Author Topic: Pro Cycling 2023  (Read 1471834 times)

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pro Cycling 2023
« Reply #30440 on: May 9, 2024, 07:49:04 pm »
Bit odd pogacar didn’t attack there for the stage win. Was within reach you’d have thought
Probably. Thing is, the GC battle starts tomorrow with that ITT and then there's the MTF on Saturday.

Another reason might be he doesn't want to be too greedy.  A Patron of the peloton who hoovers up too many wins can find himself with out friends on those occasions when he needs some assistance and there's no team mates to help him pull.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30441 on: May 9, 2024, 10:03:04 pm »
Probably. Thing is, the GC battle starts tomorrow with that ITT and then there's the MTF on Saturday.

Another reason might be he doesn't want to be too greedy.  A Patron of the peloton who hoovers up too many wins can find himself with out friends on those occasions when he needs some assistance and there's no team mates to help him pull.

Yeah good points. Doesn’t normally stop him winning everything mind :)

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30442 on: May 9, 2024, 10:29:22 pm »
Yeah good points. Doesn’t normally stop him winning everything mind :)
He does seem to have a lot of friends in the bunch though, so maybe it is something he considers
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30443 on: May 9, 2024, 10:39:24 pm »
He's affable. The reason fans warm to him and not to Vinegaard is just that. His media presence, his joking about, it makes people warm to him. Last season journalists referred to his partner, Urska Zigart as “Pogačar’s girlfriend” in a race report from the Women's Tour De Suisse

So for a while afterwards Pogacar referred to himself as the boyfriend of Urska. Things like that are what makes him box office.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30444 on: May 9, 2024, 10:50:45 pm »

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30445 on: May 10, 2024, 04:19:47 pm »
Enough time in hand to sit up and celebrate, in an ITT. 8)

Great ride from Martinez. The GC shakeup has happened.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30446 on: May 10, 2024, 04:26:26 pm »

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30447 on: May 10, 2024, 04:32:08 pm »
Could be a difficult stage tomorrow for Thomas. Lots of good riders not too far behind him.

Offline San Diego Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #30448 on: May 10, 2024, 06:15:13 pm »
Enough time in hand to sit up and celebrate, in an ITT. 8)

Great ride from Martinez. The GC shakeup has happened.
GC looks dead and dusted to be honest.....and with another pan flat TT to come can't see how anyone can overcome Pog barring illness or injury. Not like he is too shabby in the mountains either :)

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30449 on: May 10, 2024, 07:31:52 pm »
GC looks dead and dusted to be honest.....and with another pan flat TT to come can't see how anyone can overcome Pog barring illness or injury. Not like he is too shabby in the mountains either :)
The race to the overall is over, as you say, pretty much. But there's a group of good young riders for whom a podium at a GT would look great to them. Look at the progression of Martinez, three good GC wins at stage races since 2020, Can Uijtdebroeks pay back the faith shown him? And everyone's favourite, Tiberi, is thereabouts, and has shown himself to be a decent rider in the mountains. O'Connor has shown his promise with good stage wins, and placements in stage races, in 21 at the TDF, 4th on the overall. Plapp, a good TT rider and decent in the mountains.

There's still a lot of interesting racing to come.

Offline San Diego Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #30450 on: May 10, 2024, 08:03:53 pm »
The race to the overall is over, as you say, pretty much. But there's a group of good young riders for whom a podium at a GT would look great to them. Look at the progression of Martinez, three good GC wins at stage races since 2020, Can Uijtdebroeks pay back the faith shown him? And everyone's favourite, Tiberi, is thereabouts, and has shown himself to be a decent rider in the mountains. O'Connor has shown his promise with good stage wins, and placements in stage races, in 21 at the TDF, 4th on the overall. Plapp, a good TT rider and decent in the mountains.

There's still a lot of interesting racing to come.
Yeah the podium places look interesting and the white jersey competition is very close......and it being a 3 week grand tour anything could yet happen. Crashes are always a looming threat. Hope the Stelvio doesn't get cancelled although not looking good at the minute due to the avalanche threat.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30451 on: May 10, 2024, 09:18:24 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/88LLYuBIqi4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/88LLYuBIqi4</a>

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30452 on: May 10, 2024, 10:25:51 pm »
Is every professional cyclist now contractually obliged to use the phrase "full gas" in every single interview they do? It's become some kind of linguistic disease amongst them.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30453 on: May 10, 2024, 10:49:09 pm »
It’s very boring when a rider is so dominant. On the other hand it’s also boring when riders refuse to attack or be aggressive (see the Giro last year).

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30454 on: May 11, 2024, 06:25:32 pm »
Like a cat with a mouse, playing with them. Two rest days for the GC, and then another MTF on Tuesday.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30455 on: May 11, 2024, 07:47:57 pm »
Sven's lad. 8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/volRyIycc_c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/volRyIycc_c</a>

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30456 on: May 12, 2024, 06:18:28 am »
Like a cat with a mouse, playing with them. Two rest days for the GC, and then another MTF on Tuesday.

Yeah the way he eased onto every riders wheel who attempted to attack was so easy wasn’t it. We’ll see how Thomas does as the race goes on but assuming age is catching up with him this is a super weak GC field so it’s not surprising Pogacar is so far ahead. Who aside from Pogacar and Thomas has even podiumed a GT? Bardet, anyone else?

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30457 on: May 12, 2024, 07:10:09 am »
Yeah the way he eased onto every riders wheel who attempted to attack was so easy wasn’t it. We’ll see how Thomas does as the race goes on but assuming age is catching up with him this is a super weak GC field so it’s not surprising Pogacar is so far ahead. Who aside from Pogacar and Thomas has even podiumed a GT? Bardet, anyone else?
Off the top of my head, Quintana has, the overall  at this race in 14. Chaves, a second in 16, again at the Giro. Neither are doing so here. Sorry about the short reply, I'm out the door for a few hours of self- harm=cycling.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30458 on: May 12, 2024, 12:52:39 pm »
Quintana won the giro did he not? hasn't showed any form in years though. Caruso also podiumed the year bernal won
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30459 on: May 12, 2024, 04:08:29 pm »
What a sensational finish.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #30460 on: May 12, 2024, 05:08:26 pm »
Yep, sure was.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30461 on: May 12, 2024, 05:18:21 pm »
Yep, sure was.
I was planning on getting back from my ride with around 35 km left in the stage. As you're aware, the weather's been really nice in Liverpool. Got to "make cycling, whilst the sun shines". ;D

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30462 on: May 12, 2024, 06:06:47 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B-qKVgHtIj8?" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B-qKVgHtIj8?</a>

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30463 on: May 13, 2024, 06:23:05 am »
Off the top of my head, Quintana has, the overall  at this race in 14. Chaves, a second in 16, again at the Giro. Neither are doing so here. Sorry about the short reply, I'm out the door for a few hours of self- harm=cycling.

thanks, didn’t know Quintana was even at his race. Or Chaves!

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30464 on: Yesterday at 11:15:20 am »
my velogames team been absolutely nuked in week one. Kooij abandoned now too
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30465 on: Yesterday at 02:21:02 pm »
Yeah the podium places look interesting and the white jersey competition is very close......and it being a 3 week grand tour anything could yet happen. Crashes are always a looming threat. Hope the Stelvio doesn't get cancelled although not looking good at the minute due to the avalanche threat.

The recent snowfalls on the Stelvio Pass, followed by the rise of the temperatures, are increasing the risk of avalanches. The Giro d’Italia organization, in order to safeguard the safety of the Carovana Rosa, has therefore decided to change the route of the 16th stage of the Giro d’Italia, Livigno-Santa Cristina Val Gardena/St. Christina in Gröden (Monte Pana). The lenght of the stage will be 206 km.

The Cima Coppi, which was previously the Stelvio, now becomes the Giogo di Santa Maria/Umbrail pass at 2489 m. Barring a short descent that leads from Santa Cristina to the bridge (2 km, the foot of the closing climb), the last 3 km point uphill. The average gradient is around 12%, with peaks reaching 16% in the first part with tight hairpins.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30466 on: Yesterday at 02:26:12 pm »
Doesn’t do much to the stage really. Such a crap place to put the stelvio. Looks like break will take it today
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30467 on: Yesterday at 02:34:51 pm »
Doesn’t do much to the stage really. Such a crap place to put the stelvio. Looks like break will take it today
Yes, a break stage today. I doubt we'll see any real GC battles until the weekend.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30468 on: Yesterday at 03:10:46 pm »
Surely Bahrain, Decathalon and Visma should be starting to worry about this gap. Bardet is moving up through the top ten. Virtual third place.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #30469 on: Yesterday at 06:22:48 pm »
It's been fun to watch the Giro - but only really to see a master at the height of his powers.

Pogi keeps saying he's only thinking of the Giro - and not considering the Tour. Fair enough - and very professional. But given the GC cushion he has, why not just see out the next 10 days of racing in the "game management" style?

Think about it: Vingo is unlikely to be at his best, coming back from injury. Ditto Evenepoel. Ineos don't have a convincing proposition (Rodriguez still to prove himself a true GC contender). That leaves Roglic - who is considerably older and something of an unknown quantity due to limited racing, new team and (deliberate?) underperformance in the races he's entered so far this year.

The double is well and truly on, isn't it?

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #30470 on: Yesterday at 07:46:59 pm »
It's been fun to watch the Giro - but only really to see a master at the height of his powers.

Pogi keeps saying he's only thinking of the Giro - and not considering the Tour. Fair enough - and very professional. But given the GC cushion he has, why not just see out the next 10 days of racing in the "game management" style?

Think about it: Vingo is unlikely to be at his best, coming back from injury. Ditto Evenepoel. Ineos don't have a convincing proposition (Rodriguez still to prove himself a true GC contender). That leaves Roglic - who is considerably older and something of an unknown quantity due to limited racing, new team and (deliberate?) underperformance in the races he's entered so far this year.

The double is well and truly on, isn't it?
If the double is on, he has to go for the treble. Only because I don’t think it will
Ever be done again
YNWA

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30471 on: Yesterday at 07:53:14 pm »
One moment's  inattention. A sans jour. And that could be the end of any talk of emulating the greats from yesteryear. And, there'd loads of racing between this Giro and the TDF.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #30472 on: Yesterday at 09:41:37 pm »
With any other rider - Evenepoel, Roglič, Thomas (ho ho) - I'd agree with you. But I just can't see a fit and firing Pogačar putting a pedal stroke wrong from here.

The treble - well, that would be an amusing way to get back at (Jumbo) Visma. Can't say I wouldn't love to see him try.