Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 187414 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #760 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
I'd been getting some appalling 0.5Mb results last week, but now my Virgin Media hub is giving me this slight improvement...

At times I'm getting 49Mb with 16ms ping.  :D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »
My home connection :)

Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Polish_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #762 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:49 am »
New BT Infinity 2

76Mb/s

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:12:19 am by Polish_Red »

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
Im getting 35mb with 9 ping
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #764 on: April 19, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »
A fellow Bristolian based rawkite :). Which department do you work at, the ones in the medical school are dreadful.

Howdy  8)

I'm in CMM and i thought the speeds were pretty good!  :o

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #765 on: April 19, 2012, 05:59:47 pm »
New BT Infinity 2

76Mb/s

Is it more  expensive than infinity 1???

I've only got infinity 1 about 6 weeks ago, have I missed out??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline prateekmalhota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »
Goodness me. You guys had 8/16 Mbps connections available in 2007! We barely had any 512 Kbps plans back then. I live in India.

Thats about the max that you get for homes nowadays here in India. I've got 8 Mbps myself and that too with a 30 GB data cap after which the speed reduces to 512 Kbps. Strangely enough, my friends hate me for having the best internet connection available in Delhi.  ::)

I do have access to 100 Mbps at my university to reduce the misery.

Offline Polish_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #767 on: April 21, 2012, 01:29:27 am »
Is it more  expensive than infinity 1???

I've only got infinity 1 about 6 weeks ago, have I missed out??

I've had Infinity since Feb last year at £26 per month and last week upgraded it to Infinity 2 for free with same monthly charge.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: April 22, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »
Ordered BT Infinity yesterday.  Projected speed is 67Mb/s.  I hope I can achieve that
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:59 pm »
mine varies from 25mb to 37mb

depends whether i do the speed test from my tablet or pc

tablet
ping 20ms  25mb download 1.7mb upload

pc
ping 9ms 37mb download 1.4-1.7 upload.

Offline Polish_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #770 on: April 22, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »
Ordered BT Infinity yesterday.  Projected speed is 67Mb/s.  I hope I can achieve that

The test of my line has showed speed up to 64Mb/s but I still get full 76Mb/s. Happy days !

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #771 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:39 pm »
They've been saying they're going to rollout BT Infinity to my area at the end of the next quarter for over a year for me now with no luck as of yet, but I did see a BT Openreach van working on the cabinet outside the flats this morning so here's hoping

Offline Tony Drago

• Main Stander
« Reply #772 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »

Not bad.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: April 24, 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
They've been saying they're going to rollout BT Infinity to my area at the end of the next quarter for over a year for me now with no luck as of yet, but I did see a BT Openreach van working on the cabinet outside the flats this morning so here's hoping

I think I read a while back that the cabinets are replaced for Infinity as they can't fibre into the old ones. My understanding is once you see a new one being installed next to your old one then its not far from being available...

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08:32 am »
:P

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: April 25, 2012, 07:00:25 am »

About the fastest home connection you can get in India.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #776 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:41 pm »
I think I read a while back that the cabinets are replaced for Infinity as they can't fibre into the old ones. My understanding is once you see a new one being installed next to your old one then its not far from being available...

Cheers Graeme.

We do have one of the big ones outside now along with the smaller one so hopefully that will be coming through soon, annoyingly I've been restricted to ADSL 2 up until now as the area isn't covered by Virgin media.

Offline Kuks

• ugare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »

About the fastest home connection you can get in India.
Mate how much are you paying a month and can I get on it? I can't stand my 1.2 on MTNL anymore...

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: April 29, 2012, 02:41:04 pm »
Mate how much are you paying a month and can I get on it? I can't stand my 1.2 on MTNL anymore...

1000 bucks a month. You can get 15 and 20 Mbps for 1500 and 2500, too. Not sure if it's available outside of Hyderabad right now, but it's very stable at that speed.

This is the website:
http://www.beamtele.com/

Offline joel

• Lean. Joel Lean. Joel Lean. Joel Leeeaaaannnn! Please don't ban him just because you can!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All round the fields of Anfield road.
« Reply #779 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »
Quote from: CONFIAMOS on December 24, 2011, 01:45:18 PM
Perfect irony, out of everything he could have pictured next to, he's by a chocolate frog.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #780 on: May 5, 2012, 03:52:37 pm »
JFT 96

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #781 on: May 7, 2012, 09:40:25 pm »
Take that you speed demons

Thats why I'm getting cable as soon as its available in my area.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: May 7, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »
Take that you speed demons

Thats why I'm getting cable as soon as its available in my area.
I've been on for about two months......

I can actually download stuff now, movies, podcasts, really quick now....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline StormyDog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: May 7, 2012, 09:57:02 pm »
I've been on for about two months......

I can actually download stuff now, movies, podcasts, really quick now....
who virgin or Bt ?
If so what package and how close to headline speed are you getting ?

Ta.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: May 7, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »
who virgin or Bt ?
If so what package and how close to headline speed are you getting ?

Ta.
BT infinity, I'm getting around 34 meg ( or so)

I could have got virgin, but BT did a deal to stop us leaving....Im paying the same for BT infinity as I was for 1.7 meg broadband (well, I'm not, my wife is, but you get the idea)
W

Offline StormyDog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: May 7, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »
BT infinity, I'm getting around 34 meg ( or so)

I could have got virgin, but BT did a deal to stop us leaving....Im paying the same for BT infinity as I was for 1.7 meg broadband (well, I'm not, my wife is, but you get the idea)
Ta, I've been stuck on .4mb/s-1.1mb/s for 2-3 years, I was promised by BT that they would be a performance increase when they upgraded the exchange from ADSL to ADSL+ but since the change my speed hasn't changed, so I won't be staying with BT the moment I get the change to change, currently it says my area is in a patchy cable area (ie some streets are, some are not), I can see the cable local hub (box) at the end of our street, but its not turned on. I email Virgin every couple of months and they are now saying that it will be enabled over the summer. heres hoping.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #786 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:28 pm »
Well I have just signed up for Virgin 100mb, although the engineer had to stick the superhub in another room as he couldn't get through the computer room exterior wall so at the moment I am connecting wirelessly so it may explain why one minute the speedtest is claiming 80+mb then its down to 4-5mb then 20mb like below - could it be the wireless? I am in the opposite room so can take a Ethernet cable under the carpet into this room - would it help?

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: May 11, 2012, 12:54:49 pm »
Well I have just signed up for Virgin 100mb, although the engineer had to stick the superhub in another room as he couldn't get through the computer room exterior wall so at the moment I am connecting wirelessly so it may explain why one minute the speedtest is claiming 80+mb then its down to 4-5mb then 20mb like below - could it be the wireless? I am in the opposite room so can take a Ethernet cable under the carpet into this room - would it help?

Yes, if you connect via ethernet cable you'll get a true account of how quick your internet is and you'll know whether the reduced speed you've posted here is simply the result of wireless issues.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #788 on: May 11, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

Yeah many wireless devices are pants, we have Virgin 50MB at home and get 6MB/sec through an ethernet cable. Out of the two wireless cards I have, one does about 2.3MB/sec max and the other does almost full speed.
:D

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #789 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »
Yes, if you connect via ethernet cable you'll get a true account of how quick your internet is and you'll know whether the reduced speed you've posted here is simply the result of wireless issues.

Right well that's Ethernet cable ordered then, hope it keeps it stable then, just got 45mb result now, it's just so up and down - but any time I have downloaded anything it has been quick so it may just be the speedtest giving inaccurate results as downloaded 2 albums in 30 secs

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #790 on: May 11, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »
wireless should not lose that much speed unless you have very thick walls in your house.  Check if your wireless is broadcasting at the most efficient channel.  If you have a smart phone, you can get a free app or for laptops there are some softwares on google
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #791 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:01 pm »
Have changed the Channel (5ghz Channel 36) and I am now getting 55mb, is this the average speed I will get on 100mb then? Was hoping for a constant sort of 70-80 hmm hope that changing to wired will help it, I wanted it wired originally but the guy who installed it didn't have the right drill grr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

fibre could take between a week and 2 to "settle down".

when i got it it was pinging between 20ms and 26ms
a few weeks later im down to 5ms

i still get times where that varies.

luckily download and upload has settled at around 36mb and 1.5mb where as before it varied from 15mb to 31mb...although upload was 1.6-1.7

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #793 on: May 11, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »
Excuse the slow speeds.

I should get 60mb but I'm getting 17.5mb due to area problems going on since January! The best thing is that they have refunded my mum over £200 and I've had £100 from it!  ;D

Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #794 on: May 11, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »
:P

Woah! Is that the 120mb Virgin Broadband?
Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #795 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
fibre could take between a week and 2 to "settle down".

when i got it it was pinging between 20ms and 26ms
a few weeks later im down to 5ms

i still get times where that varies.

luckily download and upload has settled at around 36mb and 1.5mb where as before it varied from 15mb to 31mb...although upload was 1.6-1.7

I hope so - just downloading a couple of TV shows off a newsgroup, I have 3-4mbps for about 20 secs then it goes down to about 500kb then up a bit again, its all over the place

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:19 pm »
Anybody seen any feedback or signed up to Sky Fibre yet ?
They are using the BT system so presuming the speeds & reliability will be the same.

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #797 on: May 15, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »
Just signed up for BT Infinity 2 where they say I'll get 72Mb download

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #798 on: May 16, 2012, 01:45:57 pm »
Just signed up for BT Infinity 2 where they say I'll get 72Mb download

Mine gets installed Monday 21st  68mb DL and 19mb Uploads... apparently.

Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #799 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:41 pm »
I'm glad to report I am now connected via ethernet and I am getting a stable 85-100mb :)