Author Topic: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?  (Read 241795 times)

Offline lostpet.

• rewardoffered.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert text here: No Jokes Allowed
Re: What's really going on? Selling, 'rebuilding the squad', what?
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:11 pm »
Why the fxck would any supporter care about how much FSG reduced the wage bill by?  That only benefits them, not the team or any supporter. 

Waken up to what's going on ffs.

Long term build up to a sustained period of success with a "improved" (maybe, i have doubts) financial system vs short term success by blowing Millions on players looking for a quick fix - i'll take long term anyday, i'm patient, its not like i'm used to winning the league every year

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD
(as i've seen worse)
Lots of sensible stuff in there imo mate. I agree entirely.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »
And now we blew even the chance to resell those players for good money with someone like Ayre...

I am sorry, what did you expect Ayre to do? Adam and Carroll have been very poor for 12 months and on huge wages. What would your master negotiating plan be?

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »
I understand the negativity on here tonight. What I don't understand are the people who do feel that way, feel responsible to beat anyone with the slightest bit of optimism down.

Does that make me an apologist? Logically we are short one or two strikers, things didn't go the way we planned and there was no back-up plan, basically some poor decisions were made.

I understand that, but I'm still excited. Worst case scenario we resort to the youth, which is our long term plan anyway, right? I understand the frustration with everything, I just don't understand the need to piss on the slightest hint of optimism/positivity.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #684 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »
What should they have done? stayed there and ended up knee jerking and paying £35m for a goat?
Yeah because it was only possible to buy players today wasn't it :lmao

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #685 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
I don't think the Carroll move was all that bright in retrospect, but I can see why they would loan him with a view to a sale. Better that than him sitting on the bench rotting away and massively devaluing. Still think it was short-sighted though. Thing is, all those complaining FSG didn't spend big are overlooking the fact that the last two managers wasted an enormous amount of cash. Our £35m striker from last year is gone on loan, Adam has gone for half price, our £20m winger has become a back-up FB and we can't even find a home for Henderson. Our buys over the last few years have been so poor we could barely raise £10m in transfers even though we shipped out so many players, while about £85m in transfers have effectively halved in value in one season alone. That's not the owners fault, that's RHs and KDs fault. Pointing to Spus canny busy dealings over looks the fact they just made huge returns on Modric and VDV. So, rebuilding no, damage limitation in fact.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Dont believe that is true

You think they're going to invest more of their money?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
Frankly, if I was Brendan I'd resign. Obviously been told lies and has now been hung out to dry by his MD.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
Rory smith confirming Kenny blew the only investment that FSG were prepared to put into transfers. No more is coming.
If they had stuck with Kennys players, and his style and the players had failed this season fair enough, they threw the whole lot out instead.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #689 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »
Not looking good as Rodgers wanted 2 in and got none in, well and truely shafted in the back. 17 senior players. Loads of kids being asked to step up probably before their ready to do a whole season. Any injuries and we'll be in real trouble.

Offline mtred1984

• Doesn't rate Matt Jarvis' ability to source tickets. Wishes he lived in wonderful St Helens.
  • Kopite
« Reply #690 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:48 pm »
i cant fully understand why ayre is negotiating deals with players. What given right does he have to say no hes not worth that amount of money. I suspect that he is just a yes man to the chairmen, and is instructed not to go above a certain figure.

We hear frm fsg that they want to build a better structure within the club, but in reality its not alot different from when they first took over. Its a fucking mess. Whilst i am happy with allen, sahin. The jury is out on borini and assaidi. What frustrates me even more is the amount we are saving on wages, yet getting record shirt sponsorship deals. 

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:49 pm »
Won't be many players left to discuss in the 'So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?' thread.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2012, 11:08:58 pm »
This is what happens when you swing between one type of manager to another, upheaval and the new manager unwilling to use the older players, or finding the last managers players are incapable of doing what they need.

You are right. Still trust Rodgers but the circumstances turned out to be even worse than I thought...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »
I get the impression FSG are slashing the wage bill in order to sell the club. Can't see any other reason why they won't put their hand in their pocket for new players.

I'm getting this impression too.  They've slashed the wage bill for the Red Sox in one of the biggest "salary dumps" ever and they're going "Year Zero" in Boston as well.

Only, it's much, much easier to rebuild from year zero in baseball than football.  Slashing the wage bill without replacing players is extremely stupid.  In baseball, you can afford to spend years outside of contention developing young talent and eventually storm to the top and win.  In football, especially in England, that is impossible.

I honestly don't think FSG's rebuild "year zero" model will hold much water in England, not when we've struggled so much recently.  If they'd taken over in 2007, we'd be in amazing shape.  But unfortunately, we need major investment on all fronts, but their commitment to a rebuild might not end well.

Does make you wonder if they feel they're in over their head and are looking to sell.
King Kenny.

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:11 pm »
`
Don't use logic mate. It's not good.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline Noble Nayudu

• Kopite
« Reply #695 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »
What should they have done? stayed there and ended up knee jerking and paying £35m for a goat?

maybe pay 6m for a striker/mf who was desperate to join us and we were interested in throughout the summer.

Offline Scousebeef

• Kopite
  • BELIEVER!
« Reply #696 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »
I'm not understanding this, Rodgers has been allowed to splash out substantially on Borini & Allen plus the few others. It went tits up today so the rebuilding was thwarted. Do people expect cash to be thrown to satisfy us lot? There has to be measured and tactical thinking behind all signings.

Its us who gives them the cash!
"you have to change from being a doubter to a believer"
-Jurgén Klopp-

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »
Ok Suarez and Borini are both out for 3 months who plays up top?
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:21 pm »
If Brendan keeps us in the hunt for 4th by January he would have done fantastic, and I would hope FSG then back him financially with some investment.

Cleared a lot of deadwood out but I still feel we are at least one quality forward short of what we needed to cope with so many games.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
Jesus, even the mods are at it.

Even the mods can be wrong

Offline And CouldHe Play!

• but not And Could He Play, different bloke entirely.
  • Kopite
  • Shakedown, 1979
« Reply #700 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »
Starting to question whether these owners, though not shoving us into to debt, are the people to take us to the next level.

The fact is without a Sheik, or Roman, there isn't much chance of us building a team capable of winning the CL/PL.

I guess on days like this it's natural to feel the need to get a sugar daddy, but is it possible to achieve what we want to achieve in the modern game without the wise investment of hundreds of millions of pounds into the playing staff?

If we had a prolific striker we would easy be CL spot. Everything behind the striker is fine
Fuck it, I'm taking me dog for a walk. The pair of us are completely bollocksed and take turns a piece dragging one another along. We look a bit like one of Roy's midfield pairings, but with a wee bit more guile and panache. Well, on the dog's side, anyway

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:43 pm »
Well our problem last season was putting the ball in the net. Has brendan rodgers been allowed to address this?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #702 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »
Someone should tell him much of that spend was funded by sales. 

who gives a fuck how much of it was funded by sales, the fact is we brought in a 100m worth of players and only about 30m was worth it (suarez, enrique). i think it's fair to say that the 70m spent on carroll, downing, henderson, adam has been pissed down the fucking drain - regardless of where the money came from, it could have been spent better.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #703 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:53 pm »
I'm not understanding this, Rodgers has been allowed to splash out substantially on Borini & Allen plus the few others. It went tits up today so the rebuilding was thwarted. Do people expect cash to be thrown to satisfy us lot? There has to be measured and tactical thinking behind all signings.

No, but you cant argue that not replacing Carroll effectively is an astute move. That wasn't measured, it was stupid. You just have to look at the playing numbers. I have no problem with Carroll leaving. I dont think he is suited to us. But, better him than an 18 year old and Suarez to start all games, which is the situation now.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Anny Roader
  • It stinks of fish in here!
« Reply #704 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:00 pm »
He could have resigned and saved us another £10k per week

Who've you got in mind for the job?
WTF!!! This gave me pins and needles in my eyes! We would look like a bunch of Bulgarian Ice skaters wearing that! Wank!  ;)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:13 pm »
Going to be a big test for Rodgers

Good luck lad, you'll have my full support all the way through  :wave

Offline nevoo36

• Not One Of Us.
  • Kopite
« Reply #706 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:18 pm »
Am all for getting the wage bill down but seriously, like 13 players have gone and 5 come in?

Werner said they wanted to increase the wage bill not reduce it, crock of shit just like we have the money to compete with any club in the world.

They are not as bad as the previous regime but fuck me they are close, only difference is they aren't piling loads of debt on the club. No ambition at all and someone laughed at me when I said we wouldn't make CL in the next 5 years. We are a mid table team.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:18 pm »
Rory smith confirming Kenny blew the only investment that FSG were prepared to put into transfers. No more is coming.

We will be paying for this for years to come. I still can't beleive how badly we blew £100 million.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #708 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »
Morgan. What do I win?

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #709 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »

fsg have always said that the club would have to be self sufficient. i have read john henry say that numerous times. i dont know what the accounting books are like but im presuming we have spent what we have been able to generate during this transfer window. i repeat fsg have always said that the club would have to generate its own funds. they were never going to provide their own money. i seem to remember a lot of people being happy with this stance when they took over the club. we have spent 25 million on two players this summer.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #710 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »
I fell much anger in the room tonight.

Group hug methinks.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »
Disgusted in FSG, but expected little else. I suspect sympathy for them will now be in shorter supply. Feel sorry for Rodgers, as he will be left to carry the can in front of the media. Disgrace.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:46 pm »

erm, erm next question
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »
"They come not to pay"

no fucking kidding.
That just genuinely made me LOL.

Always wondered what that was about, now we know. :-\
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:14 pm »
I am sorry, what did you expect Ayre to do? Adam and Carroll have been very poor for 12 months and on huge wages. What would your master negotiating plan be?

You may know how long any transfer window is open? There is a possibilty of indentifying two attacking players and buy them well before the end of the window... it´s a pretty common business model, a lot of clubs can do that and I don´t have to reinvent it.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:15 pm »
We have just 17 senior players at the moment, two injures & we're fucked. Bear in mind we have more games to play this season as we're in the Europa League.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #716 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:16 pm »
Couldn't we even get a half decent loan signing for a striker if we didn't have any dough ??
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #717 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:17 pm »
Even the mods can be wrong
She's not wrong though.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Anny Roader
  • It stinks of fish in here!
« Reply #718 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »

Ahhh rite, so we haven't bought anyone this window have we :lmao
WTF!!! This gave me pins and needles in my eyes! We would look like a bunch of Bulgarian Ice skaters wearing that! Wank!  ;)

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »
Who've you got in mind for the job?

You