Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 279376 times)

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Just found out Brewdog is opening in Leicester!

It's been far too long for us East Midlander's, says April as well which seems soon. Although probably be like the Liverpool one which seemed to drag on and on,

Cannot wait to be able to pop in for a pint of 5am Saint ;D

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé

It's been far too long for us East Midlander's, says April as well which seems soon. Although probably be like the Liverpool one which seemed to drag on and on,

I was drinking 12% chocolate stout in a Brewdog in Bristol that nearly lifted me off the bowl the following day. Also the place stank of farts, besides that I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. 

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night

was in one in edinburgh at the weekend. small but i loved it. great time great staff and great beer
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
Can anyone give me some examples of beers like this to check out please- these are my absolute favourites but I've not found many similar around

here are the beeradvocate rankings for Munich Dunkel Lagers.  Not sure where you live or how many you have access to...
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/46/

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for responses. I live in the UK and most supermarkets have a pathetic range of wheat or dark beers. However I will keep an eye out for these.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Found some of this in a Dutch supermarket...

http://flyingdogbrewery.com/?beers=raging-bitch

Raging Bitch a US beer based on Belgian IPA

Not bad

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I moved to Cheltenham, from London, last Autumn......lived a few minutes from The Cask in Pimlico, http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com , about as good as it gets, to what seemed to be a beer wasteland here.....but lo & behold, just 5 minutes walk from where I live is this, http://www.favouritebeers.co.uk , not too shabby ;D

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Now trying Snake dog also from the US quite nice and it has the honour of being the last beer I have for 4/5 weeks...

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Glad you are enjoying the stuff from FlyingDog, there beer is excellent.

I remember about 5 years ago when Raging Bitch just came out, bought a case and a half.

Flyingdog has grown more bold with their names of beer since the lawsuit about their porter, Road Dog.

Hence "raging bitch" (Stone has followed suit a bit with "Arrogant Bastard")
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Had a pint of Timmy Taylor's Boltmaker last night (the CAMRA champion beer for this year). Very nice, but still prefer their Landlord.

Boltmaker is their Best Bitter - they rebranded it a couple years ago by way of a competition.  I believe a landlord in Keighley won- a large stockist of TT beers.  Oh, and it was called The Boltmakers Arms.  All above board though!!  ;)

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
I was talking about Fosters by the way. I love to hear about "local" beers oh yea and I hate the term "third world"
Why? It's not a pejorative term. It just describes non-aligned countries that are typically in Asia, Africa and South America (occasionally elsewhere). First world countries are allied to the US while second world countries are generally Russia and it's allies

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
I do not know if you get any of the beers I get here in India. Kingfisher is the highest selling beer in India. It is available in two flavors, Strong and premium (Mild). They have now come up with such flavors as KF Ultra and KF Blue. They are piss though. Strong and mild are pretty good. Strong goes particularly well with spicy Indian food, while mild goes brilliantly with other food. I started drinking a beer called Miller these days. I suspect it is either a British or American beer. It is pretty damn smooth too. Can finish two bottles in no time. Fosters and Budweiser were my choices in my early 20s. In my first company where I worked as a software engineer, I and my colleagues had chicken and rice with King fisher strong or Fish and rice with Fosters every single day. We used to go back to office and just kept staring at the monitors like nothing happened. Golden days.
You can get Kingfisher all over the UK. It was brewed under licence by Shepherd Neame in Faversham, probably still is

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
Found some of this in a Dutch supermarket...

http://flyingdogbrewery.com/?beers=raging-bitch

Raging Bitch a US beer based on Belgian IPA

Not bad
Which Dutch supermarket?

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
AH in Maastricht (Brussels poort )

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
I, and a couple of mates, are off to France tomorrow. On bikes. Caen - Aurellac - Annecy - Le Grand Bornand - Langres - Calais - Home. For about 6days. I can vouch for the Grimbergen. Its bloody lovely.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
But that's Belgian beer not French ;)

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Thank you for the geography lesson Pheeny. :) Riding in France is where I first encountered it. to be honest, I'm a bit of a ale man and generally shun all lagers out of principle. However this one, Grimbergen, is lovely as. Caught me out the first time too and I had too many as it was just so delicious. I might have caught the Belgian beer train a tad later than most. :)

Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan

Ta. I will have a look in the AH near me.

The Gall & Gall just round the corner from me has Brewdog Punk IPA though so I should be OK.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thank you for the geography lesson Pheeny. :) Riding in France is where I first encountered it. to be honest, I'm a bit of a ale man and generally shun all lagers out of principle. However this one, Grimbergen, is lovely as. Caught me out the first time too and I had too many as it was just so delicious. I might have caught the Belgian beer train a tad later than most. :)

They do a dark Grimbergen as well, you should try that,especially on draught.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

The Gall & Gall just round the corner from me has Brewdog Punk IPA though so I should be OK.
Not sure all AH stock it though might be just Maastricht what with all the students there.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Never thought about Gall & Gall I'm sure there is on of them opposite the AH I use but thought that was more wine/spirits?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
Not sure all AH stock it though might be just Maastricht what with all the students there.

Well I am nowhere near Maastricht but Leiden is full of students.

I never go in G&G either but I will this week after seeing Brewdog in the leaflet that came through the door.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/87Z_h2a7Nhg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/87Z_h2a7Nhg</a>

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Asda have just started stocking modello - coinciding nicely with a week off... Filled my boots with this and Budvar all week, mazin!

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan

Wow, small world. That used to be my local supermarket, I lived 2 streets away. There's a great little beer and wine shop a short walk from there called Wijnhandel Slijterij Achtzaligheden. I used to buy some nice Belgian and Limburger beers there, they did a lot of the local grottenbiers. Worth a trip if you're in the area again.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wow, small world. That used to be my local supermarket, I lived 2 streets away. There's a great little beer and wine shop a short walk from there called Wijnhandel Slijterij Achtzaligheden. I used to buy some nice Belgian and Limburger beers there, they did a lot of the local grottenbiers. Worth a trip if you're in the area again.
In the area again, I live in Tongeren ;)

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
In the area again, I live in Tongeren ;)

Aaah! I knew Belgium, didn't realise you were so close to the border. So yeah, you probably know a lot of good places to buy a beer, but when you're next passing near Frontenpark then Wijnhandel Slijterij Achtzalighede is worth a visit. They even sell English scrumpy if you miss that kind of thing.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks Dev might give it a visit just for the scrumpy,not that I drink it myself but there is a Cornish lad that lives here as well.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
Asda have just started stocking modello - coinciding nicely with a week off... Filled my boots with this and Budvar all week, mazin!

Budvar or as it is called in Canada Czechvar has been my go to beer for a while. We don't get a lot European beers out here, only the major brands and breweries. Mostly limited to 1 or 2 per nation. Micro-brews can be pretty expensive but price of Czechvar is just slightly more than crap beer like Budwieser or Canadian.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yet another reason to continue to live in the US, craft beer is everywhere and it is affordable.

This, makes we want to move back to Raleigh.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/07/22/move-over-munich-world-record-beer-garden-opens-in-usa/

Chakan, next time I am down in NC, fancy a trip here?

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
Yet another reason to continue to live in the US, craft beer is everywhere and it is affordable.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2015/07/22/move-over-munich-world-record-beer-garden-opens-in-usa/

They're everywhere. I used to live in Vermont and regret never taking advantage but I was much younger and not much into this sort of thing. Now I live in NJ and am within shouting distance of a pretty amazing place called Kane and am sat there at the moment typing this. I'm also in philly a lot which has loads of places as well.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
This stuff is the dogs danglies http://en.andunion.de/
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

It's been amazing witnessing the rise of craft breweries in this country. It's like people finally got fed up of drinking crappy beer like Bud, Coors, Corona, etc.  ;D

I live in Dallas which has never really been known as a beer hotbed. There's got to be dozens of breweries and microbreweries within 30-45 minutes of my apartment, with a new one popping up seemingly every month or two. There's nothing quite like going to a tap room and paying $10 to get a nice pint glass and 3 or 4 free beers. Those Saturday afternoons sure do fly by.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
It's been amazing witnessing the rise of craft breweries in this country. It's like people finally got fed up of drinking crappy beer like Bud, Coors, Corona, etc.  ;D

I live in Dallas which has never really been known as a beer hotbed. There's got to be dozens of breweries and microbreweries within 30-45 minutes of my apartment, with a new one popping up seemingly every month or two. There's nothing quite like going to a tap room and paying $10 to get a nice pint glass and 3 or 4 free beers. Those Saturday afternoons sure do fly by.

Not sure if this is your thing but you also have one of the best bourbon distilleries in the US south of you in Waco called Balcones. I have a lot of bourbon and their classic edition is by far my favorite.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Asda have just started stocking modello
is that mexican?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yes. Yes it is.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
Modelo is standard mexican pish, like Sol, Tecate, Corona. Get Negra Modelo if you can, it's better. Suarez loves it.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Modelo is standard mexican pish, like Sol, Tecate, Corona. Get Negra Modelo if you can, it's better. Suarez loves it.

He and I both, also look for Bohemia and Pacifico.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I assumed modelo and negra modelo was the same.