Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 346147 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5080 on: December 9, 2022, 05:32:17 pm »
Yakutsk  has recorded a record low of -64C :o average temperatures are below -30C until March. Daft thing is Yakutsk has recorded a summer temp of 38C, & average summer temps are around 25C.

Their's a place not far from Yakutsk that is colder, Oymyakon were the average temps are below -40C until March, & has recorded a low of -67C

The temperature on Mars where the Insight lander is parked currently ranged from about -15C to -96C, so there's a bit of overlap.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5081 on: December 9, 2022, 06:32:42 pm »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5082 on: December 9, 2022, 07:37:21 pm »
It's turned to snow here now.
It happens when the cold layer sinks. Ironically, the rain makes the air around it cool, so the air turns the rain into snow.

Nobby, your question.... super-cooled precipitation. Same explanation. Energy released changes state of the structure of the precip. I think there's a process called accretion involved...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: December 9, 2022, 08:32:34 pm »
Shorts weather Rob  ;)

Even I'm not that stupid
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5084 on: December 10, 2022, 07:42:04 am »
Just looked out the window and it's snowing/sleeting heavily outside in Toxteth. Looks like it only turned to snow recently though, as it's only just started sticking.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5085 on: December 10, 2022, 06:59:55 pm »
Any snow that's stuck is now turning into ice, pavements are going to be lethal.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5086 on: December 10, 2022, 09:53:38 pm »
Monday is going to be fun, met office are saying it's going to be -2C until 9am, with a high of 0C around lunchtime.
#Sausages

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5087 on: December 11, 2022, 09:57:57 am »
Just watching “Winter Watch 1963: The Big Freeze” about the worst winter in the 20th century in 1963.

That was a winter. A good two months of Arctic weather and the country just survived.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5088 on: December 11, 2022, 10:00:55 am »
Just watching “Winter Watch 1963: The Big Freeze” about the worst winter in the 20th century in 1963.

That was a winter. A good two months of Arctic weather and the country just survived.
Do you mean "the country simply got on with it" or "the country scraped through by the skin of its teeth, barely!"? Suspect the former - just checking...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5089 on: December 11, 2022, 10:58:08 am »
Do you mean "the country simply got on with it" or "the country scraped through by the skin of its teeth, barely!"? Suspect the former - just checking...

It'll be the former, weren't a bunch of fannies back then 😉
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5090 on: December 11, 2022, 11:07:35 am »

We watched it the other night and it's one of my earliest childhood memories. 

I was 3 in Jan '63 and I had some childhood illnesses and I can remember watching my older sister and dad having snowball fights and building a snowman in the garden but not being allowed out.

Then another day I'd gone with dad in the car 🤦 to try and get to the village shop but we had to abandon the car after it got stuck in a drift and dad had to carry me home on his shoulders.  It took nearly a week to get the car back.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5091 on: December 11, 2022, 11:53:51 am »
We watched it the other night and it's one of my earliest childhood memories. 

I was 3 in Jan '63 and I had some childhood illnesses and I can remember watching my older sister and dad having snowball fights and building a snowman in the garden but not being allowed out.

Then another day I'd gone with dad in the car 🤦 to try and get to the village shop but we had to abandon the car after it got stuck in a drift and dad had to carry me home on his shoulders.  It took nearly a week to get the car back.

Did your dad carry the car home on his shoulders, too?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5092 on: December 11, 2022, 12:03:23 pm »
Did your dad carry the car home on his shoulders, too?

I have no idea how he got it home but I do remember one of the back windows got broken somehow and the back seats were full of snow.

We lived out in the sticks so most likely one of the farmers dragged it out.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5093 on: December 11, 2022, 01:25:56 pm »

Even the Upper Thames froze over it was that cold that winter, so much so that the ice was thick enough for someone who did drove a car across the Thames in Oxford. :o

Last thing we need now is another winter like 63, practically with the energy prices the way they are now.

Because so much football was cancelled, the pools panel was first set up that winter, & the original pools panel consisted of Ted Drake, Tom Finney, Tommy Lawton and George Young and ex-referee Arthur Edward Ellis.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5094 on: December 11, 2022, 10:18:40 pm »
Looking at my phone & showing -1C, hard to think, only 5 months ago when it was 37C.
#Sausages

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5095 on: December 11, 2022, 11:23:37 pm »

I think we got through it by the skin of our teeth. The technology available was basic and the sight of engineers in suits, shirts and ties working in freezing conditions succeeding in getting electricity supplies back on line was scary.

I was nine and remember walking to school crossing large ridges of ice formed  by frozen ruts. I don’t think Liverpool was as badly affected as the South West though.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5096 on: December 12, 2022, 07:36:28 am »
 People travel more these days, than they did back then, whether work & such, it's not so simple as back in the day.

The cold snap January 2010 & UK was almost shut down because of it, i certainly remember all the buses off the road because the roads were so treacherous, think trains still just about ran but with delays.
#Sausages

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5097 on: December 12, 2022, 08:11:59 am »
It looks quite chilly out there this morning. :o

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: December 12, 2022, 08:15:08 am »
There's 4 children been pulled from a frozen lake yesterday afternoon and taken to hospital having suffered cardiac arrests.

Hope they're all going to be ok and get home in time to enjoy Christmas.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: December 12, 2022, 10:17:01 am »
People travel more these days, than they did back then, whether work & such, it's not so simple as back in the day.

The cold snap January 2010 & UK was almost shut down because of it, i certainly remember all the buses off the road because the roads were so treacherous, think trains still just about ran but with delays.
I was over from Sweden that winter, staying in Cornwall. Massive snowstorms across the whole of the south of the country. When we arrived, we took the M3 so we could run cross-country towards the A303. M3 was blocked at Basingstoke. We sat it out at a services. It was chaos. Once they reopened the junction, we made it all the way, through thick freezing fog. Roads were empty apart from a few that were in ditches or abandoned in lay-bys.

Coming back, we had to time the run between weather fronts after New Year so we could get from Cornwall to Harwich in one go. I've never been more grateful for a car designed to drive in winter weather and brand new winter tyres......and I seem to remember some controversy in the UK about car insurance companies classifying the use of winter tyres as a 'modification' that could invalidate the policy?! Wtaf?!

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5100 on: December 12, 2022, 11:16:51 am »
Starting to get misty now here on the Wirral, wouldn't be surprised if it gets thicker with no wind around..
#Sausages

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5101 on: December 12, 2022, 11:34:26 am »
Starting to get misty now here on the Wirral, wouldn't be surprised if it gets thicker with no wind around..
Quite thick fog here in Sefton Park now, after what looked like a hoar frost first thing this morning. The frost looked amazing. Covering everything and making it look like a fresh covering of snow.

I've just been out gritting paths in my shorts. I hope Rob is proud of me.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:36:11 am by Son of Mince Pie on a Plate »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5102 on: December 12, 2022, 11:38:02 am »
I was over from Sweden that winter, staying in Cornwall. Massive snowstorms across the whole of the south of the country. When we arrived, we took the M3 so we could run cross-country towards the A303. M3 was blocked at Basingstoke. We sat it out at a services. It was chaos. Once they reopened the junction, we made it all the way, through thick freezing fog. Roads were empty apart from a few that were in ditches or abandoned in lay-bys.

Coming back, we had to time the run between weather fronts after New Year so we could get from Cornwall to Harwich in one go. I've never been more grateful for a car designed to drive in winter weather and brand new winter tyres......and I seem to remember some controversy in the UK about car insurance companies classifying the use of winter tyres as a 'modification' that could invalidate the policy?! Wtaf?!

What? In Germany, you invalidate your policy if you drive in winter without suitable tyres.

I don't have a car in the UK, but it seems nobody here has even heard of winter tyres.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5103 on: December 12, 2022, 11:38:26 am »
There's 4 children been pulled from a frozen lake yesterday afternoon and taken to hospital having suffered cardiac arrests.

Hope they're all going to be ok and get home in time to enjoy Christmas.
Sadly 3 have died. The fourth is in a critical condition.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5104 on: December 12, 2022, 11:41:27 am »
What? In Germany, you invalidate your policy if you drive in winter without suitable tyres.

I don't have a car in the UK, but it seems nobody here has even heard of winter tyres.
Same here and in many other places. But yeah when I was over in 2010 it was with a Saab and brand new 'friction tyres'. Was driving 'normally', lots of incredulous looks from people as I overtook them.......while they're creeping along on round plastic bags.......

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5105 on: December 12, 2022, 11:41:43 am »
That's horrible news :(

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5106 on: December 12, 2022, 11:45:00 am »

A tyre place in Speke has European tyres shipped over to reuse at great prices because of winter change regulations.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: December 12, 2022, 12:39:45 pm »

I just read this on another forum,the one in critical condition is only six.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5108 on: December 12, 2022, 12:49:09 pm »
Blimey, Nobby was spot on.......  :o

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63930618

Temperature drops to -15.7C in Braemar on coldest night of year
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:53:40 pm by 24/Swans-a-7ing »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5109 on: December 12, 2022, 12:59:32 pm »

Ive just heard it on the news.

It's normally a house fire from dodgy Christmas lights that cause the deaths of young kids at this time of year.

Those poor families going through this after something we all did as kids without giving it a thought 😟

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5110 on: December 12, 2022, 01:11:43 pm »
Blimey, Nobby was spot on.......  :o

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63930618

Temperature drops to -15.7C in Braemar on coldest night of year

Braemar gets that record almost every single year. Strangely enough it has also been the hottest place in the UK a few times as well.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5111 on: December 12, 2022, 01:18:26 pm »

Our kid was doing nights then and didn't miss a single shift, driving from Southampton to Birmingham and back. He was posting pics from his dashcam of the A34 totally empty bar a couple of HGV's and the road was just white with snow.

He was going to one pickup and at the top of this hill he put his seatbelt on, fags and phone in his pocket and held on for dear life, he was just along for the ride - he was doing 70mph when he hit the bottom of the hill - the road was closed to HGV's about 5 mins later.

I remember doing a shift out of Tesco Middlewich and there was this massive queue outside of parked up HGV's all waiting to go pick up rock salt from the Winsford salt mines, there was such a demand, they were using the industrial estate as a holding area.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5112 on: December 12, 2022, 01:23:44 pm »
Braemar gets that record almost every single year. Strangely enough it has also been the hottest place in the UK a few times as well.

Being in the middle of the Cairngorms helps, & Braemar is at 1,112ft above sea level too, so no wonder that's always one of the coldest places in the UK.
#Sausages

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5113 on: December 12, 2022, 01:28:42 pm »
I know we're supposed to be used to it but we're getting absolutely fuckin slammed at the moment by a proper Beast From The East.........even the Ryanair pilot from Stansted flight circled over Tallinn and said, "Fuck that - Helsinki it is!" - which is a real pisser for them and will cost them far more than they made on the actual flight.......you know it's not good when that lot swerve (no pun intended) a landing (Helsinki airport is quite a long drive from the ferry terminal and even then it's 2 or 2.5 hours and the one-way tickets last minute are 30e, so they'll take quite a hit here, depending how many were on the flight, not to mention the extra fuel and the extra landing fees) - even though our runway is directly east/west. And even though our guys are cleaning the runway every few seconds, the blizzard conditions plus the snowfall itself make it almost impossible.

Thousands across the country are without power, even in the city centre, where storm damage is rare. We're definitely ducking and covering, still 24 hours before it abate, should peak tonight.  ::)

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5114 on: December 12, 2022, 01:28:50 pm »
Felt like it's got colder again the last half hour, so takes a look & the weather app on my phone is showing it's -2C.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: December 12, 2022, 01:37:26 pm »
Very dangerous out there on foot where there is ice. Ironic that Mill Street is virtually ice free whilst the pavements on Park Road are rather treacherous. The freezing mist doesn't help.

Hoping this is more of a cold snap than a cold spell. Temperature looks set to improve slightly towards the end of the week? Enough for a thaw at least.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5116 on: December 12, 2022, 01:43:50 pm »
Very dangerous out there on foot where there is ice. Ironic that Mill Street is virtually ice free whilst the pavements on Park Road are rather treacherous. The freezing mist doesn't help.

Hoping this is more of a cold snap than a cold spell. Temperature looks set to improve slightly towards the end of the week? Enough for a thaw at least.
You're getting another arctic blast from Wednesday onwards. Nothing like the usual westerly flow you'd like to see for a mild winter. Strap in.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1407150000

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:45:50 pm by 24/Swans-a-7ing »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5117 on: December 12, 2022, 01:45:26 pm »
I know we're supposed to be used to it but we're getting absolutely fuckin slammed at the moment by a proper Beast From The East.........even the Ryanair pilot from Stansted flight circled over Tallinn and said, "Fuck that - Helsinki it is!" - which is a real pisser for them and will cost them far more than they made on the actual flight.......you know it's not good when that lot swerve (no pun intended) a landing (Helsinki airport is quite a long drive from the ferry terminal and even then it's 2 or 2.5 hours and the one-way tickets last minute are 30e, so they'll take quite a hit here, depending how many were on the flight, not to mention the extra fuel and the extra landing fees) - even though our runway is directly east/west. And even though our guys are cleaning the runway every few seconds, the blizzard conditions plus the snowfall itself make it almost impossible.

Thousands across the country are without power, even in the city centre, where storm damage is rare. We're definitely ducking and covering, still 24 hours before it abate, should peak tonight.  ::)

Wow, that sounds bad! What is causing the power cuts, too much snow on the power lines?

No snow in Liverpool, but freezing fog all day so far.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5118 on: December 12, 2022, 01:48:17 pm »
Wow, that sounds bad! What is causing the power cuts, too much snow on the power lines?
Combination of heavy snow, freezing rain and wind. It's the sheer weight of the precip and the 'sail' effect thereafter. Snowflakes takes up something like 10 times the amount of physical space that raindrops do. They're 'stickier' too, if that makes sense.....? Pretty much makes everything heavier. Rain rarely brings down power lines. Snow and ice definitely do, precisely cos they don't just run off, they 'stick' and they still have mass, therefore everything gets heavier.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5119 on: December 12, 2022, 01:52:56 pm »
Combination of heavy snow, freezing rain and wind. It's the sheer weight of the precip and the 'sail' effect thereafter. Snowflakes takes up something like 10 times the amount of physical space that raindrops do. They're 'stickier' too, if that makes sense.....? Pretty much makes everything heavier. Rain rarely brings down power lines. Snow and ice definitely do, precisely cos they don't just run off, they 'stick' and they still have mass, therefore everything gets heavier.

Maybe the power lines should be underground? But then the weather is probably pretty extreme, even for Talinn.