Author Topic: Wrexham FC  (Read 50213 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Wrexham FC
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2023, 08:42:16 pm »
One of the investments is redevelopment of the kop terrace into a new stand, the kop terrace has been closed for years & has been demolished.
#Sausages

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2023, 08:57:40 pm »
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2023, 10:09:03 pm »
Wrexham won 3-0 tonight [this was their game in hand], now need 1 win from their last 2 to win the title & automatic promotion, Wrexham currently on 107 points, Notts County 103 points, both with 2 matches left.
#Sausages

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2023, 10:13:56 pm »
Hopefully they get it done on Saturday! 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2023, 10:23:32 pm »
And by the way, loved this from Ryan Reynolds on his Twitter the other day, his birthday gift to Rob McElhenney  ;D

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1646811762707111936?s=20

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2023, 10:58:59 pm »
Had a look at Saturdays fixtures & Notts County play Maidstone away 3pm, Wrexham home to Boreham Wood 6.30pm, Wrexham won't need the win if Notts County lose. or draw.
#Sausages

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2023, 11:01:45 pm »
Had a look at Saturdays fixtures & Notts County play Maidstone away 3pm, Wrexham home to Boreham Wood 6.30pm, Wrexham won't need the win if Notts County lose. or draw.

Be some party at the Racecourse if Notts slip up!

Still can’t get my head around a team potentially not being promoted despite racking up a three digit points total. Madness.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #367 on: April 19, 2023, 12:05:50 am »
I'm not sure, but Wrexham's 107 points, i think is the record points tally for a season [Wrexham still have 2 matches left], certainly for a pro team in English leagues.
#Sausages

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2023, 08:24:22 am »
I'm not sure, but Wrexham's 107 points, i think is the record points tally for a season [Wrexham still have 2 matches left], certainly for a pro team in English leagues.

I think it is. And Notts County could also beat the previous record this season. And one of them still might not go up!

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2023, 09:03:37 am »
Crawley Town held the old record of 105 points, so Wrexham broke it last night and Notts will do so with one more win. Wrexham have the record for the most wins in a season now with 33, and most goals with 112 though Notts are just 1 goal behind!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: April 19, 2023, 09:10:35 am »
Crawley Town held the old record of 105 points, so Wrexham broke it last night and Notts will do so with one more win. Wrexham have the record for the most wins in a season now with 33, and most goals with 112 though Notts are just 1 goal behind!

Reading got 106 points in the Championship about 15 years ago
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2023, 09:12:03 am »
Do Notts County have big money behind them as well, what is it about them that lets them keep up with Wrexham?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2023, 10:01:08 am »
Must say, im very much enjoying the whole affair and have been watching some of their games.
 It's been nice to be interested in some other results while we're getting ready for next season.
Stroke of genius getting involved with them for the owners. Absolutely nailed it all around.
Will be interesting to see what happens with the wider public when the gloss wears off, but hopefully they continue to progress for the regulars.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2023, 10:01:58 am »
Do Notts County have big money behind them as well, what is it about them that lets them keep up with Wrexham?

No they dont have big money but obviously like Chesterfield they are well supported for that level.

I think they signed 4-5 players from lower league so in that respect they have done a Edwards got gems and their manager has coached them well.....sound like someone else ??!!

Wrexham probably go up again next season but im not sure their fans all rate Parkinson but maybe they do now !!

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #374 on: April 19, 2023, 10:12:30 am »
Are Notts County feeling a bit like we have the past few seasons then?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2023, 10:14:47 am »

Not sure why. City are cheating their way to spending as much as they do from an owner who's source of funds are questionable at best. Wrexham were just bought by two guys who have done well in life and are using creative marketing to help bring in a lot of new money and attention to the club. Sure they've invested too obviously.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: April 19, 2023, 10:19:21 am »

They still have a second bite of the cherry with play offs but in one off games nothing is certain.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #377 on: April 19, 2023, 10:56:50 am »
In this steaming pile of shite that has been a footballing season of FFP, World cup and Liverpool being a bit crap, the Wrexham story has been good to watch in the background.

I think just going out a buying an ex premier league keeper for 8 games is a bit silly (even if its Ben Foster). But for them to be a League team again is a nice story.

How they cope with that jump to a league team and their limitations of operating within that format is going to be their test.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #378 on: April 19, 2023, 11:02:20 am »
Best wishes to Wrexham. As an 'oldie' (early 50s🤣)who grew up in Ireland, I can remember being allowed to stay up late to watch Sports night, and wondering where Wales would play play their international match -  the Racecourse ground, The Vetch field, Ninian park (am I correct?)

I do, however, have a soft spot for Notts County too. I had their colours as one of my subbuteo teams, and I remember us clinching the league title, with a 0-0 draw at their place in May 1984. Hardly an inspirational performance, but for some reason, to this day it stands out for one of my big memories. I can recall where I was, what I was doing, the weather etc. Strange.
I note that the MOTD highlights of the game are on YouTube. I must watch them later. Good times.
Best wishes to both teams.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: April 19, 2023, 11:50:32 am »
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wales-hero-tells-ryan-reynolds-26730029

Hal Robson Kanu, scorer of the greatest goal in the History of International Football tournaments, has offered to play for Wrexham for free( salary going to charity)

The downside for Wrexham, he hasnt played for 2 years.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #380 on: April 19, 2023, 11:53:53 am »
In this steaming pile of shite that has been a footballing season of FFP, World cup and Liverpool being a bit crap, the Wrexham story has been good to watch in the background.

I think just going out a buying an ex premier league keeper for 8 games is a bit silly (even if its Ben Foster). But for them to be a League team again is a nice story.

How they cope with that jump to a league team and their limitations of operating within that format is going to be their test.

He might not fancy it but I don't see why they wouldn't want to keep him on in League 2, even at his age. Was a Premier League regular up until about a year or so ago.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #381 on: April 19, 2023, 11:58:11 am »
Reading got 106 points in the Championship about 15 years ago
I was talking about National League records only. I missed the part of the post that mentioned football league records though  ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: April 19, 2023, 11:58:29 am »
Not sure why. City are cheating their way to spending as much as they do from an owner who's source of funds are questionable at best. Wrexham were just bought by two guys who have done well in life and are using creative marketing to help bring in a lot of new money and attention to the club. Sure they've invested too obviously.

yeah.
the questions about it being like Man City are pretty ignorant, especially coming from Liverpool fans who should know better, considering the sportswashing and the cheating involved, this is nothing alike.

Now I’m sure their fans are utterly frustrated, but it is far from the same!

They didn’t buy him, and he’s not being paid some huge wage! IT was too good an opportunity and too good a story to turn down, for both.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 12:00:11 pm by Dim Glas »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2023, 11:58:41 am »

TBF he was retired and had played for Wrexham on loan at the start of his career, so there is a bit of a back story to it rather than just them throwing money (think he's also playing for next to nothing) at someone a level above.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2023, 11:59:57 am »

Wrexhams keeper, Lainton got injured, the back up Howard isnt very good and has cost them points this season.

Foster was free, as he was unattached, has gone on record as saying he didn't ask for much and financial negotiations took minutes, Foster lives driving distance from Wrexham and has an association with the club.
It was a no brainer. 

Edit, its also good for his podcast
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 12:03:26 pm by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2023, 12:11:48 pm »

Wrexham themselves have as they got 98 one year and missed out to Vardy's Fleetwood and then lost in play offs. They've been unlucky a few times. Now they'll need 110 this year if Notts win their 2 left
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2023, 12:22:14 pm »
Wrexhams keeper, Lainton got injured, the back up Howard isnt very good and has cost them points this season.

Foster was free, as he was unattached, has gone on record as saying he didn't ask for much and financial negotiations took minutes, Foster lives driving distance from Wrexham and has an association with the club.
It was a no brainer. 

Another shrewd move by the owners.
Very good/fit professional who has a pretty large Youtube/social media following. Win win.
He's generated a lot of interest from America from his vlogs already.
I even tuned in to watch his Notts County one. That 'affable guy whole comes out of retirement/saves last minute penalty in tight title race against closest rivals' narrative counldn't have gone any better for their Netflix doc.
The social media aspect is not my bag - but modern football clubs depend on it.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2023, 12:23:28 pm »
Full disclosure: I grew up in Wrexham.

I've been going a few times this season, and have always kept an eye on them even in the more fallow years, and I'm going Saturday. I won't get too dewy eyed about it all, but what Rob and Ryan have done for the town has been absolutely unbelievable. People you meet on holiday from all over are 'impressed' to hear you come from Wrexham - Wrexham! The entire town has been lifted by what they've done. I get why people occasionally pour a bit of cold water on the idea it's a 'fairytale' because of the money involved, and Wrexham have spent more than the other clubs in the league. But the 'fairytale' element is really that a) Wrexham fans saved the club from administration a few years back via a supporters trust and b) that the club now has owners who clearly care deeply about the club, and the wider community. I will try not to turn this into another FSG thread but really that's all you ever want in your owners as a football fan - do they care, and are they doing EVERYTHING they can to make the club as good as it can be. For Rob and Ryan that's 2 of the biggest yeses you can ever give.

My dad's side of the family are scousers, who's home got bombed in the blitz and subsequently the family were moved to Wrexham during the war years. The south wales lot always call us the plastic scousers, and there's clearly a lot of common ground between Wrexham and Liverpool in my view, not just the people but the football clubs as well - though perhaps that is some inherent bias from me personally. But both clubs sing that song about the Tories you might know, the lyrics of which found their way onto Paul Mullin's boots. Do do do do....

Anyway, I'm not usually a fan of other clubs ripping off Liverpool songs but...we're going for promotion, we're shagging all the sheep, we are wrexham fc...and we're gonna win the league! allez allez allez.....

Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2023, 12:29:52 pm »
Pleased for Wrexham. Think they could do with a better manager though once in the higher leagues.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2023, 12:30:39 pm »

I've been going a few times this season, and have always kept an eye on them even in the more fallow years, and I'm going Saturday. I won't get too dewy eyed about it all, but what Rob and Ryan have done for the town has been absolutely unbelievable. People you meet on holiday from all over are 'impressed' to hear you come from Wrexham - Wrexham! The entire town has been lifted by what they've done. I get why people occasionally pour a bit of cold water on the idea it's a 'fairytale' because of the money involved, and Wrexham have spent more than the other clubs in the league. But the 'fairytale' element is really that a) Wrexham fans saved the club from administration a few years back via a supporters trust and b) that the club now has owners who clearly care deeply about the club, and the wider community. I will try not to turn this into another FSG thread but really that's all you ever want in your owners as a football fan - do they care, and are they doing EVERYTHING they can to make the club as good as it can be. For Rob and Ryan that's 2 of the biggest yeses you can ever give.

My dad's side of the family are scousers, who's home got bombed in the blitz and subsequently the family were moved to Wrexham during the war years. The south wales lot always call us the plastic scousers, and there's clearly a lot of common ground between Wrexham and Liverpool in my view, not just the people but the football clubs as well - though perhaps that is some inherent bias from me personally. But both clubs sing that song about the Tories you might know, the lyrics of which found their way onto Paul Mullin's boots. Do do do do....

Anyway, I'm not usually a fan of other clubs ripping off Liverpool songs but...we're going for promotion, we're shagging all the sheep, we are wrexham fc...and we're gonna win the league! allez allez allez.....

City  ;)
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2023, 12:36:13 pm »
City  ;)

it’ll aways be Up the Town though  ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2023, 12:44:57 pm »

You know we nicked-Allez, Allez,Allez from Porto, who nicked it from some Italian clubs, who got it from a pop song.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2023, 12:52:49 pm »
You know we nicked-Allez, Allez,Allez from Porto, who nicked it from some Italian clubs, who got it from a pop song.

I thought we nicked Allez, Allez, Allez from Atletico?
#Sausages

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2023, 12:59:29 pm »
I thought we nicked Allez, Allez, Allez from Atletico?

I heard Porto, but either way it was common Europe before we got onto it

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2023, 01:04:33 pm »
it’ll aways be Up the Town though  ;D

UTST
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2023, 01:04:50 pm »

Well yeah but...you know what i mean.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2023, 01:13:08 pm »
##
Well yeah but...you know what i mean.

Well no ;D

If I was going to make such allegations, it would be more calling the Crispin lane end, The Kop.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2023, 01:25:09 pm »

Notts County have the best player in the league and somebody who should be in League 1 at worst next season. Macaulay Langstaff. 41 goals in the league and they found him from Gateshead in the division below. Bit different to Wrexham who can pay huge readies to somebody who was at Cambridge but hey ho, it’s who you’re owned by in football these days. Wrexham are no exception to the rule.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2023, 01:26:08 pm »

It was a no brainer. 

Yep, Foster was playing for Watford in the premier league last season, Mo scored that worldie against him. ;)

Foster recently retired so was on a free, main keeper Lainton is out injured for the season, back up isn't good, so thought Wrexham might as well, & Foster has made a difference even before that 96th minute penalty save.
#Sausages

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2023, 01:35:04 pm »
Notts received £2m from their owners last season.
So they are not exactly owned by Paupers or mingebags.