Author Topic: Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel Partnership  (Read 351789 times)

Offline mmj

• Main Stander
Re: Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel Partnership
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »
In light of reading the Poulsen thread and Kenny asking us to support the players, any chance we can spread the love in to our defence and in particular Skrtel?

Yes, it's been shaky as fuck to watch but it's getting better. There's really nothing to gain by slagging the lad off and it looks like Skrtel and Agger are going to be permanent fixtures at least till Carra gets back.

I still think that with better management and a stable back line (i.e. not changing one or two of the four every game) it can perform much better than what we think.

Perhaps I'm just sick of only reading posts going on that he's 100% shite and we should sell him ASAP, when reality is that he's definately going to one of our first choice defenders in the short term.

Amen to that, brother!
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #121 on: February 6, 2011, 06:16:08 pm »
4 games, 4 clean sheets.

Carragher was there today yes, but our defence has been getting a little better every game. Keep it up.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #122 on: April 2, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
Coming back to this again...I need to stick by it. How long was it until Agger went off injured...again. We must cut our losses on him. Dont get me wrong, I really do rate the lad, but you cant spend a week at training, have routines for and against sorted, for one of you're centre backs to go off injured. Its a shame, but all Im seeing with him is Woodgate. As I say, Agger is a great player, good passer, but injury prone.

Skirts...Seams to get bullied in the air to easily for me. Feels he has to go and win EVERY ball, were at times you just need to show the player,

Going to be a interesting summer. Will we buy any CB's? Will Kelly be player there next season and or Wilson, or one of the young lads.......time will tell.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #123 on: April 2, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
Coming back to this again...I need to stick by it. How long was it until Agger went off injured...again. We must cut our losses on him. Dont get me wrong, I really do rate the lad, but you cant spend a week at training, have routines for and against sorted, for one of you're centre backs to go off injured. Its a shame, but all Im seeing with him is Woodgate. As I say, Agger is a great player, good passer, but injury prone.

Skirts...Seams to get bullied in the air to easily for me. Feels he has to go and win EVERY ball, were at times you just need to show the player,

Going to be a interesting summer. Will we buy any CB's? Will Kelly be player there next season and or Wilson, or one of the young lads.......time will tell.

Skrtel's improved that area massively in the last couple of months. Since Agger got that back injury in 2007, its been like his body is giving up on him one muscle at a time.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #124 on: April 2, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »
Skrtel's improved that area massively in the last couple of months. Since Agger got that back injury in 2007, its been like his body is giving up on him one muscle at a time.
Which area mate? The being bullied in the air, or diving into every ball?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 2, 2011, 06:01:35 pm »
We just need another ball playing CB.  We should have two anyway.  Agger is injury prone, and at one point a long time ago, I thought we might want to sell.  But when he goes off injured and we play like shit, that really isn't his problem.  It's the fact that noone is good enough to do his job.  That's the problem for me. 

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #126 on: April 2, 2011, 06:06:25 pm »
Which area mate? The being bullied in the air, or diving into every ball?

Both, particularly the being bullied in the air bit.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #127 on: April 2, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
Both, particularly the being bullied in the air bit.
Really? Shit, I must be watching a different player to you then.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #128 on: April 2, 2011, 06:10:23 pm »
Really? Shit, I must be watching a different player to you then.

Don't get me wrong, he's not exactly Hyypia in the air, but he's a lot better than he was even 3 or 4 months ago.

Offline dr.dracco

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: April 2, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »

Don't get me wrong, he's not exactly Hyypia in the air, but he's a lot better than he was even 3 or 4 months ago.
He wins majority of headers in recent weeks, there have been games where he didnīt lost a single one.

He actually attacks the ball instead of player, that is probably the key.

The partnership would work especially with Martin back in form and with confidence, but itīs shame that Agger is never fit.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 3, 2011, 07:05:41 am »
Its a pity that our best CB, potentially one of the best ball-playing CB's in European football, is made of - I would say glass but I might
have to say - sand.

Skrtel plays really very well with Agger. His hoofing almost completely disappears. Agger displays cool calmness at the back which then
spreads through the defense. We need at least two more ball playing centre backs in a similar vein to Agger. 

Our centre midfield is not that bad when the ball ACTUALLY gets played to them, not by-passed.

Oh well roll on summer time.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »
Spotless, the pair of them tonight. May not have been at CB, but oh well :P

Coates was great as well, but like Carragher these days he gets punished for the odd mistake

Offline Ben86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:16 pm »
Both were fantastic today. Coates did well apart from that one slip, which unfortunately got punished. Still, good signs.

Offline spinaltapped

• Flesh tuxedo?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Rico Suavez
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
Thought that Skrtel and Coates played great together. The second half defense looked so much more solid and together. Would like to see Agger and Coates trading off playing with Skrtel.

Offline Scribble8

• Bad WUM. Nu hållar sin käft, jävla wumjävel......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »
I still think Carra-Agger is our best CB pairing but Skrtel certainly looks improved and Coates impressed besides his misstake.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »
Spotless, the pair of them tonight. May not have been at CB, but oh well :P

Coates was great as well, but like Carragher these days he gets punished for the odd mistake

Our defenders usually get punished for making the odd mistake, because we play so deep and hence have no time to make up for it.

Offline Howard1234

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »
Coates and Skrtel partnership looks great

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »
Carra cannot start against West Brom.

Offline dr.dracco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2011, 08:16:13 pm »
Seems to be working..... No Carra and clan sheet.

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2011, 08:24:06 pm »
Indeed. West Brow were dire though but we need to defo drop Carragher. Not playing well and we leak goals when he plays.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »
Skrtel was my man of the match today.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Wembley 78

• Anny Roader
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
I think they need a few more games together to built something special.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »
Skrtel was my man of the match today.

same here, he was awesome. flawless performance from him today.

now that i think of it he played that risky short pass to suarez in our penalty area when i would've preferred him to just boot it, but that's all i can think of.

if carra is put straight back into the team after these two helped keep a clean sheet it would be absolutely criminal.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »
Quality partnership from when they have played together.

Both were excellent today and I wouldn't be able to separate their performance.

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »
"I think I like it"

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
if carra is put straight back into the team after these two helped keep a clean sheet it would be absolutely criminal.

I'm still a little worried that he will be.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

He will be and it's a bloody travesty.  He's been our worst defender - the stats don't lie.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
how long is carra meant to be out for

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »
as am i..

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
Exactly how I feel mate, they looked composed and really solid. I reckon he will walk back in though, undeservedly so as well.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2011, 09:33:20 pm »
how long is carra meant to be out for
Should be fit for next week apparently.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »
Solid as a rock today.  Looking forward to seeing how they develop in Carra's absence.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:02 pm »
Tend to agree, esp for the next game which is home to Swansea.  However wouldn't write him off just yet.  Defence wasn't put under much pressure today and after Swansea we have games where Carra in previous seasons has been excellent in.  I.e. away to Chelsea.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »
I would have no problem if Skrtel and Agger start against Swansea.

Carra against Chelsea might be OK seeing as Drogba won't be playing (I think - last match of his suspension) :D

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
Agger was excellent today as expected...but Skrtel..where to start.  I think that was his best performance in about a year and what's more, he stepped up and organised our defense in the absence of Carra...it was like he came out of his shell and took responsibility and that was the most interesting part for me.

I hope we see more of them playing together in the near future.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2011, 09:44:38 pm »
It is now 290 Days since we have conceded a goal with Agger and Skrtel as centre backs. DJ Cambpell's goal away to Blackpool was the last time we conceded with Skrtel and Agger as Centre backs.

That's the last twenty four minutes of the Blackpool game, That's the first 48 minutes of last seasons Derby until Agger went off due to a bout of sickness, that's 97 minutes against Wolves, 98 minutes against Fulham, 96 minutes against Stoke, 98 minutes against Chelsea plus today's game.

We are coming up to nine hours of football without a defence with Agger and Skrtel as centre backs being breached. With Agger and Skrtel as centre backs we look absolutely rock solid without we look as watertight as a sieve.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »
Agger was excellent today as expected...but Skrtel..where to start.  I think that was his best performance in about a year and what's more, he stepped up and organised our defense in the absence of Carra...it was like he came out of his shell and took responsibility and that was the most interesting part for me.

I hope we see more of them playing together in the near future.

Think Skrtel was just as good as he has been for a while now, i.e. pretty fucking good.

Was hoping we'd defend a bit higher today, wasn't really the case though.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:32 pm »
I hate the way any endorsement of this partnership blossoming is seen as some sort of slight on Jamie Carragher. It's becoming unhealthy.

I love Jamie. He's given his all week-in-week-out for over a decade. Internet hearsay aside, Carragher has always been desperate for this club to become a success. He's effectively pushed his own body beyond its means to atone for his restrictions. I've never heard him try and claim to be 'Beckenbauer' as some fans callously and ironically compare him to. I'm willing to bet that if you sat down over a pint with him, he'd readily admit that the technical side of his game isn't up to the necessary requirements.

The fact of the matter is, teams always evolve. People will be cast aside. We've done it for years. Ron Yeats, Emlyn Hughes, Phil Thompson. Carragher isn't of the same class as any of them, but his determination has forced his name among them. He's a European Cup winner. He's consistently been one of our best players for the greatest part of seven years and before that he was a crucial component in Gerard Houllier's treble winning team, playing in a position alien to him. Why do fans feel the need to castigate him?

As it stands, we need to use today as a springboard. Skrtel was magnificent today and our defence looked as solid as it has done all season. Admittedly West Brom weren't really at the races and rarely tested us, but our dominance of possession was a big part of that and our central defence led by example on that front. Seeing Lucas and Adam popping the ball about with them was wonderful. That quartet looked very assured. Right through the team we had proper footballers in almost every position (Carroll has question marks over him in this regard, but he was effective today). I guess I'm a purist at heart, but I also don't like to see a lad who we've all rightly loved over the years be sneered at. He'll still play a part this season, but it is definitely time to start fazing him out. It's happened to better players than him in the past and it will happen to better players than him in the future.

Offline Red Emperor

• Kopite
  • Always tries to see the upside
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »
Thought they both did well tonight although the west brom strikers where very poor im sure sterner tests are to come but for now very promising

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »
Were both quality today, Skrtel especially. Should definitely be 1st choice pairing.