Author Topic: Bollocks to the new stadium  (Read 27141 times)

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
Bollocks to the new stadium
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:22:49 pm »
its new,we need to move on with the times,bigger capacity......etc etc....

bollocks.

just my view,but i don't feel its right-and i dont think we've exhausted all avenues of staying put.

whats wrong with knocking down the main stand & the row of houses behind,relocating the tenants in the streets (fully refurb of course) that are derelict,turn and lower the pitch 90 degrees and increase the capacity that way?

surely it would at least match the 55,000 of the proposed stadium?

i look at arsenals stadium & although it looks nice-its got as much atmosphere as a fucking ghost-town,ok-their fans aint exactly the greatest,but even at their best,its shite.

this way,i'm pretty sure it would cost half of that new stadium & regenerating those dreadful streets at the same time.

also,a few quid spare for transfer funds.

i expect a pasting off a few on this,but hey-its my opinion & i dont think its outrageous neither.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 09:24:34 pm by DAVO1 »

Offline dobbadobbs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice..
Re: Bollocks to the new stadium
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:09:31 pm »
i don't think we can talk about atmosphere at other games being piss poor, when for league games, anfield is a morgue these days. I'd be happy to move if it improves the atmosphere. Surely knocking down the family stand would do nothing for atmosphere, only increase the amount of seats.

We need a stadium similar to Boca's, Steep and intimidating, none of this reebok stadium shite
'Rome wasn't built in a day...but milan was destroyed in 7 minutes'

Xbox Live - Dobbadobbs

Betfair referral code, no catch...£20 each for both of us FWHVCRTRF <----enter this on registering...

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:21:38 pm »
since when was the new stadium only a 55,000 capcaity?

Also when do you expect all this work to be carried out? (especially the lowering of the pitch)
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 07:47:58 am »
How big will the pitch be when it's lowered? (assuming you want it lowered so that seats can be staggered around it, rather than just a sheer drop from the current row one of the paddock)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:11:40 am »
The new stadium will hold 60,000, plus it's not all about capacity. Our current ground even if expanded wouldn't cater for the lucrative 'corperate' market.

The work you mentioned would be time consuming, costly and might not even get off the ground due to planning permission. Knocking entire streets down is not as easy as you suggest.

The Kemlyn Rd stand development was delayed for years cos of the 2 sisters who refused to move ( they had every right to stay put ) Compulsory Purchase Orders are costly and can take forever to obtain.

I'm sure the club have gave all this great consideration before deciding developing Anfield was out of the question.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 01:34:08 pm »

bollocks.

just my view,but i don't feel its right-and i dont think we've exhausted all avenues of staying put.

whats wrong with knocking down the main stand & the row of houses behind,relocating the tenants in the streets (fully refurb of course) that are derelict,turn and lower the pitch 90 degrees and increase the capacity that way?

i look at arsenals stadium & although it looks nice-its got as much atmosphere as a fucking ghost-town,ok-their fans aint exactly the greatest,but even at their best,its shite.

this way,i'm pretty sure it would cost half of that new stadium & regenerating those dreadful streets at the same time.

i expect a pasting off a few on this,but hey-its my opinion & i dont think its outrageous neither.

If the pitch is rotated. the main stand will then be the kop.... weired idea.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:44:48 pm »
We're thinking of moving to a new stadium? :o

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 10:23:56 pm »
What ever happens with the new stadium i just pray we don't get them horrible advertising boards that go round.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:46:02 am »
What ever happens with the new stadium i just pray we don't get them horrible advertising boards that go round.
Never thought of that, I hate them to, but reckon we'll deffo have them. They must bring alot of revenue in, especially as we're on telly so much.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:06:13 am »

bollocks.

I don't think I've ever read a less considered, unknowledgable and badly researched post in my life.

Well done.

Suffice to say, without taking the time to disprove it, that everything you've said is wrong. Apart from possibly Arsenals fans being shite.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 10:50:02 am »
Dont want a new ground myself really

Offline David Benitez

• Knows an attractive man when he sees one...
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
DIVO1 I think you have a valid point. We could play at Goodison whilst they dig up the rest of the stadium to put in the foundations they would need.

Offline PiranhaBill

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 01:53:34 pm »
Brilliant idea !! We could call ourselves the People's Tenants for the couple of years we are there too. I'm completely sold on the idea. :o

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 02:27:36 pm »
DIVO1 I think you have a valid point. We could play at Goodison whilst they dig up the rest of the stadium to put in the foundations they would need.

Got to be taking the mick.........surely !!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 04:34:18 pm »
Got to be taking the mick.........surely !!

Look at what he's called DAVO, course he's taking the piss

Offline PerryLFC

• Anny Roader
  • Ohhh Liverpool We LOVE YOU!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 07:22:59 pm »

AMEN, They do my bloody head in !!!!!
ninety six

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 08:37:30 pm »
here's me thinking the 55k would register.

silly me.

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:01:43 am »
I don't think I've ever read a less considered, unknowledgable and badly researched post in my life.

Well done.

Suffice to say, without taking the time to disprove it, that everything you've said is wrong. Apart from possibly Arsenals fans being shite.
At least we've got someone who is right up to date with everything LFC and knows everything to keep us all in line, eh nidgemo?
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 06:17:47 am »
If it was possible raise the capacity at Anfield to 60,000+ and was financial do able, I'm sure we would have decided to stay...

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 09:23:48 am »
At least we've got someone who is right up to date with everything LFC and knows everything to keep us all in line, eh nidgemo?

Come on Mark - ANY bloody liverpool fan knows the avenue of rotating / extending anfield was looked into and dismissed as financially unviable. ANYONE could work out that that is practically building a new stadium AND losing revenue, and will cost more, and it's been all over every website for years that the new stadium is 60, or 61,000

His post was so uninformed it was shocking.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 09:35:06 am »
Come on Mark - ANY bloody liverpool fan knows the avenue of rotating / extending anfield was looked into and dismissed as financially unviable. ANYONE could work out that that is practically building a new stadium AND losing revenue, and will cost more, and it's been all over every website for years that the new stadium is 60, or 61,000

His post was so uninformed it was shocking.

Is correct

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 12:59:33 pm »
ANY bloody liverpool fan knows the avenue of rotating / extending anfield was looked into and dismissed as financially unviable.

Agreed on the rotation, but extending the Main Stand and Anfield Rd I am yet to be convinced how this will cost us circa £180m.

Although I'm not an expert on building and demolition costs, the lost revenue I would estimate as around £10m for the Main Stand / Paddock a season and £6m for the Anny Rd (based on 19 league games). So inflate this to say £15m Main and £10m Anny to cover a couple of cup games.

Demolish a stand in the close season (straight after the last game), rebuild it during the season, re-open it the season after. So one year's lost revenue for each stand total's £25m across the two years of construction, call it £30m for arguments sake.

Will it cost £150m in construction to achieve this?

Someone feel free to pick the bones out of this coz it is confusing to me

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »
There are 2 Issues.

The lost revenues while redeveloping Anfield & the cost it will take to do it.

The design limitation of an old 19th C style ground in relation to corporate boxes.

Firstly the club looked at redeveloping the main stand & I think this would have cost in the region of 90 million. I think this is a total figure & included lost revenue while the work would be carried out.
As for you timescales of knocking down the main stand & rebuilding it in 2 season, I'm not just sure that's realistic.

Also, the main point of a totally new stadium & design, is not the 15,000 extra seats for the normal fans, it's the amount of money that's going to be generated by corporate seats & boxes of which there will be many in the new stadium. It's been noted many times on here that some clubs in the championship make more money from corporate hospitality than we do - this is soley down to the limitation of the great, but old fashioned Anfield.

So even if redeveloping Anfield was a realistic financial option, the money a redeveloped Anfield would make compared to a Totally new design is like comparing chalk & cheese.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 01:20:13 pm by DosyMickKeane »

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 01:34:19 pm »
The club would also potentially lose over £5m a season in having 5,000 fewer seats at an improved anfield than a new stadium

He never walked alone

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:08 pm »
There's also the 2-3 year delay in getting planning permission so you have to factor in a 15000 seat drop for each of those extra years of waiting and throw in any rise in building cost in that time.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 02:04:26 pm »
The club would also potentially lose over £5m a season in having 5,000 fewer seats at an improved anfield than a new stadium

Yes, at £1000 per seat. Is that going to be the new ticket price at the new stadium?

There's also the 2-3 year delay in getting planning permission so you have to factor in a 15000 seat drop for each of those extra years of waiting and throw in any rise in building cost in that time.

I know we dont have planning permission, the point really was I don't think it was given any consideration at all from the start. We were just thrust into this new stadium which not the best option for anyone, really. If it were the best option all round it would have been built and opened by now.

Also, the main point of a totally new stadium & design, is not the 15,000 extra seats for the normal fans, it's the amount of money that's going to be generated by corporate seats & boxes of which there will be many in the new stadium. It's been noted many times on here that some clubs in the championship make more money from corporate hospitality than we do - this is soley down to the limitation of the great, but old fashioned Anfield.

We could acheieve the planned execuitve capacity at a redeveloped ground if we really wanted to.

The new build plans for 600 seats in execuitve boxes, and approx 5,000 in execuitve terraces. We have 300 seats in boxes already, and a replication on the Main Stand side could reach the 600 target. We currently have an execuite terrace in the Centenary Upper (dont know capacity), so again a replication in the Main could push close to the 5,000 target.

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 03:22:28 pm »
All it is is £43 per game average, based on average ticket price i expect will be generated from the new stadium for league games. By the time the new stadium opens ticket prices way well be touching £40 each anyway

He never walked alone

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 03:27:07 pm »
I don't think it was given any consideration at all from the start. We were just thrust into this new stadium which not the best option for anyone, really. If it were the best option all round it would have been built and opened by now.

There was a huge amount of consideration into it. Designs and plans were drawn up in conjunction with the council at the initial consultation and analysis stages. Overall 18 sites were studied and then three looked into with far more detail. Here's more detail from the consultation report:

Preliminary Assessment
2.33 An initial study of 14 potential alternative sites for the stadium proposal was carried out with a preliminary report prepared in Autumn 2000. This was on the basis of a sieve analysis including planning policy, access/transportation issues, environmental constraints, site size/capacity to accommodate the development, site availability and, as a reflection of the Club’s desire to remain in the northern part of the city, proximity to Anfield. Consultation was undertaken with Liverpool City Council, Knowsley and Sefton Councils and further sites were identified and considered; in total 18 sites were assessed for the new stadium, including an option to extend the existing ground.

2.34 The majority of alternative sites were rejected, following discussions with the City Council, at an early stage of the review process; this was due to a variety of reasons including planning, site, transport and land ownership constraints. Seven sites were initially identified for further detailed review, although most were subsequently rejected for reasons of ownership constraints and conflict with wider employment regeneration objectives across the city.

The plan and table at Appendix 2 identities all of the considered sites.

Further Assessment of Short- Listed Sites
2.35 Ultimately, only three sites were subjected to further detailed assessment; they were Gillmoss, Speke Boulevard and Stanley Park. The initial consideration of those sites was to assess them against the tests set out in para 1.10 of Planning Policy Guidance note 6 (PPG6) relating to whether they were available, suitable or viable for the stadium development. Whilst those tests relate, principally, to new retail development, they are also relevant in the general context of alternative sites assessment since failure to meet any of those preliminary tests would result in the project being unable to proceed; this is also consistent with the leisure development policy of the UDP (See Section 4).

2.36 Following further discussions between LFC and the City Council officers the three short-listed sites were reviewed and discussed in the context of the identified policy tests. As a result of those discussions it was established that:

Gillmoss should be discounted as the site is of strategic importance as an employment site and the area would become the next focus for strategic regeneration and employment in the City after Speke Garston; that site has subsequently been purchased with grant funding from NWDA and is now being developed for employment purposes;

Speke Boulevard would not be capable of acquisition without the use of compulsory purchase powers in the light of its use for storing imported cars in connection with the nearby Halewood car factory;

Given the fact that economic regeneration can play a significant role in addressing the overall physical, environmental and social problems in the city, it would be appropriate for the shortlisted sites to also be considered in the context of economic regeneration benefits.

2.37 Notwithstanding the Council’s advice in respect of the Gillmoss site, the Club’s consultancy team carried out a further review of the three short-listed sites, including a review of the potential to achieve planning permission for a stadium within the time period required by the Club. This had regard to issues of:

planning policy
transport infrastructure and accessibility
environmental constraints
land assembly
economic regeneration benefits
cost.

2.38 Following further discussions with the City Council in February 2001, it was agreed that a stadium development at Gillmoss would not be supported in view of its key employment development potential; and that only the sites at Stanley Park and Speke merited further serious consideration.

2.39 At that time it was generally agreed that the site at Speke Boulevard, comprising a brownfield site, on a main radial route into the city and in close proximity to rail and air transport, was the most sustainable site and the preferred location for the development. However, it was also clear that the site could not be secured by negotiation and that it was only a genuine (available) alternative if the Council would agree to support CPO (compulsory purchase) action to acquire all of the necessary land. Without such action, Stanley Park was the only genuinely available, suitable and viable site.

2.40 Further analysis of the final two short-listed sites was then carried out having regard to the following issues:

economic regeneration;
market and ownership; and
infrastructure requirements.
Regeneration

2.41 During 2001, whilst assessing the potential for economic regeneration in north Liverpool, including Anfield, it became apparent that there were many economic benefits associated with the Club and stadium and that is was desirable to see the Club remain in North Liverpool for economic and regeneration reasons. The local MP (Peter Kilfoyle) led a delegation to the Treasury to address the north Liverpool issue; as a consequence, the Club were advised that a regeneration package for North Liverpool was being prepared and that this should be relevant to the Club’s consideration of alternative sites.

Market and Ownership
2.42 The City Council owns Stanley Park. Whilst it had not, at that time, indicated a willingness to allow a new stadium to be built in the Park it had also not ruled out that possibility. Stanley Park was, therefore, considered to be a genuinely available site. However, the same was not true of the Speke Boulevard site; further discussions with marketing agents and the Speke Garston Development Company highlighted significant ownership constraints leading to questions over the genuine availability of that site to the Club; principally the marketing agent confirmed that ANSA, majority owners of the site, were raising significant local and employment concerns such that ANSA were to make a press statement that the site was not available for development and would be retained by them in connection with the ongoing Jaguar cars operation at Halewood.

A meeting with the Chief Executive and officers of the Speke Garston Development Company on 30 April 2001, confirmed that the Company were neutral to relocation of the Club to Speke as the regeneration of the area was already underway and did not require pump-priming investment by the introduction of a further key development proposal.

Transport
2.43 One of the key considerations in identifying a site to accommodate the development is the ability to achieve satisfactory access and transport facilities. Both sites were therefore subject to initial work to assess transport issues and infrastructure requirements, including liaison with the Highway Authority, Merseytravel, Arriva North West, Speke Garston Development Corporation and the Police. As a result of those consultations, it was determined that the Speke site, whilst more accessible to alternative forms of public transport, would require considerable investment in road infrastructure in order to accommodate all of the new 60,000 match day fans entering the area; the cost of such works could render the scheme unviable. In contrast, the Stanley Park site, which was acknowledged as being less accessible by public transport, could accommodate the necessary infrastructure for a 60,000 seat stadium, and satisfactorily address the additional 15,000 spectators accessing the area. The key difference between the two sites was that the base position is considerably different due to the existing presence of LFC’s ground in the Anfield area.

Summary
2.44 In the light of the above further assessment, it was concluded by the consultant team that Speke was not available to the Club or viable for the development. It was also concluded that by developing a new stadium in Stanley Park there is potential for significant material benefits linked to the regeneration of Anfield and North Liverpool generally; and that those benefits could outweigh the environmental and policy issues arising from development in the historic park. Speke Boulevard was, therefore, finally rejected as an alternative site in September 2001.

2.45 On 11th October 2001 the Club wrote to the Chief Executive of Liverpool City Council requesting ‘preferred partner status’ for the development of a stadium in Stanley Park linked to a commitment to the wider regeneration agenda in North Liverpool. This request was considered at a meeting of the Executive Management Board of the City Council in late October 2001 when the following recommendation was agreed:

1. The Chief Executive be authorised to respond to Liverpool Football Club on behalf of the City Council welcoming its invitation to engage in joint working arrangements to develop its proposals as outlined in its letter dated 11th October.

2. A small team of officers be formed under the direction of the Executive Director, Regeneration to progress this work and to report back to the Executive Management Board as appropriate.

3. The officers be requested to continue to work with the Anfield/Breckfield Community Steering Group and others to establish effective linkages between the development of LFC’s proposals and the regeneration of the wider area.

-----------

Appendix 2

1 Gilmoss Site
Capable of accommodating the development and infrastructure; accessible by public transport with potential to improve access. However a key strategic employment site identified in the Regional Economic Strategy, important for the city due to good motorway access. Grant funding provided by the NWDA the site is now being developed for employment purposes.

2 Walton Hall Park
Greenfield site capable of accommodating the development and infrastructure in proximity to Anfield. However, the development would result in the loss of a considerable area of allocated open space with no opportunity for replacement provision nearby. Potential residential amenity issues. A covenant on the site prevents it from being used for purposes other than a park or recreation ground.

3 Everton Park
Topographical constraints; multiple ownerships; no ability to replace loss of open space. Impact on residential amenity and poor accessibility.

4 Kings Dock
Inadequate size to accommodate stadium development. Significant transport and public safety concerns. Proximity to proposed World Heritage site.

5 Prescott Road
Brownfield site that would be capable of accommodating the development. However, limited accessibility for cars and severe constraints on highways infrastructure. Land ownership and site assembly constraints. Close proximity of residential premises resulting in amenity issues.

6 John Moores/MTL
Brownfield site capable of accommodating the development in a reasonably accessible location. However, the site is a strategic employment site adjacent to the Wavertree Technology Park and identified as one of the key employment sites for the city. Site recently purchased by NWDA for an extension to the technology park.

7 Wavertree Playground
A greenfield site capable of accommodating the development. However, all open space would be lost and there is no potential to replace in the area. Accessibility issues and proximity to residential properties.

8 Former Garden Festival Site
Brownfield site that can accommodate the development. However, significant access constraints and ground conditions issues. Site in sensitive location on the River Mersey and in close proximity to important Nature Conservation sites.

9 Speke Northern Airfield
Brownfield site capable of accommodating the development. Unavailable as required by Speke Garston Development Corporation as a strategic employment site (Estuary Commerce Park) with potential for over 6,000 jobs.

10 Former Dunlop Site
Brownfield site that can accommodate the development; accessible but limited current public transport access. Now earmarked for airport related development and therefore unavailable.

11 Dunnings Bridge Road
Insufficient size to accommodate the development. Accessibility and links to motorway network of concern to the Highways Agency.

12 Stanley Park
Greenfield site capable of accommodating the development. Open space could be replaced in the area (existing stadium site). Retains historic links to Anfield area and offers potential for regeneration including improvements to Stanley Park. Planning policy and transport constraints need to be addressed.

13 Anfield (extension)
Insufficient size to accommodate a 60,000 capacity stadium. Proximity to residential properties raises significant amenity issues. Local regeneration benefits much more limited than with new stadium solution.

14 Stanley Dock
Insufficient size to accommodate the development; poor accessibility issues; Demolition of major listed building and impact on listed dock walls.

15 Central Dock
Urban brownfield site being actively pursued by landowners (MDHC) for high value mixed development, including residential and offices. Land, transport and viability constraints.

16 Atlantic Industrial
Strategic employment development site in South Sefton. LPA would strongly resist development.

17 Garston Dock
Part operational port, the remainder sold to Speke Garston Development Corporation for employment development, therefore, not available. Access constraints.

18 Speke Garston
Brownfield urban site in close proximity to rail and air transport; car accessibility more limited. Ownership constraints require further detailed
review.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 03:35:20 pm »
There was a huge amount of consideration into it. Designs and plans were drawn up in conjunction with the council at the initial consultation and analysis stages. Overall 18 sites were studied and then three looked into with far more detail. Here's more detail from the consultation report:

I remember reading this a while ago actually Steve. Do you happen to have the rest of it? Could you send me it if you do (thanks).

Doesn't really mention much about re-developing what we already have though. Just dismisses all other options in the area because of various reasons, and dismisses re-development because of space issues (now partly solved with the gradual disappearance of the houses behind the Main stand already started.)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 04:00:33 pm »
Doesn't really mention much about re-developing what we already have though. Just dismisses all other options in the area because of various reasons, and dismisses re-development because of space issues (now partly solved with the gradual disappearance of the houses behind the Main stand already started.)

That was taken into account at the time.

You have to remember the club and council had been through the whole Anfield Plus plans in the late 90s which included the redevelopment of Anfield, and went tits up due to the secrecy of the council being exposed with the local community up in arms as a result.

I'll see if I can dig you out a copy of the report - that was copy and pasted from ynwa where I posted it a few months back.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:35 pm »
Cheers mate

The club's silence on issues really doesn't help people's sceptecism. I know they have contractual silence obligations, and cannot speculate on what is not finalized etc etc. But in all the years this new stadium project has dragged on, there has been hardly a word on what is happening other than the incorrect bollocks that is spouted in the Post & Echo week in week out.

Arsenal have had an area of Arsenal.com devoted to the Emirates even before the planning permission was approved. The plans were all there - the documents submitted to the council and a laymans view so all the fanbase knew what was proposed and what it would mean to them. I don't know if its just me, but I want a 10 page spread somewhere detailing why these decisions were made and why it is better for me/you/Anfield residents/LFC. Not a few crappy pictures uploaded to a website 3 or 4 years ago. lfcnewstadium.co.uk was a great site whilst it was going.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:18 pm »
since when was the new stadium only a 55,000 capcaity?

Also when do you expect all this work to be carried out? (especially the lowering of the pitch)

Barcelona did it recently, did they not? I don't think it took them that long.

Think it's a shite argument btw, but I'm just saying...

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 06:58:03 pm »
Not going to disagree with you there.

Maybe I look at it differently because I can get a ticket to every home game and maybe people who have more difficulty doing so would disagree and would prefer a new ground.

But my opinion is that I don't want to move, I understand for the arguments favouring a move but for me I am perfectly happy at Anfield and do not want to move, not now, not ever.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 01:17:41 pm »

Didn't Barcelona do it after they held the Olympics, loweing the pitch to put the new bottom tier in?

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/eng/historia/historia/campnou1.shtml

Remodelling of the first tier of terracing. This work, undertaken over the summer of 1994, lowered the field of play by 2.5 metres to increase the capacity of the lower tiers. Seating was introduced in the areas behind the goals and the security moat around the field was eliminated

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 03:15:47 pm »
This probably because. the new camp has a fucking massive pitch, and there was area around it to take up. annies pitch is one of the leagues smallest..so no room on the touch lines
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 03:57:32 pm »
Didn't Barcelona do it after they held the Olympics, loweing the pitch to put the new bottom tier in?

I just remember hearing that they needed to re-do the grass regularly as a section of it wasn't getting sun!

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 05:29:43 pm »
The Pitch isn't square, is it really viable that we could rotate the pitch 90 degrees without having to redevelop each stand?
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 09:08:21 pm »

Think it's a shite argument btw, but I'm just saying...
It was a fair few years ago actually. The only reason Barca could do this (lowering the pitch) is because they had a huge area between the then front row of the stands and the pitch.

The Olympics in Barcelona were not held at the Camp Nou, they were held in a renovated stadium in Barcelona.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 10:20:24 pm »
It was a fair few years ago actually. The only reason Barca could do this (lowering the pitch) is because they had a huge area between the then front row of the stands and the pitch.The Olympics in Barcelona were not held at the Camp Nou, they were held in a renovated stadium in Barcelona.

It's the stadium where Espanyol play
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Offline BrianL

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 01:10:47 pm »
Cirt of Manchester stadium had the pitch lowered to increase capacity after the Commonwealth Games, so City could use it.
As has been stated, a gap between existing stands and the pitch is required for this, which existed there in the form of the athletics track. Obviously we don't have that gap, so lowering the pitch will never be an option unless the pitch is reduced to 5-a-side dimensions.