Author Topic: Bollocks to the new stadium  (Read 27143 times)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bollocks to the new stadium
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2006, 11:15:03 pm »
You gotta remember though, Arsenal is in London. One of the most expensive for land in the world!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34:25 am »
Liverpool Picks Laing for 200 Million-Pound Stadium

By Sophie Kernon and Brian McGee from bloomberg.com

Dec. 12 -- Liverpool Football Club, in takeover talks with Dubai-based investors, chose Laing O'Rourke Plc to build a new 200 million-pound ($390 million) stadium, three people familiar with the situation said.

Laing, site manager for the 2012 Olympics and builder of Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, won the order without an official round of bidding, said the people, who asked not to be identified before the contract is made public. Dartford-based Laing is Britain's biggest closely held construction company.

Carillion Plc, named preferred bidder on an initial stadium contract with Liverpool in March 2003, was not invited to price the job when the plan was revived, the people said. Sir Robert McAlpine, builder of the Emirates Stadium and a planned 80,000- seat arena for the London Olympics, declined to bid, they said.

Mark Way, an external spokesman for Laing, would neither confirm nor deny that the builder had won the Liverpool contract.

Amy Horsley in the club's press office said she wasn't authorized to speak and declined to put calls through to Chief Executive Officer Rick Parry. Official spokesman Ian Cotton didn't return calls.

It's Laing O'Rourke.

Laing built the Millennium Stadium, built the Man City Commonwealth Stadium and and when bought out by O'Rourke the new Ascot Racecourse Redevelopment, Coventry's new stadium etc. Think they're also part of the London Olympic build.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline GibletII

• Anny Roader
  • Fug Off Luton
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2006, 02:42:35 pm »
Laing O'Rourke have got a monopoly on big stuff in Liverpool at the moment.

Good stuff though, they do a proper job. Thank fuck McLeans never got the work.

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #163 on: February 8, 2007, 05:14:57 pm »
the company i work for supplies all of the concrete and flooring to them we worked with them on  ascot,cardiff and many more so we should get anfield we also supplied wembley(not our fault for the delay) and are preparing for 2012 games which will be huge
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #164 on: February 8, 2007, 08:23:53 pm »
New pics of the proposed stadium as it will look when completed...

Not sure myself - that main stand looks like everyone elses - Fulham, Boro even Chelsea... rumour is the same architect is working on Everton's ground.

Leave it as it is Mr McKenna! next thing they'll be putting a roof on the Kop or fucks sake!
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #165 on: February 9, 2007, 04:25:05 pm »
New pics of the proposed stadium as it will look when completed...

Not sure myself - that main stand looks like everyone elses - Fulham, Boro even Chelsea... rumour is the same architect is working on Everton's ground.

Leave it as it is Mr McKenna! next thing they'll be putting a roof on the Kop or fucks sake!

Yeah this design looks very attractive!!! LOL take it they've only just been released by the new owners?? teeee heeee!!!!!
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline Red Lust

• Anny Roader
« Reply #166 on: March 9, 2007, 12:26:26 pm »
Whats that new fangled reinforced concrete stuff?

Offline red73

• Kemlynite
« Reply #167 on: March 9, 2007, 04:24:38 pm »
Does anyone remember that the 2 sisters who refused to sell their house to enable building of the centenary stand put a curse on the club when the compulsory purchase order was carried out? The curse was that we'd never win the league at that stadium again :/ Luckily for us they didnt include cup games

Offline jimbo147

• Main Stander
« Reply #168 on: March 9, 2007, 11:38:04 pm »
its new,we need to move on with the times,bigger capacity......etc etc....

bollocks.

just my view,but i don't feel its right-and i dont think we've exhausted all avenues of staying put.

whats wrong with knocking down the main stand & the row of houses behind,relocating the tenants in the streets (fully refurb of course) that are derelict,turn and lower the pitch 90 degrees and increase the capacity that way?

surely it would at least match the 55,000 of the proposed stadium?

i look at arsenals stadium & although it looks nice-its got as much atmosphere as a fucking ghost-town,ok-their fans aint exactly the greatest,but even at their best,its shite.

this way,i'm pretty sure it would cost half of that new stadium & regenerating those dreadful streets at the same time.

also,a few quid spare for transfer funds.

i expect a pasting off a few on this,but hey-its my opinion & i dont think its outrageous neither.

Where do you propose we play when all this work is being carried out - certainly aint going anywhere near that shit hole across the park!
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 11:39:35 pm by jimbo147 »

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2007, 03:03:31 pm »
http://www.soccer24-7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128476

some city fan surely talking a load of bollocks?
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2007, 03:18:26 pm »
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2007, 03:22:32 pm »
http://www.soccer24-7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128476

some city fan surely talking a load of bollocks?

Maybe not.

Different versions of this rumour have crept onto a couple of LFC forums now...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2007, 03:32:13 pm »
Hard to believe - we could be looking at a two or three year delay at best. Everything would need to be re-done including Section 106 agreements and the European money would be down the swanney.

It's quite possible that AFL have been dumped after getting planning permission (RIBA Stage D) - happens all the time. Could be that Gillet's preferred architects will finalise the designs with a London firm acting as executive architects.

Like I say, I'd be amazed if it's really "back to the drawing board" Gillett and Hicks would be risking a hell of a lot of goodwill in the council if they did.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2007, 03:42:47 pm »
Maybe not.

Different versions of this rumour have crept onto a couple of LFC forums now...

any links?
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2007, 03:42:59 pm »

It's quite possible that AFL have been dumped after getting planning permission (RIBA Stage D) - happens all the time. Could be that Gillet's preferred architects will finalise the designs with a London firm acting as executive architects.

If theres any truth in it then that seems  most likely , are AFL based in Manchester I think I remember someone saying they were?
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline anfieldanfield

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2007, 04:37:37 pm »
any links?

A poster on 'Est'...

"Apparently Statler and Waldorf (Hicks and Gillett) have sacked the Manchester-based architects Atherden Fuller Leng (AFL) and appointed another firm from London. And just to please all those of you out there that don't think 60,000 is enough, the new architects have been given a specific brief - increase the capacity to 70,000.

I've no idea how they will do that as I've always said the planning permission granted was based on 60,000 (or 61,000 to be more precise) being the maximum limit set after considering the infrastructure and the effect on the roads, etc, of an extra 16,000 fans at each game."

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2007, 05:03:58 pm »
I'll believe that when I see it.

Thanks for the info though.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
it was started before est got hold of it by a manc i believe.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2007, 05:44:46 pm »
A poster on 'Est'...

"Apparently Statler and Waldorf (Hicks and Gillett) have sacked the Manchester-based architects Atherden Fuller Leng (AFL) and appointed another firm from London. And just to please all those of you out there that don't think 60,000 is enough, the new architects have been given a specific brief - increase the capacity to 70,000.

I've no idea how they will do that as I've always said the planning permission granted was based on 60,000 (or 61,000 to be more precise) being the maximum limit set after considering the infrastructure and the effect on the roads, etc, of an extra 16,000 fans at each game."

cheers mate. Can't see there's a hope in hell of an increase in capacity on Stanley Park, and it would introduce  further 2 or 3 year delay looking to build elsewhere.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2007, 06:20:36 pm »
cheers mate. Can't see there's a hope in hell of an increase in capacity on Stanley Park, and it would introduce  further 2 or 3 year delay looking to build elsewhere.

Yeah, at least.

What I think this might have started from is the fact that they have bought in their own guys to work with AFL to share any expertise
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2007, 11:17:14 am »
So, the latest "rumour" is that it's 90k.

Starting to snowball, or does it have some reality behind it?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2007, 12:07:15 pm »
I may be wrong - haven't read through the documents recently - but the planning approval actually limits the size of the stadium to 45,000 (current capacity) and any additional capacity has to be accompanied by a travel plan. The current plans are for 61,000 with associated travel and parking arrangements.

It may be possible to amend the current plans if there is a minimal impact on the external appearance (unlikely) and a new travel plan was prepared and approved but it is more likely that a new planning application would need to be submitted.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2007, 12:09:56 pm »
getting an extra 30k people in and out would be a nightmare - an extra 10 might not be so bad though.

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:10 pm »
something has been a bit odd lately anyway especially people talking to the architects of AFL they seemed to be changing their tune on the spot depending on what people were asking them particularly about the kop stand ,it seemed ridiculous at the time to suggest they were out of the loop.

Even the viewing plans seemed weird ,you would expect a great fanfare ,maybe a lot of the top brass there ,great PR  and a big show out of showing the fans and consulting the public but it was almost as if the club were keeping a distance from it all as well.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2007, 12:30:05 pm »
something has been a bit odd lately anyway especially people talking to the architects of AFL they seemed to be changing their tune on the spot depending on what people were asking them particularly about the kop stand ,it seemed ridiculous at the time to suggest they were out of the loop.

Even the viewing plans seemed weird ,you would expect a great fanfare ,maybe a lot of the top brass there ,great PR  and a big show out of showing the fans and consulting the public but it was almost as if the club were keeping a distance from it all as well.

Good point. I'm not one for believing some of these rumours but that definately explains the poor showing when displaying the plans.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2007, 12:32:52 pm »
Conspiracy theorists, start your engines.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2007, 12:35:53 pm »
There would be no need for conspiracy theories if LFC just told us what was happening

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2007, 12:37:09 pm »
There would be no need for conspiracy theories if LFC just told us what was happening

And so say all of us.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2007, 12:53:57 pm »
I think they would have the decency to tell the design team and others involved before they told the rest of us.  There are potential claims for loss of profit and abortive fees etc from everyone involved so they will be fairly careful before making any official statement.

I've e-mailed a friend (Reds fan working on Liverpool town centre redevelopment) who is ex-Laing O-Rourke and he's digging around with the QS for the project to see if he can find out what's happening.

I'll post anything I hear.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2007, 12:54:50 pm »
Thanks Alan.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2007, 02:05:42 pm »
I may be wrong - haven't read through the documents recently - but the planning approval actually limits the size of the stadium to 45,000 (current capacity) and any additional capacity has to be accompanied by a travel plan. The current plans are for 61,000 with associated travel and parking arrangements.

It may be possible to amend the current plans if there is a minimal impact on the external appearance (unlikely) and a new travel plan was prepared and approved but it is more likely that a new planning application would need to be submitted.

Alan

In your professional opinion - how much capacity could be added by going further underground to pitch level, decreasing the pitch of the stands (and increasing the pitch of a single tier kop) and overlapping tiers on 3 sides, while keeping within the current footprint?

or example

This is one of the stands currently

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:18:10 pm by nidgemo 3.11 »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2007, 02:11:48 pm »
Alan

In your professional opinion - how much capacity could be added by going further underground to pitch level, decreasing the pitch of the stands (and increasing the pitch of a single tier kop) and overlapping tiers on 3 sides, while keeping within the current footprint?

Make sure you quote him for you professional estimate  ;D
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2007, 02:13:34 pm »
FIlling the top of the corners in would add between 6300-7500 people for a start (rough estimate, judging by the cornerless 55k design being pushed to 61k for the lower/small half being filled)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2007, 02:16:19 pm »
Alan

Hard to say (opinions cost money  ;) and stadia aren't my speciailty) - I played around with the drawings that were posted on the other thread but they aren'y really accurate enough. The pitch is already below ground level but could go down a bit further. The big gain would be changing the roof and filling in the corners which would be a shame in my opinion - the "four stands" fell is vital. So the two ends could be extended - possibly cantilevered beyond the ground line. There could be more of the "less-than-optimum" seats at the edges of the stands. I can see 70,000 being squeezed on to the current site - 90,000 seems unlikely given the traffic problems.

Everything depends on how keen everyone is to get this done.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2007, 02:18:35 pm »
Hard to say (opinions cost money  ;) and stadia aren't my speciailty) - I played around with the drawings that were posted on the other thread but they aren'y really accurate enough. The pitch is already below ground level but could go down a bit further. The big gain would be changing the roof and filling in the corners which would be a shame in my opinion - the "four stands" fell is vital. So the two ends could be extended - possibly cantilevered beyond the ground line. There could be more of the "less-than-optimum" seats at the edges of the stands. I can see 70,000 being squeezed on to the current site - 90,000 seems unlikely given the traffic problems.

Everything depends on how keen everyone is to get this done.

example

This is one of the stands currently
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2007, 02:20:19 pm »
And this is a completely unbuildable (and with fairly serious sight line problems for any ball above head height on the far side of the pitch) version with reduced "backroom" areas, but 2 teirs, twice the capacity, and, vitally, the exact same height and ground appearance outside...

Just by lowering the pitch a few (well, 10) metres and slightly decreasing the pitch of the stand.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2007, 02:24:05 pm »
Blimey Nidge, that's some overhang. Would take some nice pillars to hold the bastard thing too ;D

If 90k is anything like real I would bet my bollocks to a barndance that it would be a complete redesign and relocation

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2007, 02:43:10 pm »
Get it built.

I just realised what he's done - just a 120,000 I'm afraid... Stadio da Luz not Maracana!
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2007, 02:44:51 pm »
digging down would just reduce the pitch size surely - unless it was a tier build directly beneath or a vertical stand of course - not likely though.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2007, 02:45:31 pm »
I just realised what he's done - just a 120,000 I'm afraid... Stadio da Luz not Maracana!

You having fun with that delete button, Alan?