Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 186836 times)

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #800 on: May 20, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »

I think my broadband is fucked. The internet is running so slow. Can't even access sopcast and a putlocker or sockshare 45 mins video is taking forever to load up. I've been getting disconnected from every fifa game for the last couple of nights. This is really starting to piss me off. I think I'm on 20 or 40 mb with orange. Any idea why this is happening?

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #801 on: May 20, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »

I think my broadband is fucked. The internet is running so slow. Can't even access sopcast and a putlocker or sockshare 45 mins video is taking forever to load up. I've been getting disconnected from every fifa game for the last couple of nights. This is really starting to piss me off. I think I'm on 20 or 40 mb with orange. Any idea why this is happening?

Most likely area problems.
Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Offline StephenStills

• Main Stander
  • We all dream of a team of Lucases.
« Reply #802 on: May 20, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
:(

French countryside. But more than that, it's orange :/ It's pretty much one device at a time in this house :/
Should get some fibre optic stuffs soon. Happy days ahead.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #803 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:31 pm »
This is my last day with BT Total Broadband...they did me a decent enough deal to stay with them last year but this time really didn't want to know so I have jumped ship to Sky. 6 months free as well so that is good. Had to pay £2.18 for the Router delivery but the guy on the phone refunded that while we were on the phone and then he offered me the Wireless connector for the Sky Box to connect to the Sky Router at £60. I said I couldn't afford that so he said that if I bought it he would then refund the money - result!!!
The wireless connector is here and set up already and Sky Anytime+ works with my BT Broadband and my Sky Router has arrived and gets set up tomorrow.
Here is my last SpeedTest from BT

Will have to wait a few days for the Sky service to settle down and then I will post an update. Neither BT Infinity or Sky Fibre is available in my area yet...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #804 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:08 am »
I went through a hideous spell with Virgin during the first few months of the year, but getting a fairly stable service now via wireless.  I'll be amazed if my speed does actually double as advertised when they upgrade me in July, but we'll see.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:12:18 pm by thekitkatshuffler »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #805 on: May 27, 2012, 05:41:52 am »
www.speedtest.net/result/1973912661.png
Up and down like a honeymooners arse.
from 117Mbps to 70Mbps
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:35:05 am by capt k »
JFT 96

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »
This is my last day with BT Total Broadband...they did me a decent enough deal to stay with them last year but this time really didn't want to know so I have jumped ship to Sky. 6 months free as well so that is good. Had to pay £2.18 for the Router delivery but the guy on the phone refunded that while we were on the phone and then he offered me the Wireless connector for the Sky Box to connect to the Sky Router at £60. I said I couldn't afford that so he said that if I bought it he would then refund the money - result!!!
The wireless connector is here and set up already and Sky Anytime+ works with my BT Broadband and my Sky Router has arrived and gets set up tomorrow.
Here is my last SpeedTest from BT

Will have to wait a few days for the Sky service to settle down and then I will post an update. Neither BT Infinity or Sky Fibre is available in my area yet...

Be carefull with sky. When i joined their regular BB service I was told i'd get 13, but only got 3.5-4

Luckily, now on their fibre and getting 40
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #807 on: May 31, 2012, 02:39:15 pm »
Waited in yesterday for a BT engineer to come and install Infinity 2 and never showed up

Rung BT up and apparently they need to do some work in the exchange so there was no chance of them being able to do the installation yesterday I will have to wait another 2 weeks at least

Would have been nice to have been told but at least they are refunding me a months broadband for the inconvenience

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #808 on: May 31, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »
mate rings up virgin and complains that he's only getting 8meg from a 10meg line, later on he gets £9 off his bill and upgraded for free to 30meg, seems that's there standard now so i don't think its anything new to anyone though?
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: June 10, 2012, 09:41:28 am »
Andym: I'm in the same boat but a bit further along. After another 2 weeks they did show up only for the engineer to say he couldn't find our wires in the cabinet. He said someone else would be along later that day, however I then got an email giving me a new date another 2 weeks later. I have complained, they cancelled my entire order and gave me a new one with a date a day before the last date

No-one calls me back when they say they will. I am disgusted by BT customer service
@johnbuckels

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #810 on: June 10, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »
Got 75mb Today! Even though I'm on the 60mb package!! Once BT infinity is in the Area i'm leaving Virgin. Area problems supposed to be fixed 26th September, that's a joke right? No!

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #811 on: June 18, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »
Fucking BT - once again they failed to turn up to install Infinity today

I was getting a feeling of Deja Vu around 4:30 so rung them up They told me they weren't able to contact the engineer so didn't know whether he was going to keep the appointment

Safe to say I don't expect him  now - perhaps I should just cancel and go to Sky

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: June 18, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »
Sky broadband is dogshit, don't do it
psn = Lents123

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #813 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:38 pm »

Virgin is dogshit.  :no

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #814 on: June 21, 2012, 10:02:56 am »

not had any problems myself?

www.misternobody.co.uk

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:47 pm »
after kicking up an almighty stink, I finally got my BT infinity

needless to say my life has changed!

anyone got any experience with wireless range extenders for this sort of speed. is it worth doing? what about the powerline option?
@johnbuckels

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #816 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:56 pm »
after kicking up an almighty stink, I finally got my BT infinity

needless to say my life has changed!

anyone got any experience with wireless range extenders for this sort of speed. is it worth doing? what about the powerline option?

Lucky! I really want Infinity and they wont be in the West Midlands till 2013 :(

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #817 on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »
Lucky! I really want Infinity and they wont be in the West Midlands till 2013 :(

I am impressed. "only" getting 40mb through the wireless though
@johnbuckels

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #818 on: June 22, 2012, 07:12:52 pm »
not had any problems myself?

spoke to soon, was down at 8am today so i stayed off till 4pm and it was back!

www.misternobody.co.uk

Pheeny

« Reply #819 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

about to have my speed increased (as of tomorrow) this is what I get today...

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #820 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:21 pm »
Sky's fibre service has been "broken" for over a week - Keeps cutting out and numerous people only getting half their actual speeds.

BT Open Reach have been informed but they keep closing the calls down with "no fault found", even though Sky have told them countless times the lines are failing...apparently Sky have only been telling them there is a fault via their "system"...why dont they just pick up the phone and speak to someone
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #821 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »
Having been given the run around by BT for another week I get a phone call saying they have now sorted whatever problem they had and an engineer would come this Thursday to install Infinity

Less than half an hour later I get a text saying the appointment is set for July 5th

Clearly their incompetence knows no bounds

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #822 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:09 pm »
Two more missed appointments this week so compensation up to £45

My letter of complaint is up to 3 pages and I don't think I am anywhere nearer getting Infinity

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #823 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »
Ahoy speed freaks.

Just signed up to BT Infinity. Getting about 80 wired Ethernet but only about 10 via homeplugs. They are 85mbps plugs.

Have ordered some 200mbps to come next week are they likely to do anything, if the 85's are not getting above 10?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #824 on: July 14, 2012, 07:08:17 am »
Got my new Virgin upgrade yesterday

When they've updated the local boxes that should increase to around 120MB
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:10:29 am by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: July 14, 2012, 07:25:43 am »
i pay around 17 quid on o2, to be fair i've never had any major issues and when i have i've found there customer service to be the best i've ever experienced. I'm getting 8-10 meg, which i dont mind but is there better speeds/isp's out there for a similar price?

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
« Reply #826 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:46 am »
i pay around 17 quid on o2, to be fair i've never had any major issues and when i have i've found there customer service to be the best i've ever experienced. I'm getting 8-10 meg, which i dont mind but is there better speeds/isp's out there for a similar price?

I have virgin for £22.50 a month and that gets me 30Mb :)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #827 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:46 am »
Upload is very low with Virgin?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #828 on: July 15, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »
Upload is very low with Virgin?

Yeah it's always been slow.

They've fixed my download now :)

Just got 138.9Mb/S out of it :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #829 on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:07 am »

>:(

Well, thing's are looking up!   ;D

:champ

Brand new 10mb Virgin Media contract  :no

If I were to tell you that this test was done just now (and the above done just then), just 8 feet away from where the original was done (desk - doorway...router is on stairs so nearer doorway), would you consider that the router is absolute garbage or are there some settings that I need to look at?

Just sat over near the door now and my browser is flying in comparison.

*Edit:  really useless at things like this.

Upgrade:

:butt

Am I completely missing something here?  I live in a house with 3 other 20-somethings and so there can often be multiple laptops/consoles connected but the new deal was for 50mb Virgin Media.  Tonight, I'm the only one in the house and I have the PS3 and laptop connected wirelessly to the router and, after getting nowhere trying to watch the iPlayer on the PS3, I ran a test on the laptop and came up with this:

Am I completely missing something here?  I live in a house with 3 other 20-somethings and so there can often be multiple laptops/consoles connected but the new deal was for 50mb Virgin Media.  Tonight, I'm the only one in the house and I have the PS3 and laptop connected wirelessly to the router and, after getting nowhere trying to watch the iPlayer on the PS3, I ran a test on the laptop and came up with this:

F**king finally...

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #830 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »
Fuck Virgin Media!

Area problems fixed by 26th September!

Richard Branson is a :knob

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #831 on: September 1, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »

So fuck this slow Who torrent!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: September 2, 2012, 12:48:21 pm »
bit slow today

@johnbuckels

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #833 on: September 6, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
I think I read a while back that the cabinets are replaced for Infinity as they can't fibre into the old ones. My understanding is once you see a new one being installed next to your old one then its not far from being available...

Well they got there in the end, finally got the email to say it's been activated and I should be able to get the full 80/20 on my line, so will just have to see how the install goes now.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: September 6, 2012, 01:46:29 pm »
Has to be the most frustrating thing about choosing to move out of town.

My village has been hooked up to 'South Yorkshire Digital Region', however the company made the decision in 2009 not to hook up one cabinet.  This cabinet was on a brand new housing estate and as there weren't many people using it they skipped it.  3 years later, the estate is finished and there are over 100 hours on the thing (including mine).

Every single house in the surrounding area bar this new estate are covered, but I have to make do with 'national broadband'.

Am getting about 5Mb, which isn't bad, but it's a pain in the arse when you know how much greener the grass is across the road!

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #836 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »
Finally got infinity installed today after there was an issue on the line when they tried it first time round

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #837 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »
Getting tired of virgin and their high pings starting evening till late at night which kills my online gaming experience. Which of the 3 (virgin, sky, bt) have the most stable connection you think? Don't really care much for speed as long as the latency is low all the time?
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #838 on: September 28, 2012, 08:35:37 am »
Getting tired of virgin and their high pings starting evening till late at night which kills my online gaming experience. Which of the 3 (virgin, sky, bt) have the most stable connection you think? Don't really care much for speed as long as the latency is low all the time?

not a lover of virgin, BT are always increasing prices so sky's just right for me but that's just my personally preference, my stats from last year and two ran just now:-

pleased with that, only knocking 9meg a few months back and nothing has been changed

www.misternobody.co.uk

Offline GeeFJay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #839 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:02 am »
from a gaming point of view i think you'll be best going with BT inifinity if your fed up with virgin?

www.misternobody.co.uk