Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 600427 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13720 on: May 1, 2024, 11:33:47 am »
Imagine how we young lads felt 50 years ago when the great Bill Shankly, right out of the blue, called it a day. Heartbroken & traumatised is the only way I could describe it. Turned out OK in the end though didn't it ? Keep the faith. We've got a great squad so our new manager is half way there already. If he's as tactically switched on as many people are saying, then we could be in for more fun times.
A lot of fans around now weren't around when Bill called it quits, so can't really know what it felt like. Those of us that were around and old enough to remember will recall that apart from the blue quarter, the city was bewildered and devastated.

As you say, we got over it and the Club still moved forward, utilising his legacy. The same will happen when Jürgen finally clears his desk too. As a Club, a City and a fanbase, we've got over a hell of a lot in our time. We'll bid Jürgen the fondest of goodbyes and we'll be extremely grateful for our time with him and memories of him, but we'll get over this too, and we'll continue moving forward.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13721 on: May 1, 2024, 11:35:38 am »
Honestly the decision making since 2019 is the probably the most concerning. Just strange choices and unnecessary risks that didn’t seem to pay dividends in later seasons.

We haven't got it right since the summer of the title winning year four years ago. Thiago is a world class talent no doubt, but at his age and injury record it was a massive gamble even on a free (wages is the big issue here in terms of financial outlay), and so it proved. He was pretty glorious in that cup double winning year but outside of that, its a gamble that hasn't paid off, providing no foundation for future seasons that younger players would provide.

Kind of goes against the FSG philosophy of buying relatively young and measuring metrics in fitness, resale value, development, etc. So why did we get him? Again, I'm not doubting he's a top quality player who proved it when he had the chance, but we'd been better off investing the huge wage in two younger but cheaper players in the same position.

Ever since then, recruitment has looked scatterbrained, particularly with the disjointed and erratic forwards of Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo.

In that way, I'm relieved Edwards is coming back to grab the bull by the horns and put all responsibilities back on the data experts and scouts.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 11:40:11 am by mattD »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13722 on: May 1, 2024, 12:20:28 pm »
We haven't got it right since the summer of the title winning year four years ago. Thiago is a world class talent no doubt, but at his age and injury record it was a massive gamble even on a free (wages is the big issue here in terms of financial outlay), and so it proved. He was pretty glorious in that cup double winning year but outside of that, its a gamble that hasn't paid off, providing no foundation for future seasons that younger players would provide.

Kind of goes against the FSG philosophy of buying relatively young and measuring metrics in fitness, resale value, development, etc. So why did we get him? Again, I'm not doubting he's a top quality player who proved it when he had the chance, but we'd been better off investing the huge wage in two younger but cheaper players in the same position.

Ever since then, recruitment has looked scatterbrained, particularly with the disjointed and erratic forwards of Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo.

In that way, I'm relieved Edwards is coming back to grab the bull by the horns and put all responsibilities back on the data experts and scouts.
And yet despite that we were in the running for a quadruple right up until the last international break.  Maybe the wheels were always going to fall off - possibly not helped by the leaking mid-season of Klopp stepping down - but we've still punched our weight this season.

It will be interesting to see what Slot does with this squad.  I don't feel like Klopp/Ljinders have ever had our midfield fully functioning this season which may just be a case of trying to bed in four new midfielders all at the same time but it may be that they're just not that compatible as a group.  Is ending up with a midfield of Endo, Macca, Jones, Szobo, Grav, Harvey and Thiago a result of bad recruitment or is there actually a very good midfield waiting to emerge?  It's certainly lacking a (prime) Fabinho, Rodri or Rice but we all know Endo was ultimately a compromise signing as that calibre of #6 wasn't available after we sold Fabinho.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13724 on: May 1, 2024, 01:12:42 pm »
Looks like Achterberg is also leaving at the end of the season, ironic given his nationality even if he's probably lived here longer!

Big shame as its something else we need to plan for. Hope Taffarel stays as we need some continuity
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #13725 on: May 1, 2024, 01:30:49 pm »
A lot of fans around now weren't around when Bill called it quits, so can't really know what it felt like. Those of us that were around and old enough to remember will recall that apart from the blue quarter, the city was bewildered and devastated.

As you say, we got over it and the Club still moved forward, utilising his legacy. The same will happen when Jürgen finally clears his desk too. As a Club, a City and a fanbase, we've got over a hell of a lot in our time. We'll bid Jürgen the fondest of goodbyes and we'll be extremely grateful for our time with him and memories of him, but we'll get over this too, and we'll continue moving forward.

I think most of those who do remember and are still around probably knew little other than Shankly, you'd had to be in your 80s to probably remember pre-shankly now properly. It came out of the blue with no warning and it was difficult to get your head around, he was just gone. We've had 3 months to do that with Klopp.

It was not really till Souness that we had a hunt for a manager in the sense we understand and even he was of LFC blood.

It's only really this century we've had to find managers anew like recently. Houllier came in without Evans going. Benitez (albeit we'd seen what Valencia did to us), Rogers (who was known) and (ahemm) Hodgson (we knew him as well) were typical appointments after a manager sacking. Dalglish was a known quantity and Klopp was totally exciting from day 1 given what we'd seen at Dortmund.

Arne is probably the first manager we've had who has come in out of the blue and we don't really know what we are getting. I daresay 80% of our fans had never heard of him a months ago, or at least knew very little.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 03:58:41 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13726 on: May 1, 2024, 01:35:09 pm »
Looks like Achterberg is also leaving at the end of the season, ironic given his nationality even if he's probably lived here longer!

Big shame as its something else we need to plan for. Hope Taffarel stays as we need some continuity

Bit surprised to see him leaving. A plus that we have two other GK coaches

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13727 on: May 1, 2024, 01:35:20 pm »
And yet despite that we were in the running for a quadruple right up until the last international break.  Maybe the wheels were always going to fall off - possibly not helped by the leaking mid-season of Klopp stepping down - but we've still punched our weight this season.

It will be interesting to see what Slot does with this squad.  I don't feel like Klopp/Ljinders have ever had our midfield fully functioning this season which may just be a case of trying to bed in four new midfielders all at the same time but it may be that they're just not that compatible as a group.  Is ending up with a midfield of Endo, Macca, Jones, Szobo, Grav, Harvey and Thiago a result of bad recruitment or is there actually a very good midfield waiting to emerge?  It's certainly lacking a (prime) Fabinho, Rodri or Rice but we all know Endo was ultimately a compromise signing as that calibre of #6 wasn't available after we sold Fabinho.

I think we bought very well, all the midfielders brought in the summer I'm a fan of. But it could have been done earlier. This goes back to whether Hendo should have been sold after the contract dispute between Edwards and Klopp, and whether we should have brought Thiago here in the first place. At the same time, it seemed Klopp had his hands tied considering the lack of activity following our title win, so FSG and recruitment team in general must shoulder responsibility here too.

And while we were in a fight for a quadruple up until a few weeks ago, the team was still erratic with performances throughout the season. There was never any real consistency or control of games, and that's not necessarily a midfield issue either. It's possibly a striker issue - Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo are nowhere near effective enough in defensive work as Mane and Firmino were for example. Interestingly, Slot highlighted the Champions League final of 2021 as an example of how important it is to have strikers doing heavy lifting in midfield. He said to his Feyenoord attackers that the only reason both Chelsea and Man City had about 3 shots each in the entire game was bolstered significantly by attackers coming deep and doing a hard shift there.

I can't be the only one frustrated by Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo's ineffectiveness at this. I'm not saying they don't drop back, but they're nowhere near effective enough in doing it.

I hope Slot can rectify it. Whether he does so with these players is another question considering Klopp, a man who's coaching epitomises the all round aspect of a striker, hasn't got the best tune out of them. If Slot's unable to, then you have to question each of their capabilities to play for us at the very top.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 01:38:57 pm by mattD »

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #13728 on: May 1, 2024, 04:35:51 pm »

He's done 15 years now, so he probably thinks its time for a new challenge or something.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13729 on: May 1, 2024, 04:41:37 pm »
I thought this was a decent summarization of some of the factors that led us to Slot
https://www.espn.com/soccer/insider/story/_/id/40053481/liverpool-data-decision-hire-arne-slot-candidate-replace-klopp

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #13730 on: May 1, 2024, 05:35:26 pm »

I think most of those who do remember and are still around probably knew little other than Shankly, you'd had to be in your 80s to probably remember pre-shankly now properly. It came out of the blue with no warning and it was difficult to get your head around, he was just gone. We've had 3 months to do that with Klopp.

It was not really till Souness that we had a hunt for a manager in the sense we understand and even he was of LFC blood.

It's only really this century we've had to find managers anew like recently. Houllier came in without Evans going. Benitez (albeit we'd seen what Valencia did to us), Rogers (who was known) and (ahemm) Hodgson (we knew him as well) were typical appointments after a manager sacking. Dalglish was a known quantity and Klopp was totally exciting from day 1 given what we'd seen at Dortmund.

Arne is probably the first manager we've had who has come in out of the blue and we don't really know what we are getting. I daresay 80% of our fans had never heard of him a months ago, or at least knew very little.
Shank’s resignation was a seismic shock as it came totally out the blue and just weeks after the 74 fa cup final demolition of Newcastle showing Liverpools superiority in front of the whole nation .but the club and the supporters rallied round a certain assistant manager nobody knew and that didn’t turn out too bad !
When Kenny resigned,again it was another seismic shock to the football world that no one saw coming.it was soon apparent that Kenny was suffering from the huge toll hillsborough had taken on him and needed to get away and rec.
Little did we know that we were in decline ,as the 90s wore on we became like other clubs hiring unknown managers,wondering what we’d get ,no more promoting from within .
A week ago I’d never heard of Arne slot ,knew nothing about him.but reading about him and the way he operates and his philosophy I’m looking forward to his era .who knows where we will end up but I’m optimistic which is a far cry from when the owl darkened our door .
Our job is to support Arne and give him a chance ,he’s following a huge legend in the club’s history,a bit like in 74 when some assistant manager who didn’t even want the job did….I wonder what happened to him ?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13731 on: May 1, 2024, 05:46:19 pm »
Long but worthwhile read on Slot's early days coaching and his meticulous, if not obsessive, tactical preparation and coaching methods. Translated from a Dutch article.

''The way of putting pressure, and the variation and intensity involved, is very much like Klopp'' | Profile on Arne Slot, NRC 2023

Thanks for that, really informative. Particularly as it's a Dutch piece and written before Klopp announced he was leaving.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #13732 on: May 1, 2024, 06:13:58 pm »

I don't think the biiggest problem since 2020 has been recruitment, its the lack of recruitment that has cost us, namely January '21 (top of the league, no senior centre backs for the rest of the season, and we do, feck all, have Jurgen tell a stunned press room circa 3rd Jan that signing a CB was "unlikely", then 3 weeks later he lets his mask slip by telling us we have no money, before a last minute bargain basement spree after the horse had bolted and the season sabotaged) and Summer '22 (team mentally and physically drained after the previous season's exertions, in desperate need of fresh blood to galvanise the squad, a new midfielder essential, with Jurgen wheeled out Comical Ali style in August to quell fears by reeling off the 8 "midfielders" we have (Ox, Keita, 36 year old Milner, and others whose legs had gone, Hendo we knew about and Fabinho) and the knackered midfield proceeds to get overrun/rinsed throughout the season).

My only real critique of Jurgen is his lack of disclosure about funds. Expose the pricks who are jeopardizing the good work of not just the players but him. One of the two (or three) best managers in the world who has been held back by the lack of support in building the team. This season too has been affected by Summer 22 debacle as needing to buy an entire midfield in one window, which according to Andy Brassell no top side has ever done before, left us with a mountain to climb and ultimately we have been found out over the past month as the miracle comebacks weren't sustainable with the flaky midfield finally exposed in being dumped out of three competitions, one in a humiliating manner against a 6th place Italian team who overpowered us.

That alleged late 110 plus million "bid" for what was hoped to be a quality DM that we never got and one we have been without for two years, with 10% of that money (more likely the realistic amount we had) going on a player who wouldn't get in a Palace midfield, 90% of that money wasn't spent, so lets see Slot given that this summer. Will he get it? Will he feck.

Thiago at 20 million was good business if the team building is properly backed; we collapsed in his first season because it wasn't, in what was without question the single worst transfer window of any club since the window came in. And the current forwards, very difficult for them to function alongside a slow, disjointed midfield that has to stay close together so as not to expose the unathletic 6.

Jurgen has maybe had one miss in the window: Keita, he misjudged his timid character. Not including the bargain basement signings as they weren't his, he would never have signed a Kabak, (the other CB who didn't play and went to Rangers?), Melo and Endo...two last ditch loans (Kabak and Melo), 500k? for that other CB, and 15 million for the little unathletic lad who Will Hughes targeted. Jurgen's record in the transfer market, when given funds, was extraordinary. Its scandalous he wasn't backed..

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13733 on: May 1, 2024, 06:24:44 pm »
I thought this was a decent summarization of some of the factors that led us to Slot
https://www.espn.com/soccer/insider/story/_/id/40053481/liverpool-data-decision-hire-arne-slot-candidate-replace-klopp

I imagine some people will find that difficult to read as it appears to be targeting our American friends. I read quite a lot of American sports journalism. Ryan’s one of the best writers around and has been for years, I always love reading his stuff.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13734 on: May 1, 2024, 06:33:35 pm »
Jurgen has maybe had one miss in the window: Keita, he misjudged his timid character. Not including the bargain basement signings as they weren't his, he would never have signed a Kabak, (the other CB who didn't play and went to Rangers?), Melo and Endo...two last ditch loans (Kabak and Melo), 500k? for that other CB, and 15 million for the little unathletic lad who Will Hughes targeted. Jurgen's record in the transfer market, when given funds, was extraordinary. Its scandalous he wasn't backed..

You really hate Endo don't you.

p.s. Your statement is wrong Klopp pushed to sign Endo, hes on record stating this catagorically.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13735 on: May 1, 2024, 06:42:02 pm »

This is a good thing in my book. Most of the names mentioned throughout this thread have been boringly predictable, parochial, even narrow minded 

Xabi was the only obvious name that excited me in any way but that’s based on my memory of him as a player. I like what I’ve seen of Leverkusen this season but on reflection I’m not entirely sure he would have been the best fit for us for the same reasons as Amorim.

Arne Slot is a genuinely exciting prospect. Cautiously optimistic that Edwards & co have yet again played a blinder.

Don’t fear the unknown, look on it as an adventure.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13736 on: May 1, 2024, 06:52:40 pm »
This is a good thing in my book. Most of the names mentioned throughout this thread have been boringly predictable, parochial, even narrow minded 

Xabi was the only obvious name that excited me in any way but that’s based on my memory of him as a player. I like what I’ve seen of Leverkusen this season but on reflection I’m not entirely sure he would have been the best fit for us for the same reasons as Amorim.

Arne Slot is a genuinely exciting prospect. Cautiously optimistic that Edwards & co have yet again played a blinder.

Don’t fear the unknown, look on it as an adventure.

Horribly predictable I'd say.

Still can't get my head around the number of people who wanted that Nagalsmann here.

Much happier going for a potential diamond in the rough in Slot rather than somebody like Nagalsmann who would have turned us so ordinary at best, not to mention his toxic personality.

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13737 on: May 1, 2024, 07:28:41 pm »
That alleged late 110 plus million "bid" for what was hoped to be a quality DM that we never got and one we have been without for two years, with 10% of that money (more likely the realistic amount we had) going on a player who wouldn't get in a Palace midfield, 90% of that money wasn't spent, so lets see Slot given that this summer. Will he get it? Will he feck.
Just a quick FYI, Brighton accepted our offer of 110 mil for Caicedo, it's in the public domain.

Clubs don't have a 'transfer budget' they have and annual budget for the squad.  The cost of an individual player includes agent and transfer fee (amortized over the lifetime of the contract) and salary.
Thiago at 20 million was good business if the team building is properly backed;
Thiago costs us 20 mil a year.

Mbappe on a 'free' could cost Madrid something like 100 mil a year.

We will only know how much each club really spends on the playing squad (or 'backs the manager' in tabloid speak) if the league adopt the 'squad cost control' rules they recently voted on.

I'll get my coat.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13738 on: May 1, 2024, 07:46:06 pm »

Not at all surprised he’s going to be honest. I’ve watched him this season in the warm up and he looks to be struggling physically. Age looks to have caught up on him.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13739 on: May 1, 2024, 07:54:03 pm »
Not at all surprised he’s going to be honest. I’ve watched him this season in the warm up and he looks to be struggling physically. Age looks to have caught up on him.

Bloody hell he's only 52!

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13740 on: May 1, 2024, 07:57:27 pm »

Wow. That’s some surprise.
The way he’s walking at the moment he looks 10 years older than that.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13741 on: May 1, 2024, 08:05:10 pm »

If you want to destroy your body play as a keeper for a decade and a half. The stress they put on their body is ridiculous.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13742 on: May 1, 2024, 08:06:40 pm »
Based on the statement on the official site, it looks like he's the one who decided to leave

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13743 on: May 1, 2024, 10:52:51 pm »

Common narrative was that he wasn’t good until we finally signed a worldie in Alisson. Whether true or not, something tells me we’ll be ok
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13744 on: May 1, 2024, 11:41:42 pm »
Imagine how we young lads felt 50 years ago when the great Bill Shankly, right out of the blue, called it a day. Heartbroken & traumatised is the only way I could describe it. Turned out OK in the end though didn't it ? Keep the faith. We've got a great squad so our new manager is half way there already. If he's as tactically switched on as many people are saying, then we could be in for more fun times.
He should slot right in, Mick...
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 11:51:18 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13745 on: May 1, 2024, 11:48:41 pm »
He should slot right in, Mick...

It's funny because his name is Slot and you said he should slot right in.  :D

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13746 on: May 1, 2024, 11:51:37 pm »
It's funny because his name is Slot and you said he should slot right in.  :D

His team has the highest turnovers in Europe, so... perhaps we'll be known as "the Slotmachine"? We may have just hit the jackpot.

We'll "be back"!
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 12:08:50 am by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13747 on: May 2, 2024, 01:15:13 am »
We will only know how much each club really spends on the playing squad (or 'backs the manager' in tabloid speak) if the league adopt the 'squad cost control' rules they recently voted on.
I was wrong!

The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13748 on: May 2, 2024, 01:22:06 am »
If you want to destroy your body play as a keeper for a decade and a half. The stress they put on their body is ridiculous.

I’m only 30 and both my knees are fucked. I choose to blame the 24 years playing as a keeper and not the 15 years of Guinness.

Achterberg has always seemed a great guy, wish him every success.

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13749 on: May 2, 2024, 04:57:06 am »
Thanks for that, really informative. Particularly as it's a Dutch piece and written before Klopp announced he was leaving.

No worries :)

If you enjoyed that, you might also like this from Simon Kuper - a Dutch-born English journo - from the Humans & Heroes Podcast.

Who is Liverpool's new manager Arne Slot?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13750 on: May 2, 2024, 07:01:04 am »
I wonder if Slot is already having conversations about requirements. Getting players in early and part of preseason is crucial.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13751 on: May 2, 2024, 09:00:22 am »
I wonder if Slot is already having conversations about requirements. Getting players in early and part of preseason is crucial.

Feels reassuring to have a Sporting Director and CEO of Footy setup, knowing a manager can't crash in Souness style and fuck everything up with the squad.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13752 on: May 2, 2024, 09:21:20 am »
I think WE are already working on that. When Slot arrives, he will have information and contracts at his fingertips- including potential targets.

It would not be FSG/Edwards/Spearman if that's not in place. That's their job.
They will need Slot's input to "choose", cause he will not be in the capacity of a manager, but a head coach, so part/most of the footballing decisions will be made jointly. Klopp was prolly our last manager(for a while).
« Last Edit: May 2, 2024, 09:23:47 am by the_red_pill »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13753 on: May 2, 2024, 09:37:52 am »
I also found this article interesting, Hazell, specifically the quoted part below:

In other words, Liverpool are aggressive without the ball (low pass-completion numbers allowed) and with the ball (high number of possessions per game).

And guess who else plays like this? Arne Slot's Feyenoord.

Liverpool's games feature 94 possessions per match, while Feyenoord are at 96. Liverpool's opponents complete 77% of their passes, while Feyenoord's complete 74%. Liverpool's average pass travels 17.1 meters, while Feyenoord's goes 17.2 meters. Liverpool move the ball upfield at an above-average rate of 1.26 meters per second, while Feyenoord go even faster at 1.33 meters per second.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13754 on: May 2, 2024, 09:40:18 am »
I think WE are already working on that. When Slot arrives, he will have information and contracts at his fingertips- including potential targets.

It would not be FSG/Edwards/Spearman if that's not in place. That's their job.
They will need Slot's input to "choose", cause he will not be in the capacity of a manager, but a head coach, so part/most of the footballing decisions will be made jointly. Klopp was prolly our last manager(for a while).

When I say conversations I mean Edwards and Slot having a back and forth about gaps in the squad.
For instance, there is no left footed center back. Edwards could say something along the lines of there is no value in DM at the  so we're better off developing Baj until better options become available.
It's no use putting this off till June. The Euros is going to make things awkward as it is. It would be great to have our business done before it kicks off.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13755 on: May 2, 2024, 09:42:17 am »
I also found this article interesting, Hazell, specifically the quoted part below:

Yep, from the data I've seen Liverpool and Feyenoord's are virtually the same. The biggest difference is we are more direct with Feyenoord building though the thirds.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13756 on: May 2, 2024, 09:43:21 am »

When I say conversations I mean Edwards and Slot having a back and forth about gaps in the squad.
For instance, there is no left footed center back. Edwards could say something along the lines of there is no value in DM at the  so we're better off developing Baj until better options become available.
It's no use putting this off till June. The Euros is going to make things awkward as it is. It would be great to have our business done before it kicks off.

100% this is happening, people need to remember we typically work 2-3 windows in advance so our data/scouting team will have been working on targets for this window for some time. I'd imagine Slot has been given a list of players we think will fit and we'll be working on those.

Just like Edwards/Hughes haven't "started" yet they've appointed a new manager and back room team :D

I'd imagine this was one of the reasons finding a manager who plays a very similar way, the areas in the squad to improve will be very similar.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13757 on: May 2, 2024, 09:43:38 am »

For instance, there is no left footed center back. Edwards could say something along the lines of there is no value in DM at the  so we're better off developing Baj until better options become available. It's no use putting this off till June. The Euros is going to make things awkward as it is. It would be great to have our business done before it kicks off.
Thanks- I agree 100% mate.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #13758 on: May 2, 2024, 09:46:56 am »
Yep, from the data I've seen Liverpool and Feyenoord's are virtually the same. The biggest difference is we are more direct with Feyenoord building though the thirds.
And that's what I found so interesting and exciting. They're very much like Brighton/City in buildup and possession, and it's not just possession for possession's sake. They seem to be a team with a lot of different elements of the successful teams, but resemble Klopp's 2016-2021's Liverpool when it all comes together- high-octane devastation.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #13759 on: May 2, 2024, 09:51:37 am »
As previous posters have said, its good that Slot is sorted early doors, what i am happy about is Edwards returning, the guys got his head screwed on, the appointment of Hughes who's clearly a very clever guy can only add to the group as a whole.  It would seem we are returning to a very data driven dynamic, lets hope that it translates onto the pitch.
was on blankety blank once and came second.........