Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 54963 times)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2024, 10:44:51 am »

Women punditry/commentary will get better with time. It's still in its infancy.

It really won't, any that are regularly insightful or interesting will get that trained out of them before they are allowed to appear too often.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2024, 10:57:44 am »
It really won't, any that are regularly insightful or interesting will get that trained out of them before they are allowed to appear too often.

Sad but true.

I'd recorded MOTD to have a laugh at the shite, whoever did the comms sounded like she was still in school and she came out with this fucking stupid Soccer AM style thing when he screamed "back of the net" :no :butt
Jurgen YNWA

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2024, 10:58:20 am »
Emma Hayes is always really insightful and interesting but she's not a professional pundit.  I'd imagine if somebody told her she had to talk in a certain way or push certain narratives she'd just walk away and focus on the day job of being an elite manager.

I guess the intelligent, insightful and introspective ex-players generally go into management (as well as some absolute chancers and whoppers).  The truly introspective are probably sick to death of football by the time they retire and get on with a second career/life away from it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:00:21 am by thaddeus »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2024, 11:00:21 am »
Not when he's on TNT/Sky he isn't. I agree t he McCoist on Prime was okay to listen too because on there they concentrate on the football. But on Sky/TNT they talk about agenda driven nonsense and that includes McCoist. It's pretty obvious its t he way the broadcasters want the punditry to be.

I disagree.  People liked McCoist on Prime because he commentated on games that we played really well in and he was really enthusiastic about us.  He's since commentated on games where we've not battered teams and people suddenly didn't like him.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2024, 08:49:16 pm »
I quite like Efan Ekoku, he's doing the African Cup of Nations, but does turn up on foreign coverage of the Premier League. Keeps to the point, intelligent fella
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2024, 10:40:02 pm »
I love Harriet Pryor from the Anfield Wrap as well who is now working for sky full time i think. It would be great to see her come through the ranks and one day be either in the commentary box or one of the studio guests on Super Sunday. She is great talking about the game.
She is getting on very well within Sky it seems. Good luck to her.

Me too. He's refreshingly positive and happy to be there.
Works very well with Clive Tyldesley on Amazon.
Yep them two together are the best commentary duo.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2024, 10:41:35 pm »
I disagree.  People liked McCoist on Prime because he commentated on games that we played really well in and he was really enthusiastic about us.  He's since commentated on games where we've not battered teams and people suddenly didn't like him.
Yeah I think there's truth in that (for some).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:47:34 pm by The G in Gerrard »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2024, 10:45:29 pm »

I couldn't care less what he says about us, and it's nothing to do with the above. TNT/Sky are about agendas and their pundits contribute to that shite, it's why I never listen to any of their comments now either before or after a game. Prime are different the only thing they talk about is the actual match and the whole approach is very different to the other broadcasters.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #328 on: January 30, 2024, 01:11:26 am »
Well, my missus, her mates and reddebs on here for 6 all must be misogynysts then, cos they all cannot stand her and want her taken off the telly. My wife has killed the sound when she's on.

I have plenty of time for Kelly Dalglish, Gabbie Yorath for example, as well as Suzi Perry and Natalie Quirk on MotoGP, as they all know what they are talking about, this one just chats shite for 90 minutes

Why does everything have to be so absolute. Men love women and still treat them like shit in many different ways depending on their upbringing, unresolved trauma, stress etc. The opinion of 6 women you know doesn't validate your point of view. That's just lazy.

As a black man, I can sometimes despise the attitude of black people towards certain topics but that doesn't make me anti-black. Barton is dangerous because he emboldens a certain type of white male in the UK to feel justified in their toxic thoughts and behaviours. There is a duty to not ignore him by opinion leaders and media professionals, but to educate people in WHY his rampage is wrong, not just feeling that in by doing so, they are giving him a platform.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2024, 07:10:10 am »
Me too.

Women punditry/commentary will get better with time. It's still in its infancy.

Why have they all suddenly appeared? Seems a very recent fad.

It doesn't interest me because I don't watch or listen to punditry. At least they seem harmless and don't set agendas against us. Most don't seem worth listening to though and I don't know why they're there.

My theory with pundits is they should be off the telly once they've been out the game for 10 years either as a player or manager. They get badly out of touch. The whole punditry industry is a scam.though. there's far too.many and its ex players who weren't up.to management basically. Now all these female pundits have emerged from nowhere.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2024, 07:11:14 am »

Mccoist was a disgrace in the derby which I was forced to listen to in the pub..like.Andy Gray at his bitter worst

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2024, 09:31:44 am »
Mccoist was a disgrace in the derby which I was forced to listen to in the pub..like.Andy Gray at his bitter worst

It was just typical British pundit loving an underdog story.  Would've been the same had it been Luton against Utd, for example.  And no one would've complained then.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2024, 08:55:28 pm »
It was just typical British pundit loving an underdog story.  Would've been the same had it been Luton against Utd, for example.  And no one would've complained then.

He was talking utter bollocks. Young sending off was clear and obvious (when he'd already been let off once) but he was flipping out about it because it 'spoilt the game' when it was literally the only thing that happened in the first half because what spoiled the game was Everton's tactics (TNT and their shite kick off time not helping either).

Then spent the last half an hour crying and complaining because Konate wasn't sent off for two nothing yellows. Totally moronic commentary, most of the viewing audience would have been Liverpool fans as well which Sky and TNT would do well to remember. Don't expect favourable coverage, but expect better than Toffee TV.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2024, 08:59:55 pm »
Whoever is on TNT comms in the Forest - Arsenal game about Jesus as he ran on to collect the ball directly from a throw in just before he scored

‘the flag stays down’

Believer

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2024, 09:02:09 pm »
Whoever is on TNT comms in the Forest - Arsenal game about Jesus as he ran on to collect the ball directly from a throw in just before he scored

‘the flag stays down’

The dream team of Fletch and Lucy Ward

I did once see a lineo flag us for offside from a throw once, he got dogs for that
Jurgen YNWA

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2024, 09:11:14 pm »
McCoist banging on about how the goal might be disallowed for offside and it's "very close" while not noticing the player about 5 yards deeper than everyone else was classic McCoist.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2024, 09:38:54 pm »
The dream team of Fletch and Lucy Ward

Glad I dodged that one. Dunno which one of them 2 is most annoying. I wonder how McManaman feels about Fletch working with another. Yep, nothing in that one Fletch

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2024, 10:41:02 pm »
I only watch our games as a rule. When I do, I mute the tv unless we score. Listen to the Redmen chat along which is quite good. It's great now. No more verbal garbage from any of them.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2024, 10:51:49 pm »
Equally shite at Villa Park. Bloke gets excited by anything. Bailey was about 40 yards out and if I’d looked away I’d have thought ‘tap in from five yards.’ Awful.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2024, 08:49:05 am »
Dreading who we get on comms tonight, don't want to have to kill the sound because of two idiots chatting shite for 100 minutes.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2024, 09:22:10 am »
Equally shite at Villa Park. Bloke gets excited by anything. Bailey was about 40 yards out and if I’d looked away I’d have thought ‘tap in from five yards.’ Awful.

Fletch just starts talking loudly when someone takes a shot.

"I was just outside the ground before the match and saw a LOCAL BURGER VAN SELLING BURGERS and that was a great chance for Stoke"

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2024, 04:12:31 pm »
Fletch just starts talking loudly when someone takes a shot.

"I was just outside the ground before the match and saw a LOCAL BURGER VAN SELLING BURGERS and that was a great chance for Stoke"
;D

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2024, 04:13:06 pm »
Dreading who we get on comms tonight, don't want to have to kill the sound because of two idiots chatting shite for 100 minutes.
Mccoist is definitely there, he said so last night.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2024, 07:14:28 pm »
Who was the commentator for the Luton vs Brighton match yesterday? There's something about his schtick of over-written and over-delivered soundbites for pretty much every goal that I find really grating.

"There's the Kenny cacophony!" after the first goal.

"They're flying like they've never flown!" after the second.

"This is FLAMING ORANGE!" after the third.

I mean, it was a great performance/result for Luton, no doubt, but you'd think they were turning over Real Madrid in the Champions League final. Just use normal phrases, please, and save the grandiose stuff for truly iconic moments.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2024, 07:50:26 pm »
Joe Cole. Painful listening to him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2024, 09:03:40 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Jim Beglin is a disgrace. A stamp is now a little touch.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #346 on: January 31, 2024, 09:07:41 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Jim Beglin is a disgrace. A stamp is now a little touch.
When Gallagher fell over he was panting for it to be a penalty. He's such a bitter little man.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: January 31, 2024, 09:51:19 pm »
McCoist has been on the drink.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: January 31, 2024, 09:51:38 pm »
I normally like McCoist but he is doing my head in tonight.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: January 31, 2024, 09:54:07 pm »

Same here - there was contact but not enough for Nkunu to jump 5 feet in the fucking air like he'd stepped on a landmine :butt
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 31, 2024, 09:54:17 pm »
McCoist should never be allowed on TV again. He's embarrassing himself. One of the worst pundits I've ever heard.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #351 on: January 31, 2024, 10:00:53 pm »
The once respectable McCoist ruining his reputation by fixating on what would be soft fouls as if they are stonewallers. Bit mad.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 31, 2024, 10:00:56 pm »
McCoist should never be allowed on TV again. He's embarrassing himself. One of the worst pundits I've ever heard.

He's great on Prime, its as soon as he goes on TNT he goes to shite.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 31, 2024, 10:01:02 pm »

He's an absolute dickhead. Was the same in the derby which again will make sure that the narrative after the game is the decisions (along with that Chelsea c*nt Joke Hole). TNT are even worse than Sky with us.

It's always a shitstorm if we dare to get anything in our favour for once.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 31, 2024, 10:01:53 pm »
Same here - there was contact but not enough for Nkunu to jump 5 feet in the fucking air like he'd stepped on a landmine :butt

They've done nothing but throw themselves to the floor all game. Ref doesn't buy it for once and it's a scandal.

Do we want to encourage diving?

Any red who pays a penny to Sky or TNT is a mug.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 31, 2024, 10:04:20 pm »
He's great on Prime, its as soon as he goes on TNT he goes to shite.

Before the game he went through about six players, and described them all as exceptional.

If everyone’s exceptional then no one is.

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:58 pm »
''Fletch'' is shite as well. Mentioned Nunez hitting the woodwork and Bradley assisting every few minutes, obsessively, but always saying the wrong amount. Like he's not even watching.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2024, 10:23:00 pm »
''Fletch'' is shite as well. Mentioned Nunez hitting the woodwork and Bradley assisting every few minutes, obsessively, but always saying the wrong amount. Like he's not even watching.

City supporting twat.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2024, 10:28:35 pm »
City supporting twat.

Supports Forest doesn’t he ?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2024, 10:41:12 pm »
Supports Forest doesn’t he ?

He might do. That's his Twitter bio: