Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1253144 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #13080 on: July 16, 2022, 11:47:27 pm »
Unfortunately not though he is doing a different series with Bobby zamora of all people. Due out any time soon.

I quite like the other two but yeah Ali seems like a laugh for sure

He's working for that kit manufacturer who advertises/sponsors Massive Carp.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13081 on: July 17, 2022, 09:43:15 pm »
Only Murders in the building season 2. Watched a few episodes of it today. FANTASTIC. Enjoyable, charming and funny.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #13082 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:04 pm »
Only Murders in the building season 2. Watched a few episodes of it today. FANTASTIC. Enjoyable, charming and funny.

Popped in to say this. Loving season 2 as I did the first, really good start. Just a proper fun watch isn't it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13083 on: July 18, 2022, 09:33:30 am »
Enjoyed the second season of James May: Our Man In Italy.

I'm an Italophile. I really enjoyed seeing him travelling through the countryside during the autumn months - the trees and colours were spectacular. Good bits on the culture, architecture and food interspersed with his usual style. Really liked the fact that he covered most of the country.

My only criticism would be the occasional Top Gear style overly scripted jokes which slipped in every so often. Stopped watching Top Gear years ago due to it and this show had a few of them although a lot of it was clearly off the cuff, good fun.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13084 on: July 18, 2022, 09:52:49 am »
The first two episodes of the new season of What We Do in the Shadows are out now. This still has me chuckling along, and usually a good laugh once or twice, which is pretty good going for me. Natasia Demetriou as Nadja is brilliantly demented.

Not seen the new episodes but Natasia is great in this in general. The whole cast is great.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13085 on: July 18, 2022, 09:54:48 am »
Popped in to say this. Loving season 2 as I did the first, really good start. Just a proper fun watch isn't it.
Absolutely fun. Marty's stories are a delight. Show hopefully gets more recognition as it's certainly worthy of it. Gomez, Martin and Short are a superb combination.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13086 on: July 23, 2022, 01:03:42 am »

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13087 on: July 23, 2022, 06:16:12 pm »
Not seen the new episodes but Natasia is great in this in general. The whole cast is great.

Just finished the first series.
It's bloody brilliant!

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13088 on: July 24, 2022, 11:24:31 am »
Shame it's the last series of See I always enjoyed the show.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/L2idzg4dBWU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/L2idzg4dBWU</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13089 on: July 24, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »
Finished From. Didn't disappoint whatsover. Quality from start to finish. It ended just as it started to reveal a few things about its world and presented new stuff. Hopfully it doesn't pull a "Lost" but it does seem like the writers do have a planned narrative by the way things were set up and paced throughout. It deserves its own thread.

i think that's a nice summary, having finally got around to finishing it.

tho i am still concerned going forward in that i dont think they have a road map (the opposite vibe of what you got about the storytelling), it came across to me, rather than really give us some season ending conclusion and we could unravel new layers in season 2, they just added some new shit that needs explaining - which is one of those red flags for me with this type of show.

If you take an example that does it right - stranger things, each season has a satisfying season's end cos it wraps up our understanding/storyline to that point with something really pertinent. it's one of the reasons why something like Supernatural (and before it Buffy) can keep its fans and last so long, complete in themselves seasons, while introducing new layers/story elements we can explore in the following season/s. Another example in recent years would be Westworld, totally nailed it in season 1 for what we needed to know while leaving full revelation, intrigue and storytelling still to be dealt with in subsequent seasons.

Spoiler
with stranger things by the end of season 1 we 'knew' what we were dealing with and how that related to our world (doesn't mean all questions are answered but the main ones up to that point etc). In From i am still none the wiser what the fuck is going on, what the monsters are and how it relates to our world. What did we finally learn about the monsters and their relationship to our world? That they live below ground by day where they have painted pictures on tunnel walls at some point. And a recently introduce ghostly figure of a boy appears benevolent rather than want to rip your guts out. Arguably this is the only thing we actually found out that has any real meaning to this point - the kid appears to be on 'our side'.

A cynic's point of view would be all they did was put in some new mysterious shit to give us more questions to deal with rather than answering any we had - the light, the spiders, the suggestion there are worse things than the monsters we're already aware of. The vibe i got wasn't they were revealing more of the road map just adding shit to push the storyline on without actually knowing at this point what this added shit really is. Eg what's going on with the sheriff's story to get beyond the woods (great character btw) - uhm, dont have an answer to that but throw in something mysterious to halt his progress for now. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we never find out what that light was (or it'll end up being some throwaway shit they feel compelled to throw in having now introduced it but wont really have any meaning overall).

If they'd gone the route of shows i've already mentioned we'd have a decent grasp/revelation what the monsters are and how they relate to our world and why this town appears to live outside of time/space as we know it. Doesn't answer all questions by any means, still dont know the origin of the monsters, how they get out of the town back to the real world, or any of the new shit they introduced in the finale, but we'd have had a nice round up of where we are to this point. I'm no wiser at all, we just have a few slim connections we didn't have earlier.

Now they may have a good road map, know exactly what they're doing (or at least enough to make for a compelling satisfying story that will be revealed in time), and subsequent seasons will be a blast of a journey, i really hope so and im rooting for it. And if this does prove to be the case, season 1 will have done a good job. However, at this point, i see those red flags i mentioned earlier as more indicative that they have built an interesting world they themselves have no clue about really and where and how to take it meaningfully forward is as yet unknown to them - something we've had before with shows of this ilk that ultimately didn't cut it.

So im not pissing on any chips here, i have hope for it and i agree a decent job for season 1 if they know what they're doing.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:01:07 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13090 on: July 24, 2022, 08:58:47 pm »
I tried From after recommendations on here and stopped after six episodes or so. I thought it was trash. Pointless dialogue for the whole episode and then last 5 minutes of action. Awful dislikeable characters. I probably shouldn't have watched it right after catching up on Better Call Saul though...
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13091 on: July 24, 2022, 10:14:49 pm »
Really enjoyed The Outlaws. Hope there's a series 3.
I don't think anyone has replied to this at all.
Sinner is correct, it's really enjoyable. If you want a light-hearted comedy drama with a couple of great characters and some brilliant lines don't hesitate.

I'm only a couple in to S2 and it's as good as S1, a bit of continuity in fact. It's absolutely worth a watch for anyone that like a bit of fun and isn't constantly over serious about their viewing.

Oh, and it's remiss of me to write two sentences about it without mentioning Christopher Walken. Fucking hell what a treat.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13092 on: July 24, 2022, 10:22:41 pm »
Really enjoyed The Outlaws. Hope there's a series 3.
Same. It's just good clean fun without worrying about whether it's highbrow or not.

Think that's it though?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13093 on: July 24, 2022, 10:26:47 pm »
Sinner is correct, it's really enjoyable. If you want a light-hearted comedy drama with a couple of great characters and some brilliant lines don't hesitate.

I'm only a couple in to S2 and it's as good as S1, a bit of continuity in fact. It's absolutely worth a watch for anyone that like a bit of fun and isn't constantly over serious about their viewing.

Oh, and it's remiss of me to write two sentences about it without mentioning Christopher Walken. Fucking hell what a treat.

Yep agreed about Christopher Walken. Same with Claes Bang.

I'd say series 2 is just a little better than series 1 as well, partly because there's no longer a need to introduce characters and they could immediately focus more on each characters' particular circumstances as well as get the plot moving a lot quicker.

Enjoy!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13094 on: July 24, 2022, 10:49:04 pm »

Yep agreed about Christopher Walken. Same with Claes Bang.

I'd say series 2 is just a little better than series 1 as well, partly because there's no longer a need to introduce characters and they could immediately focus more on each characters' particular circumstances as well as get the plot moving a lot quicker.

Enjoy!
Thought Diane was great ;D

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #13095 on: July 25, 2022, 08:02:22 pm »
I'm on the final episode of The Terror: Infamy on BBC iplayer....

It's a horror - 10 episodes- but it really is an interesting watch. Ridley Scott is involved too, story is good and it's set in 1940s.

The Japanese staying in America and their hardship is the setting...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13096 on: July 26, 2022, 08:26:42 pm »
i was going to watch that but when i fired it up it was in subtitles and at the time i couldn't be arsed with subs, so swerved it

so im assuming from what you've said it's not subtitles throughout?
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13097 on: July 26, 2022, 08:38:47 pm »

so im assuming from what you've said it's not subtitles throughout?

No.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13098 on: July 27, 2022, 06:47:00 am »
Does anyone know anything about The Sandman? Starts on netflix on August 5th. Neil Gaiman wrote the comics apparently and its a DC thing. Have never heard of it myself, only Sandman I know is the one Spiderman fights. Looks to be well anticipated.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13099 on: July 27, 2022, 12:46:55 pm »
Does anyone know anything about The Sandman? Starts on netflix on August 5th. Neil Gaiman wrote the comics apparently and its a DC thing. Have never heard of it myself, only Sandman I know is the one Spiderman fights. Looks to be well anticipated.

Potential sleeper hit...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13100 on: July 27, 2022, 10:43:02 pm »

I recall The Sandman was a very famous graphic novel decades ago, i dont know anything beyond that in the comic world and as i know i want to watch it, i haven't looked into it any further than knowing the graphic novel and that it is totally unrelated to spiderman

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13101 on: July 27, 2022, 11:51:15 pm »
I recall The Sandman was a very famous graphic novel decades ago, i dont know anything beyond that in the comic world and as i know i want to watch it, i haven't looked into it any further than knowing the graphic novel and that it is totally unrelated to spiderman

I have them both on audible,shall move them down the list until after the show.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13102 on: July 28, 2022, 05:58:07 am »
you have graphic novels on audible?

is that a 'thing'? i dont see the sense of that, i must be being dumb and misunderstanding something lol (sandman novels?)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:01:00 am by Armand9 »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13103 on: July 28, 2022, 03:55:42 pm »
Snowfall season 5 available to download via BBC now.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13104 on: July 28, 2022, 05:02:40 pm »
Snowfall season 5 available to download via BBC now.

And for the record, was pretty, pretty, pretty good...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13105 on: July 28, 2022, 06:48:18 pm »
From sucked absolute balls. It wishes it was Lost. That had great writing and great characters. Try naming any of the main people in this show. The acting was also brutal. I'm disappointed in myself for watching the whole thing.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13106 on: July 28, 2022, 07:06:52 pm »
you have graphic novels on audible?

is that a 'thing'? i dont see the sense of that, i must be being dumb and misunderstanding something lol (sandman novels?)

https://www.audible.co.uk/series/The-Sandman-Audiobooks/B09BDGVT2G

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13107 on: July 28, 2022, 08:15:26 pm »

There's some other good full cast dramatisations on there besides those, one that I would not include in that list would be the dramatisation of Unseen Academicals, it was so badly abridged from the original that it trashed characters and plots.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13108 on: July 28, 2022, 09:58:53 pm »
Not sure if I missed it earlier in the thread, but watched first episode of The Terminal List on Amazon with Chris Pratt and thought it was very good. Hope it keeps up.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13109 on: July 28, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »
There's some other good full cast dramatisations on there besides those, one that I would not include in that list would be the dramatisation of Unseen Academicals, it was so badly abridged from the original that it trashed characters and plots.

I hoover them up with the free trials,they usually offer at least 2 a year (6 to 8 credits per account).

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13110 on: July 29, 2022, 03:10:19 am »

"Just like the original graphic novels, this audio adaptation contains explicit language and graphic violence, as well as strong sexual content and themes"

thanks, i get it now

tho i cant imagine it without the graphics, my favourite graphic novel of all time is The Crow (actually it would be right up there at the top of any media, film, book, tv etc, for me, one of the best pieces of creative work ever) and tho i'm sure they could dramatise it, as they did with the movie, i'd rather just read the graphic novel again (tho i did watch the film, was doing ok but ultimately totally fucked it up cos hollywood doesn't have imagination beyond kryptonite, twats)

but anyway, each to their, never listened to an audiobook, so im clearly not the target audience
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:12:01 am by Armand9 »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13111 on: July 30, 2022, 08:53:48 am »
New series started on Prime "Paper Girls" their version of Stranger Things by the look of it but it's about Time Travel. I wlll give it a go.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/lDz0ioCV1TU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/lDz0ioCV1TU</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13112 on: July 31, 2022, 08:17:48 pm »
good choice of cover song for the trailer

i fear that may be the best it has to offer, however, i shall join you in giving it a go  :D

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13113 on: July 31, 2022, 10:03:12 pm »
Done with the Outlaws. Enjoyed it, more serious than I thought it initially would be, but good stuff. Can't really see a third season tho - they kinda wrapped it all up.

So.. now what to watch this last week..
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13114 on: August 1, 2022, 03:21:48 am »
paper girls - act 1 was ok, setting up the world, premise, characters etc, then act II for some reason devolves into some bullshit teen girl problems and an act III right at the end sets up a second season

which i wont be watching

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13115 on: August 2, 2022, 06:02:18 pm »
unless you’re a teenage girl, you’re probably outside their target audience!
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13116 on: August 2, 2022, 11:25:59 pm »
We’ve just finished watching “Under the Banner of Heaven”. It’s probably been mentioned on here already. Starring Andrew Garfield, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Gil Birmingham, Denise Gough, Sam Worthington, Wyatt Russell, a couple of others. I really enjoyed it and will definitely be reading the book. The use of flashbacks is a choice that a lot of people don’t like, but it’s probably necessary. I think it could have been an episode longer but definitely worth the watch.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13117 on: August 3, 2022, 08:09:09 am »
Done with the Terminal List. Thought it was mediocre, bordering on shite. Felt like a drawn out, run of the mill revenge flick from 25 years ago. Could probably have been a decent told story, but the combination of oversaturated machismo, weapons and tactical gear porn - combined with the saccharine flashbacks, made it, in my opinion, horribly average.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #13118 on: August 3, 2022, 11:23:01 pm »
I actually liked the Terminal list

Throwback to a simpler time of basic storyline that doesn't require a lot of thought when watching, combined with a lot of action and tactical gear porn  ;D

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13119 on: August 4, 2022, 12:37:52 am »
I actually liked the Terminal list

Throwback to a simpler time of basic storyline that doesn't require a lot of thought when watching, combined with a lot of action and tactical gear porn  ;D

;D
@Yvanicuzz