right and proper to kill someone for leaving Islam and another Muslim doesn't. This is why one Muslim can mutilate his baby daughter's genitals while another thinks it abhorrent. The fact that they both feel they are obeying their religion is testament that their religion is nothing than a "cultural influence", and that the word of their God varies according to where they live.

This is the crux of it all. This is why you have so many different interpretations each as valid as the next.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »

I am not going to repeat myself. I have answered every point.

This is what the entire discussion I had with you looks like:

SadRed: Militants thrive in conflict zones. Conflict is a major part of this, not just religion.
Corkboy: What about Maldives.

SadRed: There are no ISIS in Maldives.
Corkboy: Yes but they are very religiously conservative.

SadRed: So?
Corkboy: Their customs are unconscionable.

SarRed: Thats Islamophobic
Corkboy: Egypt has 97% FGM. Its a muslim country. I am only standing up for human rights.

SadRed: Thats not Maldives. In anycase, christians also practice FGM in Egypt. And it is pre-islamic.
Corkboy: But its mainly Islamic countries.

SadRed: Its mainly african countries as said by UNICEF. Which include Islamic and Non-Islamic. Major aid agencies say its a cultural issue, rather than religious.
Corkboy: What about Indonesia? Thats a muslim country. Muslims there say it is justified by religion. Look at this hadith.

SadRed: It is not mandated by religion. Hadith is weak and not accepted as correct.
Corkboy: Look this four schools of thought. They say its tradition.

SadRed: Four schools of thought are not religion, they have opinion on everything. Like brushing your teeth and having dates. They are not religious mandates. All major Islamic leaders have condemned this stringently.
Corkboy: People still say it is mandated by religion.

SadRed: If it was religious requirement, why wont every muslim have to do it. Majority of muslim women dont.
Corkboy: But some still do.

SadRed: But some non-muslims do too. Its cultural influences. Often the two are mixed up. Look at this two research reports. They clearly prove it.
Corkboy: Ignore the rest of FGM victims. Some muslims accept it? How is that? You cant just say cultural influences. Muslims are not allowed to have that.

SadRed: Because muslims are not one monolithic block. Beliefs and cultures are intermixed.
Corkboy: Beliefs and culture should not vary. They should be the same.

SadRed: Muslims are human too. Like non muslims have differences in culture, so do muslims. Because they are the same religion doesnt mean all their beliefs and actions are identical.
Corkboy: You dont answer my questions and repeat things. I win.

SadRed: Okay bye.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:21 pm »
I am not going to repeat myself. I have answered every point.

This is what the entire discussion I had with you looks like:

No. That's what you'd like it to look like.

Unfortunately your interlocuter is somewhat brighter than you are. He also has the agreeable advantage of having a superior argument. Put these two things together and it's no surprise you've taken the fantasy option of inventing a conversation.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »
This is the crux of it all. This is why you have so many different interpretations each as valid as the next.

Because that is what humans are. They interpret things the way they want. Its not just for religion, but for everything. For politics, for war, for economics. To the shock of some, religion does not have every single thing for every single possible scenario written down in a gigantic book somewhere.

Just like secular laws. Why do we need a lawyer and for people to research law? Isnt there one gigantic book that tells you what is correct and what is wrong? No there isnt. Religion is the same.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: August 25, 2014, 01:11:43 pm »
Because that is what humans are. They interpret things the way they want. Its not just for religion, but for everything. For politics, for war, for economics. To the shock of some, religion does not have every single thing for every single possible scenario written down in a gigantic book somewhere.

Just like secular laws. Why do we need a lawyer and for people to research law? Isnt there one gigantic book that tells you what is correct and what is wrong? No there isnt. Religion is the same.

Which is precisely why those who believe in this jumbled doctrine called Islam should distance themselves from any political grouping that wishes to build a society on Islamic values.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »
No. That's what you'd like it to look like.

Unfortunately your interlocuter is somewhat brighter than you are. He also has the agreeable advantage of having a superior argument. Put these two things together and it's no surprise you've taken the fantasy option of inventing a conversation.

Everyone who disagrees is stupid. Excellent.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: August 25, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
Which is precisely why those who believe in any doctrine should distance themselves from any political grouping that wishes to build a society on only those values.

Not entirely. But to an extent. I dont agree with muslims wanting Islam to be law of their land for precisely this reason. We are in agreement. That doesnt mean they dont have the right to do so, if they so wished.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: August 25, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »
Everyone who disagrees is stupid. Excellent.

Your powers of comprehension also seem to be extremely weak.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »
Your powers of comprehension also seem to be extremely weak.

Call me stupid, unable to comprehend, having weak arguments, believing in jumbled docrtines, whatever you wish on my PM. I dont like these one liners pronouncing your judgements on a thread, it ruins it and makes it unreadable.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: August 25, 2014, 01:36:48 pm »
I didn't call you stupid. I simply pointed out that Corky is "somewhat brighter". That's not an insult. Think of it as a motivation.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1718 on: August 25, 2014, 01:36:57 pm »
The current situation is more akin to going to Spain to fight FOR Franco. Nevertheless you're right and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - as usual - is dangerously wrong.

Britain can only convict these jihadists if it has sufficient evidence; otherwise as the law stands they are safe. The best solution, of course, is that they get killed over there in combat. As many as poss.
In some ways this might help prevent terrorist acts in this country.

The secret services will now have much more detailed envied nice of who is a violent extremist.  Identification allows monitoring, and prevents acts in this country.

It's akin to them sticking a flag on their head saying "hey look!  I'm a homicidal lunatic, watch me"
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: August 25, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »
Any way back to Islamism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28924104

Nine more people murdered during noonday prayers in a Baghdad mosque.