Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 431699 times)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »
But these attributes alone are not enough, don't you think?

You need them in the PL though. If not you just end up like Emile.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1281 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
I'm comparing a 21 year old Xavi, to a 21 year old Henderson, their similarities in style and strengths and weaknesses at the same age. Of course he isn't the player Xavi is now, that would be fucking ridiculous.

Lucas was shite four years ago, I seem to remember. Right about that one too, weren't ya?

No offence but I don't agree with the bit about Xavi no matter what age. I can't see Jordan possessing any of his qualities in the slightest. Xavi was and is a totally different kind of player and I do wish people would stop the "I bet you said that about Lucas too". It's just a sad response that is brought up every time anyone says anything negative about Henderson. By all means disagree but there's no need for the Lucas nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:10:12 pm by redprodigal »

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »
Henderson seems to possess an outstanding football brain, and outstanding ability on the ball.

Outstanding ability on the ball? Fair play the lad is young and he needs time but "outstanding" is typical of the over reaction we get on here when sticking up for a player. If you stood outside the ground on Saturday and asked everbody walking past what they thought of that statement you would have people in hysterics. Outstanding he most certainly isn't. He may well be in years to come but at the present time that's a joke, in my opinion of course.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1283 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »
I can't help but support Henderson.

For me, he's the best quality player we have signed in the last two years (after Suarez ).

If he were playing in the man u midfield, he would be talked about as a future great.

He's not being played in the position that always attends him and let's him show the best of his talents...  But I've. Ow worries about his future potential with us whatsoever.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »
We had tried that at RM.

As for the one season wonder comment - This is the thing. Henderson has never had a good overall season.

We should try him centrally.

I would also suggest Henderson at his age in comparison to Adam at the same age has done alot better.

The fault with Henderson was that he was introduced into our first 11 too quickly
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:31:53 pm by The G in Gerrard »

Offline AULD-OLDIE

• Anny Roader
  • Quiza-un-dia
« Reply #1285 on: March 22, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »
There was a time when Liverpool bought young players who then learnt how to play the Liverpool way, in the reserves, before being unleashed on the 1st team. (Some exceptions being Keegan.) Today they are thrust into the limelight straight-away without having the confidence to back up their talent.
Truth - 12.09.2012.
Now for JUSTICE !

Offline ChristophLFC

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1286 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
i have really been trying to understand why he is being put out on the right wing, you no pay extra attention to him when playing and trying to understand kenny's reason for putting him there.

but i am struggling, he just looks completely lost there almost like he doesn't no what to do, whether to push forward or to help the rb, stay tight on the wing or tuck inside

for the very few times he's played in the center he's looked good, like he belongs there, our midfield should be  gerrard spearing henderson

kenny must be deliberately playing him in the wrong position for him gain all round experience sort of what rafa did with gerrard, because i honestly am really baffled with kenny on this one, to be honest its getting quite annoying almost like kenny is trolling us  :D

please kenny just play him in the center :wave

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: March 22, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »
There was a time when Liverpool bought young players who then learnt how to play the Liverpool way, in the reserves, before being unleashed on the 1st team. (Some exceptions being Keegan.) Today they are thrust into the limelight straight-away without having the confidence to back up their talent.

Exactly. In all seriousness, someone like Raheem Sterling has done more for this club than Henderson ever has, he's done more to earn or warrant the chances afforded to a few others too. I know that sounds ridiculous, and it's an extreme example as the same is true of the likes of Maxi and Bellamy imo.

Henderson has shown promise obviously, he might even develop into a very good player. But right at this moment, he's just not good enough to be starting that many games for a club with ambitions of fourth never mind beyond that. Eventually, i hope, he repays the faith Kenny has shown in him, you'd think having the backing of that man would make you feel ten foot tall? Not the case apparently.

Offline Gongfarmer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1288 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »
New poster but I am sticking my neck out here. He will still be at Liverpool in 5 years time. And because we want him before the smart replys come in!
Serendipity is when you're looking for the needle in the haystack and you find the farmer's daughter..

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: March 22, 2012, 10:52:17 pm »
How often did he play centrally for Sunderland?

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: March 22, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »
No offence but I don't agree with the bit about Xavi no matter what age. I can't see Jordan possessing any of his qualities in the slightest. Xavi was and is a totally different kind of player and I do wish people would stop the "I bet you said that about Lucas too". It's just a sad response that is brought up every time anyone says anything negative about Henderson. By all means disagree but there's no need for the Lucas nonsense.

How is the Lucas comparison nonsense? Young player, brought in to lots of hype (though Henderson's hype was almost totally based on his fee), hasn't impressed much early on, gets loads of stick from some and has loads of others seeing signs of potential. And you can't really explain it by saying "Lucas is different because he's turned out to be a great player," can you? You'll have to wait 4 or so years for that.

Of course, watching Babel or Ngog struggle, one might have been inclined to say "Lucas struggled at first too, and look what happened to him." And we'd obviously have been wrong. But that doesn't change the lesson from Lucas' example; which is that it's stupid to write off a "promising" 21/22-year-old unless he looks unequivocally terrible. Which, I guess, is the way some of you feel about Henderson.

Offline DavidNgog90

• Main Stander
« Reply #1291 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »
How often did he play centrally for Sunderland?

Good question.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »
How is the Lucas comparison nonsense? Young player, brought in to lots of hype (though Henderson's hype was almost totally based on his fee), hasn't impressed much early on, gets loads of stick from some and has loads of others seeing signs of potential. And you can't really explain it by saying "Lucas is different because he's turned out to be a great player," can you? You'll have to wait 4 or so years for that.

Of course, watching Babel or Ngog struggle, one might have been inclined to say "Lucas struggled at first too, and look what happened to him." And we'd obviously have been wrong. But that doesn't change the lesson from Lucas' example; which is that it's stupid to write off a "promising" 21/22-year-old unless he looks unequivocally terrible. Which, I guess, is the way some of you feel about Henderson.

Not writing him off yet. Just saying that some of the compliments like great, outstanding, beast etc are way OTT. And yes, I think the Lucas comparison is nonsense because it is brought up time and time again when anyone makes a negative comment. Just leave Lucas out of it. He was a lad who got too much stick and who came good. If Henderson does the same then I'll be made up but to bring the Lucas argument into it every time is tiresome.

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1293 on: March 22, 2012, 11:43:56 pm »
I did not see the QPR game, but the highlights show him getting beat badly on the corner for the first goal. (1:40 in)

http://www.footytube.com/video/queens-park-rangers-liverpool-mar21-109284?ref=tchan_ov_vidgrid

I'm happy to give him time, but he needs to address several issues if he is going to be a mainstay in the LFC that I'd like to see:

1) tackling
2) opening up a settled defense
3) whipping a cross in
4) courage in the air

on the plus side is a good work rate and possession.
I expect a good central midfielder to have creativity,  be able to maintain possession, know when to do both, and recapturing the ball.

He doesn't show enough creativity for me as an attcking midfielder, even at this age; nor enough tackling/bottle for a defensive midfielder.
I hope he improves.

Offline SmithyTheRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1294 on: March 22, 2012, 11:44:44 pm »
Until I see evidence to suggest otherwise, Henderson is nothing more than an average player.
He could come good like Lucas, but equally he may not.
I don't know what Henderson adds to the team.
Red

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: March 23, 2012, 09:42:10 am »
This thread is fucking nauseating, excellent post from Daws aside.
Fucking bin it, don't need more people embarrassing themselves.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline Gene

• Severe Tropical Cyclone (RSMC Nadi designation:12F JTWC designation:15P)
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #1296 on: March 23, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
This thread is fucking nauseating, excellent post from Daws aside.
Fucking bin it, don't need more people embarrassing themselves.

That's the way with most of the player threads these days. They all do my head in.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:53 am »
I think the only problem is that he's played too much. Any player his age is inconsistent, and you need to take them out of the limelight at times. It's obviously a difficult balance here, as someone young with potential also needs games to develop, but we could've benched him more often.

Some may disagree that he even has potential, but I rate his first touch, that he's able to receive the ball when there's little space, that he can move the ball quickly, often in one touch, and his movement when we have the ball is very good. He makes the pitch bigger, and can run beyond his opponents. Still needs to hit the box more often when there's a chance, could've taken a few more shots when he's been in good positions, and he needs to work on every aspect when we don't have the ball. Doesn't get close enough to the opposition to be able to press, don't know where to position himself, can't really tackle at all.

But I don't get why he's started over 75% of our games. In his tucked in wide role, we have a very good option, someone who Henderson could've learned from and be rotated with. But for some reason, we never use Maxi on the right, we hardly use him at all, and I must say I find that strange. He might not be what he was, but he still moves the ball quickly, has excellent movement, even scores goals from time to time, and he positions himself well when we don't have the ball. When Meireles (who was used in the same sort of role under Kenny) was sold, I though we'd see Maxi a lot more.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:26:40 am by Roger Federer »

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: March 23, 2012, 11:44:35 am »

not really.

it's a clear parallel.people never understood what lucas bought to the team when he first came and a lot of people were saying he fouled too much etc etc.there were others who highlighted his positives and said he had potential which he proved.

henderson has weaknesses,the right side is not for him.

he has a lot of positives though.the first touch pass,movement,technique are all excellent and have the potential to be top drawer.if anyone think he has no place in the future of this club then they are quite frankly an idiot
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:34:43 pm by isildurrr »
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1299 on: March 23, 2012, 11:55:39 am »
The Lucas comparison is nonsense.

I rate Henderson and would say he's been on of Kenny's better signings. How Kenny has used him though is a different discussion.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »
if you think he has no place in the future of this club then you are quite frankly an idiot

Haha, calling someone an idiot just because they have a different opinion to you. What a tit  :wanker
And where in that post did I say he has no future at the club? Think before you post.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:30:06 pm by redprodigal »

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »
He was a lad who got too much stick and who came good.

henderson gets way too much stick too...

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:32 pm »
Haha, calling someone an idiot just because they have a different opinion to you. What a tit  :wanker
And where in that post did I say he has no future at the club? Think before you post.

yeah saw that.that last bit wasn't directed at you particularly,the rest was.changed it now

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #1303 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »
The lad will come good for us eventually. He wont be a world class player, but he'll be a very good one

He has been thrust into our first team with way too much regularity this season. I was expecting him to be eased in a little slower

Its frustrating seeing him being a passenger in some games knowing that Maxi or Kuyt should be on the pitch ahead of him
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #1304 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »
Good player. Plenty of promise. Has been played too much in his first season. Should have been rotated out more regularly and let him earn his spot with Kuyt. KD is pretty one eyed with his signings even if they arent performing well :/

Offline gandalf968

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1305 on: March 23, 2012, 12:45:12 pm »
Hes been isolated in the right. Clearly he doesnt have the winger ability to beat the player, cut in and lay the pass. And he keeps drifting from right to mid. So we got no movement in the right flank. He should play as an attacking midfielder cause he has a good eye for a pass and vision. I mean how hard it is to drop adam, put spearing in as a holding midfielder with gerrard as his support. And suarez/ kuyt/maxi/bellamy/downing in left or right wingers and carroll in head of them. He doesnt fit in a 4-4-2 formation. 4-5-1 should be the best for him

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »
Does anyone think Carragher shouted to Henderson to leave it for the first goal?

I think he must have done, otherwise he wouldn't have bent over to leave it surely?!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1307 on: March 23, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »
Does anyone think Carragher shouted to Henderson to leave it for the first goal?

I think he must have done, otherwise he wouldn't have bent over to leave it surely?!

I haven't watched replays since the match, but it looked like he got pushed down rather than bending over willingly.

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1308 on: March 23, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »
cant wait to see him get a good run in the middle.
think some opinions will change among the naysayers

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1309 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:45 pm »
I did not see the QPR game, but the highlights show him getting beat badly on the corner for the first goal. (1:40 in)

So why bother fucken commenting on it then? Typical of this place, shite
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »
I haven't watched replays since the match, but it looked like he got pushed down rather than bending over willingly.

Surely he was bending over willingly!

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1311 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »
The Lucas comparison is nonsense.

I rate Henderson and would say he's been on of Kenny's better signings. How Kenny has used him though is a different discussion.

In the whole Moneyball stuff one of the concepts is to get the replacement in before you sell the starter.  I think there's a good chance that Comolli sees Henderson as the long term Lucas replacement/back-up/partner, but since that position has so much responsibility he's being given a less demanding role on the right while he learns the trade.  He's got good technical skills and can run all day, he just needs to get much better at reading the game to play at that position.  I could be completely wrong.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: March 23, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »
I rate him highly personally, some of his passes are brilliant, he has things to improve upon but what player doesn't at his age. I made a post on his passing and other best attributes a while back but i cant find it now as the search doesn't seem to be working but i still see him in the same way.

I never want to see him played on the right again, he may have done well there for sunderland but it doesn't suit him for liverpool. Keep him in the centre and give him time to work on his weaknesses and improve as a player

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: March 23, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »
Hes been isolated in the right. Clearly he doesnt have the winger ability to beat the player, cut in and lay the pass. And he keeps drifting from right to mid. So we got no movement in the right flank.

That's what Johnson is for(when he is fit), & him drifting centrally should allow Gerrard to be more confident in pushing forward.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »
Clearly he is  still a very young player in his first season at Liverpool, in fact, has done relatively well for this. Will be about and an influence in the future.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:00 pm »
has anyone noticed that when gerrard and henderson are on the pitch at the same time, gerrard tends to play deeper. if henderson can replace adam in the team vs qpr then we have a good flowing team. henderson isn't creative enough to be behind the striker imo but i'm all up for him in centre midfield with spearing alongside. if he can't play in the midfield 2 then i'd prefer shelvey. if gerrards fit gerrard must be behind the striker simple as that
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #1316 on: March 23, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »
Henderson has played more than we wanted imo... Lucas, gerrard getting injured, carroll off form, suarez ban etc... He has shown glimpses of pure class while other times he can make you pull your hair out with his lack of involvement.

When coming off the bench he has played alright, cameos vs Norwich, Man Utd, Everton etc...

Next season henderson, adam, kuyt, downing, bellamy, hoilett and texeira (if we can get them) can definitely do a very good job as squad players, also as game changers...

Add 3 new first eleven players, a ST, a LW and a DM.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:19:12 pm by Suarez7Carroll9 »

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #1317 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:19 pm »
Oh and age is no excuse for him - been playing in the PL for a while now.

Doesn't mean he ages any different... Age is a massive excuse.

Offline chris18lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1318 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:39 pm »
can't really tackle at all.

He has the third highest tackles won % out of our entire team (83.8%) just behind Spearing (87.1%) and Enrique (83.9%)

While I agree his tackling needs to improve he does have tackling ability.

Offline Reds and Revs

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1319 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:55 pm »
So why bother fucken commenting on it then? Typical of this place, shite

I commented on the highlight and copied it.
Are you unable to follow the link, didn't see the goal, or just an ass?