Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 343429 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #4960 on: November 16, 2022, 02:45:39 pm »
What a beautiful couple of days we've had here. 

Barely a breath of wind, cloudless blue skies and even though the forecasts would have you believe it's only 10/11° I'm sat with the doors open enjoying listening to the birds chattering away 😁

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4961 on: November 16, 2022, 04:34:51 pm »
What a beautiful couple of days we've had here. 

Barely a breath of wind, cloudless blue skies and even though the forecasts would have you believe it's only 10/11° I'm sat with the doors open enjoying listening to the birds chattering away 😁

We had torrential rain yesterday morning. Today was nice, but much colder. In general it's getting colder now, Friday night it's supposed to edge towards freezing. About time in mid-November, though I was quite happy not having to wear a coat personally.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4962 on: November 16, 2022, 04:53:04 pm »

We had torrential rain yesterday morning. Today was nice, but much colder. In general it's getting colder now, Friday night it's supposed to edge towards freezing. About time in mid-November, though I was quite happy not having to wear a coat personally.

I'd so welcome more seasonal temps - but the weather output models are currently indicating a return to mild by the end of the month.

Not looking like a repeat of December 2010 at present  :P
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4963 on: November 16, 2022, 04:53:17 pm »
Looking at the forecast for the weekend, temperatures are struggling to reach double figures, which is the norm for this time of year, i know some areas are switching the christmas lights on over the next few days, so at least the evenings wont be as gloomy until the new year.
#Sausages

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4964 on: November 16, 2022, 05:27:45 pm »

I'm enjoying the unseasonal temperatures, my garden is still full of colour and hubby mowed the grass yesterday which now looks lush.

I have missed the autumn colours in the hedgerows and trees though but we just don't get it cold enough here to get that anyway.  Not like in Barnsley 🥶

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4965 on: November 16, 2022, 05:28:57 pm »
Looking at the forecast for the weekend, temperatures are struggling to reach double figures, which is the norm for this time of year, i know some areas are switching the christmas lights on over the next few days, so at least the evenings wont be as gloomy until the new year.

So long as there's no frost to kill the plants that's fine.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #4966 on: November 17, 2022, 10:05:56 pm »
The sound of rain is healing .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4967 on: November 17, 2022, 10:16:13 pm »

I love the sound of rain, especially lying in bed of a night - don't like it that much when I'm going out though
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #4968 on: November 18, 2022, 10:01:36 am »
I love the sound of rain, especially lying in bed of a night - don't like it that much when I'm going out though

I sat with my window open last night in my kitchen and just listened ....

I sometimes have to work in it so deffo get when you say being out in it is shit. I also listen to tent rain sounds when laying in me pit which I love . Thing is though when I wake up I always think it's raining  :D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4969 on: November 18, 2022, 10:05:09 am »
I sat with my window open last night in my kitchen and just listened ....

I sometimes have to work in it so deffo get when you say being out in it is shit. I also listen to tent rain sounds when laying in me pit which I love . Thing is though when I wake up I always think it's raining  :D

Still doing the bike deliveries?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4970 on: November 18, 2022, 10:38:31 am »

I agree about enjoying the sound of it at night, especially when tucked up in bed. It looks so changeable today it was wild before, but now the sun is poking through.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #4971 on: November 18, 2022, 10:52:39 am »
Still doing the bike deliveries?

Yep ! Six fuckin years which wasn't the plan at all . I guess I love the freedom of it all. Work hard for a few days then take a few days off and chill . You can still make a decent wedge but the days of £20 an hour are long gone. Darn !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #4972 on: November 18, 2022, 11:03:13 am »

yep i'm in with the loving the sound of rain camp

my girl hates it but i just lie there relaxed - if i had to describe it i'd say it was a 'pretty' 'magical' sound
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #4973 on: November 18, 2022, 11:12:27 am »
yep i'm in with the loving the sound of rain camp

my girl hates it but i just lie there relaxed - if i had to describe it i'd say it was a 'pretty' 'magical' sound

It is and it clears energy I'd say .  There is nowt better than being being in a waterproof tent when it's pissing it down.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4974 on: November 23, 2022, 09:49:21 am »
This is the wettest autumn I can remember - I don't think I've seen a day without rain since September.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4975 on: November 23, 2022, 09:57:20 am »
This is the wettest autumn I can remember - I don't think I've seen a day without rain since September.

i've started my ark
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4976 on: November 23, 2022, 10:00:25 am »
Moved house at the start of October and I don't know what the patio looks like dry.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4977 on: November 23, 2022, 10:19:04 am »

We bloody need it too, as this still looked the same on Sunday  (madly, we've had loads of dry days where I live in Manc up until the past week or so)

About 10 years ago I remember taking the kids out halloween night and it was t-shirt and shorts weather, it should be freezing not like a summers day

There are downsides to this nice weather though, this is Booth Wood reservoir on the M62 a few weeks ago. Its maximum depth is 152 feet, I reckon its under a third full

Jurgen YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4978 on: November 23, 2022, 12:16:37 pm »
i've started my ark

You need this many of everything...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4979 on: November 23, 2022, 12:17:05 pm »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4980 on: November 23, 2022, 12:27:50 pm »
We bloody need it too, as this still looked the same on Sunday  (madly, we've had loads of dry days where I live in Manc up until the past week or so)

That's fookin spooky, I was listening to the rain in the middle of the night (again) last night and I thought about that pic you posted :)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4981 on: November 23, 2022, 12:35:49 pm »

It's been pretty much the same as last year here when it started raining at the end of September and didn't really stop till Christmas.

We had our pond dug September '21 but it filled up before we could get the liner in and as it's on clay it didn't empty again or dry out enough to start finishing it till May.

It had nearly dried out during the heatwave but now it's a waterfall onto the drive.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #4982 on: November 23, 2022, 12:38:17 pm »
There is definitely something soothing about being tucked up in bed whilst the rain batters the window.

As opposed to battering my forehead when walking to the bus stop through town after work.......
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #4983 on: November 23, 2022, 12:48:55 pm »
There is definitely something soothing about being tucked up in bed whilst the rain batters the window.

As opposed to battering my forehead when walking to the bus stop through town after work.......
I feel the same way about snow. We had our first decent fall of it yesterday - opening the curtains this morning was bliss - in the rain, the traffic makes a horrible swishing noise - when it's snow, the effect is very different, very soothing.....

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4984 on: November 23, 2022, 12:58:03 pm »
I feel the same way about snow. We had our first decent fall of it yesterday - opening the curtains this morning was bliss - in the rain, the traffic makes a horrible swishing noise - when it's snow, the effect is very different, very soothing.....

I remember going out late at night in Upstate New York after heavy snowfall, you could literally hear a pin drop, could have been anywhere in the world, very surreal.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4985 on: November 23, 2022, 01:21:56 pm »
I remember going out late at night in Upstate New York after heavy snowfall, you could literally hear a pin drop, could have been anywhere in the world, very surreal.

yep it's good at absorbing sound waves hence that quiet - same experience first thing too

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4986 on: November 23, 2022, 02:18:08 pm »

No you couldn't, the snow muffles the sound ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4987 on: November 23, 2022, 02:24:38 pm »

Is that the weather or that the infrastructure was built by the Phoenicians though?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4988 on: November 23, 2022, 03:15:07 pm »
No you couldn't, the snow muffles the sound ;)

:D :D :D Good point actually

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4989 on: November 23, 2022, 03:17:01 pm »
See now, a perfectly good pun opportunity melted away there - "it was so quiet you could hear a snow drop..." <--- ithankyou

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4990 on: November 23, 2022, 03:50:20 pm »
I lived in Yorkshire in the mid-90's. When we had that massive drought Booth Wood was even lower and Scammonden on the other side heading East was virtually empty. They were filling that with water driven down from further north in tankers. Virtually empty reservoirs are quite strange especially when you know how full they get. You used to often see excess water flowing down the other side of the dam during the wet weather, which was virtually ever present.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4991 on: November 23, 2022, 07:52:31 pm »
Rain,hail,howling gales and thunder here today and more of the same to look forward to tomorrow.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4992 on: November 25, 2022, 11:31:29 am »
Gathering support from the outlook models for a spell of settled weather.

From around the middle of next week, high pressure from the east will increasingly influence our weather. Where that high is located/how it orientates will dictate the detail but, as it stands, the likely outcome is settled weather with a lot of cloud, max temps in the 5-8c and mins of 2-3c with winds from a SE quadrant (so anywhere from S'ly to E'ly) amd generally light.

If the high retrogresses toward Greenland, then we'd get a cleaner and cooler easterly feed (sunny away from the east). That situation isn't far from a great set-up for more seasonal weather.

However, if the high sinks southward over mainland Europe, we get a SW'ly flow and damper conditions, especially away from the SE of England, with milder temps.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4993 on: November 29, 2022, 08:38:16 pm »
A colder period as we move into early December still looking a decent chance.

With charts like these being churned out by the model output computers, it'd feel very seasonal!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4994 on: November 30, 2022, 07:33:46 am »
A colder period as we move into early December still looking a decent chance.

With charts like these being churned out by the model output computers, it'd feel very seasonal!

We're looking at two days of heavy snow off the sea and minus 11 in Tallinn. Enjoy your anticyclonic curvature, temperature inversion layers and the anticyclonic gloom and coastal haar 🥶

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4995 on: November 30, 2022, 08:21:48 am »
We're looking at two days of heavy snow off the sea and minus 11 in Tallinn. Enjoy your anticyclonic curvature, temperature inversion layers and the anticyclonic gloom and coastal haar 🥶

Wtf is that in plain English 🤯

Not in the least bit envious, hate the bloody snow. Hate winter, always too cold to do anything and always seem to be wishing I'd done jobs in the summer, but who wants to be inside a garage when it's warm outside.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4996 on: November 30, 2022, 10:39:15 am »
Wtf is that in plain English 🤯

Not in the least bit envious, hate the bloody snow. Hate winter, always too cold to do anything and always seem to be wishing I'd done jobs in the summer, but who wants to be inside a garage when it's warm outside.
Usually in the UK when you get a high, dragging in air from the North Pole and over the North Sea, you get several effects.

The first is a low level temperature inversion, with a layer of cold air stuck above the ground. Under these conditions, the sun is, even on the best of winter days, not strong enough to heat the land - it's heat that radiates from the land that warms our air, not the sun directly itself - which means insufficient power to break and lift the thin layer of stratus/stratocumulus that often accompanies such high pressure systems. So, there you have "temperate inversion" and the resulting "gloom" from the "anticyclone" sitting over you.

The curvature thing, now that's pure physics. Anticyclones are what they suggest - they don't spin - well, at least not in the centre. Around the edges, the air is 'squeezed' between other highs and of course lows, the latter of which are cyclonic. Under those conditions, winds tend to follow the directions indicated by the isobars but remember when you were a kid on the roundabouts and you were fine in the middle but hanging on to the edge gives you greater spin effect? Coriolis. Slingshot. Winds whip around the curves of a the edges of a high pressure system - the further you are from the centre, the more prominent that is.

Add all this together and then add a cold sea - coastal areas can be 'fogged out'. Inland, that's usually called fog, or freezing fog, or just mist - on the coastlines, it's called 'haar', a particularly nasty, depressing state of weather.

(Etymologically, there's a lovely winter phenomenon you often see called 'hoarfrost', when dew drops freeze on objects that are already cold - happens when the air is moist and cold and with little more than a gentle breeze at night. Beautiful sunrise effects. Much on inland UK should see some of it if the temperatures drop low enough.)

Have I mentioned wind chill effect yet........?

Enjoy :wave

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4997 on: November 30, 2022, 03:41:38 pm »
I did ponder, as I looked at the leaden skies, "Get used to this" as anticyclonic gloom is going to be a feature for the next several days.

The ECMWF model is solid on retrogressing the high to Greenland, but GFS less so. If it does, the circulation of the air should become 'cleaner', especially for us in the west.

Hoping for some frontal feature to slide NE->SW once the cold air gets established. We had two great lead-ups to Xmas in 2009 and, especially, 2010. Would love a repeat with plenty of snow on the ground.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4998 on: November 30, 2022, 04:15:44 pm »
Yup. No fronts, no snow. We've got truckloads if you want some...

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4999 on: November 30, 2022, 04:19:42 pm »
Yup. No fronts, no snow. We've got truckloads if you want some...

Yes please! Can you arrange the transport..?