Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 498135 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #480 on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »
Little bit worrying today when he suddenly found himself on the wrong side of the ball in his own box. God knows what happened there.

But he was ok on the whole and it was his best game for Liverpool.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #481 on: March 20, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »
I like Jay.

But we aren't going to win great things with him

Bit like Danny Murphy

Good lad but not good enough for us.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #482 on: March 20, 2011, 09:38:49 pm »
Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Shelvey, Spearing, Poulsen.
This is the current central midfield pecking order (assuming Gerrard is a midfielder and Carroll/Suarez will be up top).

IF we buy another midfielder in the summer then you would have to think he will also be ahead of Spearing. So, good as today's performance was, Spearing will never be more than a bit part player for us. He will either be happy with that, as he will be a home grown player in the 25, or he will want to play more and will go to try and carve out a career with the likes of West Brom.

we definately need someone else in midfield, we dont dictate play enough and havent done since alonso left.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: March 20, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »
People who think that today shows he can sit in front of a back 4 and protect must have been watching a different game.
What today showed is that Spearing's ideal role is the one he has been playing for all of his Liverpool career, partnering a defensive midfielder and pushing the play forward.

Defensively

Won 3 out of 7 attempted tackles
0 Interceptions
0 Blocks
2 Clearances out of 3 attempted

Attacking

Won 1 penalty
1 shot on target out of 1 total shots
34 passes successful out of 45 (4 of which were aimed directly into the box)

And let's not forget he's 5ft 6 so having him on his own in defensive midfield is asking to be peppered with high balls.

He can step in and do a role similar to Meireles, a positive forward looking central midfielder.
He has never and will never be a defensive midfielder, it's not his nature.

He's nowhere near creative enough to do that role properly.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: March 20, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »
think today he would of made Kenny think about being more regular next to lucas.

was tidy with the ball and made runs when they were needed.

those 2 could be perfect for each other.
both are good defensively.

spearing has the legs too

lucas has the brain.

if we can get a partnership that is flexible it can only be a good thing for us.

Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
He's nowhere near creative enough to do that role properly.
I'm not saying he is or isn't all I'm saying is that is his natural position and especially today when he's had a good game playing that position it baffles me to see people saying that today shows he can make it as a defensive midfielder, let alone a defensive midfielder on his own.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #486 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »
Thought he had a better game than Lucas, he is good lad and a good back up but we need better quality to be back where we want to be (and that includes Lucas).
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:33 pm »
Thought he had a better game than Lucas, he is good lad and a good back up but we need better quality to be back where we want to be (and that includes Lucas).

problem is you look around the world today and do you see much betetr than lucas??

i see a few powerful players around but imo their likes dont have the mental capacity to make a team tick from back there.

see a few emerging in germany of late.....bender from dortmund is a decent young player but he is more of an all action ball winner not the type to over see things in front of him and make decisions based on what others are doing.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:01 pm »
Spearing doesn't even play the same position as Poulsen/Lucas, so I'm not sure where the comparisons are coming from.

In our current form, the team plays 3 central midfielders:  1 is a defensive central midfielder (DCM) who sits in front of the back 4 or back 3, the other 2 switch with each other in joining the attack and assisting the DCM.

Of our central mids:  Lucas and Poulsen, and in a pinch, Gerrard are DCMs.

The rest:  Shelvey, Spearing, Gerrard, Meireles, (and sometimes Lucas and Poulsen) run defensive interference and join the attack.

We're actually thin on DCMs right now since we're two injuries away from employing Gerrard in the position, and he doesn't have the discipline to play there anyway.

Oh, and incidentally Lucas did have a good game.  You all out there did notice that Sunderland didn't score, right?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:30 pm »
Good enough game to give us a bit of depth, bit like Park with the Mancs. Nice one lad!  :)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »
I'm not saying he is or isn't all I'm saying is that is his natural position and especially today when he's had a good game playing that position it baffles me to see people saying that today shows he can make it as a defensive midfielder, let alone a defensive midfielder on his own.

People want Lucas gone, and look for any signs as an indication that he'll be gone. Thus they'll look at players like Spearing, Adam, etc. as a sign that Lucas will be replaced, when the fact is they play different roles. I'd like Spearing to move more into Lucas's role, as it'll give him more of a chance of carving out a Liverpool career. But he hasn't done it yet, is nowhere near it right now, and is certainly not a viable competitor at this point as these people are saying.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: March 20, 2011, 10:20:06 pm »
problem is you look around the world today and do you see much betetr than lucas??

i see a few powerful players around but imo their likes dont have the mental capacity to make a team tick from back there.

see a few emerging in germany of late.....bender from dortmund is a decent young player but he is more of an all action ball winner not the type to over see things in front of him and make decisions based on what others are doing.

Lucas plays alright at defensive mid but the thing is he's the only one we've got (because let's be honest we're not counting Poulsen).
Even if we were Man City and could bring in the likes of Javi Martinez, De Rossi, Essien etc. then we'd still need him as backup DM.

Spearing's natural position on the other hand, the one he played today, is one that is hotly contested with Merieles, Gerrard, and Shelvy all seeming to take preference over him.  With us going after Charlie Adam in the January transfer window it's obvious we're still after a central midfielder.  Adam wouldn't step in and replace Lucas, his work rate isn't high enough and he operates as a deep-lying playmaker in the style of Alonso, or Pirlo rather than a tackler like Lucas.

For me that leaves his position in an almost untenable situation.  With Aquilani coming back, or us getting some extra money for him, then we've either got funds or another player for Spearing to yet get in line behind.

If he's happy to be here then great he counts as home grown and can come in and do a job when asked of him the choice now resides with him now because when everybody is fit and when money is spent he'll be struggling again to find a place.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
we could though play 3 in centre mid - in which case even if he's 5th or even 6th choice he should see some games - could depend on how big a squad we run and whether we are in europe or not

does the home grown rule matter for the prem?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:15 pm »
Thought Spearing had an excellent game.

- Some good clearances in defense
- Linked up well in the midfield
- Won a penalty
- Put a cracking shot on goal which but for brilliant keeping would have scored

He'd have to be happy with his game today
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »
we could though play 3 in centre mid - in which case even if he's 5th or even 6th choice he should see some games - could depend on how big a squad we run and whether we are in europe or not

does the home grown rule matter for the prem?

8 of the 25 slots are reserved for association-trained players. For UEFA competitions, 4 of those 8 also have to be club-trained.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:34 pm »
Thought Spearing had an excellent game.

- Some good clearances in defense
- Linked up well in the midfield
- Won a penalty
- Put a cracking shot on goal which but for brilliant keeping would have scored

He'd have to be happy with his game today

Agreed

I think if he scored the comments would be more flattering today.

He's still a youngun and I believe he'll get better as he matures
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Mnemo

• Main Stander
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:23 pm »
Better late than never indeed. I also like it that few expected this off him. Here's to some more solid displays.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
Lucas plays alright at defensive mid but the thing is he's the only one we've got (because let's be honest we're not counting Poulsen).
Even if we were Man City and could bring in the likes of Javi Martinez, De Rossi, Essien etc. then we'd still need him as backup DM.

Spearing's natural position on the other hand, the one he played today, is one that is hotly contested with Meireles, Gerrard, and Shelvy all seeming to take preference over him.  With us going after Charlie Adam in the January transfer window it's obvious we're still after a central midfielder.  Adam wouldn't step in and replace Lucas, his work rate isn't high enough and he operates as a deep-lying playmaker in the style of Alonso, or Pirlo rather than a tackler like Lucas.

For me that leaves his position in an almost untenable situation.  With Aquilani coming back, or us getting some extra money for him, then we've either got funds or another player for Spearing to yet get in line behind.

If he's happy to be here then great he counts as home grown and can come in and do a job when asked of him the choice now resides with him now because when everybody is fit and when money is spent he'll be struggling again to find a place.
I doubt Aqualani will return to Anfield but I agree with everything else you wrote. Spearing is a good kid but at best he's going to be a bit part player. Very good attitude at Sunderland though. Best game for us so far. The "problem" is he's a neat player but nothing really stands out for him.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »
Good today.
Will admit to not rating him as a long term member of the first team squad but it is pleasing to see him playing well today, keep it up Jay.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
Yep..................Jay Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion, and has a lot to offer Liverpool football club.

I just dont get why people were saying he was a shit championship player. Who knows if he will ever really be any good for us, but that performance today from him isnt out of the blue, the lads a good player.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #500 on: March 20, 2011, 11:01:33 pm »
Jay Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion

I can't get my head around that.

And I'm a pretty open minded person.

There is no set of criteria that you can create that would make Jay Spearing as good as Lucas Leiva.

I know you've stressed its your opinion.....but.....ah fuck it.

I'm bewildered.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2011, 11:02:42 pm »
Yep..................Jay Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion, and has a lot to offer Liverpool football club.

Jesusfuckingtittychrist

Offline McFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:36 pm »
that is the thing for me, i think lucas is a bit of a lightweight but he does get around the pitch, he covers a lot of ground.
thats why i`d have him in the side before spearing but spearing impressed me today with his mobility, he was winning penalty`s one end and blocking crosses into our area at the other in the fullback position, he showed a good turn of speed to close one of their widemen down at one point as well.
Lucas does have that kind of 'defending one minute, in the other team's area the next' mobility in him though, but that's not really as vital to the role he performs in the side. Look at the number of times he covers for Agger when he goes on a run. It's about choosing your battles and being disciplined enough to cover your mate when he's at the other end of the pitch. That's what Lucas is so good at.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:07:47 pm by McFan »

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:42 pm »
Jesusfuckingtittychrist

I'm glad you've reacted in a similar way haha!

At least I know its not just me that reads things like that and scratches their head.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: March 20, 2011, 11:07:54 pm »
Made himself stand out for the first time, good on the lad.

You can't deny he wants to play proper footy.  Him and Lucas are very similar in that respect, keep it on the deck as much as possible.  They both need more talented players alongside them to create real space but for the time being I'm more than happy with him being another option as a water carrier.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #505 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:20 pm »

I just dont get why people were saying he was a shit championship player. Who knows if he will ever really be any good for us, but that performance today from him isnt out of the blue, the lads a good player.
Dogshite mate.

But just to be clear, and because these things are important. Dog. Shite.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
Was it him who played that clipped ball to Suarez which ripped their defence in two?  Can't remember.

Offline RedStevie1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: March 20, 2011, 11:14:51 pm »
Was it him who played that clipped ball to Suarez which ripped their defence in two?  Can't remember.

Yep.

And people saying he's not good enough to be part of a trophy winning team, are the likes of Gibson and Fletcher? Fletcher has improved a fair bit over the years. Spearing could be a decent squad member for us. Their is some weird dislike for him on this forum though and has been for a while.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »
Why would he threaten Lucas?  He was not playing as the holding player today in fact he was playing the Gerrard role in the team does you think that he will keep Gerrard out of the team when he comes back?   

Good performance today but he is going to have to up his game even more to make it anywhere near a first team player.  Todays performance should be what we see from him on a game by game basis to make it as a squad player at the level we want to get to let alone a regular first teamer.

Fucking hell mate, give him a break he has started 3 games for us this season. Just admitt you had him pegged as shite, before youd really seen him play. He may never turn into a world beater, but just give credit where credit is due, or you look like you have a petty agenda.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:59 pm »
I can't get my head around that.

And I'm a pretty open minded person.

There is no set of criteria that you can create that would make Jay Spearing as good as Lucas Leiva.

I know you've stressed its your opinion.....but.....ah fuck it.

I'm bewildered.

Just saying it how i see it mate, i know its a bit controversial, but i've been saying it for a while.

Its a game of opinions isnt it. Not my fault you havent got a clue.

Offline rednich85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »
Not my fault you havent got a clue.

Says he who thinks Jay Spearing is on a par with Lucas hahaha its fucking hysterical.

@rednich85

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: March 20, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »
Easily good enough to have a role here, although as a starter? maybe not, never stops looking for or wanting the ball, passes quickly and moves.
he has his obvious limitations but the lad is head and shoulders above Poulsen as a player....(not literally, Jay isnt head and shoulders above my 5yr old!!)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »
Best game for us today. Nearly hit a belter with his left peg too.

Streets ahead of Poulsen. Far more in his locker.

Good on him, I say.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:47 pm »
Its a game of opinions isnt it. Not my fault you havent got a clue.
But you suggesting Jay is as good Lucas just isn't accurate is it?

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:39 pm »
Yep.

And people saying he's not good enough to be part of a trophy winning team, are the likes of Gibson and Fletcher? Fletcher has improved a fair bit over the years. Spearing could be a decent squad member for us. Their is some weird dislike for him on this forum though and has been for a while.

Well that was a pass that Xavi would be proud of.  First time I've seen him do it granted, but if he can pull that sort of stuff off on anything like a regular basis then he is going to prove a lot of people wrong.

I'm still far from convinced myself, but I'm more than happy to see this guy get a chance.  And with Kenny preferring the 3 CMs it looks like it is going to happen.

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2011, 11:37:25 pm »
It seems like we continue to have the same conversation with Jay. He comes on once in a while, probably every three weeks, and really does a good job. He makes good tackles, has a decent passing range, and most importantly plays with a lot of passion, conviction at heart. However, after every one of these performances, I see a slew of quotes that essentially amount to: "good performance, too bad he will only be a championship player."

But why? For what reason? It's not like a Degen or Voronin situation where he goes out there time after time and is complete and utter shite and we all know it. He goes out and does a job for us. In my opinion, he could be a squad player. His work rate is phenomenal, and the few games I have seen him in this season, Everton, Sunderland, the occassional Europa League game, he's looked up to the task, certainly better than Poulsen.

I wish people would stop overexaggerating in the other direction when it comes to English/local players. Because the media seem to drool over Britain's finest, people seem to think to prove their footballing knowledge they have to overcompensate by dramatically underrating players on our team that are English. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Why can't posters just say, "well in Jay, played well, hopefully he continues to play like that down the line" instead of "too bad he's a championship player" or on the other end of the spectrum, "could be better than Masch, better than Lucas now."

Just let the lad play. In my opinion, he was great today, perhaps MOTM to be perfectly honest. Well in Jay, hopefully he continues to play like that down the line.
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2011, 11:39:54 pm »
Made himself stand out for the first time, good on the lad.

You can't deny he wants to play proper footy.  Him and Lucas are very similar in that respect, keep it on the deck as much as possible.  They both need more talented players alongside them to create real space but for the time being I'm more than happy with him being another option as a water carrier.

Good point, Jay always looks to play on the ground, pass it and move, in the style of Liverpool sides of old, and has never been scared to continue his movement forward and get on the edge of the box to try a defence splitting pass or shoot.

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »
He brings a lot of energy to the midfield and makes himself available for a pass and is getting better with his range of passing.
I would only put him behind Gerrard and Lucas in the middle and is a great option to have.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2011, 11:43:27 pm »
Good backup player..........
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
Impressed me today. He's not a bad player Jay, and he did well. Deserved a goal with that left footed strike, but his overall game was tidy and he made some good breaks forward. Hoping he keeps it up, I'd be made up if the lad could show he has a future here!
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."