Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12376352 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #103200 on: May 24, 2021, 08:20:46 pm »
It looks like Carragher has coached the central defence. They seem incapable of moving with the ball - even when there's 10-15 yards to move into.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103201 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:05 pm »
Aside from Balagizi and Musialowski it’s worth mentioned Hill and Stewart who are out with long term injuries and Kaide Gordon who is cup tied. All 3 of those are really good players.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103202 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:07 pm »
Which one of these lads has potential do you think?

Not that I put too much emphasis on strong results in the youth (recall us winning the FA Youth Cup back in 2006 and 2007 which didn't yield any first team players shockingly enough).

But don't want to see the youth stagnate, would be grand to see a clutch of local lads coming through.

Yeah. The bolded should be remembered before anyone is hyper critical.

Am excited about Musialowski.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #103203 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:18 pm »
I can’t believe they’re playing so many long balls..

I am not as impressed with this coach to be honest.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103204 on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:17 pm »
I am not as impressed with this coach to be honest.

Same.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103205 on: May 24, 2021, 08:24:03 pm »
Of the mids and forwards, Balagizi seems to be the only one able to deal with their standard, at the moment.

Some of their players are excellent

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103206 on: May 24, 2021, 08:24:50 pm »
Chukwuemeka looks a great prospect, played 20 minutes against Chelsea yesterday and he's levels above this age group in terms of ability and physicality.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103207 on: May 24, 2021, 08:26:05 pm »
This batch of Villa youngsters remind me a little of Leeds in that their team is full of hard running, athletic players with very good technique.  Our smaller players aren't getting a kick here.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #103208 on: May 24, 2021, 08:26:25 pm »
The young lads have been taking finishing lessons from the first team...
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103209 on: May 24, 2021, 08:26:32 pm »
Bit tough watching this as the young Reds are getting outclassed in every department, can’t seem to get close to them. Even when we have the ball they just pinch it off us with ease. Tough on the lads but they’ll learn from this.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #103210 on: May 24, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
Not sure about Musialowski and even Balagizi isn’t a lock.  Odds are none will ever play for LFC but that’s nothing out of the ordinary.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103211 on: May 24, 2021, 08:26:55 pm »
Chukwuemeka looks a great prospect, played 20 minutes against Chelsea yesterday and he's levels above this age group in terms of ability and physicality.
Yeah he's an absolute star amongst a fair bit of attacking quality for them.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #103212 on: May 24, 2021, 08:28:06 pm »
I guess the one crumb of comfort is that the Villa keeper looks like he has an error in him, just need to get a few more chances created to test him.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103213 on: May 24, 2021, 08:28:45 pm »
Can't watch this, sadly, but with all of these "men against boys" comments...are Villa's youth squad just much better than ours or is there an actual average age difference?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103214 on: May 24, 2021, 08:28:55 pm »
Bring the German on.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103215 on: May 24, 2021, 08:29:19 pm »
Barry is wonderful, gotta be said

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103216 on: May 24, 2021, 08:29:59 pm »

Think the physicality makes such a difference still at this age group, we look a step below on that front

Ref has let a few go for them, should be a yellow for the foul on our keeper there

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103217 on: May 24, 2021, 08:30:21 pm »
Can't watch this, sadly, but with all of these "men against boys" comments...are Villa's youth squad just much better than ours or is there an actual average age difference?
Age gap won't be big either way I'd have thought. Villa have put together a really good side. Maybe only City are clear of them in terms.of talent for this competition

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103218 on: May 24, 2021, 08:30:25 pm »

They are more experienced some of the Villa players have had first team experience. We have some injuries but the team is younger, also I think our coach is more limited now which doesn't help.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103219 on: May 24, 2021, 08:31:16 pm »
Not sure about Musialowski and even Balagizi isn’t a lock.  Odds are none will ever play for LFC but that’s nothing out of the ordinary.

Disagree none will ever play for us.

Musialowski is still managing to show flashes in a game we're being utterly dominated which is a good sign.

Its hard to show a great deal in a game we are struggling in

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103220 on: May 24, 2021, 08:31:19 pm »
Think the physicality makes such a difference still at this age group, we look a step below on that front

Ref has let a few go for them, should be a yellow for the foul on our keeper there

It’s easy to use physicality as the reason but honestly they look technically better and better coached also.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #103221 on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:05 pm »
We need a game of two halves.

Our turn next half.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103222 on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:44 pm »
They've recruited really well at academy level - Chukwuemeka, Barry, Chrisene, Bogarde. Three or four of these could be knocking on the first-team door at Villa relatively soon, Barry in particular has been very highly-rated for a while.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103223 on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:58 pm »
We look poorly coached it has to be said.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103224 on: May 24, 2021, 08:33:00 pm »
Can anyone post who's who? I read this thread a bit and know the names but can't put a face to a name for most of these lads.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103225 on: May 24, 2021, 08:33:08 pm »
It’s easy to use physicality as the reason but honestly they look technically better and better coached also.

I don't just mean strength, I mean speed of movement too which is giving them so many options. We have been forced so deep and can't keep the ball

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103226 on: May 24, 2021, 08:33:35 pm »

Musialowski is still managing to show flashes in a game we're being utterly dominated which is a good sign.

Musialowski hasn’t got had much of a chance with the midfield behind him, but one thing I would say he needs to improve going forward is his aggression pressing and movement in terms of making himself available for the ball and making space for himself.

This is one aspect someone like Sterling was so far ahead of many players we’ve seen at the same age, tactically he was outstanding, Musialowski has the natural talent but that side of his game needs to improve.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103227 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:34 pm »

The other thing is no one's ever a lock, most youth players for clubs don't make it, doesn't make me less excited that someone ours eventually could though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103228 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:40 pm »
I don't just mean strength, I mean speed of movement too which is giving them so many options. We have been forced so deep and can't keep the ball

I can agree with that, we could do with a couple more agile midfielders, maybe bring Mabaya on? I’m not a fan of Balagizi playing on the right either.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103229 on: May 24, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
Physicality, technique and movement are superior in that first 45 minutes from the Villa side.

Someone in the middle of the park needs to take the game by the scruff of the neck for us or there's no way back into the game. Their keepers got a mistake in him but it will take more than that so someone needs to step up and we're just silent in the centre

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103230 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:12 pm »
Hard to argue with this, they look better in every department. How do Villa compare against the likes of City and Chelsea at this level?

The young lads haven’t been good this half but they’ll learn, they’ve done brilliantly well to get this far so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Villa have a few potential gems in their side, hope Edwards is watching.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103231 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:24 pm »
Bit weird to see everyone piling in on MBW all of a sudden, where was this 3/6 months ago? Takes the team to the youth cup final and now he's a shite coach apparently.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103232 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:00 pm »
Bit weird to see everyone piling in on MBW all of a sudden, where was this 3/6 months ago? Takes the team to the youth cup final and now he's a shite coach apparently.
Its because most people don't watch them all season and they are getting outplayed in the first game they have seen.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #103233 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:04 pm »

A few of their lads have got first team experience, whereas ours have not really got near apart from Koumetio being on the bench a few times. It's showing in terms of their ability, just that bit above some of our lads. Balagizi and Musialowski have definitely been the stand-out players so far for the mini reds, but Villa have just bullied our midfield so far. Good experience for the lads but barring some serious development I sadly can't see many of them getting too near the first team any time soon

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #103234 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:07 pm »
Aside from Balagizi and Musialowski it’s worth mentioned Hill and Stewart who are out with long term injuries and Kaide Gordon who is cup tied. All 3 of those are really good players.

Harvey Elliott also unavailable.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103235 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:15 pm »
We look poorly coached it has to be said.

We're clearly following JKs template, but don't have the players to execute it. Subsequently end up punting the ball up field, but our 5'5'' number 9 has no chance. We need to start passing it to our midfield 3 - even if they have a man on them - otherwise there's no way we'll get anything from this.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103236 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:20 pm »

His use of tactics have been poor tonight, too much over-reliance on the long-ball. He needs to be more flexible especially when we are getting overrun.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103237 on: May 24, 2021, 08:38:31 pm »

This is an exceptional Villa team to be fair but despite that if you add in the missing players who are eligible for this age wise (Hill, Stewart, Gordon)  for us it wouldn’t be quite so one sided. Chukwuemeka played in Villa’s wins over Spurs and Chelsea, another guy played in the Spurs win too and a lot of this side got really good experience against our first team squad in the cup just to give you an idea of how advanced this Villa side are.

Edit: as someone else mentioned above Harvey Elliott would also qualify for this game for us if he hadn’t already been fast tracked way beyond this level.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:40:07 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103238 on: May 24, 2021, 08:39:02 pm »
The other thing is no one's ever a lock, most youth players for clubs don't make it, doesn't make me less excited that someone ours eventually could though.

100%, I think we're very fortunate with our youth set up in the last few years. Trent, both Williams, Phillips, Clarkson all have done well in varying degrees and there will be more to follow.

I feel for some of the young lads, the hype too early can be really harmful. Mostly feel for Koumetio, the expectation amongst fans is unfair, he's a kid and I see as much focus on his ability as there is for some of the first teamers, its ridiculous

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103239 on: May 24, 2021, 08:39:27 pm »
I’m not a fan of Balagizi playing on the right either.

Yup, whenever I've watched him he's screamed central midfielder or number 10 to me.  Should absolutely be playing through the middle, but do we have anyone else available to play wide right with Gordon cup tied?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.