Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5781529 times)

Offline Wengerscoat

• Main Stander
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #51680 on: January 4, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
I still think he's awful, very rarely see him have an impressive game to be honest. Seems to snatch at chance after chance

Whens the last time he had 2 good games in a row prior to the last 2?

He's a poor player, maybe he will have a few moments in a game but that's it. I am sure once Emery gets his team in Iwobi would be moved on.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51681 on: January 4, 2019, 03:39:11 pm »
He's a poor player, maybe he will have a few moments in a game but that's it. I am sure once Emery gets his team in Iwobi would be moved on.

I feel like he's been 'promising' for about four years now.  Seems to have developed genuinely early in the season but is still incredibly inconsistent.  It's frustrating, he's got such a good sense of speed and balance, close control and a good build for bullying defenders - but can't seem to find any composure at the moment.  Why on earth he was kept over Gnabry who is now starting for Bayern I will never know.

Funnily enough I doubt Emery will move him on any time soon, he's young, may yet improve and the defence needs as much investment as possible with as many as three or four additions to the XI over the next two seasons.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51682 on: January 4, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »
Ramsey looks to be joining Juve. He’s going to struggle to get a game over there

Only Ronaldo will earn more so I think that's unlikely.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51683 on: January 7, 2019, 05:56:00 am »
Iwobi has turned into a very good defensive winger.  As a sub for Mane/Salah when leading he would probably do wonders under Klopp.  Not that most Arsenal fans would have any inkling of what "defending" entails.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #51684 on: January 7, 2019, 06:15:47 am »
Iwobi has turned into a very good defensive winger.  As a sub for Mane/Salah when leading he would probably do wonders under Klopp.  Not that most Arsenal fans would have any inkling of what "defending" entails.

Depends how old they are ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51685 on: January 7, 2019, 08:39:12 am »
Iwobi has turned into a very good defensive winger.  As a sub for Mane/Salah when leading he would probably do wonders under Klopp. Not that most Arsenal fans would have any inkling of what "defending" entails.

Nonsense, we've seen loads of other teams do it!  ;D

As for Iwobi, despite the flak he gets he has improved a lot this season. He did have a bit of a dip in form a month or so back but he's played decent again the last few weeks. His next step is to keep improving his end product, and show he can do it on a more consistent basis. Not sure he'll ever be a world beater, but he's a good player to have in the squad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51686 on: January 7, 2019, 11:24:52 am »

If we could get Atsu too, they’d be the final pieces to the jigsaw
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51687 on: January 11, 2019, 06:09:36 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #51688 on: January 11, 2019, 06:30:01 pm »
Ozil the hacker? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46840461

Looks like he went hiding at a critical time, so seems legit.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51689 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:28 pm »
Did they really announce that they created some Loan czar position as a way to justify that they could only do loans this January window?  Which is also not new by the way, pretty sure LFC has someone working as a loan coordinator as an Academy director is way to fucking busy to be researching every other club for loan destinations.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51690 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:19 pm »
Did they really announce that they created some Loan czar position as a way to justify that they could only do loans this January window?  Which is also not new by the way, pretty sure LFC has someone working as a loan coordinator as an Academy director is way to fucking busy to be researching every other club for loan destinations.

Can't see any announcement mate, have I missed something?

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51691 on: January 11, 2019, 09:41:28 pm »
Can't see any announcement mate, have I missed something?

No, I guess I overstated "announcement".  More that it was used in some articles about their January plans.  Just found it odd.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #51692 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:07 pm »
Imo they should clear out most of their current defenders [Monreal,Koscielny,Mustafi,Bellerin] They can't get the Wenger defending out of them. Kolasinac is an ok player but if they are serious about being contenders of any sort, he wouldn't be their starting fullback a good squad player.

In midfield only Torreira and that young lad Gonduzi [sp?] should be around, everyone else I'd ship out.

Id get rid of Ozil.

Emery will need time and money to improve this side

How do they get rid of them? None of them are going to a better club, none will be paid more if they move.

They're stuck with the balsa-wood for the length of their contracts.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51693 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:48 am »
https://youtu.be/GuBjr3XPS4w

Robbie’s gonna have to buy his wife another kitchen after this

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51694 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:12 am »
No, I guess I overstated "announcement".  More that it was used in some articles about their January plans.  Just found it odd.

Just thought I'd missed something. We used to be at the forefront of everything 20 years ago, but it now seems we are playing catch up with a lot of things. This is a club that thought it was a good idea to send Serge Gnabry to Pulis & West Brom remember.

How do they get rid of them? None of them are going to a better club, none will be paid more if they move.

They're stuck with the balsa-wood for the length of their contracts.

Cech, Koscielny, Lichsteiner & Monreal are all out of contract in the summer & if all leave as probably should would free up £350k-£400k a week in wages (which is our main issue just now).

Bellerin & Koscielny are good enough I think as wing backs, big question marks over them, especially the latter if they can play in a back 4. Playing Football Manager, id see if there's a way of swapping Ramsey for Benatia this window, & try & sell Mustafi & Chambers next window to try & raise funds for the gaps in the squad.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #51695 on: January 12, 2019, 10:57:24 am »
https://youtu.be/GuBjr3XPS4w

Robbie’s gonna have to buy his wife another kitchen after this

Top post in the comments section  ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51696 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:31 am »
Interesting stat for Arsenal's game at West Ham today.

In the 5 meetings that Emery has faced a Pellegrini side in an away game (all in Spain), he's never won.

Should be a good tactical battle.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #51697 on: January 12, 2019, 11:34:50 am »
Also, Emery looks like stevie janowski
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51698 on: January 12, 2019, 02:37:46 pm »
Arsenal fan TV should be entertaining later on anyway.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #51699 on: January 12, 2019, 02:41:59 pm »
A lot of rebuilding needs doing in that Arsenal squad to be truthful. The attitude of some of their players was bad today, too easily going down staying on the floor looking sulky if they didn't get anything. The work ethic between the two sides looked wide apart today. A lot for Emery to ponder I'd say.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #51700 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »
A lot of rebuilding needs doing in that Arsenal squad to be truthful. The attitude of some of their players was bad today, too easily going down staying on the floor looking sulky if they didn't get anything. The work ethic between the two sides looked wide apart today. A lot for Emery to ponder I'd say.

Ooh you ARE awful.....

But I like you.....
Better looking than Samie.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #51701 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:46 pm »
Ooh you ARE awful.....

But I like you.....

Does Emery ponder the board?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51702 on: January 12, 2019, 06:18:04 pm »
New manager sheen has well and truly worn off on these.

Next up: OGS.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51703 on: January 12, 2019, 06:27:53 pm »
New manager sheen has well and truly worn off on these.

Next up: OGS.

Next up: HDB (horrible disgusting bastard)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51704 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:01 pm »
The only summer signing that is any good is Torreria. Rest of them rubbish.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51705 on: January 12, 2019, 06:33:01 pm »
Like I was saying months ago, as soon as the finishing pixie deserted them then they were going to struggle. 

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51706 on: January 12, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »
There were lots of people comparing Emery's situation to Klopp's but I think a more apt comparison is to when Rodgers took over. They only have 1 one world class attacker. 4-5 good squad players and few promising youngsters. They have far too many average players.

They will really need to be clever in the transfer market or splash the cash if they want to get back to competing at the top. We were somewhat lucky in the sense that we got Coutinho and Sturridge for a pittance and Sterling was fast-tracked to the first team. We bought some crap but big sales of Suarez, Coutinho, Sterling helped fund some other great players.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51707 on: January 12, 2019, 07:02:22 pm »

Someone on twitter wrote that it's like the Arsenal board saw the Liverpool 13/14 team and thought "let's bankrupt ourselves trying to copy it"  ;D. But rather than embracing the ridiculous lopsided nature of the squad and making the best of it like Rodgers did, Emery is opting for a more pragmatic approach which just doesn't work with this squad. He'd be better off sticking Ozil behind their strikers and going all out attack in every game.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51708 on: January 12, 2019, 07:10:07 pm »
Someone on twitter wrote that it's like the Arsenal board saw the Liverpool 13/14 team and thought "let's bankrupt ourselves trying to copy it"  ;D. But rather than embracing the ridiculous lopsided nature of the squad and making the best of it like Rodgers did, Emery is opting for a more pragmatic approach which just doesn't work with this squad. He'd be better off sticking Ozil behind their strikers and going all out attack in every game.

I mean in terms of quality, they definitely have some but need better wide players to be free scoring. In some departments, they are better than 13/14 team. I mean we had Aly Cissoko and Flanno as full backs for long periods.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51709 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:26 pm »
You're giving me a fever for the flava
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #51710 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:56 pm »
There were lots of people comparing Emery's situation to Klopp's but I think a more apt comparison is to when Rodgers took over. They only have 1 one world class attacker. 4-5 good squad players and few promising youngsters. They have far too many average players.

They will really need to be clever in the transfer market or splash the cash if they want to get back to competing at the top. We were somewhat lucky in the sense that we got Coutinho and Sturridge for a pittance and Sterling was fast-tracked to the first team. We bought some crap but big sales of Suarez, Coutinho, Sterling helped fund some other great players.

But isn't that why they ARE comparing it to Klopp taking over? When he took over, the team had 1 star player in Coutinho, some good solid experienced players in Hendo, Clyne, Milner, couple good younger players like Can and Gomez, but far too many underforming or average players. Actually, you could arque in Auba, Lacazette, Ramsey, Mkhi and Özil, Arsenal do have a core of more attacking players that a good attacking coach could get a lot out of right now, but Emery has fallen out with one of them, and another is leaving plus starts on the bench more often than not, and another is injured!

But yes, they do need to be clever in the transfer market - just like Liverpool had to be when Klopp took over. There was a lot of trimming of an imbalanced and really bloated squad needed, which was done expertly over 2 or 3 windows, and then some really methodical squad building went on - initially at not a massive cost either.

I am intrigued to see what business they do in the summer. Sven Mislintat came in with a big reputation from Dortmund, we shall see how he lives up to that.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #51711 on: January 12, 2019, 10:42:16 pm »

It’s not just the rebuilding, they will see as we have seen in the not too distant past that it’s also hard to keep hold of your better players while your rebuilding which means your perpetually rebuilding.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51712 on: January 12, 2019, 10:44:37 pm »
They remind me of us 2009-2013.

Their good players are very good.

Their not so good players are utter shite.

Feel bad for the two lads upfront.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #51713 on: January 12, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
They remind me of us 2009-2013.

Their good players are very good.

Their not so good players are utter shite.

Feel bad for the two lads upfront.

I’d add two or three years to that mate!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #51714 on: January 12, 2019, 10:48:44 pm »
Like I was saying months ago, as soon as the finishing pixie deserted them then they were going to struggle. 

Jeffers left years ago mate.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51715 on: January 12, 2019, 10:53:10 pm »
They are in a right mess. No quality anywhere but up top and even then Aubameyang and Lacazette are hardly without faults. Aubameyang is good and will score plenty but it’s also pretty clear to see why the top clubs have stayed away. If money is tight they are probably better off selling one and signing a winger.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51716 on: January 12, 2019, 11:00:52 pm »
They are in a right mess. No quality anywhere but up top and even then Aubameyang and Lacazette are hardly without faults. Aubameyang is good and will score plenty but it’s also pretty clear to see why the top clubs have stayed away. If money is tight they are probably better off selling one and signing a winger.

Aubameyang is great. Let's not kid ourselves he's just had a few bad games. His goal record speaks for itself.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #51717 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:25 pm »

they didn't steer clear cos he wasn't great though, cos he is a really good player.

They steered clear cos at 56 mill or whatever it was, he cost too much for a player his age and skillset. Plus, he acted like a prize dick later in his time at Dortmund, which likely put a few off.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51718 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:40 pm »
Aubameyang is really good but I think he's a player you want to put the cherry on the cake, rather than be the cake itself. He doesn't do a whole lot outside the penalty area and if you've got chronic issues getting the ball into dangerous areas that can be a problem.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51719 on: January 12, 2019, 11:11:48 pm »
they didn't steer clear cos he wasn't great though, cos he is a really good player.

They did though, borussin.