Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 377595 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars Universe lastest news
« Reply #4760 on: September 15, 2023, 09:59:42 pm »
I found that the prequels tried to serve up what the fans wanted without realising what it was that fans like. That’s why threepio snd r2d2 we’re in it. And why we had to endure endless over choreographed saber duels (and the ridiculous yoda one). The sequels at least understood that much of Star Wars original charm was in its humour and heart. They didn’t quite manage that but I could see the attempt.

I get what you're saying. I certainly remember plenty of people loving Yoda's duelling in Attack of the Clones (which I never actually watched in the cinema because I knew it would be full of a sappy love story).

Didn't have a problem with the droids though. That Anakin built C3PO? Yeah, a bit much, but I still feel fan service in the prequels was thin on the ground. I found precious little humour in the sequels.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4761 on: September 15, 2023, 11:55:18 pm »
I get what you're saying. I certainly remember plenty of people loving Yoda's duelling in Attack of the Clones (which I never actually watched in the cinema because I knew it would be full of a sappy love story).

Didn't have a problem with the droids though. That Anakin built C3PO? Yeah, a bit much, but I still feel fan service in the prequels was thin on the ground. I found precious little humour in the sequels.

The fan service and shoehorning in existing characters made the galaxy seem much smaller in the prequels (and often contradicted what happened in the OT). R2D2, C3PO, Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Jabba, even things like the Tantive IV and the Death Star....none of them needed to be in it. And there was quite a lot of humour in the sequels, especially in 7 & 8 (it worked best in 7). Whereas in the sequels the humour was mainly unconvincing 'banter' between Obi-Wan and Anakin, lame one-liners, and poop jokes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 11:57:20 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4762 on: September 16, 2023, 01:01:13 am »
Don't watch if you haven't seen the first episode.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l0MWO3CUoJQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l0MWO3CUoJQ</a>
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4763 on: September 16, 2023, 10:25:59 am »
I'm sick of the words "fan service". it seems to usually be accompanied by the word "lazy" which is somewhat ironic considering that I think using "fan service" as an insult to things these days is lazy as fuck.

relying on it or overdoing it, as is the case with everything, is bad. but making things that fans of that thing might like is a bad thing? really?

fuck off.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4764 on: September 16, 2023, 11:15:16 am »
The fan service and shoehorning in existing characters made the galaxy seem much smaller in the prequels (and often contradicted what happened in the OT). R2D2, C3PO, Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Jabba, even things like the Tantive IV and the Death Star....none of them needed to be in it. And there was quite a lot of humour in the sequels, especially in 7 & 8 (it worked best in 7). Whereas in the sequels the humour was mainly unconvincing 'banter' between Obi-Wan and Anakin, lame one-liners, and poop jokes.
It's why TPM is my favourite of the prequels. It's the farthest we've ever been from OT Star Wars its stakes were relatively low-key (resolving a trade dispute/invasion of one little planet). Could've done without 3PO being built by Anakin though.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4765 on: September 16, 2023, 11:52:22 am »
It's why TPM is my favourite of the prequels. It's the farthest we've ever been from OT Star Wars its stakes were relatively low-key (resolving a trade dispute/invasion of one little planet). Could've done without 3PO being built by Anakin though.
As somebody who grew up as a Star Wars obsessive in the '80s, Phantom Menace was the culmination of a long, long wait. The dreadful acting, plot and dialogue meant I have never been able to watch it since it's release. I came out of the cinema with shell shock.

Or maybe I should have just posted this > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TX6x2WLgk

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4766 on: September 16, 2023, 01:34:27 pm »
Don't watch if you haven't seen the first episode.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l0MWO3CUoJQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l0MWO3CUoJQ</a>

Very good - the follow-ups are a good watch too ;D  (www.youtube.com/@NotObi-WanKenobi)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4767 on: September 16, 2023, 02:36:53 pm »
All of his (Charlie Hopkinson) channels are great.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4768 on: September 16, 2023, 09:18:49 pm »
I'm sick of the words "fan service". it seems to usually be accompanied by the word "lazy" which is somewhat ironic considering that I think using "fan service" as an insult to things these days is lazy as fuck.

relying on it or overdoing it, as is the case with everything, is bad. but making things that fans of that thing might like is a bad thing? really?

fuck off.

It is lazy, though. Absolutely the most lazy thing you can do as a writer. I’d go so far as to say it shows contempt for fans - that we need spoon-fed a load of memberberries to sate us. It cheapens a franchise that found success by doing something sci-fi wasn’t back in the 70s. Andor showed that you can make something the fans like without resorting to obvious tropes.

Am I expecting too much? I don’t think so. This is the biggest entertainment franchise in the world with a budget that dwarves almost everything else. They should be making better shows.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4769 on: September 16, 2023, 09:25:16 pm »

Actually that was the Tantive III, a CR70 corvette. The Tantive IV was a CR90. :thumbup /nerd

I agree that the Jango/Boba Fett angle stretched things a bit, but as things turned out, without it we likely wouldn't have Ashoka, or Rex, or Anakin's valuable character development in the Clone Wars series.

Jabba made sense to me, it was Tatooine. I think his usage could have been done better though. Chewie was a bit pointless, but harmless enough.

The sequels were garbage. Good actors doing the best they could but the didn't even get the chance to all work together until the final film. Wasted opportunities, wasted potential. The humour should be the cherry on top, not the thing trying to hold the characters together.

Popcorn's Art

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4770 on: September 16, 2023, 09:39:36 pm »
It is lazy, though. Absolutely the most lazy thing you can do as a writer. I’d go so far as to say it shows contempt for fans - that we need spoon-fed a load of memberberries to sate us. It cheapens a franchise that found success by doing something sci-fi wasn’t back in the 70s. Andor showed that you can make something the fans like without resorting to obvious tropes.

Am I expecting too much? I don’t think so. This is the biggest entertainment franchise in the world with a budget that dwarves almost everything else. They should be making better shows.

There were absolutely fuckloads of "fan service" background references/easter eggs in that series. It seemed like the entire reason they gave luthen an antiquities shop was to see what they could put in there for people to go "oh hey I know what that is!"

and it wasn't a bad thing, see?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4771 on: September 16, 2023, 10:49:02 pm »
There were absolutely fuckloads of "fan service" background references/easter eggs in that series. It seemed like the entire reason they gave luthen an antiquities shop was to see what they could put in there for people to go "oh hey I know what that is!"

and it wasn't a bad thing, see?

Easter eggs are one thing. Building in needless lightsaber duels that make little sense nor propel a story, are another. The main fan service in Andor was making a living, breathing Star Wars universe. It was utterly compelling.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4772 on: September 16, 2023, 11:05:35 pm »
Easter eggs are one thing. Building in needless lightsaber duels that make little sense nor propel a story, are another. The main fan service in Andor was making a living, breathing Star Wars universe. It was utterly compelling.

and I enjoyed that as well.

'training' in star wars has always been a somewhat nebulous thing. sometimes you're doing a handstand while balancing a green alien thing while levitating a rock, sometimes you're reliving and facing your past in a kind of limbo.

anyway you know who did like it this week? the people it was made for. seriously, it looks like they absolutely fucking loved it. the amount of people going squee and gushing about it on various places of the internet is fucking mad. I'm happy they got to see something they enjoyed, and I'm not going to be some grumpy old c*nt (even though I am one generally) and try to piss on their parade.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4773 on: September 16, 2023, 11:36:39 pm »
Actually that was the Tantive III, a CR70 corvette. The Tantive IV was a CR90. :thumbup /nerd

I agree that the Jango/Boba Fett angle stretched things a bit, but as things turned out, without it we likely wouldn't have Ashoka, or Rex, or Anakin's valuable character development in the Clone Wars series.

Jabba made sense to me, it was Tatooine. I think his usage could have been done better though. Chewie was a bit pointless, but harmless enough.

The sequels were garbage. Good actors doing the best they could but the didn't even get the chance to all work together until the final film. Wasted opportunities, wasted potential. The humour should be the cherry on top, not the thing trying to hold the characters together.

Neither of the droids needed to be in it, and their presence undermined and contradicted the OT. As did Chewbacca's, because how would Han not believe in the Force if his best friend literally fought alongside Yoda? And we didn't need Boba/Jango Fett to have Rex, Ahsoka and the rest. The clones could've been clones of anyone.

You talk about humour not being enough to hold the characters together, but in the prequels they didn't even have that. None of the relationships felt genuine, the dialogue was at best stilted and lifeless, at worse utterly cringeworthy.

Honestly, just watch TPM and compare it to TFA, just observe the difference in how the characters interact with each other, the dialogue, the humour. It's just much more genuine and relatable in TFA, the characters are more likeable and seem more like actual people. The lightsaber duel in TPM is technically brilliant, but devoid of any meaning - it just kind of happens because the bad guy turns up and so the good guys have to fight him. There's no story reason for it, no connection between the characters, we don't know anything about Maul other than he looks cool, why should we care who wins?  Whereas we know who Kylo is and then he kills Han Solo, so the audience has a reason to hate him and Rey has a reason to fight him.

The sequels had plenty of flaws - the lack of an overall story was a huge mistake and TROS was a mess which undermined the previous two films, but in almost every category, as individual films, they were better (well, at least the first two).

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4774 on: September 17, 2023, 12:04:40 am »
and I enjoyed that as well.

'training' in star wars has always been a somewhat nebulous thing. sometimes you're doing a handstand while balancing a green alien thing while levitating a rock, sometimes you're reliving and facing your past in a kind of limbo.

anyway you know who did like it this week? the people it was made for. seriously, it looks like they absolutely fucking loved it. the amount of people going squee and gushing about it on various places of the internet is fucking mad. I'm happy they got to see something they enjoyed, and I'm not going to be some grumpy old c*nt (even though I am one generally) and try to piss on their parade.

I’m neither grumpy nor pissing on any parades. Just giving my opinion on it. I’m a Star Wars nerd, though, who is this aimed at if not me?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4775 on: September 17, 2023, 01:24:19 am »
I’m neither grumpy nor pissing on any parades. Just giving my opinion on it. I’m a Star Wars nerd, though, who is this aimed at if not me?

"clone wars" fans, so it seems. you know, people with attachments to the characters and situtions that were used.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4776 on: September 17, 2023, 02:06:05 am »
"clone wars" fans, so it seems. you know, people with attachments to the characters and situtions that were used.

Think you mean 'The Clone Wars' there, mate  Likely 'Rebels' too, as this is a continuation of sorts, for that series.

'Clone Wars' is the 2003 series by Genndy Tartakovsky - of which this Ahsoka series has very little to do with.

Neither of the droids needed to be in it, and their presence undermined and contradicted the OT. As did Chewbacca's, because how would Han not believe in the Force if his best friend literally fought alongside Yoda? And we didn't need Boba/Jango Fett to have Rex, Ahsoka and the rest. The clones could've been clones of anyone.

You talk about humour not being enough to hold the characters together, but in the prequels they didn't even have that. None of the relationships felt genuine, the dialogue was at best stilted and lifeless, at worse utterly cringeworthy.

Honestly, just watch TPM and compare it to TFA, just observe the difference in how the characters interact with each other, the dialogue, the humour. It's just much more genuine and relatable in TFA, the characters are more likeable and seem more like actual people. The lightsaber duel in TPM is technically brilliant, but devoid of any meaning - it just kind of happens because the bad guy turns up and so the good guys have to fight him. There's no story reason for it, no connection between the characters, we don't know anything about Maul other than he looks cool, why should we care who wins?  Whereas we know who Kylo is and then he kills Han Solo, so the audience has a reason to hate him and Rey has a reason to fight him.

The sequels had plenty of flaws - the lack of an overall story was a huge mistake and TROS was a mess which undermined the previous two films, but in almost every category, as individual films, they were better (well, at least the first two).

I'd agree with everything you said there, mate... nearly ;) Although whilst those lightsaber scenes looked good at the time - upon re-watching them back you start to notice things...

'Star Wars: The (Totally) Phantom Menace' - a 3 minute video (posted recently on the OT.com):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J0mUVY9fLlw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J0mUVY9fLlw</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/J0mUVY9fLlw

;D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 02:14:40 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4777 on: September 17, 2023, 05:10:27 am »
…and then it got worse in RotS :D
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4778 on: September 17, 2023, 07:57:51 am »

George lucas himself explains why the music in that battle is called duel of the fates as Anakin and the galaxy's future was dependant on it. If Qui Gon lived Anakins training and future path is completely different. Maul killed him and so Anakins teaching falls to an inexperienced Obi Wan. That fight is one of the most important of the entire story. So to say it happens for no reason is an odd thing to conclude.

I do agree with the fan service parts though, if done well it can be fantastic. I actually think the recent episode is a perfect example of that. However when you have a galaxy that size and leia crossing paths with obi wan as a child, the droids as mentioned, chewbacca etc it goes over the top
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:02:17 am by WillG.LFC »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4779 on: September 17, 2023, 08:34:58 am »
Totally see how that fight was important, but the choreography is my issue. It’s so at odds with the OT and sadly seems to have set the tone for everything since.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4780 on: September 17, 2023, 09:35:11 am »
Totally see how that fight was important, but the choreography is my issue. It’s so at odds with the OT and sadly seems to have set the tone for everything since.

Again, nah. It set the tone for those films, absolutely, but the fights in the sequels and the tv shows haven't been like that. To the point that those who like that style (I don't really, they're overly flashy) have had a moan about it.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4781 on: September 17, 2023, 10:17:09 am »
George lucas himself explains why the music in that battle is called duel of the fates as Anakin and the galaxy's future was dependant on it. If Qui Gon lived Anakins training and future path is completely different. Maul killed him and so Anakins teaching falls to an inexperienced Obi Wan. That fight is one of the most important of the entire story. So to say it happens for no reason is an odd thing to conclude.

I do agree with the fan service parts though, if done well it can be fantastic. I actually think the recent episode is a perfect example of that. However when you have a galaxy that size and leia crossing paths with obi wan as a child, the droids as mentioned, chewbacca etc it goes over the top

The outcome (Qui-Gon's death) might be important, but that could've happened a number of different ways, and also the Jedi could still have refused to let Anakin even be trained at all and sent him back to Tatooine. The point was, within the film itself, there was no reason for it to happen. We didn't know the villain or why he was doing what he was doing, and we had no real reason to care about the duel. The duel wasn't even necessary to help the Naboo / Gungans win. And what was Palpatine trying to achieve by exposing the return of the Sith just to kill two random Jedi, only to wait another 10 years before doing anything else? None of it makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:18:53 am by Rob Dylan »

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4782 on: September 17, 2023, 11:37:19 am »

To say nothing of Palpatine's apprentice very nearly killing Anakin for no reason at all hours earlier...

;D

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4783 on: September 17, 2023, 11:42:53 am »

I don't even like the prequels all that much, but they're high art compared to the regurgitated furballs that are the sequel film.

And honestly, what is your problem with droids? Seems like you're personally offended by them. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4784 on: September 17, 2023, 01:10:27 pm »
I dunno. I find the sequels, while pretty shit,  have some redeeming qualities. The prequels, less so.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4785 on: September 17, 2023, 01:33:34 pm »
I dunno. I find the sequels, while pretty shit,  have some redeeming qualities. The prequels, less so.

Thankfully with the Sequel Trilogy there was no 'need' to alter the Original Trilogy either ;D 

I mean, continuing to alter the Original Trilogy so it fits in better with a new latter Prequel Trilogy - that was written some 20 years later, and yet still has so many inconsistencies, retcons, and discrepancies to what came before... and in itself the PT was so underwhelming and disappointing.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4786 on: September 17, 2023, 02:05:42 pm »
I don't even like the prequels all that much, but they're high art compared to the regurgitated furballs that are the sequel film.

You keep saying this but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Again, look at the characters and the way they act, the dialogue, the humour, the pacing, the visuals, etc etc, and you can't with a straight face tell me they were better in the prequels. Overall story yes, music yes, almost everything else no.

And honestly, what is your problem with droids? Seems like you're personally offended by them. ;D

;D I'm basically the barman at the Mos Eisley cantina. No the droids are great, but they shouldn't have been in the prequels. It was lazy, made the world seem smaller, and created too many contradictions with the OT. Also, R2D2 flies now?!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4787 on: September 17, 2023, 02:38:34 pm »
I don't have a problem with fan service, it's always felt like a weird criticism to throw at sequels, but I agree that they've gone overboard with it pretty frequently. One of the more egregious cases was the Solo movie, with Darth Maul somehow being involved despite Han's backstory having absolutely no need for it.

Ahsoka has been fine in that regard though, seeing Anakin and how he has changed was interesting and it does feel weirdly nostalgic seeing characters even from not great movies.

The show itself I'd say isn't particularly good. Great visuals, some great moments, but otherwise it feels like cutscenes from a video game someone has strung together into a youtube video. I'll watch it and do my best to disengage my brain, but it can be frustrating seeing them pump out mediocrity when Andor shows they're capable of so much more. While I recognise that Andor won't be to everyone's tastes due to a lack of lightsabers and space battles and such, it does feel like there's potential for them to make something genuinely incredible in this universe.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4788 on: September 17, 2023, 03:38:04 pm »
For all my criticism of the prequels, Rogue one has the worst bit of fan service imaginable. Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan… it made no sense and served no purpose

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4789 on: September 17, 2023, 11:05:45 pm »
I don't have a problem with fan service, it's always felt like a weird criticism to throw at sequels, but I agree that they've gone overboard with it pretty frequently. One of the more egregious cases was the Solo movie, with Darth Maul somehow being involved despite Han's backstory having absolutely no need for it.

There were two other films in that planned Solo 'trilogy' that unfortunately didn't get made due to the poor timing of Solo's release and the box office. If we'd have had those two films, Maul would have featured as head of that crime syndicate in the other stories (and part of the 'box ticking' origins in the 1st Solo film was to free the writers up for stores in the other two films - eek!).

Now that the planned Lando series is going be re-written as a film, we may see some of those ideas used or adapted - maybe...

'Donald Glover’s ‘Star Wars’ Series ‘Lando’ Is Now a Movie': https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lando-movie-donald-glover-star-wars-1235723736

For all my criticism of the prequels, Rogue one has the worst bit of fan service imaginable. Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan… it made no sense and served no purpose

Yeah, stuck out a bit, didn't it? :) That shouldn't be too surprising as both Gary Whitta and Gareth Edwards didn't want them to feature in the film (and certainly not as they ended up appearing in it). Some sort of promo crossover into a comic and game or something - along with execs at one time wanting to 'ground' the film so people would know the film was definitely set in the OT era (execs meddling etc and likely negotiations in editing! :( ).

One day we may find out the more intricate details of what occurred there - but unfortunately it likely won't be from either of Gilroy or Edwards. Yet with Whitta - may well be...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 11:24:19 pm by oojason »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4790 on: September 18, 2023, 12:26:00 am »
You keep saying this but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Again, look at the characters and the way they act, the dialogue, the humour, the pacing, the visuals, etc etc, and you can't with a straight face tell me they were better in the prequels. Overall story yes, music yes, almost everything else no.

;D I'm basically the barman at the Mos Eisley cantina. No the droids are great, but they shouldn't have been in the prequels. It was lazy, made the world seem smaller, and created too many contradictions with the OT. Also, R2D2 flies now?!

I don't need to defend my position on this. People are free to think what they like. I gave the sequels every chance and to my mind they are garbage. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with those who disagree. The prequels are better because they actually have a unifying story.

If you could combine the characterisation of the sequels with the story telling of the prequels then you would have the perfect set of films. But the bottom line is that the story behind the sequels leads nowhere. It's ultimately bs. Nothing will change my mind on that, so get angry all you want!

EDIT: I love Rogue One. I think it's the best film of the Disney Era.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:28:39 am by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4791 on: September 18, 2023, 12:36:00 am »
I've never watched attack of the clones or any of the animated stuff. As a casual viewer I've really enjoyed Ashoka, the only one of the series that I think they really dropped the ball on was the one I didn't think they would & that was Obi-Wan but even then I enjoyed it for what it was.

The lack of chains helps.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4792 on: September 18, 2023, 11:36:39 am »
I don't need to defend my position on this. People are free to think what they like. I gave the sequels every chance and to my mind they are garbage. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with those who disagree. The prequels are better because they actually have a unifying story.

If you could combine the characterisation of the sequels with the story telling of the prequels then you would have the perfect set of films. But the bottom line is that the story behind the sequels leads nowhere. It's ultimately bs. Nothing will change my mind on that, so get angry all you want!

EDIT: I love Rogue One. I think it's the best film of the Disney Era.

What part of my last post made you think I was angry? Weird response.

Just one more point on the storytelling: the overall story arc of the prequels was clearly better, but the storytelling within the actual films was poor - full of characters doing things that made no sense and storylines that were implausible or just really dull. If I'm watching a bad film I'm not going to think "this is actually good because there's a coherent overall plan for the trilogy". Films are about the experience of actually watching them, and if that experience is a negative one then they're not good films - regardless of what the overall plan is.

Online lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4793 on: September 18, 2023, 11:48:58 am »

True.
But it also has the best bit of fan service with Vader at the end.
That bit alone is better than anything in the sequel trilogy.
Rogue One, Solo, Andor and The Madalorian season 1& 2 are all watchable stuff, the rest is just pure garbage.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4794 on: September 18, 2023, 12:10:04 pm »
True.
Rogue One, Solo, Andor and The Madalorian season 1& 2 are all watchable stuff, the rest is just pure garbage.

I'd recommend the 'Star Wars: Visions' animated series for anyone to give a go too. Standalone one-off stories each running around 10-20 minutes long, in differing animation styles, for random stories for all across the GFFA... and hardly any legacy characters at all.

The type of Star Wars content we'd have probably all loved as kids. Some of the episodes have been visually stunning, others haunting, a few have been batshit over the top fun ;D

And as ever with standalone anthology episodes... if a couple of them don't really work for you - or appeal to you - then there are a fair few others to choose from that likely will. :thumbup

Hopefully they'll do more of these - maybe even expand them to telling a few of the shorter lesser-known stories from 'Legends' / old EU (novels, comics and games etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Visions & www.imdb.com/title/tt13622982 & www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-visions

Volume 1 was mainly from Japanese anime studios, wears as Volume 2 opened the series up to animated studios from all across the world - with all sorts budgets and distinct styles.

'Visions: Producers Envision A Muppet-Like Style For Volume 3': www.slashfilm.com/1277185/star-wars-visions-volume-2-producers-envision-a-muppet-like-style-for-volume-3

'Star Wars: Visions - Volume 1 | Official Trailer | Disney+':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jtAsl-0o3O0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jtAsl-0o3O0</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/jtAsl-0o3O0

'Star Wars: Visions - Volume 2 | Official Trailer | Disney+':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SSXqU92cymY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SSXqU92cymY</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/SSXqU92cymY

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:18:47 pm by oojason »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #4795 on: September 18, 2023, 12:27:14 pm »
visions was fun. a bit hit and miss but you'd expect that with that kind of thing.

Online rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4796 on: September 18, 2023, 04:20:22 pm »
Finished Andor last night, great stuff. Wasn't a fan of the first two episodes, absolutely captivating after that. Personally think that the only actually good Star Wars film is ESB, and had almost given up on anything else coming out that is more than just watchable flumpff.

Not sure if it reflects well on the universe that they can make something so good that ignores all the
Spoiler
Jedi stuff
[close]
, or if it reflects poorly because so much of what it excels at is basically seperate from the universe it takes place in. Think the same show could have been made in any sci-fi setting and it'd be just as good, if you know what I mean.

Did it get any criticism for not getting bogged down in Skywalker nonsense? Never understood why anyone cares about that lineage, not at least to the point that Abrams seemed so desperate to anchor his films with it and make them actively worse as a result.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4797 on: September 18, 2023, 05:09:31 pm »
Finished Andor last night, great stuff. Wasn't a fan of the first two episodes, absolutely captivating after that. Personally think that the only actually good Star Wars film is ESB, and had almost given up on anything else coming out that is more than just watchable flumpff.

Not sure if it reflects well on the universe that they can make something so good that ignores all the
Spoiler
Jedi stuff
[close]
, or if it reflects poorly because so much of what it excels at is basically seperate from the universe it takes place in. Think the same show could have been made in any sci-fi setting and it'd be just as good, if you know what I mean.

Did it get any criticism for not getting bogged down in Skywalker nonsense? Never understood why anyone cares about that lineage, not at least to the point that Abrams seemed so desperate to anchor his films with it and make them actively worse as a result.

There's a fair bit about Andor as it aired, from P103-109 of this thread (with a few 'in-depth' videos on P109: www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=299327.4320).

A few critics lamented it didn't have Jedi / Skywalkers in - and some grifting 'influencer' idiot said it didn't feel like Star Wars because it had 'bricks and screws' in.  :shite:

Though it has been very well received overall, with fans looking forward to the 2nd season - and most seem happy that it was indeed something different to what has come before, and a little more grown-up, gritty, and grounded. That we also got to see the Imperial POV - they obviously aren't the two-dimensional bad guys here; they are competent and effective, also resonated. Along with reflecting certain real-world situations and life.

;)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:28:40 pm by oojason »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4798 on: September 18, 2023, 06:42:30 pm »
True.

I enjoyed the Vader stuff but also found it to be a bit much. They could’ve made him a bit more lumbering like he is in episode 4. As it was, it was pretty incongruous with the Vader you see in the OT.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #4799 on: September 20, 2023, 11:35:17 am »
Ahsoka episode 6

Spoiler
The long awaited arrival of this massive threat and it's just an old, pot-bellied blue guy. Hardly the most intimidating entrance.

It's completely clear now that this show isn't for the people who haven't seen the cartoons. Filoni has not really made an effort to get us to care about these characters or if he has he's done a pretty poor job of it.

The show's saving grace is Ray Stevenson who continues to be the only reason to bother watching. Find myself switching off whenever he's not on screen.
[close]