Author Topic: The King's Speech: His conferences and interviews here  (Read 498291 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Re: The King's Speech: His conferences and interviews here
« Reply #680 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:35 am »
Kenny really despises Vinny O'Connor doesn't he?

Nah, I dont think its in his nature to despise him. I think he enjoys taking the piss out of him though.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #681 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:25 am »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "the most important players are the fit ones" comment... Seems like the kind of comment Roy would've been castigated for.  And it annoys me a little how Kenny seems to get really defensive whenever someone brings up a transfer rumour.  Obviously journo's are going to ask questions like that, and personally I think questions like "has Carroll mentioned he'd like to play against Sunderland?" or "have there been talks with Aquilani about his future?" are pretty reasonable and don't really deserve the attitude...

There's probably more to it then what I see in the conferences....  And to be fair, for the most part he's great to watch, especially when considering what came before...

I still miss Rafa's wit though, which was so under-rated. *waits for barrage of let Rafa go/ Kenny is perfect comments*
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:58 am »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "the most important players are the fit ones" comment... Seems like the kind of comment Roy would've been castigated for.
The opposite. Roy was all about excuses and making a clear distinction between the first team players and the rest. Kenny is simply bigging-up those who are fit and saying there is no point talking about the injured ones.

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: April 10, 2011, 08:56:33 am »
The opposite. Roy was all about excuses and making a clear distinction between the first team players and the rest. Kenny is simply bigging-up those who are fit and saying there is no point talking about the injured ones.
Something about it when he said it rubbed me the wrong way I guess, but when you put it that way, I see where he was coming from.  I guess I was just thinking that if I was Stevie, Danny, Glen, etc I wouldn't appreciate that kind of comment.

Something like, "it is a blow having injuries, but we have other good players to fill in and we should focus on them".  Effectively saying the same thing, but wouldn't be interpreted the wrong way...

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #684 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:17 am »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "the most important players are the fit ones" comment...

Lucky the internet wasn't around in shanks day then, he wouldn't even talk to injured players
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:30 am »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the "the most important players are the fit ones" comment... Seems like the kind of comment Roy would've been castigated for.  And it annoys me a little how Kenny seems to get really defensive whenever someone brings up a transfer rumour.  Obviously journo's are going to ask questions like that, and personally I think questions like "has Carroll mentioned he'd like to play against Sunderland?" or "have there been talks with Aquilani about his future?" are pretty reasonable and don't really deserve the attitude...

There's probably more to it then what I see in the conferences....  And to be fair, for the most part he's great to watch, especially when considering what came before...

I still miss Rafa's wit though, which was so under-rated. *waits for barrage of let Rafa go/ Kenny is perfect comments*
excuse me but how does saying the most important players are the fit ones, come across as anything other than correct? He is 100% right, the injured players can do nothing on the side lines, so rightly kenny has to focus on the ones that are fit, and focusing on then being prepared for the next game is what is most important.

And the thing about being defensive about transfers, well it's his humor to take the piss out of these journalists , they ask silly questions that they know kenny won't answer,  they ask the same questions constantly , I would take the piss out of them as well if I was manager.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:42 am »
He has asked them to come up with different questions rather than asking variations of the ones he can't and won't answer each week.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »
Is there a better man-manager in the premier league at the moment? Players seem to love him. Taking Carroll off in the 91st minute, to get him a standing ovation? Excellent.
Think back to the previous manager and his attempts to gee up his players? Oh dear ...
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: April 12, 2011, 12:50:40 am »
Think back to the previous manager and his attempts to gee up his players? Oh dear ...

Sorry but the very concept of that made me laugh.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #689 on: April 12, 2011, 01:11:12 am »
Something about it when he said it rubbed me the wrong way I guess, but when you put it that way, I see where he was coming from.  I guess I was just thinking that if I was Stevie, Danny, Glen, etc I wouldn't appreciate that kind of comment.
We should be thankful then that the aforementioned players are adults who see Kenny every day, have a great relationship with him and don't need to concern themselves with The King taking the piss out of journos in a press conference.

I have to say how proud I am to read what Kenny says about Man Utd and how reasoned he is.  Can you for one minute imagine old Gin Soak being anything like as magnanimous?!
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: April 12, 2011, 01:18:57 am »
excuse me but how does saying the most important players are the fit ones, come across as anything other than correct? He is 100% right, the injured players can do nothing on the side lines, so rightly kenny has to focus on the ones that are fit, and focusing on then being prepared for the next game is what is most important.

And the thing about being defensive about transfers, well it's his humor to take the piss out of these journalists , they ask silly questions that they know kenny won't answer,  they ask the same questions constantly , I would take the piss out of them as well if I was manager.

Don't give him any attention.  I get the feeling he's just a wind up merchant!

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:51 am »

does it annoy you that kenny has performed miracles since he came in also?  ;)
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Fluke

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: April 16, 2011, 07:18:16 am »

You are excused :P  Like I said in my last post, it wasn't about the accuracy of what he said, more the necessity, or even just the way he said it. I understand that what he was getting at was more "let's focus on the ones that are fit", but I guess it could also be taken as insulting those that aren't fit.  Again, I understand now where he was coming from, I guess it was the phrasing more than anything.

Taking the piss I'm fine with :P  Like the crack about going to BBC when Skrts was getting questioned about Wolfsberg was it?  Hilarious.  Even when he shuts a journo down about a random rumour, like when he was getting asked about Adam, and whoever else we've been linked with. No problem with that, we're not going to talk about it.  But sometimes, it seems a little over the top defensive, rather than taking the piss, that's all.

He has asked them to come up with different questions rather than asking variations of the ones he can't and won't answer each week.
Fair enough yeah.  But I guess my other example about Carroll v Sunderland, that hadn't been asked before, and was a pretty reasonable question.

does it annoy you that kenny has performed miracles since he came in also?  ;)
You have no idea!  ;D

We should be thankful then that the aforementioned players are adults who see Kenny every day, have a great relationship with him and don't need to concern themselves with The King taking the piss out of journos in a press conference.

I have to say how proud I am to read what Kenny says about Man Utd and how reasoned he is.  Can you for one minute imagine old Gin Soak being anything like as magnanimous?!
Assuming everything in that first sentence is correct, then yes, definitely :)  I totally agree with your second paragraph also.  Like I said in my original post, most of everything he has done for us I am extremely grateful for, there were just those few things, which I guess could come down to being mis-communications more than anything else...

Lucky the internet wasn't around in shanks day then, he wouldn't even talk to injured players
Your leg? That's Liverpool's leg! ;D  But you're probably right, I might not have liked that.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't have loved him. To be fair, I doubt he'd have been the type to give a damn what someone on the internet thought.

Don't give him any attention.  I get the feeling he's just a wind up merchant!
If you say so...

Offline kdorg

• Anny Roader
« Reply #693 on: April 16, 2011, 11:37:32 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nS8KFbCaQ&feature=player_profilepage

Clip from Kenny's press conference ahead of Arsenal away.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2011, 06:13:56 pm »
Quote of the season for me today (to Wenger)

"It was a penalty!"
(Wenger whingeing)
"Oh piss off!"

;D

Offline Rafas Christmas Coats

• doesn't have the X Factor
  • Kopite
  • May have been jackets!
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »

"It was a penalty!"
(Wenger whingeing)
"Oh piss off!"

;D

I'm waiting for a .gif! ;D
Like every other knobhead, I have a twitter account. twitter.com/guibuttersnaps

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: April 17, 2011, 06:18:16 pm »
Had a go at the Sky interviewer for asking questions regarding to the conversation too.
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

"It was a penalty!"
(Wenger whingeing)
"Oh piss off!"

;D

credit to cadfael on another forum

brilliant
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:53 pm »
Get told Shreeves!!!
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »
love that from kenneth at the end " thank you geoffrey"
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »
Class

Shreeves "when you go a goal down 8 mins to extra time do you fear the worst?"
King "That depends if there are 10 minutes left"

Take that Sly. He's too fast for you
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2011, 06:38:21 pm »
He's really making Sky and Shreeves look proper bell ends lately. We've needed this for so long. They denigrated anything Rafa did and mocked him because he was Spanish and things got lost in translation, but Kenny and Rafa are the same in dealing with Sky. Sadly, Rafa got crucified for the way it came across.

Kenny is a fucking legend. Love the way he put Shreeves in his place again for asking stupid questions yet again.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »

"It was a penalty!"
(Wenger whingeing)
"Oh piss off!"

;D

Suddenly Wenger sees a penalty decision...new contacts Arsene?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
He's really making Sky and Shreeves look proper bell ends lately. We've needed this for so long. They denigrated anything Rafa did and mocked him because he was Spanish and things got lost in translation, but Kenny and Rafa are the same in dealing with Sky. Sadly, Rafa got crucified for the way it came across.

Kenny is a fucking legend. Love the way he put Shreeves in his place again for asking stupid questions yet again.

I'm sure they dread interviewing him - poor Vinny Connor seems to be regularly made a mug of, and that snide Shreeves should know better.

Well in to Kenny - keeping the focus on the players, the performance and the result - and putting Sly in their place too.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2011, 06:49:19 pm »
On 5 live
Interviewer
"Carragher looked out for the count"

KK
"He looks like that usually"

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:02 pm »
Suddenly Wenger sees a penalty decision...new contacts Arsene?

Exactly. :D

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »
What a fucking great moment when he told Wenger to do one. One of the moments of the season for me that. Hilarious.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »
Kenny is too long in the tooth to suffer fools like Wenger and Sky, and he deals with them brilliantly. Will be gutted if he doesn't stay on as manager. Gutted.

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »
Watched the game with an American friend of mine who knows nothing about footie, and after the post-match interview on Sky he turned to me and said, 'I like that Kenny guy, takes no shit.... but does it without sounding arrogant or like an a**hole, class act'.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline rednick75

• Begets Rednich85
  • Anny Roader
  • If the shit fits, wear it!
    • Rednick75 Youtube
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:51 pm »
Wenger cant say shit about the penalty.  Fanny Jeffers' dive anyone?

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »
On 5 live
Interviewer
"Carragher looked out for the count"

KK
"He looks like that usually"

haha that's hilarious

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: April 17, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »
Such a nice man, but he can be a right handful when needs to be.  Love it. 

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »
Class

Shreeves "when you go a goal down 8 mins to extra time do you fear the worst?"
King "That depends if there are 10 minutes left"

Take that Sly. He's too fast for you

i guess i didn't really understand that one.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #714 on: April 17, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »
Such a nice man, but he can be a right handful when needs to be.  Love it.

bloody ruthless at times ar King

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #715 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »
Never thought the man could go up in my estimations, put for telling Wenger to "piss off" he did.The man is not only are manager put a fan and one of us. Thank You.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #716 on: April 17, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
Kenny Dalglish believes there is no team in world football with the spirit and determination displayed by Liverpool at the Emirates on Sunday.

Dirk Kuyt secured a 1-1 draw with the last kick of the game - just minutes after Robin van Persie gave the title-chasers a lead. Both were penalties.

Earlier in the game Jamie Carragher (concussion) and Fabio Aurelio (thigh) had to leave the field, adding to an already lengthy list of defensive injuries.

Andy Carroll was also substituted as a precaution.

Dalglish reflected: "I don't think there's another team anywhere that would show the attitude and commitment we showed out there today.

"They went through a wee bit of adversity, losing Fabio Aurelio early on and putting a 17-year-old boy on at left-back. Losing the captain, having a right-back who's only 18, losing a centre forward, losing a goal eight minutes into injury-time, and they still didn't want to accept they were going to get nothing from the game.

"I don't think I can speak any higher than that. Everybody will be sat there tonight proud at having seen their team produce a performance like that with the attitude and commitment."

Liverpool had three teenagers on the field in the second half and Dalglish is delighted with the young talent at the club.

He said: "Flanno (John Flanagan) is experienced, that was his second game! Sometimes the second game is the worst to play in but he did brilliantly today. Young Jack (Robinson) coming on - he's still available for the youth team next year. He adapted really well.

"It's really daunting to play at the Emirates against a team chasing the championship. It was fantastic, the way he went about his work.

"Jonjo (Shelvey) did fantastic, and wee Jay (Spearing) was fantastic on Monday and turned in another great performance today. We couldn't ask for any more from them.

"It's them that's pushed us. I don't make that decision, they do. In the last year and a half the development and improvement in the Academy has been fantastic.

"We've also got to be really careful that we don't throw them in and ruin them. That was a slight reservation about Jack playing at the Emirates, but he never let anyone down."

On the injuries sustained on the day, Dalglish added: "Carra is no problem. The challenge was innocuous and then one of the lads pushed him onto his side - then you think there's some problem. He's as right as rain now. Well, as right as rain for him!

"He's brand new.

"Fabio is a hamstring. Andy came off as a precaution. He jarred his knee."

Reporters asked the manager for his view on the two penalties after Arsene Wenger claimed the handball by Eboue which led to Kuyt's equaliser should not have been given.

Dalglish said: "My opinion of the two penalty decisions is that there was one right and one wrong: you can work it out for yourselves."

The Scot has had to tackle questions about whether the owners have offered him a long-term contract at every press conference. His post-match press session was no different.

"I get asked this every day and it's the same answer," he said.

"But regarding the owners, they are fully committed to bringing in new faces and spending money on the playing staff, so whoever has the privilege of managing the football club is also going to have the privilege of spending some money."

Sunday's result leaves Liverpool four points off European qualification, though rivals Tottenham have two games in hand. Arsenal, meanwhile, trail Manchester United by six points as Alex Ferguson's men chase a record 19th title.

One journalist suggested Liverpool had handed the Premier League to their bitterest rivals.

"We never handed anybody anything," replied Dalglish. "We beat them 3-1 at Anfield so we didn't hand it to them. We can only look after ourselves.

"In my eyes we're still the best club in English football, if not world football. The surprise is that we've not won a title for a long time.

"We never acquired enough points in any season since 1990. Rafa came close a couple of years ago, had a fantastic record against the so-called big four but just couldn't get it over the line."

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: April 17, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »
Reporters asked the manager for his view on the two penalties after Arsene Wenger claimed the handball by Eboue which led to Kuyt's equaliser should not have been given.

Dalglish said: "My opinion of the two penalty decisions is that there was one right and one wrong: you can work it out for yourselves."

haha!

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: April 17, 2011, 07:36:34 pm »
"hes brand new"  ;D ;D

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
Kenny is too long in the tooth to suffer fools like Wenger and Sky, and he deals with them brilliantly. Will be gutted if he doesn't stay on as manager. Gutted.

Me too.  I think FSG have to realise that there are many credentials required to be Liverpool FC Manager.  It's not just about tactics.  Kenny has the 'secret' ingredient that I'm sure all others out there don't have - he knows, he 'gets it' - what it means to properly represent us as a club.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate