Author Topic: Bollocks to the new stadium  (Read 27140 times)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bollocks to the new stadium
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2007, 02:47:39 pm »
Just as another point - doing all this again would cost mega money, the more I think about it, the more it seems like bollocks.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

existing

increased "pitch" of tier 1 and lowered playing pitch

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2007, 02:57:50 pm »
digging down would just reduce the pitch size surely - unless it was a tier build directly beneath or a vertical stand of course - not likely though.

More angle to the stands = more rows (and better visibility) but they still end at the same point, but lower down.

As illustrated in this somewhat extreme example - 25% more rows given the longer length of stand from top to bottom, ad pitch vell below ground level, but stands actually no nearer to the pitch.

You'd need crampons and a rope to get up to the back rows, mind

existing

new
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:01:57 pm by nidgemo 3.11 »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2007, 03:06:54 pm »
The other existing cross section

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2007, 03:48:25 pm »
Just as another point - doing all this again would cost mega money, the more I think about it, the more it seems like bollocks.

In the short term, yes, Tom and George would be paying some massive bills.

But in the long term it would be worthwhile...

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2007, 04:21:55 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Mike and Nidgemo - not sure why I didn't see that myself.

The steep stands would be puuurrrrfeck

where did you get the cross view of the stadium?
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2007, 04:46:47 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Mike and Nidgemo - not sure why I didn't see that myself.

I got it off Mike :D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2007, 05:12:59 pm »
I got it off Mike :D

I got it from Ste G!!  ;)

(his old website lfcnewstadium.co.uk)

Offline paul j

• Kopite
  • liverpool f.c is my religion.
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2007, 07:48:12 pm »
it's probably a non starter digging down further down because the new ground has a 600-900 space carpark underneath.
5 stars upon my shirt.
i am scouse not english.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2007, 08:02:53 pm »

Sorry to disappoint you lads but the rake has fuck all to do with anything. The distance between rows of seats is about 780 - 800mm regardless of the rake - so increasing the rake doesn't add any more seats - just makes it more knackeriing to get to them. Creating a stadium with more pronounced tiers (bigger overlap) would allow more rows of seats within the footprint but would increase the height considerably which may be a problem for planning.

I've said before that the best option is to modify the existing proposals to allow for future expansion - an extra tier or whatever and get the fucker built now.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »
From the Metric Handbook on Stadium design:

24.2 shows the suitable rake,

24.3 shows the difference between a stadium of the same size with continuous rake (as current stadium) and overlapping tiers which will have a smaller footprint but is taller and with a higher cost.

24.4 shows that spacing between rows is set by the seat, legroom and the minimum clear gangway. What I said before is not quite correct - 780-800 is for fixed seats and tip up seats are closer to 600mm - doesnlt affect the basic point that the rake doesn't affect the number of rows on a given footprint.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:22:31 pm by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2007, 10:27:52 pm »
I DO see your point alan, and my trigonometry isn't what it was...

But if you have a triangle, and extend either the horizontal or vertical side, then doesn't the angled side increase in length as well?

Therefore, by digging in, and therefore increasing the length of the diagonal, doesn't that leave more room for seats, even at the same spacing?

Point B - assuming, due to the 700-800 mm between seats, that digging down doesn't add any seats, lets assume the ground is exactly the same as in plans...

Guessing there are 60 rows all round (which there aren't, but for convenience sake) of 1000 seats per row, at a spacing of 800mm

Then a rough guess at the effect of decreasin the spacing between the seats to the minimum legal requirement of 700 mm would give 8 extra rows within the same space, or (in this scenario) an extra 8000 seats in exactly the same stadium....

Is this a possibility? Does anyone know if the planning is for the seat spacing to be 800mm?

What is the current spacing in the kop (because it IS a little tight, but I'm 6'5, and it's manageable enough for 2 hours at a match)

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2007, 10:35:26 pm »
extra info from groucho on soccer24-7

'Apparently..... spoke to my Brother tonight....

They are having like a 2 week deliberating period... while they decide what they are going to do.

Now then... AFL did actually go to them with a 70,000 design, and this was turned down.
However.. they might decide to go back to that design if they realise that the extra costs of a new design will be massive.

Now then....

Here's the bit that might make you lot a bit miffed.... if they want to change the design... the time it will take before they can start construction.... 5 years!!

So???... I might not have been talking utter b0ll0x as Geeman put it then??'

'I'm just telling you whats happened.

I'm not talking bollox... I'm just passing on information that I thought Liverpool fans might find interesting.

I understand there might be many reasons why you find it implausible... and at the very least... unlikely... but I am telling you what HAS happened.

Maybe that will change... and they decide that its too much hassle and go back to the 60K design (which.. incidentally my Brother says is one hell of a boring design... as he put it.. "like a big Reebok!")

but as it stands now... they're not.'

'But the information isn't bollox... its the truth!
Its not a friends' Uncles' mates' Dad... knows the cleaner of the wife of the Architect....
My brother works at AFL... and was working on the drawings... and now he isn't! 

I haven't seen the plans... no.

As I said.... my Brother said in his opinion it is a boring design.. and looks like a big Reebok'

upto others to decide whether he's just making it up and talking bollocks.

"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »
Now then... AFL did actually go to them with a 70,000 design, and this was turned down.
However.. they might decide to go back to that design if they realise that the extra costs of a new design will be massive.

That begs the question - what new design?

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:05 pm »
I DO see your point alan, and my trigonometry isn't what it was...

But if you have a triangle, and extend either the horizontal or vertical side, then doesn't the angled side increase in length as well?

Therefore, by digging in, and therefore increasing the length of the diagonal, doesn't that leave more room for seats, even at the same spacing?

Depends on how much the height and depth of the triangle changes by.  If you decrease the depth of the triangle by the same amount that you increase the height then the length of the angled side wouldn't actually change.  You would need the height of the stand to increase by greater than the change in the depth of the stand.  If you increase the depth of the stand then the stand just becomes shallower, increasing the height just makes it steeper, and if you've been in the upper kemlyn then you know it can't realistically get much steeper than that.

The images of the priory road stand show about a 30 to 35 degree inclanation from the horizontal. The lower tier is much shallower at around 20 degrees (assuming I've done me maths correctly on this, been a good few years since my degree).

The goal ends are around 27 degrees inclination to the horizontal.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2007, 12:18:21 am »
Current plan:

y
  |
  |
  |
  |____
         x

Digging deeper, with a steeper gradient:
y
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |____
         x

(forgive the crude pic)

Digging down would increase the y-axis, increasing height. But, x-axis remains the same. Think of seats as only horizontal, or on the x-axis. It doesn't matter how long the y-axis gets, x-axis remains the same.

So the only way to add seats would be less legroom.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2007, 12:20:06 am »
That begs the question - what new design?

Any new design for a 70,000 stadium they want to pull from their portfolio.

Planning permission is the key (assuming any of this is true) and thats where the 5 year figure (assuming any of this is true) comes from. The council will insist on public transport (rail) into the area being improved etc.

Frankly at the moment, I'm inclined to say this is bollocks, however can see why it could be true.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2007, 06:35:42 am »
Any new design for a 70,000 stadium they want to pull from their portfolio.

Planning permission is the key (assuming any of this is true) and thats where the 5 year figure (assuming any of this is true) comes from. The council will insist on public transport (rail) into the area being improved etc.

Frankly at the moment, I'm inclined to say this is bollocks, however can see why it could be true.

The "rumors" suggests that is the option offered by  AFL and if this new design (could be a 90k or something completely different) then if that is too much then they will reconsider the AFL 70k - either way a change..

this is becoming tedious :)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2007, 09:01:21 am »
Current plan:

y
  |
  |
  |
  |____
         x

Digging deeper, with a steeper gradient:
y
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |____
         x

(forgive the crude pic)

Digging down would increase the y-axis, increasing height. But, x-axis remains the same. Think of seats as only horizontal, or on the x-axis. It doesn't matter how long the y-axis gets, x-axis remains the same.

So the only way to add seats would be less legroom.

correct - also if the gradient is too steep it becomes uncomfortable.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2007, 09:35:47 am »
Interesting discussion. I like the idea about steeper stands and lower pitch to get to 70k. All the infrastructure stuff would surely then have to be looked at again...

Why not try to incorporate some of these things in the roof?

Smiles = $, no?

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2007, 03:06:49 pm »
Triganometry, Geometry ??? Colour, Creed or Roots the only thing that unites us is DR. Martins Boots  ;D

The Young Ones by the way Mr Bolowski around 1984 before anyone asks   ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:08:56 pm by todda »
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline liverpool-18*****

• banned
  • Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2007, 05:36:09 pm »
It would be great if the new kop could be similar to dortmunds were its safe terraces,saw something on the BBC that 92 % want the terraces back.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2007, 06:30:49 pm »
Where do JFT96 stand on terraces?

(Edit: Pun unintended)
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?