Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 280164 times)

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A friend of mine recently went for a tour around the Wye Valley Brewery near Hereford. They mentioned that the brewing salts often used is what gives you the squits the next day. After a quick gander online it seems that adding salts is fairly common across the industry. I wonder if beers made without salts taste different or give you a smaller hangover? Might investigate this hypothesis when I'm made professor of booze at Oxford University.

Wye Valley make some good ales though. ;)

Had some Wye Valley beers in a great pub in central Ludlow when I was in the UK a few weeks ago. Can't remember the name of one particular beer, but it was a golden ale and was absolutely superb

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Wish i could have got these when they were released back in 2007 apparently

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
had a few of these on saturday when i was collared by some polish bloke

when he saw i ordered it he start crying
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
Ey up.

Do any of you guys know of an American beer shop that would ship to the UK? We run a beer club and it's the smaller American stuff that seems really hard to get hold of.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
it would be a ton more work, but you might want to create an account at beeradvocate, and offer to trade some stuff that is only available in the UK/Europe for some stuff only available in the states.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
any good finds recently?  I find myself, as I'm sure others do, drinking a lot more 'lighter' beers in the summer.  Hoegaarden, Bell's Oberon Ale, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, etc.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Don't know if this has been posted before, or how accurate it is, but I thought it might be worth sharing: Beers to avoid

http://earthweareone.com/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
any good finds recently?  I find myself, as I'm sure others do, drinking a lot more 'lighter' beers in the summer.  Hoegaarden, Bell's Oberon Ale, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, etc.

Goose Island 312 is a nice summer tipple. Ayinger Brau-weisse, Anderson Valley Summer Solstice, Boulevard ZON, and Schlafly's session IPA all make good Summmer drinks, in addition to the ones you listed.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Don't know if this has been posted before, or how accurate it is, but I thought it might be worth sharing: Beers to avoid

http://earthweareone.com/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

To be honest, half the beers on that list I would avoid just because they're crap.

As for how dangerous any of the ingredients listed actually are ("natural flavors" is incredibly vague), I'm slightly distrustful of any website that has a section titled "New World Order".

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Well once upon a time I was actually rather partial to the Tesco cider.  Yes, everybody I know thought it was cheap and tasted nasty, and indeed it WAS cheap - £2.50 for four 440ml cans - but I did actually enjoy the taste, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.  To me it had a deep, rich, almost woody taste, but I had to stop drinking it because it started chewing holes in my teeth.  :o
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.

Goose Island 312 is a nice summer tipple. Ayinger Brau-weisse, Anderson Valley Summer Solstice, Boulevard ZON, and Schlafly's session IPA all make good Summmer drinks, in addition to the ones you listed.

I'm quite partial to the Founders All Day IPA and BrewDog's Dead Pony Club for summer smashers.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
Not long got back from Barcelona and had Moritz epidor.  Lovely ale and 7.2% which I didnt expect.  Had a look at the ship in a bottle website and none on there and a few other websites but no one sells it over here.  Anyone any decent sites they can recommend?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:55:12 am by macca007 »

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Not long got back from Barcelona and had Moritz epidor.  Lovely ale and 7.2% which I didnt expect.  Had a look at the ship in a bottle website and none on there and a few other websites but no one sells it over here.  Anyone any decent sites they can recommend?

http://www.beermerchants.com/moritz-epidor.html

I've still got a nice Moritz glass that I picked up from a ferry in Barcelona in 2004.  Didn't get to try the Epidor though, so I might pick some up next time I put an order in.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
This is a random question and I suspect it's pretty daft too, however...

I was recently bought a case of mixed British beers as a thank you from a mate I did a favour for.  One of these beers was Brewdog's 5AM Saint.  Having bought my Dad one of their mixed cases for Christmas a few years ago, and not really enjoying the few that I sampled, I was surprised to find that I really loved the Saint.  I enjoyed it so much that I want to get some more of it (we've recently moved and I've been allowed a designated beer fridge in the utility room - have beer fridge, will fill it!).  Anyway, here's my random/daft question...

Does anyone know if the 5AM Saint has changed over time?  The reason I ask is because the bottle I had simply had "hoppy red ale" on the front (I love a hoppy beer myself).  From checking the Brewdog website I see the label now says "iconoclastic amber ale".  Does anyone know if it's the same beer just with different labels or should I be searching for a specific variant of 5AM Saint?  I've done some (quick) searching and I've not found much, so any help would be gratefully received.  I can easily contact the Brewdog guys directly if no one knows, I just figured I'd ask you guys first.

Be means of a pre-emptive thanks I can heartily recommend Meantime's London Pale Ale - a proper session beer:

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
http://www.beermerchants.com/moritz-epidor.html

I've still got a nice Moritz glass that I picked up from a ferry in Barcelona in 2004.  Didn't get to try the Epidor though, so I might pick some up next time I put an order in.

Yess!! Nice one for that. Going to order a few now.  Definitely worth trying though.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
This is a random question and I suspect it's pretty daft too, however...

I was recently bought a case of mixed British beers as a thank you from a mate I did a favour for.  One of these beers was Brewdog's 5AM Saint.  Having bought my Dad one of their mixed cases for Christmas a few years ago, and not really enjoying the few that I sampled, I was surprised to find that I really loved the Saint.  I enjoyed it so much that I want to get some more of it (we've recently moved and I've been allowed a designated beer fridge in the utility room - have beer fridge, will fill it!).  Anyway, here's my random/daft question...

Does anyone know if the 5AM Saint has changed over time?  The reason I ask is because the bottle I had simply had "hoppy red ale" on the front (I love a hoppy beer myself).  From checking the Brewdog website I see the label now says "iconoclastic amber ale".  Does anyone know if it's the same beer just with different labels or should I be searching for a specific variant of 5AM Saint?  I've done some (quick) searching and I've not found much, so any help would be gratefully received.  I can easily contact the Brewdog guys directly if no one knows, I just figured I'd ask you guys first.

Be means of a pre-emptive thanks I can heartily recommend Meantime's London Pale Ale - a proper session beer:

Same stuff and it's boss.

As a Brewdog shareholder I'm reasonably sure that all that's changed is their advertising. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:11:19 am by thekitkatshuffler »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
Same stuff and it's boss.

As a Brewdog shareholder I'm reasonably sure that all that's changed is their advertising. ;)
Cheers!  I actually called them today and checked and you're right; they've merely changed the label.  What it does mean is that the bottle I had, had been sitting around for a bit!  I guess I'm going to have to bottle age the case that I've got coming just to make sure it's as nice as the bottle I had the other day.

Ironically given my question, I'm a shareholder too.  I figured the two things my son needs in life are beer and football so bought him a Brewdog share and a share in Real Oviedo.  As he's only three we're joint shareholders for Brewdog so I get all his privileges for the next 15 years - I've basically taken care of his Father's Day presents for him (because I'm altruistic like that!).

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!

Had this beer among many others when I was in wisconsin last week and it was very nice. Why US ship us their shit stuff but they have amazing beer over there
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:30:41 pm by GBF »
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline exCite

• Anny Roader
  • Form Is Temporary, Class Is Permanent.
I'm Belgian and my favourites are these.

Normal beer (in Flemish: "een pintje"): Jupiler
Decent Belgian Blond Beer: Duvel / La Chouffe
Decent Belgian Dark Beer: Pannepot Reserva / Sint-Bernardus Abt
Decent Belgian Amber Beer: De Koninck (Bolleke)
Trappist: Rochefort 10, absolutely brilliant / West-Vleteren 12 / Blue Chimay

There are a lot more that I like, but that's just an insight.

PS: Don't ever listen to people who say Leffe is a great beer, it's not, it's shite. If a Belgian says this to you, he doesn't know his beers and he's an idiot.
We Remember them with pride,
Those mighty reds of Shankly's side.
And Kenny's boys of '88,
There's never been a side so great.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
and Leffe is owned by InBev, who I make it a habit to avoid.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sweden has a state controlled monopoly on selling wine, spirits and beer which can be argued on manu fronts. The positive side is that the selection is wide and prices not too bad. Just tasted an anchor steam beer from us which was a very pleasant experience
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium

PS: Don't ever listen to people who say Leffe is a great beer, it's not, it's shite. If a Belgian says this to you, he doesn't know his beers and he's an idiot.
Leffe is an OK beer on a warm day and is certainly not shite.Yes there are much better beers around,I like to try any "local" beers but if non are available and La Chouffe is on tap then I'll opt for that.

Often get Corsendonk or a Val Dieu and when in Leuven I opt for a Domus.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!

And yet you put Jupiter as one of your favourites :P 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:52:07 am by GBF »
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline exCite

• Anny Roader
  • Form Is Temporary, Class Is Permanent.

And yet you put Jupiter as one of your favourites :P

For a normal beer (when I don't feel like drinking heavy beers).
It's not so much the taste of Leffe, but the marketing. A lot of commercials and such want to state that Leffe is one of Belgium's finest, but there are a lot of better beers in the category.
We Remember them with pride,
Those mighty reds of Shankly's side.
And Kenny's boys of '88,
There's never been a side so great.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trying one of theses at the moment http://www.sintcanarus.be/en

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Now trying the "Belgian"  Guinness...

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
I remember once having 'Satan' in Belgium years ago.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
By the way it's my first day of 3 weeks holiday... ;)

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
My current favourite, on the 4 for £6 at Tescos

Very hoppy, which is a quality I look for in an ale. Quite bitter but full of flavour. This is what an IPA is meant to taste like, strong, bitter and hoppy, quality!

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Love these small Belgian breweries....

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
Founders Imperial stout.

It's insane.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Mcnutty

• Main Stander

Had this beer among many others when I was in wisconsin last week and it was very nice. Why US ship us their suit stuff but they have amazing beer over there

Good buddy of mine works at Surly, big fan of that place
"And it goes Liverpool's way again as Reina makes a second save. He's going to out Dudek  Dudek."

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Not an big beer enthusiast but I was in Croatia and tried a few of the mass produced ones from that region.

O˛ujsko- A very solid light lager. Available pretty much everywhere, dirt cheap and quite refreshing. Doesn't have a lot of flavour but has very crisp taste and nice carbonation.  8/10

Karlovačko- Another very popular beer in Croatia. Another light lager but this one has a more bitter taste and smell. Not a big fan of this, had a very odd and strong flavour. 4/10

Sarajevsko- Hard to find in Croatia but readily available in Bosnia. This one was my favourite one on the trip. It has a strong flavour of hops but is very smooth. Also like most beer dirt cheap. 9/10

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
Stone Brewing Co. (fabulous brewery out of California) is going to open a facility in Berlin.  More details here - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stone-groundbreaking-collaborations-the-campaign-for-cross-planetary-brewing

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
Loving my wheat beers. Have had Hoegaarden and leffe blonde. Any recommendations for others?

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
(speaking from someone living in the US) the other standouts in the broad "wheat beer" category that are readily available include:

- St. Bernardus Witbier
- Allagash White
- A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale (Lagunitas)
- Bell's Oberon Ale
- Ayinger Brau-Weisse
- Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
- Franziskaner Heffe-Weisse

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
My current favourite, on the 4 for £6 at Tescos
I've never been disappointed with anything St Austell have produced, they're consistently great across their range.  Their Clouded Yellow is outstanding.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
(San Diego, CA) – Today, Mike and Lisa Hinkley, Co-Founders of California-based Green Flash Brewing Co. and Dominique Friart, CEO of traditional Belgian-based Brewery St-Feuillien are excited to announce news about the evolution of their ongoing, cross-continental brewing alliance. These innovative breweries have made the strategic decision to advance their relationship from creatively collaborative “sister-breweries” to pioneer new territory as production partners in Europe. After a year of top-secret planning, St-Feuillien and Green Flash are executing plans based on a handshake agreement whereby the legendary Belgian operation will brew, bottle and ship the San Diego craft brewery’s flagship beer, West Coast IPA® for broad distribution throughout Europe. Green Flash is thrilled to be the first American craft brewery to bring the freshest available American IPA to market in the region. The first 240 hectoliter batch of West Coast IPA in bottles and kegs is currently shipping from St-Feuillien in Belgium to a hand-selected network of distributors and importers in the UK, Belgium, Switzerland, Norway, The Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Germany and France.

http://beerpulse.com/2014/07/green-flash-st-feuillien-reach-deal-to-have-west-coast-ipa-brewed-sold-in-europe-3359/