Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3333229 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #22000 on: September 16, 2019, 01:36:11 pm »
SOS still do some good work on day-to-day fan issues but it seems like they’re desperate to be relevant on a bigger stage.

I think they might have jumped the shark on this one which is a shame.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22001 on: September 17, 2019, 09:13:51 am »
Who’s the one on the podcasts who reminds me of Stephen Graham?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #22002 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:38 am »
Who’s the one on the podcasts who reminds me of Stephen Graham?

Jay McKenna?

Feel like Neil says Fabinho struggles every other game. How's he one of the best holding midfielders in the world if he's having a bad 30 minutes all the time?

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22003 on: September 17, 2019, 02:16:16 pm »
You guys need to laugh more at City and rivals when they do badly. Hearing the likes of Ben Johnson, Rob Guttman and Adam Melia when the rivals lose should be a show in itself. Neil is very professional at times, trying not to focus too much on City's loss on the Anfield Wrap show, which is a good and bad thing.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #22004 on: September 18, 2019, 09:53:40 am »
You guys need to laugh more at City and rivals when they do badly.

I would bin it straight off if it became a 'banter' show that laughed at other club's defeats.

Dicusss it when a rival gets beat, say you are happy when they get beat, but not's let it become a verbal version of the nobs on Twitter.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22005 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:20 am »
I would bin it straight off if it became a 'banter' show that laughed at other club's defeats.

Dicusss it when a rival gets beat, say you are happy when they get beat, but not's let it become a verbal version of the nobs on Twitter.

Absolutely (apart from the Ev of course). One of the great things about the Wrap is the sensible discussion with fans of other clubs.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22006 on: September 19, 2019, 08:30:46 am »
Nevin having a pop at Peter Moore regarding his Napoli hospital visit is bizarre - talking about it being ‘good PR’.

For such a fair-minded, informed past contributor on TAW, I find his online ‘tone’ extremely odd. I get he may feel disenfranchised about modern football but he’s increasingly arl arse about the whole thing...and wants us all to know.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22007 on: September 19, 2019, 08:52:43 am »
Nevin having a pop at Peter Moore regarding his Napoli hospital visit is bizarre - talking about it being ‘good PR’.

For such a fair-minded, informed past contributor on TAW, I find his online ‘tone’ extremely odd. I get he may feel disenfranchised about modern football but he’s increasingly arl arse about the whole thing...and wants us all to know.

Is he Laura Kussenberg from the BBC in disguise?

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #22008 on: September 19, 2019, 08:53:01 am »
Nevin is an awful contributor nowadays.

So much so it puts me off listening to an old favourite "WWCH" because, despite his formidable memory, I just don't value what he has to say anymore. Sorry. Check out his twitter for more hilariously bad / bitter takes.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #22009 on: September 19, 2019, 09:56:03 am »

So much so it puts me off listening to an old favourite "WWCH" because, despite his formidable memory, I just don't value what he has to say anymore. Sorry. Check out his twitter for more hilariously bad / bitter takes.
he's superb at looking backwards, not forwards.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22010 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:40 am »
he's superb at looking backwards, not forwards.

That's a good way of putting it.

I still love him on WWCH shows personally.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #22011 on: September 19, 2019, 01:21:23 pm »

Thought you meant Pat for a minute. He's jumped the shark too.

The Unwrapped today was fantastic. I'd love some in-depth "what the hell is football going to look like in x years?" content.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22012 on: September 19, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »

So much so it puts me off listening to an old favourite "WWCH" because, despite his formidable memory, I just don't value what he has to say anymore.
Yeah, I'm glad we've don't have to listen to Mike anymore and can enjoy the soothing tones of Rebecca Knight et al instead.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #22013 on: September 19, 2019, 10:02:04 pm »
The Unwrapped today was fantastic. I'd love some in-depth "what the hell is football going to look like in x years?" content.
Yes I liked that.  Disagreed with virtually every word, like, but I enjoyed listening to it.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22014 on: September 20, 2019, 08:44:32 am »
Are the videos supposed to appear in the posts about them on the website? For example this one https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2019/09/chelsea-liverpool-preview-show/

They work on the general video player page, but in posts like the one above I just see a screenshot; no video loads when you go to the page.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22015 on: September 20, 2019, 08:57:03 am »

I didn't hear it but knew someone somewhere would say something like that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #22016 on: September 20, 2019, 01:10:35 pm »
Neil back on the Friday Show ASAP please.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #22017 on: September 20, 2019, 02:34:22 pm »
Is right. Didn't feel the same at all. Binned it off - got a plethora of podcasts to get through today before they start to become irrelevant as the football starts so I'll dip back in next week. I appreciate he's probably not around to record it this week, but Atko is the real star of that show for me and holds it all together quite expertly. 
I didn't hear it but knew someone somewhere would say something like that.
It was a tweet as opposed to a podcast. I replied to say I felt it was unfair. I can sort of see both sides of the trademark debate, but I can't help but feel it's a of a mountain out of a molehill. Whipping up support for the protest and the implication that you're not a true fan if you aren't apoplectic with rage in regards to the issue. I also felt a bit uncomfortable that it wasn't supposed to be a protest, just a wearing of independents and then that banner was backed out.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #22018 on: September 20, 2019, 02:40:23 pm »
Disappointed to learn the Time Out no longer exists. I think they mentioned it had been downgraded to a single-finger bar but that's not the case - it's a Time Out Wafer... Haven't had a Time Out in years, but craving one off the back of that show. I have the wafer versions occasionally and they are nice but nowhere near as chocolatey.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #22019 on: September 20, 2019, 02:54:51 pm »
Yeah, I'm glad we've don't have to listen to Mike anymore and can enjoy the soothing tones of Rebecca Knight et al instead.

Didn't realise those two were the only options.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22020 on: September 20, 2019, 05:33:42 pm »
Weekender lineup and flow wasn’t the best this week. Good Chelsea Team talk though.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22021 on: September 20, 2019, 05:44:32 pm »
I don't think that Spurs fan knew Rebecca was a Chelsea fan during that chat since he kept slagging them off at any opportunity   ;D

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #22022 on: September 20, 2019, 09:40:53 pm »
Rob Gutmann is a genius.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22023 on: September 20, 2019, 11:36:19 pm »
Are there any plans for the iOS app to fully support iPads in the future? It runs in "iPhone mode" at the moment, so videos aren't full screen.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #22024 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:44 am »
yup . Painful
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22025 on: September 22, 2019, 07:39:35 pm »
Seemingly a couple of issues with the TAW Video Player page on the website - when you first go to it it's giving warnings saying it's not secure when it asks for login details. Edit: Seems the site does work over https, which stops the security warning - so the Video Player menu link on the site just needs the http:// part of the link updating to https://.

It also seems to ask for username/password again even if you're logged in to the main TAW site.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:56:14 pm by Paul-LFC »

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #22026 on: September 22, 2019, 10:49:07 pm »
The PINk was recorded at 44k and played back at 48k
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22027 on: September 23, 2019, 06:22:03 am »
^ unless they’ve been sucking on the arl helium in Gutman’s car?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22028 on: September 23, 2019, 05:03:43 pm »
yup . Painful
Not sure it was painful, it’s more that you expect a certain type of show and get something completely different which is a bit unsatisfying for the regular listener.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22029 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Jamie Webster is a pretty good footy contributor. [emoji123]

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #22030 on: September 23, 2019, 05:51:19 pm »

I don't listen to anything other than free content (at the moment) but I recall realising that Mike Nevin may be prone to the ridiculous when he spouted off about his son and tickets. I can't fully recall what it was, but that combined with a him sounding like he had a pathological dislike of JK made me think he may not be playing with a full deck.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22031 on: September 23, 2019, 06:40:31 pm »
On the talk about Trent on the free show, I'm totally with Paul when it comes to Trent having put to bed the debate about playing right back or midfield. He's one of the best right backs in the world so why put that at risk by moving his position?

I don't get the Gerrard comparisons either. Gerrard played a handful of games at right back not two complete seasons with experience of playing the position in a World Cup and two European Cup finals.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22032 on: September 23, 2019, 07:30:11 pm »
On the talk about Trent on the free show, I'm totally with Paul when it comes to Trent having put to bed the debate about playing right back or midfield. He's one of the best right backs in the world so why put that at risk by moving his position?

I don't get the Gerrard comparisons either. Gerrard played a handful of games at right back not two complete seasons with experience of playing the position in a World Cup and two European Cup finals.
I think it's been put to bed as we stand in this iteration of Liverpool - he's basically a winger half the time which suits him perfectly. However, if he's still a Liverpool player in a decade then he may move into the middle a bit like Barnes - I think that's a better comparison than Gerrard in terms of how he may convert positions.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #22033 on: September 23, 2019, 07:43:20 pm »

I don't listen to anything other than free content (at the moment) but I recall realising that Mike Nevin may be prone to the ridiculous when he spouted off about his son and tickets. I can't fully recall what it was, but that combined with a him sounding like he had a pathological dislike of JK made me think he may not be playing with a full deck.
I think he's in complete possession of his faculties, loves Liverpool and he's been immersed in the fan culture for decades, which is great. Must have seen great things as a Red.

It's just that he seems to find all manor of issues with football modernity to the extent that he's finding fault where there is none. Football as a whole may well have been better in the olden days (he obviously thinks so), but right now this is all we've got and being ungenerous at every turn is more about him than the footy. Strewth, our best team in decades, wonderful footballers all over the pitch and he's hammering the CEO on Twitter about visiting an injured fan in a Napoli hospital.

This tone and 'attitude' all seemed to emerge after we sold Coutinho. He really lost his rag with the club and, by extension, the manager; suggesting that we'd be fine if Klopp left because Alonso or Gerrard would take over. Mad stuff.

Not sure he's even a TAW contributor anymore, which is a shame because he was an excellent voice on history shows but also contemporary stuff. Bring back that guy.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #22034 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:50 pm »
I thought Rob ‘Gooters’ Gutmann made a terrific point about VAR in an aside in his car on The Pink - possibly while off his rocker on helium, I dunno.

What he said was fans are not losing out on what used to be goals when they get chopped off by VAR - instead what it is is we’re now getting to see what would’ve happened in all those passages of play that never existed because the whistle used to blow.  So nobody’s losing out on anything.

I hadn’t thought about it that way before.  It almost made me change my mind.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22035 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »
I don't think that Spurs fan knew Rebecca was a Chelsea fan during that chat since he kept slagging them off at any opportunity   ;D

That was funny. I enjoy Rebecca Knight, she's blindly loyal to Mourinho and Chelsea (just as I am to Liverpool etc). She's got her point of view and I like how she just lets it rip. Used to really like herself, Paul and Mo on the European show. I know it was a one-off this weekend past with her presenting the  Friday show but fair fucks to her, good crew in with her as well.
As a general point I like the sharing out of the shows with new people stepping up to presenting. The quality of the podcasting is peerless in my opinion. So there. Go wrap !!!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22036 on: September 24, 2019, 08:07:28 am »

Not even sure I heard the "ca" of Rebecca Knight's name before I turned it off. I know you start to rotate after the first international break. Long season ahead, enjoy Vegas mate. 32 more Friday Shows with Neil please.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22037 on: September 24, 2019, 10:23:46 am »
I thought Rob ‘Gooters’ Gutmann made a terrific point about VAR in an aside in his car on The Pink - possibly while off his rocker on helium, I dunno.

What he said was fans are not losing out on what used to be goals when they get chopped off by VAR - instead what it is is we’re now getting to see what would’ve happened in all those passages of play that never existed because the whistle used to blow.  So nobody’s losing out on anything.

I hadn’t thought about it that way before.  It almost made me change my mind.

I love Rob but that's nonsense. PL referees don't have a directive to keep their flag down to the extent of European referees. Mount's and Aurier's goals at the weekend almost certainly wouldn't have been disallowed pre-VAR.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22038 on: September 24, 2019, 10:38:44 am »
I love Rob but that's nonsense. PL referees don't have a directive to keep their flag down to the extent of European referees. Mount's and Aurier's goals at the weekend almost certainly wouldn't have been disallowed pre-VAR.

I think we scored a similar one away at Southampton last season didn’t we? I think Mo was offside in the build up that ended with Keith scoring a couple of phases later. Sky we’re having a good whinge about it at the time as I recall!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22039 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:52 am »
I think we scored a similar one away at Southampton last season didn’t we? I think Mo was offside in the build up that ended with Keith scoring a couple of phases later. Sky we’re having a good whinge about it at the time as I recall!

Yup, although according to Sky, that goal wouldn't have been disallowed even with VAR, which kinda makes sense because there was a longer length of time and arguably an extra phase of play between the offside and goal compared to Chelsea's on Sunday.

But Rob's argument simply doesn't stand up: Trent was flagged for offside in the second half on what looked a tight call, so I'm not sure play is always continuing as he suggests. And there's a pretty slim chance that City's goal vs West Ham and Spurs' goal vs Leicester would've been disallowed last season. Any linesman flagging for those would be guessing.