Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1258506 times)

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #13000 on: June 30, 2022, 07:53:19 pm »

Oh yeah. I hate Milchick!

Spoiler
Is Milchick the same as Cobel, so he's not severed?
Or is he severed, and only his Innie knows that Cobel is not severed?

Can someone be severed, and not know it, a little like Bernard in Westworld?
[close]
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13001 on: June 30, 2022, 10:44:09 pm »
Bortus singing YNWA
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13002 on: July 1, 2022, 06:36:53 am »
Sky are advertising Paramount shows in their boxsets, then when you try to download it says you have to upgrade.
I was disappointed as theres one on there called The Man Who Fell to Earth which has pretty good write ups. Halo is on their also.

Watched The Essex Serpent recently and was a bit disappointed, its not bad just a bit different to what the title suggests. Overall have been very impressed with everything Apple have done - apart from Schmigadoon  :)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13003 on: July 1, 2022, 07:30:42 am »
Thought Sherwood was excellent. Didn’t end up being about what it initially seemed and without wanting to give too much away it spoke to the damage done both in the past and now by division within communities. Some brilliant performances by a top cast as well

Agree - it was one of the best things I've watched this year.

Spoiler
only thing that let it down was the daft way that 'Keats' got exposed. Seemed a bit laughable that part.
[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13004 on: July 1, 2022, 11:31:21 am »
Don't know what it is as I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me of the show from the late 60's called "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan.

Great shout. I had previously described it as "Lost meets Black Mirror" but it definitely has vibes of The Prisoner, which was a show about 40 years ahead of its time.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #13005 on: July 1, 2022, 11:46:18 am »
The Old Man, The Boys, For All Mankind and Alone.

Fridays is good eating! 

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13006 on: July 1, 2022, 11:48:52 am »
Great shout. I had previously described it as "Lost meets Black Mirror" but it definitely has vibes of The Prisoner, which was a show about 40 years ahead of its time.

I think its down to a really sinister undercurrent running through the premise of each of the shows.

An unknown menace, so to speak.

If I remember correctly, McGoohan's character escaped at the end of every episode only to find himself back in the same hell.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13007 on: July 1, 2022, 12:00:41 pm »

If I remember correctly, McGoohan's character escaped at the end of every episode only to find himself back in the same hell.

Manchester?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13008 on: July 1, 2022, 12:05:56 pm »
Manchester?

Rob is not a number, he's a free man!!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13009 on: July 1, 2022, 12:07:01 pm »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #13010 on: July 1, 2022, 12:59:49 pm »
Just finished watching Sherwood, what a brilliantly written and acted show. It kept me guessing to the end, intrigued to see where they take it further.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13011 on: July 1, 2022, 01:29:57 pm »
Finished that C4 8-parter "Suspect" last night.  Despite quite a good cast and a decent opening episode, it quickly nosedived, but I had to see it through.

James "I support MUFC don't cha know" Nesbitt, won't be winning any Oscars anytime soon.

Starting 'Sherwood' tonight and judging by the reviews on here its gonna be a good one.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13012 on: July 1, 2022, 04:15:04 pm »
Thought Sherwood was excellent, some stellar performances, really gritty stuff.  Only thing that bugged me (and a few others I assume) was:

Spoiler
The killer just being all 'lol I dunno whatever' regarding all the other arrows that were shot by him at people who were key to the stories told.  Think it's bad form to swerve viewers like that and just wasn't necessary.  I get that in the end it wasn't really about him, but about communities and history, but it felt a little cheap for me.
[close]
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #13013 on: July 1, 2022, 04:15:57 pm »

One thing I hate is the overuse of 'tilt shift' for nearly every landscape still shot.
Did my head in as well. Should be used once a show maximum, like you are looking at a model of a townscape or model railway scenery.

Seems like there's suddenly a flood of Whitehouse/President shows cropped up, or maybe the Netflix algorithm shows me other things like I am watching right now.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #13014 on: July 1, 2022, 04:44:41 pm »
Thought Sherwood was excellent, some stellar performances, really gritty stuff.  Only thing that bugged me (and a few others I assume) was:

Spoiler
The killer just being all 'lol I dunno whatever' regarding all the other arrows that were shot by him at people who were key to the stories told.  Think it's bad form to swerve viewers like that and just wasn't necessary.  I get that in the end it wasn't really about him, but about communities and history, but it felt a little cheap for me.
[close]

Spoiler
I know what you mean, but I think the killer wasn’t the smartest and also came across as disaffected stating he was being put away for the benefits fraud because he didn’t realise he couldn’t claim because of the savings. I got the impression he felt there were not opportunities for him, nothing to live for kind of thing so he did something to get noticed. He’d obviously had to live with all the fighting between the families and his dad didn’t seem to be much of a father. Might just be how I’m viewing it but you do get people like that.
[close]
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13015 on: July 2, 2022, 02:27:17 pm »
Terminal list on Amazon Prime.

Written by an ex US navy seal officer. Telegraph slated it saying it was rubbish. I’m on episode 3. It’s a slow burner that draws you in. It has an odd story line that mixes what may and may not be real.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13016 on: July 2, 2022, 03:19:59 pm »
The Old Man, The Boys, For All Mankind and Alone.

Fridays is good eating! 

Alone is excellent, they seem to be hunting a lot more this year than previous but probably depends on the location.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #13017 on: July 2, 2022, 05:55:51 pm »
What were peoples thoughts on Man vs Bee? Can’t make my mind up on whether it was abysmal or weirdly sweet and endearing.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #13018 on: July 2, 2022, 07:46:03 pm »
Alone is excellent, they seem to be hunting a lot more this year than previous but probably depends on the location.

Only got into it recently but have already binged most of it, can't get enough, chill yet highly compelling.

Some real snipers this season, that weasel kill was nuts!  :o

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13019 on: July 3, 2022, 08:13:55 am »
A couple of episodes into Chris Pratt new TV The Terminal list enjoying it so far a lot darker than I thought it would be.

About someone using the tactics he learnt in special ops to uncover a governmen/army cover up or is it all in his head.?
« Last Edit: July 3, 2022, 08:19:25 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #13020 on: July 3, 2022, 11:52:46 am »
A couple of episodes into Chris Pratt new TV The Terminal list enjoying it so far a lot darker than I thought it would be.

About someone using the tactics he learnt in special ops to uncover a governmen/army cover up or is it all in his head.?

Tim Riggins has aged well...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #13021 on: July 3, 2022, 11:21:07 pm »

just finished it today

pretty much binge watched it. holiday day weekend here due to some event in US history a while ago

really enjoyed it, it is a bit slow in parts, but then again its 8 hours of TV, so it should be. The extra time allows you to really get into the lead characters head. I heard an interview with the writer on a podcast and he was a pretty interesting guy.

Offline Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13022 on: July 4, 2022, 07:54:30 am »

Managed to binge through 'We Own This City' over the weekend. Sensational piece of television and a very sad indictment on how some cities are policed and run.
Same. I didnt realise it was based on a true story until episode 3. Great series though. HBO never seem to show bad TV.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2022, 07:56:28 am by Razors Razor »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13023 on: July 4, 2022, 10:01:00 am »
Me and the missus binged watched the last 4 episodes of 'Sherwood' last night.  Great Sunday evening viewing.

Pretty stellar UK drama cast to be fair.  So many times we had to pause it and try and remember what we had seen each actor appear in before.  There were at least 2 husbands of Corrie's Eileen Grimshaw in it :)

Great to see Christopher Fairbank make a brief but sublime appearance.

Thought Adeel Akhtar as Adam Fisher was good too.  Remember him from Utopia. He was bloody great in that too.

The monologue from the solicitor who was representing the NUM was very poignant.  Good to see the writers acknowledging Hillsborough as one of the many police failings over the last 4 or 5 decades.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13024 on: July 4, 2022, 10:56:45 am »

Spoiler
[close]

This is the main reason I thought this show was disappointing.

Spoiler
Basically it ends up being a series of unconnected stories which, whilst being more realistic, is boring TV.

Killer out there shooting at loads of victims? Ends up all being unconnected. He's basically annoyed at the fact that he has no prospects and hated Gary for what he did to his Dad over the years.

Undercover copper spent years living amongst the community? No impact to anything at the end.

Kids from feuding families hook up? Not relevant to anything.

Tory councillor killed by father-in-law who was also seemingly targeted by the shooter? Not linked.

Just thought the premise of the whole show was  summarised by Leslie Manville's speech at the end: "We end up defining ourselves by what we used to be". Just watch this bit and save yourself the bother of the rest.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 4, 2022, 11:07:51 am by .adam »

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13025 on: July 4, 2022, 01:45:41 pm »
Finished Slow Horses over these last two days. Thanks to you all who mentioned and recommended it. Thought the first 3 episodes were the best, but still good stuff.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13026 on: July 4, 2022, 03:33:41 pm »
Got the house to myself later for an hour or so.

I am so excited to watch the season finale of 'Severance' and see how it wraps up.

Absolutely brilliant show.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #13027 on: July 4, 2022, 03:42:31 pm »
Got the house to myself later for an hour or so.

I am so excited to watch the season finale of 'Severance' and see how it wraps up.

Absolutely brilliant show.

I doubt you will be disappointed, the finale is a cracking episode

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13028 on: July 4, 2022, 03:43:20 pm »
Yeah one of the best finales I've seen in a long time to be honest.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13029 on: July 4, 2022, 04:21:19 pm »
aww lads. Now I am REALLY excited! :)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13030 on: July 4, 2022, 08:39:02 pm »
The Terminal list is getting better and better episode 5 is brilliant

Will have to binge watch the last 3 tonight now

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13031 on: July 4, 2022, 10:24:27 pm »
The Terminal list is getting better and better episode 5 is brilliant

Will have to binge watch the last 3 tonight now

Hmm.. will have to add this one then.

Just started The Responder, only one episode in. Too early to tell.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13032 on: July 4, 2022, 11:24:14 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

It was based on a true story, and that’s similar to what happened. The guy in real life was suffering from paranoia and thought the victim was literally taking the bricks off his house. The police et al had always thought there’d been some deeper link to the history of conflict between the miners, police and scabs. But it was just some bloke who went a bit mad.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13033 on: July 4, 2022, 11:26:06 pm »
This is the main reason I thought this show was disappointing.

Spoiler
Basically it ends up being a series of unconnected stories which, whilst being more realistic, is boring TV.

Killer out there shooting at loads of victims? Ends up all being unconnected. He's basically annoyed at the fact that he has no prospects and hated Gary for what he did to his Dad over the years.

Undercover copper spent years living amongst the community? No impact to anything at the end.

Kids from feuding families hook up? Not relevant to anything.

Tory councillor killed by father-in-law who was also seemingly targeted by the shooter? Not linked.

Just thought the premise of the whole show was  summarised by Leslie Manville's speech at the end: "We end up defining ourselves by what we used to be". Just watch this bit and save yourself the bother of the rest.
[close]

Spoiler
They were all unconnected because that’s how it turned out in the real life story they based it on. There was no conspiracy.
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13034 on: July 4, 2022, 11:26:50 pm »
Yeah one of the best finales I've seen in a long time to be honest.

Nerve shredding stuff but only 40 minutes for the finale!   Bit annoying that runtime but still so good

New series was only greenlighted a few months back so gonna be at least a year I reckon :(

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #13035 on: July 5, 2022, 09:49:36 am »
American Rust

I'd seen it described as "misery porn" before watching but my God...
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13036 on: July 5, 2022, 11:38:42 am »
Spoiler
They were all unconnected because that’s how it turned out in the real life story they based it on. There was no conspiracy.
[close]

Spoiler
I don't doubt that was the case. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make a particularly enjoyable TV show if this is how it turns out.
[close]

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13037 on: July 5, 2022, 11:40:15 am »
Hmm.. will have to add this one then.

Just started The Responder, only one episode in. Too early to tell.

It's good but Freeman don't do dee accent dat good doe.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13038 on: July 5, 2022, 01:45:30 pm »
Finished The Terminal list last night. I enjoyed the show OK one or two of the twists were easy to work out.

But I liked how dark the show was almost like a version of the Punisher

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13039 on: July 5, 2022, 01:57:42 pm »
Spoiler
I don't doubt that was the case. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make a particularly enjoyable TV show if this is how it turns out.
[close]

Spoiler
I disagree. It was a good example of how rumours and conspiracies create their own narrative despite the truth usually being much simpler. all those skeletons were dragged out of cupboards, old emotional wounds cut open again and people were questioning themselves and each other.

All that happened despite there being no link to the murder, so whatever reasons he gave changed nothing about what had already happened.

There was still a conspiracy unearthed (spy cops) during the hunt for the killer.

[close]