Author Topic: The Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett memorial thread.  (Read 924171 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
Re: Summer transfer thread general L'pool discussion: Part IV
« Reply #1840 on: June 2, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
If two are off, then we are signing another striker. Considering the number of matches next season, injury risks due to your strenuous play style etc. etc. , we are definitely keeping 4 strikers.

Do you honestly think Klopp will start the Season with that 5?

In other news is Rafhina a Kieta replacement?
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1841 on: June 2, 2017, 07:32:21 PM »
There's no "romance" in professional sports. Especially football. Especially in England.
'Romance' is there; for the fans. For 'most' of the players & coaches it is a profession. For every owner, it is a business.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1842 on: June 2, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
Do you honestly think Klopp will start the Season with that 5?

In other news is Rafhina a Kieta replacement?
Can't say for Klopp, but I would be ok with those 5. Assuming, Ings and Sturridge are fit for most of the season.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #1843 on: June 2, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
'Romance' is there; for the fans. For 'most' of the players & coaches it is a profession. For every owner, it is a business.

Yep. Kloppo's a football romatic, but he's also of course highly professional, and at the top of his game, but it doesn't mean you can't have a bit of that romanticism in there even at the very top level!
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1844 on: June 2, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
Yep, i've said 6 players all along inc; LB, CB, CM/CDM, AM/WING x2 & a CF.
I think this is probably spot on. We know three of the targets; van dijk, keita and salah. I'd expect the other wide man to be a younger player to supplement the squad. Someone like Gray who'd qualify for a homegrown place and would be available quite cheaply. Centre forward and left back links are limited so unsure who we're targeting there. Of the strikers we currently have, ings may well go on loan and sturridge's future is in the air. Both are injured frequently and can't be relied on to play a run of games. That would leave us firmino, origi and solankie, meaning we'd surely be after another.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1845 on: June 2, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
Yep. Kloppo's a football romatic, but he's also of course highly professional, and at the top of his game, but it doesn't mean you can't have a bit of that romanticism in there even at the very top level!
Exactly! For me, as a fan, if there is no romance in football then I am done. Football for me, as I would think for a lot of fans, is an escape from the drudgery of the real world. And in my cocoon of fantasy, I like to think that Klopp is just like us, one of us.  ;)

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
« Reply #1846 on: June 2, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
With all the inflation it's hard nit to see value in Mahrez for 40mil. His stats for the title winning season were fantastic and this year in a struggling Leicester side they were still good.

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #1847 on: June 2, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »
With all the inflation it's hard nit to see value in Mahrez for 40mil. His stats for the title winning season were fantastic and this year in a struggling Leicester side they were still good.

Mate, I agree that Mahrez is a very good player, but he is not what we need. Salah is a much better fit for Klopp's setup.

Offline hugoboss

• Believer
  • Lightning Frightning!!!
« Reply #1848 on: June 2, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
It looks quite likely that we are bringing in another left back, centre back, midfielder and winger this transfer window. I know we have signed Solanke but we could probably do with another attacker.

We already have 4 center forward, I feel we would need to sell one of Sturridge or Ings to justify buying yet another striker

Prandelli: "I prefer to concede a goal on the counter-attack rather than sit, wait and suffer for 20 minutes."

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #1849 on: June 2, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
Can't say for Klopp, but I would be ok with those 5. Assuming, Ings and Sturridge are fit for most of the season.

Their lies the probelem you see.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #1850 on: June 2, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »
I think this is probably spot on. We know three of the targets; van dijk, keita and salah. I'd expect the other wide man to be a younger player to supplement the squad. Someone like Gray who'd qualify for a homegrown place and would be available quite cheaply. Centre forward and left back links are limited so unsure who we're targeting there. Of the strikers we currently have, ings may well go on loan and sturridge's future is in the air. Both are injured frequently and can't be relied on to play a run of games. That would leave us firmino, origi and solankie, meaning we'd surely be after another.

Exactly.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1851 on: June 2, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
Even if we sold Danny Ings, which I really don't think we're going to, what calibre of centre forward would anyone think we would realistically replace him with?

It's a bit like the left-back argument in that we heard the same things last year; "we can't rely on Sturridge and Ings so we've got to get another striker."  We didn't and I really don't see why things would be different now, particularly as we look close to adding more goals to what we already have by signing Salah.  The only way I see us contemplating signing another striker is if Sturridge goes and I'm struggling to see a realistic move away out there for him.

I like Ings a lot and think he's got a part to play here but even if he did go, given the minutes he's played for us I'm not sure that we'd need or even look to replace him given the options we already have with Solanke and Brewster in reserve. 

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #1852 on: June 2, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »
to be honest Ings and Sturridge have cost us more in Doctors bills than wages in the last two years and if anyone thinks both will stay well I just give up.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1853 on: June 2, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
to be honest Ings and Sturridge have cost us more in Doctors bills than wages in the last two years and if anyone thinks both will stay well I just give up.

And there was me thinking it wasn't worth keeping both....
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1854 on: June 2, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
You might as well give up then as I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all that either one or both are going anywhere.

And if Ings goes, I really don't think there's a pressing need for us to replace him given he's made a handful of appearances in his two seasons at the club.  He's fourth choice in the pecking order as things stand and we've now got two of the brightest young strikers in the country at the club so with the options we've already got, plus Salah hopefully about to add to them, I think we could get by without signing a direct replacement for him.  That said, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1855 on: June 2, 2017, 11:12:17 PM »
In my opinion, you are partially right. As in, I don't think money offered is the only thing we are falling short on. Of course, that is the case, but an equally big contributing factor is the fact that we haven't really been very successful in the recent times.
For any, especially young players, City or Chelsea can easily be the more attractive destination even at same price levels.

As wige mentioned earlier, to be an attractive destination for the top talent we need to consistently challenge for the league and in Europe. As things stand now, our average position in last 7-8 years has been around 5th-6th and forget competing, we have been struggling to just get into CL.

How did Chelsea and city become more attractive and successful? By spending shitloads of money!!

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1856 on: June 2, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »
No allegations that may bring the site into legal trouble please.
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline slotmachine

• Kopite
« Reply #1857 on: June 2, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
so if we sign our top 3 targets VVD, Keita and Salah that's gonna be the best part of 130 to 140 million. then we need a left back and another winger and maybe another striker. the leaks in the last month about the reds spending maybe 150 to 200 million look to be on the money. with the low net spend last summer and the shitty january window and with potential champions league prize money and tv money im not at all surprised.

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1858 on: June 2, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »
Sturridge, Firmino, Origi, Ings, Solanke.

Not sure we need another. I think 5 might just be enough. And you'd hope given their ages and talent that Firmino and Origi will be better next season. Sturridge and Ings might even stay fit.

Hahaha!

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #1859 on: June 2, 2017, 11:52:10 PM »
And there was me thinking it wasn't worth keeping both....

You should stop thinking so. Honestly would you keep both with the injury records over the last two years?

Offline Kochevnik

• Believer
« Reply #1860 on: June 2, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
so if we sign our top 3 targets VVD, Keita and Salah that's gonna be the best part of 130 to 140 million. then we need a left back and another winger and maybe another striker. the leaks in the last month about the reds spending maybe 150 to 200 million look to be on the money. with the low net spend last summer and the shitty january window and with potential champions league prize money and tv money im not at all surprised.

I'll be totally honest, if we get VVD, Keita, and Salah I won't really care who else we get.  Those three in and of themselves make this a BRILLIANT summer if we can pull it off.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Believer
« Reply #1861 on: June 3, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
What are peoples' thoughts on Kieran Gibbs as a LB option?

Seems Arsenal are willing to sell.

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #1862 on: June 3, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »

I'd prefer to keep Moreno.

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #1863 on: June 3, 2017, 12:21:07 AM »

No thankyou. He is incredibly average.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1864 on: June 3, 2017, 12:31:04 AM »
so if we sign our top 3 targets VVD, Keita and Salah

We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #1865 on: June 3, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Believer
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #1866 on: June 3, 2017, 12:52:00 AM »

Ok you're on. I'll eat my asshat if we don't sign at least one of them.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1867 on: June 3, 2017, 01:14:06 AM »
Ok you're on. I'll eat my asshat if we don't sign at least one of them.

What am I letting myself in for. We'll sign Salah. My exposed arse is for signing either VVD or Keita. If one of them two sign, the cheeks are making an appearance.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Believer
  • In a squeeze play on the cheesy side of town
« Reply #1868 on: June 3, 2017, 01:14:22 AM »
Anyone know why we are odds on to sign Clichy?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Anfield89

• Believer
« Reply #1869 on: June 3, 2017, 01:15:39 AM »

We need a left back, he is free.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1870 on: June 3, 2017, 01:20:56 AM »

Didn't that get dismissed as a non starter by the echo a few days back?  City fan in work said he is disappointed that Clichy is leaving.

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #1871 on: June 3, 2017, 01:28:02 AM »
Barcelona to allow Rafinha exit for €30m

The 2018 World Cup is to be one of the key factors in the upcoming summer transfer market with Barcelona midfielder Rafinha aware of how he'll likely need first-team football to make the Brazil squad.

At this point Liverpool, Juventus and Roma have all enquired about the 24-year-old's availability but nothing concrete has arrived and the man himself is hesitant to push for a departure.

For the Blaugrana, a fee of 30 million euros would be acceptable and the board are ready to cash in on the La Masia product to ensure fresh funds for new signings as Ernesto Valverde takes charge.

It's a meeting with the coach that could tip the balance of Rafinha's future with the player set to discuss Valverde's plans for him in the coming days.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/06/02/5931a584e2704e93148b457e.html

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1872 on: June 3, 2017, 01:32:40 AM »
Are you posting that because we are really interested or because he'd be a good fit?

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #1873 on: June 3, 2017, 01:36:04 AM »
Are you posting that because we are really interested or because he'd be a good fit?

I assume that he is one of our backup targets. Very talented player.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Believer
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1874 on: June 3, 2017, 03:49:58 AM »
http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/06/02/5931a584e2704e93148b457e.html

Given how dumb they've been with transfers of late (letting Thiago be in a position where he could walk for 24 million Euros, letting Fabregas go), this would be the height of stupidity from them.

Would take him over Keita/anyone else. Absolute top draw talent in the kid. Him, Coutinho and Lallana would literally run rings around any midfield.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Believer
« Reply #1875 on: June 3, 2017, 04:20:16 AM »
I see rumblings that Juventus wants Emre. I don't like this at all.
Keep Emre. He is good.
Champions of Europe!

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Believer
« Reply #1876 on: June 3, 2017, 04:37:42 AM »
If we are priced out of Van Djik, why not look at some of Roma's CBs while we are getting Salah. Rudiger is quick and can play the ball well. Manolas is better in the air and solid defender.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Believer
« Reply #1877 on: June 3, 2017, 04:59:01 AM »
I think Manolas is a good buy. We can get him too.
We really should consider him.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 05:04:38 AM by Carra-ton »
Champions of Europe!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Internet Philantropist Lvl 1
« Reply #1878 on: June 3, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »

I bet you do that every weekend anyway.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #1879 on: June 3, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
Where does Rafinha play?

Can't say I've seen much of him, and cant really remember how he played when I have, but he plays for Barca and is called Rafinha so pretty sure he must be good.
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.