Author Topic: Wrexham FC  (Read 50681 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wrexham FC
« Reply #480 on: April 23, 2023, 01:35:57 am »
Must be so special to be a Wrexham supporter.

So little that’s authentic about football these days, including us to be honest. Just a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and overlords wanting to profit from the concept of supporting a club.

I want to be able to just go to a club that feels like home. Where I’m not being seen as something to be monetised right left and centre, and have to beg for a simple ticket to the game. Seriously thinking of fucking off LFC for the first time in my life. Prospect of not getting a season ticket because these fucktard owners decided to over allocate to hospitality has made me wake up. This is all very fake.

But then when I stand back, I’m probably kidding myself. This “football club home” probably doesn’t exist.  It’s all a bit fake and I’m probably just conflating a real like existential crisis with something that’s just meant to be a bit of fun.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:38:58 am by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2023, 02:09:42 am »
It’s not that much different what Wrexham are doing over many other American owners. The ultimate objective is to make money. These lads that own them know the pr game far better than any before them though. They seem to have done it the right way so far but the end game is profit just like FSG. The apple series and different marketing stuff they’ve done using Reynolds brand is incredible but that is only going to get you so far.

I don’t really have a problem with that because that’s just the way it works but I get the feeling some talk about them as if this was a Cinderella story.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2023, 02:19:33 am »
They have their own overpaid mercenaries Keith,literally dropped down into the conference for the money.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2023, 02:57:39 am »
;D

That's not bad at all, Meady...

Nah, clearly Wrexhamburg was the answer here.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2023, 03:18:56 am »
Aye you’re right fellas … I’ll climb back down and stick with Liverpool … plus who am I kidding, I have the filthy Liverpool bug
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2023, 03:20:28 am »
They have their own overpaid mercenaries Keith,literally dropped down into the conference for the money.

And let’s all be real, most of us would do the same … so they’re not really mercenaries, just humans … shouldn’t put too much importance on this football malarkey

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2023, 07:32:22 am »
Harsh calling players at that level mercenaries. Probably on decent money but their careers end at mid 30s. They'd be silly not taking the money some of them

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2023, 07:36:06 am »
Must be so special to be a Wrexham supporter.

So little that’s authentic about football these days, including us to be honest. Just a bunch of overpaid mercenaries and overlords wanting to profit from the concept of supporting a club.

I want to be able to just go to a club that feels like home. Where I’m not being seen as something to be monetised right left and centre, and have to beg for a simple ticket to the game. Seriously thinking of fucking off LFC for the first time in my life. Prospect of not getting a season ticket because these fucktard owners decided to over allocate to hospitality has made me wake up. This is all very fake.

But then when I stand back, I’m probably kidding myself. This “football club home” probably doesn’t exist.  It’s all a bit fake and I’m probably just conflating a real like existential crisis with something that’s just meant to be a bit of fun.

Thing is, it's all well and good enjoying it now and praising the owners when you're demolishing the National League. But the higher they get, and the higher their expectations get, the worse it will become, especially as they pick up more and more casual fans. Before you know it, there will be angst against the owners because they didn't spend enough to get out of the Championship or whatever, and there will be calls for the managers head, and for a bunch of their players to be replaced.

It's like on here. Go back to say 2015 and we all would have done anything to win just one win league title. But then a few months after winning one and everything and anyone was getting criticised left, right and centre.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 07:38:59 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2023, 08:55:35 am »
Thing is, it's all well and good enjoying it now and praising the owners when you're demolishing the National League. But the higher they get, and the higher their expectations get, the worse it will become, especially as they pick up more and more casual fans. Before you know it, there will be angst against the owners because they didn't spend enough to get out of the Championship or whatever, and there will be calls for the managers head, and for a bunch of their players to be replaced.

It's like on here. Go back to say 2015 and we all would have done anything to win just one win league title. But then a few months after winning one and everything and anyone was getting criticised left, right and centre.

You massive party pooper!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2023, 09:04:42 am »

They will find it heavier going with the spending in the Football League. They’re the most strict of the organisations in terms of FFP by a long way. Points deductions have been dished out for it and they nearly sent Derby into extinction.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2023, 09:20:16 am »
They will find it heavier going with the spending in the Football League. They’re the most strict of the organisations in terms of FFP by a long way. Points deductions have been dished out for it and they nearly sent Derby into extinction.

They spend what they bring into the club by way of sponsors  and other income. These owners are smart businessmen so I don’t envisage too many issues with that.

The owners aren’t just stumping up huge amounts of cash and giving the manager a blank chequebook. They have used their contacts to get sponsorships they would never of dreamed of getting, generated huge income through the documentary. Friendly matches in the states against PL teams this summer (Wrexham will attract thousands of new US fans). Home matches selling out every game, the ground being expanded to generate even more gate receipts.

Yeah Paul Mullin earns much higher than the league average, but he’d have got the same money or close to it playing at the league above but chose to move closer to his family. He’d also only had one good season in terms of scoring goals before Wrexham signed him (when he was the league 2 top scorer with Cambridge. It’s at Wrexham where everything has aligned for him and he’s become an even better player so his signing for Wrexham is not really as big a shock as people seem to think, he wasn’t doing this season after season until the last three, with two of them at Wrexham.

I feel there’s a lot of resentment towards Wrexham, or at least a lot of people trying to downplay the ‘story’. It’s not that many years ago a fan was giving away the deeds of his house to save the club, fans turning up at the ground literally with bags of cash, life savings, redundancy money handed over just to save threat club.

Numerous play off heartbreaks. 98 points and not going up. False dawn after false dawn.

If any team down there deserved some wealthy owners coming in to drag them out of that league, Wrexham were near the top of that list.

And on top of that, it’s bringing in tourism to the local and surrounding area that simply was never going to be there if not for the owners. It’s just brilliant all round and I hope they go from strength to strength and climb the leagues.

Yes, I am from North Wales and currently live less than ten miles from Wrexham. Spoiler alert.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2023, 09:26:05 am »
Reynolds and Ronald Mcdonald are wealthy, especially in comparison with National League and EFL 2 clubs, but there are richer owners in EFL 1, so there probably is a ceiling based on their current ownership model.  They're worth approx £290m, Bristol Rovers owner is worth around £450m for example.

It's a great story though, both seem really decent lads and it's surreal seeing A-list stars in the stands at Wrexham, it also helps the area, I think it's great.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2023, 09:45:35 am »

The thing for Wrexham though is they'll have much higher income than probably anyone else in League Two because in addition to 10k crowds (which is high for that league) they'll get a lot of money from sponsorships as well. They're very popular in America for one thing.

Top end of League One is tougher (Ipswich, Derby, Bolton, Sheff Wed etc all big clubs).

Salford for example get 2-3k through the gate and less interest in the club in general, so haven't been able to just buy their way out of League Two like they did in non league. Wrexham - even without their owners - are a League One level club in terms of fanbase, stadium and history.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:47:07 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2023, 09:46:10 am »
Maybe pre-Abramovich I might have had an issue with it. But the last 10-20 years have all become about the ‘owners’ of clubs. It’s inescapable, so the key questions for me are do i have a problem with how they have earned their millions? No. And are they doing what’s best for the community as well as their wallets?Massively. So to me that’s the real story. It’s not a ‘fairytale’, but it’s certainly heads and shoulders above how any club have been run in recent times so im all for it.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #494 on: April 23, 2023, 09:46:37 am »
They spend what they bring into the club by way of sponsors  and other income. These owners are smart businessmen so I don’t envisage too many issues with that.

The owners aren’t just stumping up huge amounts of cash and giving the manager a blank chequebook. They have used their contacts to get sponsorships they would never of dreamed of getting, generated huge income through the documentary. Friendly matches in the states against PL teams this summer (Wrexham will attract thousands of new US fans). Home matches selling out every game, the ground being expanded to generate even more gate receipts.

Yeah Paul Mullin earns much higher than the league average, but he’d have got the same money or close to it playing at the league above but chose to move closer to his family. He’d also only had one good season in terms of scoring goals before Wrexham signed him (when he was the league 2 top scorer with Cambridge. It’s at Wrexham where everything has aligned for him and he’s become an even better player so his signing for Wrexham is not really as big a shock as people seem to think, he wasn’t doing this season after season until the last three, with two of them at Wrexham.

I feel there’s a lot of resentment towards Wrexham, or at least a lot of people trying to downplay the ‘story’. It’s not that many years ago a fan was giving away the deeds of his house to save the club, fans turning up at the ground literally with bags of cash, life savings, redundancy money handed over just to save threat club.

Numerous play off heartbreaks. 98 points and not going up. False dawn after false dawn.

If any team down there deserved some wealthy owners coming in to drag them out of that league, Wrexham were near the top of that list.

And on top of that, it’s bringing in tourism to the local and surrounding area that simply was never going to be there if not for the owners. It’s just brilliant all round and I hope they go from strength to strength and climb the leagues.

Yes, I am from North Wales and currently live less than ten miles from Wrexham. Spoiler alert.

Spot on summary........it's a great story
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #495 on: April 23, 2023, 09:48:51 am »

And on top of that, it’s bringing in tourism to the local and surrounding area that simply was never going to be there if not for the owners.
It’s just brilliant all round and I hope they go from strength to strength and climb the leagues.

Let's hope they don't vote in the fucking Tories again next year.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2023, 10:20:08 am »
Who's the Klopp lookalike on the field for the trophy presentation?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Ker

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: April 23, 2023, 12:31:55 pm »
Out of curiosity, why is there a separate thread about Wrexham FC and why do I keep seeing stories about their promotion in twitter? Were they in the PL too long in the past or anythine else I am missing?

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2023, 12:47:49 pm »
Out of curiosity, why is there a separate thread about Wrexham FC and why do I keep seeing stories about their promotion in twitter? Were they in the PL too long in the past or anythine else I am missing?

Because a local bin man bought them and spent 20 quid on players.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2023, 12:55:37 pm »

Sorry to break this to you, but Princess Diana was killed in a car crash in Paris

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2023, 01:10:36 pm »

Is this one of your attempts at a witty post, because it’s failing miserably.  Why don’t you just read back a few pages or do a bit of research.

For starters, it’s worth looking at the first page of it which was started in 2011 to see why there is a seperate thread for this team, a club located not that far from Merseyside, and which probably has a bit of a ‘duel fanbase’ with Liverpool due to geography. The thread was started at the time the club was in deep shit. It a good time-line of how bad things where to where they are now, back in the football league. It’s great.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: April 23, 2023, 01:26:14 pm »
Is this one of your attempts at a witty post, because it’s failing miserably.  Why don’t you just read back a few pages or do a bit of research.

For starters, it’s worth looking at the first page of it which was started in 2011 to see why there is a seperate thread for this team, a club located not that far from Merseyside, and which probably has a bit of a ‘duel fanbase’ with Liverpool due to geography. The thread was started at the time the club was in deep shit. It a good time-line of how bad things where to where they are now, back in the football league. It’s great.

No man, genuinely, I was curious if they are getting a lot of attention because of the 'Hollywood owner' or maybe they used to be a team like Nottingham Forest so all neutrals are cheering for them to be promoted to upper leagues. I will read the previous pages.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #502 on: April 23, 2023, 01:54:53 pm »
No man, genuinely, I was curious if they are getting a lot of attention because of the 'Hollywood owner' or maybe they used to be a team like Nottingham Forest so all neutrals are cheering for them to be promoted to upper leagues. I will read the previous pages.

Nope😜
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: April 23, 2023, 02:28:31 pm »

so you know about their owners? I just thought your post was odd hence thinking you where trying to be funny. One quick google of Wrexham AFC would give you plenty of info, as would this thread.  They are a really old club, with a difficult recent(ish) history that saw them fall down the leagues into non-league, and almost out of existence, and a story most fans here would know even something about due in no small part to location, just seemed an odd thing to ask!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: April 23, 2023, 02:30:48 pm »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: April 23, 2023, 02:37:04 pm »
Nope😜

:lmao

She pays an unfair price for knowing her stuff well.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: April 23, 2023, 03:40:17 pm »
so you know about their owners? I just thought your post was odd hence thinking you where trying to be funny. One quick google of Wrexham AFC would give you plenty of info, as would this thread.  They are a really old club, with a difficult recent(ish) history that saw them fall down the leagues into non-league, and almost out of existence, and a story most fans here would know even something about due in no small part to location, just seemed an odd thing to ask!

Notts county without the silverware

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2023, 03:42:31 pm »
Harsh calling players at that level mercenaries. Probably on decent money but their careers end at mid 30s. They'd be silly not taking the money some of them

Not harsh when it's a fact though.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: April 23, 2023, 04:06:07 pm »
Fuck the tories, early morning McD's edition  ;D

https://twitter.com/thesnowdens/status/1650086101766348800?s=20

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: April 23, 2023, 06:56:16 pm »
made my way into town from Anfield yesterday and watched it in Reileys by Lime street.

All the locals were cheering the Wrexham goals which was nice.

Stockport look like finishing in the play offs in League 2 after getting promotion at Wrexham's expense. There is no reason why Wrexham shouldn't be looking at back to back promotions.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2023, 08:11:54 pm »
made my way into town from Anfield yesterday and watched it in Reileys by Lime street.

All the locals were cheering the Wrexham goals which was nice.

Stockport look like finishing in the play offs in League 2 after getting promotion at Wrexham's expense. There is no reason why Wrexham shouldn't be looking at back to back promotions.

Stockport were favourites to win the League when the season started, as were Salford when they were first promoted. Both have underperformed in that sense. 

Wrexham will be favourites next year.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: April 23, 2023, 09:40:44 pm »
It’s not that much different what Wrexham are doing over many other American owners. The ultimate objective is to make money. These lads that own them know the pr game far better than any before them though. They seem to have done it the right way so far but the end game is profit just like FSG. The apple series and different marketing stuff they’ve done using Reynolds brand is incredible but that is only going to get you so far.

I don’t really have a problem with that because that’s just the way it works but I get the feeling some talk about them as if this was a Cinderella story.

Reynolds called it a business in an interview I read last week.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2023, 09:44:55 pm »

Yeah, these lads need the money.  Not like the ones at the top of the pyramid.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2023, 09:47:35 pm »
Yeah, these lads need the money.  Not like the ones at the top of the pyramid.

It was money well spent but lets not kids ourselves,they knew that they'd have to pay way over the odds to get the manager,Mullin & some of the more recent signings to drop down levels.

And I didn't bring it up.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2023, 10:04:33 pm »
It was money well spent but lets not kids ourselves,they knew that they'd have to pay way over the odds to get the manager,Mullin & some of the more recent signings to drop down levels.

And I didn't bring it up.

I was just agrreing with Keith that these lads need the money, Unlike lads on £xxx,xxx a week

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2023, 11:40:01 pm »
Plaid and Labour need to do something to ensure the Tories don't sneak through the back door again, that's for sure.

Brilliant seeing Wrexham promoted and will be interesting to see how they get on in League 2 and who they bring in.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: April 24, 2023, 12:19:48 am »

Im sure that was just a pro brexit thing, Hoping anyway, Im in north wales too and we voted Tory, the Labour MP who we had for years served as a minister under Blair, lost his seat as he was pro remain.

The fans dont like the MP. she called them Wrexham Athletic in parliament and Mullins fuck the tories boots were very popular 

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #517 on: April 24, 2023, 02:01:47 am »
Apparently Mullin was in the McNasties in Wrexham chanting fuck the tories after the match. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: April 24, 2023, 02:24:57 am »
Always in my recommended on Youtube as well, Abu Dhabi used to be even though I didn't ever watch any of their videos, I can only assume Google tweak the algorithm if you bung them some money.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: April 24, 2023, 03:41:23 am »
Some people saying that league football is a different breed financial wise than national league, id argue that Wrexham are prolly making more than 1/3 of League One clubs. Theyve grown massivley and have a decent sized stadium. Once the Kop is done they will have a bigger stadium than half the current League One teams

If I was a wrexham fan my hope would be in the championship in the next 10 years and then they probably need someone to come in and buy them out right or buy a portion of the club to help with investment to try and get in the PL but I think League one is quite doable quickly

I would not be shocked if they are in League One in 1-3 seasons. Getting into the Championship and staying there will be hard and getting into the PL will be very very very hard.