Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 629992 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #6080 on: December 24, 2016, 03:57:14 pm »
My love and thoughts are with you all this year.  Except the wankers obviously.  ;) ;D

Seriously though, I hope you all have the best Christmas you possibly can.  Here's to 2017!
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #6081 on: December 24, 2016, 05:43:46 pm »
Again, I typed a response a hundred times, and then deleted it. Thought it was not worthy.
Again, I thought about responding for thousand times, didn't as I thought I've got no worthy opinions to share.

Fuck that.

Christmas time is just the worst. struggling to get by.

Posing to your family and friends, just that they don't see what's going on.
All about keeping the facade. Hold your pose untill everyone leaves.
Hide your problems, or they'll bring shame to your family..

Fuck that.

Again, I'll survive, I have to. I have no other way out.
I'll do everything not to hurt my mum, she's allready buried two sons and a husband.
Hell no she'll bury me. She's had more than her share of death.

Fuck me.

This time of the year gets me messed up. Hate it really...

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #6082 on: December 24, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
I dislike the sudden "goodwill to all men" aspect that's missing all year round  :( it stinks of being artificial
I can't tolerate being fake, I've cut people out of my life because of it, but the people who feel you, stick by you.
But stay strong brothers and sisters, it's only a couple of days

The longest night has passed - the earth is turning, and spring and summer are nearer now than a week ago. Light and warmth always helps - it's how we are built.

And all things change. Every grain of sand was once solid rock. The bad times don't endure so don't sweat 'em. The good times don't last so lap them up and know if all things change, more good is on the way...

Sometimes it's about endurance. You'll emerge stronger for it.

When you walk through a storm...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:43:13 pm by ToneLa »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6083 on: December 24, 2016, 09:09:55 pm »
Good luck Kesey.

It actually went well John.

I found the courage to knock on the door and the Grand Mother opened. I opened up my heart and spoke the truth and she actually listened and I could tell she was moved.

Let's see what happens .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6084 on: December 24, 2016, 09:10:54 pm »

I found the courage to knock on the door and the Grand Mother opened. I opened up my heart and spoke the truth and she actually listened and I could tell she was moved.

Let's see what happens .
Good to hear...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6085 on: December 24, 2016, 09:11:41 pm »
Ps. I cried.

Fuck all wrong with that !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6086 on: December 25, 2016, 12:22:16 am »
Stay strong all of you, whatever you're going through, stay strong and get through it, I wish you all the very best. It's been a torrid year for me, maybe one day I'll post here more in depth, but stay strong lads and lasses.

YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6087 on: December 25, 2016, 02:18:31 am »
Keep strong because every time I've given up, something new comes along.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6088 on: December 25, 2016, 03:20:55 am »
Just feel so numb, to everything. In my head, I feel like I'm a 50-something man, not a 20-something man. But at the same time, I'm scared for the future and all these things I'm supposed to be excited about just don't exist as 'pleasures' in my head. I went on holiday earlier this year. A holiday = pleasure, right? I mean, the city was great and everything and I had the person I want with me, but I felt very little actual 'pleasure'. I could easily have stayed in bed for all 5 days I was away. I'm unexcitable (no, not just a miserable bastard), everything seems like a chore. Just living seems like a chore at times. I've had these thoughts for a long time. About 4 years ago, I was probably the happiest I can remember. A lot of it was forced/faked. I faked confidence and faked smiling/happiness outwardly, and had a large circle of friends etc. At a point, I didn't have to fake it anymore - I was left just being generally content, or so I thought. But in the past however long since then, feelings of depression always come back to me. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited about something. Whereas, I feel lonely, anxious, worried, self-concious (and whatever else), in varying degrees, almost daily.

I don't consider myself to have depression. But then again, I think I do. I'd always been a 'sad, introverted, shy boy' growing up, so I don't feel like I've suddenly plunged into anything - depression, anxiety or whatever else may be 'wrong' with me - I feel like I've maybe just sort of grown into it, and I don't recognise it for what it is. Nobody around me would think I feel like this, not even my partner, because I'm still good at faking happiness and excitement, I guess. I wish I could turn my brain off, or turn off feeling sorry for myself whenever I can.

Tough time of the year, being back with family who are all so merry and cheery and I just can't identify with any of it, or any of them. I hope this is a phase and something I'll be able to adapt to, perhaps.

I just feel I need to write down my feelings, don't really expect any answers or anything.

So at this moment in time, I basically just feel hopeless, dejected and lonely as fuck. But this could change, tomorrow I might feel a bit more hopeful again, but then five minutes later everything will seem meaningless. Not really sure what to do. But again, I'm not suicidal.

Found myself relating to this a lot, and a lot I haven't said, you've said it better - especially the last line. Drop me a PM anytime if you fancy mate.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:24:10 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6089 on: December 25, 2016, 08:25:58 am »
Can't believe its my 3rd Christmas on my own... Miss you Tracy xxx
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6090 on: December 25, 2016, 08:41:45 am »
Thinking of those with missing loved ones, hold one tight to those that you love and remember the good times, they'll help get you through. Missing a mate of mine who took his own life round this time of  year, it's better to be honest if you are miserable than plaster fake happiness around. Someone will notice and care.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6091 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:17 am »
All is still quiet in the house...

So I just want to give a thought to all of you who are struggling at this time of year.

EDP, trying to live your life wearing a facade will only end up putting an enormous strain on yourself day to day. Why don't you tell your partner, that's what they're there for, after all.

Best Wishes to you all and You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #6092 on: December 25, 2016, 08:57:54 am »
Waking up on your own Christmas morning sucks....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:23:58 am by stevienash »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6093 on: December 25, 2016, 08:59:41 am »
Ps. I cried.

Fuck all wrong with that !
Made up for you mate. No expectations but a brilliant step taken. Ya big girl. [emoji6]

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6094 on: December 25, 2016, 09:06:06 am »
Have as nice a day as you can everyone, Merry Christmas.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #6095 on: December 25, 2016, 09:32:37 am »
Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all manage to forget your troubles for a while at least and have the best day you possibly can.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6096 on: December 25, 2016, 11:09:37 am »

Let's see what happens .
Christ that must have been emotional for you mate, hope something great comes out of it for you. Maybe next year she'll open the presents with you.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6097 on: December 25, 2016, 11:12:23 am »
Must be a tough time of the year for some, best wishes.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6098 on: December 25, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »
Waking up on your own Christmas morning sucks....

Your lucky.

I woke to me mam singing feed the world.

;D

Stay strong abd concentrate on the positive things inyour life.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6099 on: December 25, 2016, 12:13:16 pm »
Christ that must have been emotional for you mate, hope something great comes out of it for you. Maybe next year she'll open the presents with you.

It was . Very.

I spoke to the grandmoher and yep is ll my fault. Nobody is putting my litle girl first. I cried and tears never lie. Ever.

One good thing to come of it I was accused of not paying CSA payments. I have been paying . I can prove it by by bank transactions. I said to her are you willing for me to prove it to you ?  I can post you bank statements . She said yes. No I have exposed the mother as a liar .

Big seed planted in peoples head there fella.  If  she is lying about payments what else can she be lying about ?

The truth always comes out mate. Always.

Boom !!!

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6100 on: December 25, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »
Made up for you mate. No expectations but a brilliant step taken. Ya big girl. [emoji6]

A huge step.

And thanks again John.

I yearn for the day she calls me daddy. I have so much love for her its hard to explain. So much to teach her. Playing guitar , camping skills , making bread etc. The biggest one to teach her is to forgive your totmentors now matter how hard it is.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6101 on: December 25, 2016, 12:21:48 pm »
special wishes to those suffering this horrible shit! xxx
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6102 on: December 25, 2016, 12:26:14 pm »
Just feel so numb, to everything. In my head, I feel like I'm a 50-something man, not a 20-something man. But at the same time, I'm scared for the future and all these things I'm supposed to be excited about just don't exist as 'pleasures' in my head. I went on holiday earlier this year. A holiday = pleasure, right? I mean, the city was great and everything and I had the person I want with me, but I felt very little actual 'pleasure'. I could easily have stayed in bed for all 5 days I was away. I'm unexcitable (no, not just a miserable bastard), everything seems like a chore. Just living seems like a chore at times. I've had these thoughts for a long time. About 4 years ago, I was probably the happiest I can remember. A lot of it was forced/faked. I faked confidence and faked smiling/happiness outwardly, and had a large circle of friends etc. At a point, I didn't have to fake it anymore - I was left just being generally content, or so I thought. But in the past however long since then, feelings of depression always come back to me. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited about something. Whereas, I feel lonely, anxious, worried, self-concious (and whatever else), in varying degrees, almost daily.

I don't consider myself to have depression. But then again, I think I do. I'd always been a 'sad, introverted, shy boy' growing up, so I don't feel like I've suddenly plunged into anything - depression, anxiety or whatever else may be 'wrong' with me - I feel like I've maybe just sort of grown into it, and I don't recognise it for what it is. Nobody around me would think I feel like this, not even my partner, because I'm still good at faking happiness and excitement, I guess. I wish I could turn my brain off, or turn off feeling sorry for myself whenever I can.

Tough time of the year, being back with family who are all so merry and cheery and I just can't identify with any of it, or any of them. I hope this is a phase and something I'll be able to adapt to, perhaps.

I think I've just found a kindred spirit.  That's pretty much me too, how I feel, but I'm older at 38.  The last few years, I've just dropped the facade and told everyone how i feel.  I've found because of that, I do have better days and periods because I'm not putting on an act so much.   Drop me a PM any time mate.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6103 on: December 25, 2016, 01:17:48 pm »
I yearn for the day she calls me daddy. I have so much love for her its hard to explain. So much to teach her. Playing guitar , camping skills , making bread etc. The biggest one to teach her is to forgive your totmentors now matter how hard it is.
The best days of her life are ahead of her mate, and you'll see them. You'll be part of them.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #6104 on: December 25, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »
The best days of her life are ahead of her mate, and you'll see them. You'll be part of them.

Thanks.

She turns 18 as I turn 60.

Get the ale girl.

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6105 on: December 25, 2016, 09:46:19 pm »
All the best to everyone

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6106 on: December 26, 2016, 05:00:34 pm »
If you have time to fill for yourself, you could to worse than do put on to Alan Watts

I'd urge you but nobody likes to be told what to do.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZUgv2IT4M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZUgv2IT4M</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1fytRAMRE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1fytRAMRE</a>
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:57:03 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6107 on: December 31, 2016, 12:03:57 pm »

Found myself relating to this a lot, and a lot I haven't said, you've said it better - especially the last line. Drop me a PM anytime if you fancy mate.

This is me in a nutshell mate. Started thinking about the last time I felt excited and I honestly can't remember. Numb is the precise word for it.

And as for christmas with the family being all merry and cherry, I felt exactly the same. So I told my employer that I could work every day, and I have. Since December 19th I've worked every day so I didn't have to go home for christmas. I just felt anxious about the idea of meeting everyone. And that makes me sad, because I've always LOVED christmas. Felt like it was the best time of the year. But no, not anymore.

Thank god New years eve is almost over and everything goes back to "normal". Don't have time to write any more, have to go to work. But same offer for you, drop me a PM anytime.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6108 on: December 31, 2016, 12:04:27 pm »
And happy new year everyone.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6109 on: December 31, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
If you have time to fill for yourself, you could to worse than do put on to Alan Watts

I'd urge you but nobody likes to be told what to do.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_ZUgv2IT4M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_ZUgv2IT4M</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kl1fytRAMRE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kl1fytRAMRE</a>

I'd also recommend Actualised.org, who have a youtube channel.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GcNGtZPPSS8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GcNGtZPPSS8</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l96TZeZGlDg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l96TZeZGlDg</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #6110 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:01 pm »

Offline IrishSu

• percalifragilisticexpialidocious. I am WOman, Hear me RAWK!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Like an Irish Stew, just not as lumpy
« Reply #6111 on: December 31, 2016, 11:40:28 pm »
Stay strong guys, we're nearly there. x
JFT96 YNWA

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6112 on: January 3, 2017, 01:48:10 pm »
Not been myself since New Years Day.

Never suffered with depression or anxiety or anything like that before until now.

My dad, girlfriend and I sat in the living room whilst my mum was making a New Years Day roast - next minute she comes barging in choking on a piece of beef, she fell unconscious and if it wasn't for my girlfriend's quick thinking she may not be here today. 10 mintues of pure chaos, terror, horror at the fact that I could lose my mum in this way, in her own living room in the arms of my dad and girlfriend. She came around after CPR after a minute with the beef finding its way up to her mouth.

My girlfriend is a physio and has basic knowledge of first aid which basically saved my mums life before the ambulance arrived.

Couple days after I'm still struggling mentally thinking of - 'what if' and the screams of my dad... the vivid pictures of my mum lying there unconscious. Think its mostly trauma and shock to be honest, 24 years of my life i've been lucky to have good health in my family, to suddenly go through that was just awful to say the least.

Apart from being a bit bruised she's absolutley fine now, thankfully.

I'm struggling to shake the experience off though...
« Last Edit: January 3, 2017, 01:52:10 pm by GonzalezIsARed »

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6113 on: January 3, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »
Fucking hell mate, sorry to hear that!  :o

See your doctor immediately.  You might be suffering post traumatic stress.  They might be able to recommend or prescribe something in the short term to help you calm down and relax.  Don't wait as it could manifest into something else a few years down the line that could be much harder to shift.

Good luck.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #6114 on: January 4, 2017, 05:30:20 am »
I thought about 8 months or so ago I was at the bottom of the well. Indeed, I might have been. I remember the feeling of hopelessness that flooded my body, the feeling of not wanting to live. Those feelings became so strong that I actively made plans to end my life, so much so that I was halted from doing so by the Police. It was a dark period in my life for me and my family. I remember most of the episode but given that I had a breakdown some days are completely gone from my memory. Spending time in a mental health unit was not something I ever thought would happen, but had I not been taken there then I wholeheartedly believe that I wouldn't be here now. It wasn't a case of me necessarily wanting to die, but the idea of continuing and facing the pain was too overwhelming. It all hurt too much. Mentally and physically I was in pain, I won't say I was catatonic but I found it hard to simply respond to a question. As I said at the top of this paragraph I was at the bottom of the well, and there I thought it could not get any worse.

Unfortunately, I feel like it has gotten worse. I feel like I have found a level deeper than I knew was possible. In the subsequent months after leaving the unit I improved. I was put on medication, I underwent intense therapy for certain issues and I was feeling a lot better. My personal life was in turmoil for a while (I'll elaborate on that later) but other things were better, like I found out I was to become an uncle for the first time and job opportunities were coming along. Unfortunately in the middle of August I lost my Nan rather suddenly. I was so beset by grief that I believe I posted a thread on her in her memory. I'm not much a thread starter, but I felt compelled to do it and my life was again thrown upside down. The boss, the Don Corleone of our family as we used to call her was gone and the impact of her loss cannot be emphasised enough. She was everything to us; she had 8 children with almost 30 grandchildren and the family was thrown into chaos as her husband, my Grandad, died in the late 90's. The whole family dynamic had changed. We feared it would happen and it is doing so now, but the whole layout of the wider family isn't the same; people have fallen out, people are strangers, cliques have formed and while it is understandable to an extent it doesn't make it any easier. She was a truly wonderful woman.

I think for a while I didn't realize what had happened. I mean yeah, she was ill, 80 years of age with a myriad of problems but she went so suddenly that it was hard to grasp. My personal life at this point had improved and those who I know through PM or through the relationship thread will know the turbulent time I've endured during the past number of months. By this point me and my ex had reconciled, we were getting on great and that was a positive. But in all honesty given that I was so determined not to lose her I concentrated by entire effort not to do so. I don't think I allowed myself the time to grieve for my Nan, and up until now I don't think I still have.

I say we were getting on great, and yeah I suppose we were, but only on her terms. The relationship was a secret given what had happened during the last break up and I was a dirty little secret. Nobody knew we were together from her side. The odd person knew we were on good terms and seeing each other (they presumably thought it was the odd platonic coffee), but nobody knew we were in a relationship. Great, right? More stress and pressure to deal with. If I called her up she would never answer if someone was around because she couldn't answer and say "Hi Luke, how are you doing?". How could she? I was a secret. If we were on the phone and someone walked in I'd be buttoned, she had to make plans around her personal life that didn't include me. She frequently took what she could from me and postponed our plans if something else better came along. I would sometimes call her up and need to talk about my Nan, just to offload a little and have someone there for me. Guess what? She wouldn't answer because I was a secret. A girlfriend of 10 years couldn't offer her boyfriend support in grief because she was keeping me hidden. But guess who was the bad one for bringing any issues up about it? Not her.

Yeah, I agreed to the relationship the way it was temporarily, I stupidly believed that she would tell people eventually. She never did. We would have a wonderful night out, or a run of wonderful nights out, but then a petty argument would lead to her saying 'I was close to telling people but I'm not now because of that argument'. Right, back at square one. Looking back, she would initiate the arguments simply to have her excuse ready. Love, it makes you do crazy shit. I used to say ask would she like a holiday and she would equivocate and not answer properly. Why? Because where the fuck was she going to tell people she was for a week or two? Not possible. Camping for a weekend seemed great, nobody bats an eyelid. 2 weeks, where has she gone? No, I was a secret, it wasn't allowed. If you extend this secret part to every aspect of the relationship I'm not surprised there were arguments and animosity at times. She doesn't, she believed that I should know my role basically and shut up and accept it. I did, because I love her. I had no right to complain. I had no right to moan.

So we go back about 4 weeks and we had been getting on wonderfully well for the most part. She was getting closer to me, and she was still feeding me the soundbites that it would soon be OK. We would walk past a jewellers and she'd stop to look at rings, we looked at places together, we talked about marriage and kids. She was telling me how thankful SHE was for me not giving up on her. She told me that she loved me more than she ever had. I felt like finally it was getting somewhere. But one night we had an argument over something rather petty and it got out of hand. She ended it on the spot. She didn't want to talk for a few days, that few days went into a week. At that point however my little nephew was born (another red in the world). We were on better talking terms, I was hopeful she was coming around and when the baby was born she texted my family and congratulated them, she told me how excited she was and that WE had a nephew to spoil and love. I was relieved on two levels. One, to be an uncle to a gorgeous baby boy and that me and here were OK and we could head into the Christmas period full of the joys.

How wrong I was. The next day she decided to ghost me. For those unfamiliar with the term it's when a man or a woman in a relationship (or affair) completely ignores the other one. Blocked on everything, calls go cold, no response, nothing whatsoever. The night before we seemed OK, then suddenly she was gone like she never existed in the first place. Strange, I thought. Very strange. The timing was appalling from her, and after a 10 year relationship it was extremely cowardly to do what she did, especially so given the new baby and it heading into Christmas. She finally responded about 10 days later, telling me that I knew it was over and she never wanted to speak to me again and that she had a letter with her reasons ready to post. OK, heartbreaking of course but at least I was going to be told why.

Up until now there has been no letter. She promised to post it, to send it, for me to pick it up, but each time it doesn't happen. No letter exists. She's since promised to Email me the same words as the letter but again, she hasn't. It does not exist. We bumped into each other on a night out over Christmas and it was amicable, we hugged and kissed on the cheek and even though I was all over the place she still said she loved me but she couldn't be with me. We didn't speak until New Year's Eve, I admit I called her and we spent time on the phone and it was again rather amicable and we laughed a bit. She agreed we needed to talk like adults face to face, she needed to tell me her reasoning and to put things to bed. She said to call through the week to arrange a date. Fine, when I do she's fucking drunk and acting the complete opposite to how she did on New Years' Eve. On NYE she said it was the hardest period in her life, she's deeply depressed, she doesn't want to not be in my life but she has to do this, etc. Then when we spoke a couple of days later suddenly she's happy, she denied saying she loved me, she was cold and bitchy in all honesty. She poured water on any hopes UNTIL the last bit of the conversation, when she said that when she saw me out by chance over Christmas she went home and thought 'What have I done, I want to be with him, I've made a mistake'. So she's playing with my emotions, she hasn't fully let go. You could say it's a case of I wont let her, and in part I would agree, but she's also making offers to see me to 'talk', she responded to a NYE message. She continues to have me by a string, knowing I'm a fool, knowing she can have me when she wants me, knowing that she doesn't have to sweat or worry about the situation. I'll go running anytime she wants, and her ego and power trip tendencies love that.

So that's where I'm at in my personal life. I'm broken. Much of this post has been taken up by relationship issues and maybe it should be in the designated thread, but I'm not feeling this low and depressed just because of that. It's the impact of the past 12 months. It's the death of my amazing Nan. It's experiencing a strange and cold Christmas. It's the overriding feeling of loss. It's the fear of getting older and experiencing more of it. It's the idea that I'll never truly escape the demons inside my mind. I wanted to start this year on a bright note, and my little nephew is truly a little ray of sunshine, but it's difficult to find the strength to move forward. I keep thinking I'm getting there but I never do. I make one step forward and then two back.

I've accepted that life isn't for me. It's brought me too much heartache and pain lately that I feel like I've got no more ink left in my pen. I've got no more to give. If this was a boxing match I'd have thrown the towel in. Life's supposed to be beautiful but it's nothing more than a living nightmare. I don't know what I can do to keep going. I'm incredibly sorry for the long post, it went on longer than I imagined. I suppose I've got so much built up inside me and I had to get it out somewhere. The emotional rollercoaster I've been on has beaten me. That's what I feel has won. I cannot bear the thought of having to deal with any more emotional issues, I feel like I've already had a lifetime of it. I just want it to stop.

There's a Moby song, and it's used at the end of the episode 'Join the Club' in The Sopranos. The lyric that stuck in my head is 'I don't want to swim the ocean, I don't want to fight the tide, I don't want to live forever, when it's cold I'd like to die.' I'm feeling very cold right now. Very, very cold. Maybe, somehow, I'll find the warm.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #6115 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
Christmas is a time of year that I despise; the 'perfect' images, the family sat around a table covered in more food than anyone will eat, the 'gotta have it' marketing. All utter bollocks. But while these appear at first glance to be trivial matters - ones that merely grate - they can be the unwanted trigger for people who face that time of year on their own, or without people they want to be with. I am warmed by the fact that people in here are so open about it, and have the courage and dignity to talk about personal matters to a bunch of often complete strangers. If anything, that perhaps make it easier. Society is quick to demonise anyone who displays an apparent weakness by opening up about their inner demons. I would rather see society embrace it.

Which brings me to my own demons. I am increasingly losing control of a number of aspects in my life, and it has almost entirely been caused by my work. The past year has been one of the biggest professional challenges of my life; the past 4 months have been a living hell. I work in an environment that is supposed to help people with mental and physical health issues, yet is now doing its best to worsen my own. Having helped my wife recently recover from her own demons, she has now found that the tables have turned.

A continued dumping of responsibilities on me as a result of staff shortages. Lack of any form of senior management direction. Doing the work of two and a half members of staff in the time allocated to barely do one job. Having to manage two sites 140 miles apart and be expected to be in two places at once. My own staff now complaining that I don't adequately support them, even though yesterday I did a 17 hour day to help one group of them and didn't receive as much as a thank you for it. Performance, performance, performance. Sleeping 4 hours a night. Drinking far too much to try and sleep. Losing interest in so many areas of my life... the list goes on.

I have always considered myself to be mentally tough, resilient, however you want to label it. But when I experienced my first panic attack over the Christmas holidays, when I thought I was having a heart attack but it was the tight-chest anxiety attack, I knew I was starting to slip. I still feel as if I am gradually unravelling. I used to enjoy my job too, the constructive work and the difference I was making to the lives of people who really needed the support. But moving into middle-management has proven costly. I'm only 40, but I've had clients before who were in their late 30's, in similar jobs to my own, who had recovered from heart attacks and stress-induced depression. It makes me worry about the thought that I might not live to grow old with my wife, to see my nephews grow up, to do all of the things I've always wanted to do. It's keeping me awake at night, making me at times incredibly upset. I don't fucking want to feel like this at all.

Although my own issues are largely insignificant in comparison to some of the heartbreaking stories I've read on here, I feel better by doing exactly what everyone else has done in sharing my experiences. I'm not looking for sympathy, but merely allowing a destructive part of me to escape. Having now experienced at first hand what many of you have written about, my respect for everyone who has shared their experiences has grown even more. I hope that we can all draw strength from each other and ensure that no one walks alone.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6116 on: January 25, 2017, 01:14:39 am »
Please read the last page. I don't know what to say about Christmas stuff now, because my life has moved incredibly fast lately

There's so many issues out there. I am determined to help people rather than clutter up their lives. Many people are empty vessels who don't know the harm they do.

We as a society are responsible - whatever your role is, look out for the person next to you.

---
I came into this thread because I haven't forgotten about all the lonely souls that posted here... so many people just need somebody to talk to.

I have read the past few pages, and my personal beliefs - please realise someone is reading this thread. I know sometimes you just have to get it out of you.

keep pouring it out.

I have listened to this tonight, to grant me some perspective, he is my favourite philosopher. I can't advocate his words enough.

Quote from: Alan Watts
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m8gR4sQvjt4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m8gR4sQvjt4</a>

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:43:29 pm by ToneLa »

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #6117 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:22 pm »
Compared to some on here, my problems seem rather insignificant, so using this to get it off my chest I suppose.

Over the last year I have had a number of health issues.  My hearing started going at the beginning of 2016, and got to the point where I now wear hearing aids (I'm 42, by the way).  This has been diagnosed as otosclerosis, essentially arthritis of the ear bones.

There is a relatively simple procedure to fix this and the NHS put me forward to have it done.  During pre-op tests an abnormality was found on the ECG results, leading to me to be referred to a cardiologist.  He thinks I have a valve disorder and needs to investigated further (had a cardiac MRI scan where I was in the scanning tube for an hour and three quarters, not pleasant) before signing me off as fit for the ear surgery under GA.

During all this, I fractured two vertebrae in my lower back, not through sport or lifting etc, I just woke up with severe back pain.

This has been diagnosed, after 3-4 months, as osteoporosis in the lower back and osteopena in the upper back.  I've been given tablets that I will have to take on a long-term basis that will help but obviously not cure.

To top it off, I woke on Thursday last with more back pain and after an x-ray I've managed to break another vertebrae while sleeping, so three gone in a few months with no known cause.

All this going on in a relatively short space of time has really got me down.  My work has an external employee assistance program that can provide counselling so I thought I'd give them a call.

I explained my situation and because I work in medical I've got a pretty good grasp of what's wrong physically and what can be done.  The chap I spoke to said that as I seem to have my head round things there wasn't the need to speak to anyone.  I wouldn't have called them if I didn't think it would help.

Ho hum, just keep cracking on, I guess, as said there are people a lot worse off than me.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #6118 on: January 27, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »
Compared to some on here, my problems seem rather insignificant, so using this to get it off my chest I suppose.

Over the last year I have had a number of health issues.  My hearing started going at the beginning of 2016, and got to the point where I now wear hearing aids (I'm 42, by the way).  This has been diagnosed as otosclerosis, essentially arthritis of the ear bones.

There is a relatively simple procedure to fix this and the NHS put me forward to have it done.  During pre-op tests an abnormality was found on the ECG results, leading to me to be referred to a cardiologist.  He thinks I have a valve disorder and needs to investigated further (had a cardiac MRI scan where I was in the scanning tube for an hour and three quarters, not pleasant) before signing me off as fit for the ear surgery under GA.

During all this, I fractured two vertebrae in my lower back, not through sport or lifting etc, I just woke up with severe back pain.

This has been diagnosed, after 3-4 months, as osteoporosis in the lower back and osteopena in the upper back.  I've been given tablets that I will have to take on a long-term basis that will help but obviously not cure.

To top it off, I woke on Thursday last with more back pain and after an x-ray I've managed to break another vertebrae while sleeping, so three gone in a few months with no known cause.

All this going on in a relatively short space of time has really got me down.  My work has an external employee assistance program that can provide counselling so I thought I'd give them a call.

I explained my situation and because I work in medical I've got a pretty good grasp of what's wrong physically and what can be done.  The chap I spoke to said that as I seem to have my head round things there wasn't the need to speak to anyone.  I wouldn't have called them if I didn't think it would help.

Ho hum, just keep cracking on, I guess, as said there are people a lot worse off than me.

It's perfectly understandable to feel the way you do given your circumstances mate. Pretty much anything can trigger feelings of depression, and what you have experienced and are still experiencing certainly doesn't sound pleasant. People think you have to experience a death or a divorce to be depressed, when in reality anything that impacts on your daily life can be the catalyst for the feelings that follow.

It's good that you've even posted on here to get things of your chest. Talking helps, it really does. I hope for your sake they get to the bottom of what is wrong, and if you ever need to talk you can always drop me a PM.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #6119 on: January 28, 2017, 08:35:59 am »
It's perfectly understandable to feel the way you do given your circumstances mate. Pretty much anything can trigger feelings of depression, and what you have experienced and are still experiencing certainly doesn't sound pleasant. People think you have to experience a death or a divorce to be depressed, when in reality anything that impacts on your daily life can be the catalyst for the feelings that follow.

It's good that you've even posted on here to get things of your chest. Talking helps, it really does. I hope for your sake they get to the bottom of what is wrong, and if you ever need to talk you can always drop me a PM.

Appreciate it, thank you, just writing it down helped a lot.

It's good to know we've all got the support of others as well.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.