Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12362909 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #103360 on: May 24, 2021, 09:55:26 pm »
Btw, Koumetio is an incredible physical specimen, and he looks like a Rolls Royce bringing the ball forward. But notwithstanding his age and inexperience, he’s just not a natural defender, and his naivety is stark at times.

This can happen when you're scouting for certain attributes (pace, power, physicality, comfortable on the ball) over natural defensive strengths. With Van Dijk we knew we were getting the full package and with a youngster you look to work on the defensive side, knowing the player has the natural physique.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #103361 on: May 24, 2021, 09:55:47 pm »
It would undoubtedly. But on the night the better team won, so no complaints.

Btw, Koumetio is an incredible physical specimen, and he looks like a Rolls Royce bringing the ball forward. But notwithstanding his age and inexperience, he’s just not a natural defender, and his naivety is stark at times.

I can't make my mind up about Koumetio at the moment. He's had a few mistakes this season, but at this level its part of the learning experience. I think next season will be more interesting to see how much he has learnt and progressed going forward. I wonder about the hyping up of him, not all players manage to adapt to that. Anyway, time is still on his side so we'll see.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103362 on: May 24, 2021, 09:57:35 pm »
The only reason there wasn't a referee in the tournament they didn't have one is because Mark Clattenberg was selected and he left the country before the world cup, the FA withdrew him and their replacement wasn't accepted as Clattemberg was wanted.

They did, but he's not

I don't think any of our referees should be anywhere near any international tournament, Oliver is probably the best of the bunch but none of them have been anywhere near good enough.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103363 on: May 24, 2021, 09:58:55 pm »
Koumetio is one of the most casual players I've ever seen.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103364 on: May 24, 2021, 10:02:02 pm »

He has been in the games I've seen, it's like he almost goes to sleep at stages in the game.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103365 on: May 24, 2021, 10:24:17 pm »

He reminds me a lot of Ojo, I remember the same observation being made about him.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #103366 on: May 24, 2021, 10:59:24 pm »
He reminds me a lot of Ojo, I remember the same observation being made about him.

I remember watching him in the 18's and thought he didn't have what it takes. Talent wise he did, but he'd only turn up for 10 minutes here and there, bearing in mind Sterling had only recently been dominating games at youth level.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103367 on: May 24, 2021, 11:04:05 pm »
Best one in the Championship according to Gerry. God help us.

Maybe read what I said before deciding to have a pop. Nowhere did I mention his quality, I said experienced.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103368 on: May 24, 2021, 11:05:47 pm »
Maybe read what I said before deciding to have a pop. Nowhere did I mention his quality, I said experienced.

I wasn't having a pop at you, just at the general standard of refereeing in all divisions.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #103369 on: May 24, 2021, 11:37:08 pm »
The Ref for the Final is an Assistant Ref in the Premier League

John Edmund C. Brooks
Born   1990 (age 30–31)
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England

He Ref'd 27 Championship matches and 1 League 2 match this past season.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #103370 on: May 25, 2021, 09:37:48 am »
Him and Kevin Friend

Can only apologise for both on behalf of Leicestershire
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #103371 on: May 25, 2021, 09:44:38 am »
The Ref for the Final is an Assistant Ref in the Premier League

John Edmund C. Brooks
Born   1990 (age 30–31)
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England

He Ref'd 27 Championship matches and 1 League 2 match this past season.

Nick will be along any moment to throw in a Pork Pie comment.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #103372 on: May 25, 2021, 02:53:27 pm »
Highly rated 16 year old scots striker Ethan Laidlaw is on trial with us this week. Has been with Hibs first team all year.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103373 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:43 am »
Conor Bradley has been called up to the senior Northern Ireland team for the first time, doesn't turn 18 until July.

He's had a good season for us, another promising RB on the books.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103374 on: May 26, 2021, 03:26:35 pm »
looking at the names in the transfer thread making my head a bit dizzy

anyone from the youth thats worth looking out for that has developed enough and might just might surprise us next season ala Nat

I do expect to see more minutes from curtis next season

Seems like our youth and seniors just doesn't tally in that we have not much pacy players that could replace salah and mane's threat

Our fullbacks can't step in to replace the role of robbo and trent too. both are a major step up but seems like our youth and seniors aren't really in sync.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103375 on: May 26, 2021, 04:00:59 pm »
looking at the names in the transfer thread making my head a bit dizzy

anyone from the youth thats worth looking out for that has developed enough and might just might surprise us next season ala Nat

I do expect to see more minutes from curtis next season

Seems like our youth and seniors just doesn't tally in that we have not much pacy players that could replace salah and mane's threat

Our fullbacks can't step in to replace the role of robbo and trent too. both are a major step up but seems like our youth and seniors aren't really in sync.

There are three getting talked up but the one is streets ahead of the others. Kaide Gordan, he has it all and still only 16 I wouldn't be surprised to see him fast tracked.

Balagizi potentially another but it's hard to tell because he is so much bigger and stronger the most of his opponents. The step up to u23s will tell a lot with him.

Musialowski is one being hyped because he scored a few nice goals as opposed to lots of goals this season. He reminds me of Patrick Roberts, great dribbler but that's about it. No real pace, hysicality or stamina.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #103376 on: May 26, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »
Proud of the lads....they gave it a real good go.

That Villa crowd need to have a good look at themselves though. Booing and cat calling have no place in a U18 game. These are just young lads for Gods sake. Would hope the Kop wouldn't behave like the Holte End.

They did the same in the league cup game. I remember the Shrewsbury fans doing the same in the FA cup.

Shameful really.

No way was their number 9 only 18. He's on his fourth marriage and mortgaged up to his ears that fella

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #103377 on: May 26, 2021, 04:09:51 pm »
Highly rated 16 year old scots striker Ethan Laidlaw is on trial with us this week. Has been with Hibs first team all year.

Has he been doing well in PE then

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103378 on: May 26, 2021, 04:11:23 pm »
I think plenty could surprise if given the minutes. None of Phillips, Neco or Rhys Williams were standout players like Trent or Jones at youth level, but in a settled side we've seen we can win with them playing.

Think you could drop someone like Bradley, Cain or Morton in and we'd be fine against most the league.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103379 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:59 pm »
I think plenty could surprise if given the minutes. None of Phillips, Neco or Rhys Williams were standout players like Trent or Jones at youth level, but in a settled side we've seen we can win with them playing.

Think you could drop someone like Bradley, Cain or Morton in and we'd be fine against most the league.

Utd had some really average players ex youth team players in their title winning teams on occasion. There's something to this.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103380 on: May 27, 2021, 09:43:32 am »
Gordon will shine in pre season. Think he will get some mins.

He is the standout talent.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103381 on: May 27, 2021, 09:51:50 am »
Gordon and Balagizi are the standouts for me, but as Chris says, there are a handful who could surprise.

It will be interesting to see if any of the youngsters are involved with the first-team early on in pre-season given some players will be missing because of the Euros and Copa America - I like Conor Bradley and Tyler Morton a lot, Glatzel (provided he's fit), Cain and Clarkson have all been involved previously so maybe they'll get some chances to impress this summer.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #103382 on: May 27, 2021, 12:37:59 pm »
Yep, looking forward to see who gets minutes in pre season. Could be none of them but I think the likes of Gordon/Balagizi/Musialowski could be with the first team. Don't think it can be overstated how much time they have for Gordon, given they paid a little chunk for him, and how he's looked a level above in the u18s and scored on his 23s debut. Even came off the bench in a Championship game, so very talented.

Will Frauendorf be playing with the 23s next season? He's some talent from what I've seen, goals in the youth cup semi and final. I think at some point he was out with an injury so didn't see the same football as a few others. The attacking talent in them groups is scary, just a big shame the likes of Stewart and Glatzel have suffered some serious injuries. Hope both can recover and find their feet again. Same thing happened to Brewster when he picked up a bastard of an injury that kept him out for about a year and really stunted his development.

Interested for next season to start for the youth groups, lots to be excited about. The u18s team was fantastic this year with a good league finish and great youth cup run. I assume most of them will be in the u23s group next season. Not sure about the talent below the 18s group who will come up and join that side. I remember that lad Ennis scored a hat-trick in the youth cup and he was only about 16, will he have any chance of being with them? Seems possible.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103383 on: May 27, 2021, 07:00:06 pm »
Yep, looking forward to see who gets minutes in pre season. Could be none of them but I think the likes of Gordon/Balagizi/Musialowski could be with the first team. Don't think it can be overstated how much time they have for Gordon, given they paid a little chunk for him, and how he's looked a level above in the u18s and scored on his 23s debut. Even came off the bench in a Championship game, so very talented.

Will Frauendorf be playing with the 23s next season? He's some talent from what I've seen, goals in the youth cup semi and final. I think at some point he was out with an injury so didn't see the same football as a few others. The attacking talent in them groups is scary, just a big shame the likes of Stewart and Glatzel have suffered some serious injuries. Hope both can recover and find their feet again. Same thing happened to Brewster when he picked up a bastard of an injury that kept him out for about a year and really stunted his development.

Interested for next season to start for the youth groups, lots to be excited about. The u18s team was fantastic this year with a good league finish and great youth cup run. I assume most of them will be in the u23s group next season. Not sure about the talent below the 18s group who will come up and join that side. I remember that lad Ennis scored a hat-trick in the youth cup and he was only about 16, will he have any chance of being with them? Seems possible.

I think we’d need to keep our hopes in check a bit for the U18s, at least for the first part of next season.  The cohort that is due to go up is one of the largest for years at 11 (Bradley, Corness, Hill, Kelly, Koumetio, Morton, Norris, ojrzynski, Quansah, Stewart, Wilson, Woltman).  Ok, Kelly, if he goes up is likely to be in that “training goalies” group that we heard about this year when wondering why LFC hoard so many goalies, given that he has rarely played in his 2 years in the U18s.  Also, I realise that some are up already.  But the problem as I see it is that the U23s seem to play less games (esp as we will be back in the uefa champions league youth tournie again now the senior team has qualified).  In addition to which the numbers there are piling up.  It’s easy to assume that many will go out on loan but we never really manage to get more than 5 or so non-first team squad out on loan.   There is already Bearne, Beck, Cain, Clarkson, o’rourke, Ritaccio, Savage, Boyes, Clayton, Dixon-B, Glatzel, Longstaff, Sharif, Lewis, Millar, Gallagher, Hardy.  I’ve not included Jaros, still out on loan, or arroyo, (no work permit.), or Walls or Larouci, guessing either released or won’t sign.  Now some others are likely to be let go (Gallagher and Hardy need to be allowed to go or get a loan as a minimum given their age).   Cain and Clarkson might still be with the firsts but unless it’s cup stuff, I can’t see them getting much Prem time so they may need to drop down.  I haven’t mentioned Gordon but he may automatically be U23s next season or he may be with the first team squad to train and drop down to play.

I don’t think we’ll be able to tell from pre season who is where as there are always more playing up to make up for squad members still having a break after internationals. 

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103384 on: May 27, 2021, 07:07:24 pm »
Yeah the u23s could probably do with a bit of a clear out in terms of players being released, loaned or sold. Was quite shocked Rittacio signed a new deal as to be honest I thought he'd already been let go.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103385 on: May 28, 2021, 12:10:26 pm »
rumours we are losing Ethan Ennis to Man Utd.
He scored 3 in the youth cup as a sub not seen since .

A shame but we do have a number of good young forwards at the club.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103386 on: May 28, 2021, 06:09:41 pm »

Would be a shame as he did look good when he played this year, might explain when he just disappeared as just assumed he was injured.

When are as the last time we lost someone like this at this sort of age, Louie Moulden?

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103387 on: May 28, 2021, 08:45:12 pm »

Question marks about them all with injuries. He has a far clearer pathway here than at United with Hughill and McNeill but I suppose the fact United don't have a salary cap for youngsters plays a part also.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103388 on: May 28, 2021, 08:57:25 pm »
Question marks about them all with injuries. He has a far clearer pathway here than at United with Hughill and McNeill but I suppose the fact United don't have a salary cap for youngsters plays a part also.
I mean we don't really have a salary cap it's just pr spin. We're not bringing in players like Gordon, Scanlon, Elliott, etc at acadmey age if we do.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103389 on: May 29, 2021, 10:35:46 am »

You know your stuff but not so sure about the pathway.  Maybe Hughill and McNeill will move up to their U23s, like Stewart with us.  So we have Musialowski in our front 3 next year, but not (yet) convinced that Blair and Cannonier are going to be nailed on starters for the U18s next year.  Also, bottom line, that other team do tend to bring through more from their academy than we do.  Just saying. 

I would be really disappointed to lose someone I haven’t seen that much of but looks very promising.  Cancan these kids move around freely at u16 with no fees involved? 

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103390 on: May 29, 2021, 01:39:25 pm »

Yeah looks like he’s off to UTD which is a blow really. A little shocked that we are losing talent to UTD and certainly in the forward line up when they have good youngsters there already.

Wonder if it’s because UTD tend to loan out their players that some think joining them gives them a better chance to make it in the game.

I don’t know but and confused by this one.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #103391 on: May 29, 2021, 02:33:12 pm »
Maybe he's just a UTD fan?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103392 on: May 29, 2021, 07:13:17 pm »
U18s signed off with a friendly win v Spurs today.  4-1.  Reported on the official site

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103393 on: May 29, 2021, 08:08:09 pm »
You know your stuff but not so sure about the pathway.  Maybe Hughill and McNeill will move up to their U23s, like Stewart with us.  So we have Musialowski in our front 3 next year, but not (yet) convinced that Blair and Cannonier are going to be nailed on starters for the U18s next year.  Also, bottom line, that other team do tend to bring through more from their academy than we do.  Just saying. 

I would be really disappointed to lose someone I haven’t seen that much of but looks very promising.  Cancan these kids move around freely at u16 with no fees involved? 
I meant pathway into the first team not into the U18 team.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103394 on: May 29, 2021, 08:20:24 pm »
U18s signed off with a friendly win v Spurs today.  4-1.  Reported on the official site
Gordon with another.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 11:14:07 pm by dakid »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #103395 on: May 30, 2021, 04:22:58 pm »
Gordon with another.
Scored one and won a penalty as well. Seems like he’s needed no adjustment time since joining us, a serious talent.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103396 on: May 30, 2021, 06:08:18 pm »
Success for a graduate (of sorts) of this thread today. Neil Critchley who managed the kids (including that Villa cup game) has got Blackpool promoted.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #103397 on: May 30, 2021, 06:11:36 pm »
Success for a graduate (of sorts) of this thread today. Neil Critchley who managed the kids (including that Villa cup game) has got Blackpool promoted.

A useful contact for loans next season?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103398 on: May 30, 2021, 07:05:32 pm »
A useful contact for loans next season?

Only took Ben this season and that wasn't for long due to injury.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:40:51 pm by Fordy »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #103399 on: May 30, 2021, 07:32:29 pm »
Really excited to see where Critchley goes with his career. Big job with Blackpool in the championship now, but he's already a hero there.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.