Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1025911 times)

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #8680 on: January 20, 2013, 04:00:41 pm »
Good to hear that you've taken stock of things and decided to knock the booze on the head for good Andy. Sounds like you've reached the stage where you're ready to live a life without grog, good luck with the AA meetings and of course popping back in here for some friendly support/brutal abuse*  ;D

(*delete as appropriate)

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #8681 on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »
Rusty mate, you have been here since the very first pages of this car crash of a thread. You have offered advice and help to all and i hope you know that the brutal abuse is all well meant. I just want readers to know that as harsh as some advice is in here it is meant with the best of intentions and nothing but the posters best health in mind. This isnt aimed at you Rusty, just wanna clarify thats all my good man.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8682 on: January 21, 2013, 05:20:25 pm »
Rusty mate, you have been here since the very first pages of this car crash of a thread. You have offered advice and help to all and i hope you know that the brutal abuse is all well meant. I just want readers to know that as harsh as some advice is in here it is meant with the best of intentions and nothing but the posters best health in mind. This isnt aimed at you Rusty, just wanna clarify thats all my good man.

Yeah totally understood! During my time in here I've also dished some home truths out (IIRC to Paul mainly) but I haven't been through even a fraction of what several others on here have, so I don't personally feel qualified to give too much of it out.

And I have to say that of the whole of RAWK this thread is still the one I keep most of an eye out for (even though it's better when it disappears, as that means everyone is doing well hence not posting)
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8683 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »
Well, i wrote loads for me book and then deleted it. Leo was right, its a bastard writing a book. That Harry Potter tart had it easy, hers was made up.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8684 on: January 24, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »
Well, i wrote loads for me book and then deleted it. Leo was right, its a bastard writing a book. That Harry Potter tart had it easy, hers was made up.

shame you deleted it
you sound like a proper artist, destroying the work you dont like instead putting out any old shit like everyone else seems to do

must be quite weird writing out your past and then reading it back to yourself in the cold sober light of day

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8685 on: January 26, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »
Weird? I guess it is although its actually been very hard as ive remembered things id long forgotten and hoped were long buried.  There are some things i cant ever put in writing , no matter how big a thing they were but im working on it. Ill do a fly-by of those times and i guess you will get the drift of it all when its on paper. I do appreciate all your help btw. means a lot.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #8686 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:16 pm »
shame you deleted it
It's his KLF moment.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8687 on: January 27, 2013, 08:10:09 am »
Whats a KLF moment Jim ?

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8688 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
They the band that burnt a million quid?
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8689 on: January 27, 2013, 12:47:38 pm »
Ah right. Why? Then again i guess ive pissed up the equivalent up the wall so who am i talk ;)

I binned it because it didnt come across as coming from me, its hard to explain but it seemed insipid. I dont do normal, i do rock bottom or off the wall it seems most of the time. If i going to do something daft i make sure i do it right, not the best way to do things but its the way i am. Saying that, trying to write this book i cant be daft and just scribble it down and stick it together with ketchup and sling it at the masses. Its the first time i can get my version of events out in one go, so its got to be right. For me. I hope that doesnt sound selfish but its the way i think ive got to do it.

Question/ poll. i need to focus on one incident or thing thats happened and i know you guys have read a lot and i dont wanna trawl through this thread to remind myself what ive said, so would any of you good people care to mention something that sticks in your mind about what ive posted over the years. I was thinking if i get a reminder etc i can work through them one at a time as otherwise ill be bouncing around from one thing to another like a monkey on speed and it will just be a mess.

Cheers all.

Carlos Mandingo the 3rd. Heir to the Fires of Babylon and 3rd in line for the Throne of Taser.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8690 on: February 4, 2013, 02:27:57 am »
I had to get to page 3 of the threads before I found this thread this time, so I guess we are doing something right

Im finding quitting this time so much easier than coming off a major amount of booze that I did in 2009. This time I wasnt drinking all that much and making the choice to not drink has been pretty easy. I am hitting the ice cream pretty hard though. Even though I am living alone with no one to question me but myself, Im finding it very easy.

I had a funny experience the other night. I had a long day and didnt get in until 9. I did a home work out until about 10 and then was ready to sit in front of the TV for a bit. I had forgotten I had run out of ice cream. Then I was quite pleased with myself as I thought I had a back up emergency ice cream in the downstairs freezer. Go down there. No ice cream. Next thought is to look at the time. Its now about 10.20PM.

I think the local store doesnt close until 11 and I can be there in no time. So thats what I do.

Its funny how the same pattern within an addiction plays itself out with booze and then in ice cream.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #8691 on: February 4, 2013, 11:43:02 pm »
I had to get to page 3 of the threads before I found this thread this time, so I guess we are doing something right

Im finding quitting this time so much easier than coming off a major amount of booze that I did in 2009. This time I wasnt drinking all that much and making the choice to not drink has been pretty easy. I am hitting the ice cream pretty hard though. Even though I am living alone with no one to question me but myself, Im finding it very easy.

I had a funny experience the other night. I had a long day and didnt get in until 9. I did a home work out until about 10 and then was ready to sit in front of the TV for a bit. I had forgotten I had run out of ice cream. Then I was quite pleased with myself as I thought I had a back up emergency ice cream in the downstairs freezer. Go down there. No ice cream. Next thought is to look at the time. Its now about 10.20PM.

I think the local store doesnt close until 11 and I can be there in no time. So thats what I do.

Its funny how the same pattern within an addiction plays itself out with booze and then in ice cream.

Well at least you won't get shitfaced and fuck things up whilst on the ice cream ;) ;D (well hopefully not!!)
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8692 on: February 5, 2013, 01:00:37 am »
nah mate, totally out of any trouble
i live a pretty simple life
just me and the dogs except for the time my kiddo stays with me

Offline Viffer

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8693 on: February 5, 2013, 09:28:36 am »
As someone who only gave up drinking every evening about 9 months ago (I now have a drink about once a week, but recognise that I still have a problem with alcohol and probably always will), I think the main reason that people drink (beyond sporadically and recreationally) is fear.

After 2 or 3 drinks, I am exactly the person I would like to be all the time - confident, gregarious, good-humoured without being leary, alert, animated and just feeling good about who I am and where I am.

Soon after, I am drunk. Slumped in a seat, focused on negative things, unwilling to participate, boring and likely to repeat anecdotes that I have told the same person several times before. But I'll keep drinking, until I am ready to sleep. The first 3 drinks are always gone in less than an hour.

The next day I will be hung-over. I won't have slept more than 4 hours, but I need to be up and doing something. I'm nauseous, paranoid and my mind will often go back to an innocuous event many years ago, where I felt I made a complete tit of myself and wince physically with deep intakes of breath.

The hang-over is the real me, it's just amplified. I'm never sick, don't get headaches, but I cannot just get myself back to sleep and let my body recover. They are horrendous days, where I feel that I am going to die or go mad.

Alcohol takes away the fear, only to return it with interest, the next day. I don't care if you are a shrinking violet, or a red-blooded alpha male. If your drinking is out of control, then fear is usually behind it.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8694 on: February 5, 2013, 08:04:39 pm »
I disagree. Its not fear at all.Its not the same for everyone so it would be wrong to say its fear. Disassociation from life maybe as it gives you a break ( not in reality ) but to say fear is the base reason for it is well far of the mark. I have no reason to feel that posters in here have some fear complex.

As for me, fear has not been the reason im back in here. My daughter has started to self harm and im fucking tamping. I only found out today but its been going on a few weeks. Her Mum didnt bother to tell me, my daughter did. Im not thinking about drinking but im rapidly losing my temper with the fact i wasnt made aware. After everything ive had to fucking deal with ive been left out of the loop. I know more about this fucker than ANYONE in my family but ive been circumvented. Not a happy chappy. Im stuck between my daughter asking if she can stay at mine cos of bullying at school and her mum. I know what id wanna do but i cant do it as it would cause trouble. Her mum is being a c*nt. Hard nosed fat c*nt.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #8695 on: February 5, 2013, 11:14:14 pm »
I disagree. Its not fear at all.Its not the same for everyone so it would be wrong to say its fear. Disassociation from life maybe as it gives you a break ( not in reality ) but to say fear is the base reason for it is well far of the mark. I have no reason to feel that posters in here have some fear complex.

As for me, fear has not been the reason im back in here. My daughter has started to self harm and im fucking tamping. I only found out today but its been going on a few weeks. Her Mum didnt bother to tell me, my daughter did. Im not thinking about drinking but im rapidly losing my temper with the fact i wasnt made aware. After everything ive had to fucking deal with ive been left out of the loop. I know more about this fucker than ANYONE in my family but ive been circumvented. Not a happy chappy. Im stuck between my daughter asking if she can stay at mine cos of bullying at school and her mum. I know what id wanna do but i cant do it as it would cause trouble. Her mum is being a c*nt. Hard nosed fat c*nt.

Hope you get it sorted with your daughter mate. We went through the ringer with Jess this time last year but we are seeing a major turnaround now....good luck mate.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Viffer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8696 on: February 6, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »

Maybe in your case, you see it as a justified reward, or compensation, when life treats you bad? Like, you think your doing the right thing by staying dry at the moment, but the people around you aren't being fair and aren't behaving responsibly, so you feel that you shouldn't have to either?

I know that, for me, there have been times when I have found myself going out to buy booze in the evening, feeling that the only reason I am doing it is because X happened and that I had been doing fine until this. I get it into my head that, while it's not good to buy drink tonight, it's understandable, given what has just happened and the whole thing is beyond my control.

The problem here is that life will just continue to throw you curveballs, every couple of weeks, and the trip back to the off-licence is innevitable.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8697 on: February 6, 2013, 02:05:08 pm »
I disagree. Its not fear at all.Its not the same for everyone so it would be wrong to say its fear. Disassociation from life maybe as it gives you a break ( not in reality )

Absolutely this...

My problems were that i had a dissociative identity disorder.... i had no idea who "Alex" was. I went to the doctors and we did this exercise where i needed to write down things that represented me - i could barely write anything.

That led to depression, which led to self medicating on all and anything that took my mind away from the reality.

I lost everything because of this. I recently learned that my ex (of 10 years) whom kicked me out because of this "illness" and it's subsequent side effects has now shacked up with someone i considered a mate for around 20 years.

So i've taken a couple days off work - back in tomorrow. But right now i feel like i'm not coping well. I no longer have an identity problem, hence not depressed, but i've reverted back to form and am drinking to numb the pain of recent news.

First night i learned about this development, i did a load of exercise, got my boxing gloves out and twatted fuck out of a pillar i have in my apartment. But it didn't stop the stomach churning... so since i've booked two days off work and have drank myself to ignore it.

I know it's not helpful... and i also know i can knock it on the head tomorrow when i go back to work. But in the abscence of friends and family (feeling betrayed) - ive turned back to the old best friend - alcohol.

I guess tomorrow should be my wake up call, knock it on the head and crack on.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8698 on: February 6, 2013, 05:04:50 pm »
RG,

Your pattern seems fairly familiar to me. I over drank at home to get rid of my work related stress and to absolute put me under so I could sleep. On a bad day I would go the supermarket on the way home, buy beer and port and start drinking straight away. Then be in bed by 9.30 and tomorrow was a new day. Getting drunk is not helpful.

I see it is still affecting you in a negative way. Your ex moved out and now you are missing work it. You still sound to me like you are suffering from some depression.

Its a real struggle to calm it down especially when you have so many other things going on.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8699 on: February 6, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »
Have to agree Andy. But i can also see why RG  is doing it. Normality makes you think.  A few beers and it all seems easier. Its not but it seems so, and therein lies the need/attraction of alcohol. It gives u a time out from real life. It is an excuse but there is also a mean to an end there......

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8700 on: February 6, 2013, 11:12:45 pm »
My own worst enemy is my thoughts.

Am a deep thinker, and also in touch with my emotions. Everything is black and white with me... so when events are black, i struggle to cope with that - as me mates and family are not on my doorstep.

So i revert back to form. I've a self destruct button that is far too easy to find when situation presents itself.

Alcohol is a 'get away from it all' solution. Because my head is working overtime... i need an alternate solution. Or ideally, what i desperately want, a partner to make me happy. When i'm happy, i'm good...

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8701 on: February 7, 2013, 12:02:10 am »
I gooooot sunshine on a cloudy day! I gooot so much honey...

What can make me feel this way?

I know daft lyrics - I wanna be able to say "fuck her off that fucking idiot" - but am struggling to do so.

Fuck it, sleep is prolly what i need now.

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8702 on: February 7, 2013, 02:21:00 pm »
My own worst enemy is my thoughts.

Am a deep thinker, and also in touch with my emotions. Everything is black and white with me... so when events are black, i struggle to cope with that - as me mates and family are not on my doorstep.

So i revert back to form. I've a self destruct button that is far too easy to find when situation presents itself.

Alcohol is a 'get away from it all' solution. Because my head is working overtime... i need an alternate solution. Or ideally, what i desperately want, a partner to make me happy. When i'm happy, i'm good...

Ive said it somewhere else in this thread

the biggest enemy of an alkie is boredom

alice cooper started playing 36 holes of golf of a day so he could have something to do

not exactly an example applicable to everyone, but you get the idea

you have to a plan of what to do. set your self a project

if you are living alone and coming home and sitting in front of the Tv on your own, I think its very hard to stay sober

Offline Viffer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8703 on: February 7, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »

Would agree with this, also. Most bad situations I have got myself into have been when I got hammered, but the best times I can remember have also involved me getting drunk.

Life is pretty dull, without the sauce. I don't know how anyone can have a night out without it (or something else). People tell you how great you are going to feel, when you stop drinking, but it isn't really true. You just feel nothing at all.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8704 on: February 7, 2013, 04:30:54 pm »

Would agree with this, also. Most bad situations I have got myself into have been when I got hammered, but the best times I can remember have also involved me getting drunk.

Life is pretty dull, without the sauce. I don't know how anyone can have a night out without it (or something else). People tell you how great you are going to feel, when you stop drinking, but it isn't really true. You just feel nothing at all.

I totally agree with this. I have not found being sober to be this enlightening fantastic experience. Its pretty dull and funless.

Im sure I will grow into it more. Life is easier and less stress but I definitely have much less of a zest for life.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8705 on: February 7, 2013, 08:12:44 pm »
I have to agree. Being sober left me cold as it were. I did ok for 3 1/2 years but its different now. Im happy now, working hard and enjoying a beer after work. Its nice, and thats all i wanted. To go through the day not needing a beer but earning my choice of leisure time and yes, i choose beer. 3-4 and im done. I go home and listen to music. Ill do something ive not done before and ill congratulate myself. Its not perfect but within writing this book ive realised i have actually done well. I dont want back slaps etc, but i see im in a better place than a couple of years back. Im still a c*nt but im a better c*nt. All i wanted was ' normality ' as judged my the general populace, thats it and i think im getting there. Yes, its a fine line but i really think im doing well. I can get in the van at 5.30am and drive non stop to 7pm and i may look forward to a beer after ive stopped i no longer NEED one. I think its a step anyway.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #8706 on: February 7, 2013, 11:14:34 pm »
I have to agree. Being sober left me cold as it were. I did ok for 3 1/2 years but its different now. Im happy now, working hard and enjoying a beer after work. Its nice, and thats all i wanted. To go through the day not needing a beer but earning my choice of leisure time and yes, i choose beer. 3-4 and im done. I go home and listen to music. Ill do something ive not done before and ill congratulate myself. Its not perfect but within writing this book ive realised i have actually done well. I dont want back slaps etc, but i see im in a better place than a couple of years back. Im still a c*nt but im a better c*nt. All i wanted was ' normality ' as judged my the general populace, thats it and i think im getting there. Yes, its a fine line but i really think im doing well. I can get in the van at 5.30am and drive non stop to 7pm and i may look forward to a beer after ive stopped i no longer NEED one. I think its a step anyway.

I agree mate. You are a c*nt... ;D :wave

PS. You're doing really great. Keep it going!

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #8707 on: February 7, 2013, 11:29:59 pm »
Ive said it somewhere else in this thread

alice cooper started playing 36 holes of golf of a day so he could have something to do

not exactly an example applicable to everyone, but you get the idea

you have to a plan of what to do. set your self a project

if you are living alone and coming home and sitting in front of the Tv on your own, I think its very hard to stay sober

Andy would you say the drink also makes you bored though too. I know when I was in the midst of addiction using made me bored because my hobbies and interests went out the window, I cut myself off from everyone and people didn't want to be around me. I didn't want to be doing anything and found opportunities stopped coming my way and I was not interested in any opportunities either.

I found when I stopped using life became interesting again.
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #8708 on: February 8, 2013, 12:31:56 am »
I find the people who consume a lot of alcohol on a daily basis to be really, really boring. There's this myth that if you don't drink a lot, or in fact at all you're boring. It's the opposite in my experience. I'm not saying it's black and white, but that's genuinely my view.

There's a few lads that come into our pub every day, drink like 8 or 9 pints, and maybe 4 or 5 vodka's too. The thing that strikes me most is just how dull they are. They consistently repeat themselves. They have no opinion on anything apart from drink. It's quite sad really.

I remember my mate coming into the bar one day to ask me if I wanted to go see a film after I was finished work. On hearing this, one of the aforementioned 'lads' turned round and went 'Watch a film? Are you gay?!' This fella probably couldn't tell you the last film he'd seen. I'm not saying everyone should like movies. I like them, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. What does perplex me is how someone can judge you for wanting to go and see a film! Again, I'm not for one minute saying all alcoholics are like this, just my own personal experience.

You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8709 on: February 8, 2013, 01:19:21 am »
Andy would you say the drink also makes you bored though too. I know when I was in the midst of addiction using made me bored because my hobbies and interests went out the window, I cut myself off from everyone and people didn't want to be around me. I didn't want to be doing anything and found opportunities stopped coming my way and I was not interested in any opportunities either.

I found when I stopped using life became interesting again.

my personal experience was not that. when I was drinking I had a true zest for life and was able to push myself very hard. drink gave me a real cutting edge. i was able to push myself very hard at work and also physically played a lot of soccer and exercised. also I looked forward to socializing with other drinkers on the weekend

now that I dont drink I have much more of a 'whatever' attitude and dont push myself at work and find it hard to get off my ass to exercise. I feel exercise can be my salvation as I know once you reach a physical point you really start to feel great, but Im a long way from there.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8710 on: February 8, 2013, 01:21:47 am »
I find the people who consume a lot of alcohol on a daily basis to be really, really boring. There's this myth that if you don't drink a lot, or in fact at all you're boring. It's the opposite in my experience. I'm not saying it's black and white, but that's genuinely my view.

There's a few lads that come into our pub every day, drink like 8 or 9 pints, and maybe 4 or 5 vodka's too. The thing that strikes me most is just how dull they are. They consistently repeat themselves. They have no opinion on anything apart from drink. It's quite sad really.

I remember my mate coming into the bar one day to ask me if I wanted to go see a film after I was finished work. On hearing this, one of the aforementioned 'lads' turned round and went 'Watch a film? Are you gay?!' This fella probably couldn't tell you the last film he'd seen. I'm not saying everyone should like movies. I like them, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. What does perplex me is how someone can judge you for wanting to go and see a film! Again, I'm not for one minute saying all alcoholics are like this, just my own personal experience.

I think thats a pretty narrow sub set. Ive worked bars and social clubs and the hardcore who hang out in there a lot can be a hopeless bunch. You have to wonder whats so bad at home that they are in the pub all the time

my drinking was at home for enjoyment, for home as a  major stress relief and self medication to make the day end sooner but the times I had with my friends drinking were some of the best times of my life

of course, I have nothing to compare it to as I only stopped the first time at 41

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8711 on: February 8, 2013, 03:45:09 am »
3-4 and im done.

Pardon the negativity - really don't mean to sound naggy or anything - but you seem to be creeping up there in terms of volume. You're doing well and all but I can't be the only one who keeps seeing you say stuff like that and gets a little concerned.

Would you get the shakes if you had zero, or are you totally over that physical side of things?

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8712 on: February 8, 2013, 03:52:24 am »
Pardon the negativity - really don't mean to sound naggy or anything - but you seem to be creeping up there in terms of volume. You're doing well and all but I can't be the only one who keeps seeing you say stuff like that and gets a little concerned.

Would you get the shakes if you had zero, or are you totally over that physical side of things?

I had the same thought to be honest

It used to be 1 or 2 but i didnt want to say anything as a nag or whatever

control is one issue and Im pretty sure Carl is over the shakes stage

if you can drink with no negative affects is key, but I do agree, the stated numbers do seem higher than before

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8713 on: February 8, 2013, 06:58:50 am »
No shakes. No walking weird. No sweats. No worrying about where the next drink is. No time or energy to get pissed or back to the stage i was. No desire to either.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8714 on: February 8, 2013, 07:01:50 am »
No shakes. No walking weird. No sweats. No worrying about where the next drink is. No time or energy to get pissed or back to the stage i was. No desire to either.
You're no longer drinking to forget or numb pain or just because you physically have to is the impression I get.

Is that right?

I don't think there are too many slaps on the back on this thread mate, just a quiet nod to be thankful you're still with after all you've coped with.

Keep writing the book!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8715 on: February 8, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »
I think Carl has come a million miles. No longer what you describe as the drink to forget type but has a more normal relationship with booze.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8716 on: February 8, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »
Id love for that to be the case. Personally I think it might be possible. But every expert in the world disagrees, don't they? I mean carl wasn't just overdoing it, he was literally in a death spiral. Just 6 months ago or so. The odds really are stacked against him maintaining normal drinking patterns

Offline Viffer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8717 on: February 8, 2013, 05:34:12 pm »

I'd be careful patting yourself on the back, while the can is still more than 3/4 full, or you might spill your bevvy.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8718 on: February 8, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »
' Experts ' they may be lauded as, but until they have been in my shoes and done what i, and many others in here have done, then their opinion or verdict means shit to me. A lot of people disagree with me on things, dont make them right. If you want an expert on alcoholism come talk to an alcoholic, not some pen pushing doc who follows government guidelines and then uses stats to back up his/her argument.  You may be right about them disagreeing but as science and life has taught us, the ' standards ' can and will be broken. I agree i was at a very bad low a year ago, but ive got a lot sorted since then. Everyone is different with their addictions, im drinking still but its not a massive difference to a lot of people. Yes i am sure that will be touted as a classic alcoholic response but to be honest, ive never followed the consensus with things like this ;)

Yea TW thats it mate, i drank as i had/needed to. I had no purpose or drive, i had a lot going on, i was a mess. Im trying to get back on my feet. I did my rehab , a few times . Its not an overnight fix but i do think im working towards a better place, you may think otherwise but im personally a lot happier as i am right now.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #8719 on: February 8, 2013, 07:25:01 pm »
If you want an expert on alcoholism come talk to an alcoholic

To be fair I think the experts being spoken of was actually referring in a large part to recovering alcoholics who share that belief.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?