Author Topic: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never  (Read 500854 times)

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jay Spearing- Better Late than Never
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »
Probably because he wanted one of his men in the dressing room, the only Fulham players he could buy were ones Fulham wanted rid of hence PFK and Hodgson had managed Poulson at FC Copenhagen.
Utter bollocks, seriously fella stop rewriting history.
Fulham desperately wanted to keep Konchesky and were livid that Hodgson went back on his word & tried to sign him.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline tboz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »
I wonder with players liek him, for me he seems to be the next guthrie or welsh, and if thats the case tthen that fine, the previous two were sold but as long as he is happy as a back-up then why not have one of your own productions doing a job when they can?

As long as we have 2 or 3 good replacements before him then thats fine, and with the new player rules set he also is a bonus when it comes to squad registration.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:03 pm »
Yep..................Jay Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion, and has a lot to offer Liverpool football club.

Bollocks. Suarez and Reina are better than both of them.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:35 am »
I'm not a massive Spearing fan but he could well turn out to be a useful squad member, especially if he's happy to stay around his local club and not moan about sitting on the bench.

Think he's deservedly a fair bit behind Lucas in the pecking order though.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:49 am »
What Kenny said ...

"The wee man did really well the third game in against Everton," said Dalglish. "He never knew he had a stress fracture and he played. We had to give it time to heal or we'd have lost him for the whole season.

"I think we made the right decision because he played really well. He's spirited, he can see a pass and intercept too. He's not 6ft 2 but he's still a decent footballer and he did very well today.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #525 on: March 21, 2011, 12:40:55 am »
Impressed with him big style today. However it is the first time he has in honesty.

I hope he can prove his worth here, I really do. Local lads need to be in the squad on merit first, but if he doesn't mind being a backup player then I see no reason why he shouldn't stick about.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #526 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:29 am »
Really impressed with Speo today. He's getting better and better with every game. The confidence he's getting from Kenny's faith in him is paying dividends.

Keep on pushing lad, you're gonna prove a lot of people wrong. Including me to be honest ;)

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #527 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:25 am »
Just saying it how i see it mate, i know its a bit controversial, but i've been saying it for a while.

Its a game of opinions isnt it. Not my fault you havent got a clue.
;D

Lad done well today. Solid in there
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:53:49 am by Lethal »

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:44 am »
Bollocks. Suarez and Reina are better than both of them.

:lmao
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:19 am »
But every time I see him, I just can't help thinking that he fucking looks like Benjamin Button.

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:57 am »
But every time I see him, I just can't help thinking that he fucking looks like Benjamin Button.

Elderly Brad Pitt hates you.

Offline liverpoolsox

• Kopite
  • Camarero
« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2011, 03:28:23 am »
Honestly thought he was man of the match today excellent in the tackle, excellent distribution, and made the "Penalty"
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:21 am »
I'm not a massive Spearing fan but he could well turn out to be a useful squad member, especially if he's happy to stay around his local club and not moan about sitting on the bench.

Think he's deservedly a fair bit behind Lucas in the pecking order though.

Lucas was shite for three seasons,and finally he's an avarage player now

Spearing got only few games...so you cant judge him by few games,and you dont know is he going to sit on the bench or not,because  he's getting better and better,and reaching some experience

"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:11 am »
I thought he had a really good game. Was very impressed with him. Let's hope he can push on from here.

As my Dad said, "that goblin boy had a good game" :)
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #534 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:45 am »
Motm today for me. Well done lad.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #535 on: March 21, 2011, 03:32:55 am »
Good run out for Jay today, didn't just put himself about either, showed that he does have an eye for a pass at times as well. If noting else, he's shown that from now until the rest of the season, the only way that Poulsen should play ahead of him is if jay's injured. It's that simple. I think we'll see that midfield from now on starting each game. He can only get better as the understanding on the pitch with the players around him grows. Shame that shot didn't go in, it was a decent effort too!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:15 am »
contact only on the right foot at this moment.  no contact previous to this on either foot.   ;)

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2011, 04:37:16 am »
Impressed with him big style today. However it is the first time he has in honesty.

I hope he can prove his worth here, I really do. Local lads need to be in the squad on merit first, but if he doesn't mind being a backup player then I see no reason why he shouldn't stick about.

Exactly how I feel

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:36 am »
Little bit worrying today when he suddenly found himself on the wrong side of the ball in his own box. God knows what happened there.

But he was ok on the whole and it was his best game for Liverpool.
Much less pointing as well.

Good game, well played.  To extrapolate anything, one way or another, from that game would be unwise.  Let him play a few more and then let's reassess his worth.

I suspect that he will be decent as a 4th or 5th choice CM, squad and cup game player. Wouldn't mind being proved wrong of course.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: March 21, 2011, 04:51:42 am »
contact only on the right foot at this moment.  no contact previous to this on either foot.   ;)

So is that a penalty under the rules? It appears the tackle occured outside the box but most of Spearings body is in fact inside the box.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:46 am »
I suspect that he will be decent as a 4th or 5th choice CM, squad and cup game player. Wouldn't mind being proved wrong of course.
Yes, we need 5 central midfielders,maybe 6, since Kenny often uses 3 in a game. If Jay keeps that level up he can be one of them.  We'll still need another though. Also, I don't think it will be long before Shelvey goes past him.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: March 21, 2011, 05:01:25 am »
So is that a penalty under the rules? It appears the tackle occured outside the box but most of Spearings body is in fact inside the box.

No, it's where the foul occurs that counts, otherwise Peter Crouch could win a penalty by tripping in the centre circle.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: March 21, 2011, 05:03:00 am »
Yes, we need 5 central midfielders,maybe 6, since Kenny often uses 3 in a game. If Jay keeps that level up he can be one of them.  We'll still need another though. Also, I don't think it will be long before Shelvey goes past him.

I'm pretty sure Shelvey was ahead of Spearing in the pecking order, and would have remained so were it not for his injury. Then again, Jay was injured when Jonjo was getting regular sub appearances, so I may be wrong. Shelvey is certainly the greater talent from what I've seen.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2011, 05:04:06 am »
Yep..................Jay Spearing is as good as Lucas in my opinion, and has a lot to offer Liverpool football club.

I just dont get why people were saying he was a shit championship player. Who knows if he will ever really be any good for us, but that performance today from him isnt out of the blue, the lads a good player.

I do not agree with your opinion.  :no

Who says you can't be civil? ;D
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline IndianaRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:35 am »

not 100% sure.  i'd think it was a penalty as there's at least a significant portion of the player's body in the box, and to me if there's a significant portion of the player's body in the box it doesn't matter on what body part he is fouled, it's still a foul and the player is for the most part in the box... and the advantage is [supposed to be (i think?)] given to the attacker in close referee calls. 

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: March 21, 2011, 05:10:58 am »
not 100% sure.  i'd think it was a penalty as there's at least a significant portion of the player's body in the box, and to me if there's a significant portion of the player's body in the box it doesn't matter on what body part he is fouled, it's still a foul and the player is for the most part in the box... and the advantage is [supposed to be (i think?)] given to the attacker in close referee calls.

So I guess it was not a wrong decision, just a fortunate one (for us).
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:47 am »
So I guess it was not a wrong decision, just a fortunate one (for us).

No, it WAS a wrong decision, IndianaRed's analysis is incorrect. I suffered through a year of refereeing so I know more about the rules than those whinging, screaming, swearing, diving, cheating fucknoses I babysat every Saturday morning would give me credit for. :) It's where the contact happens that counts, and in this case the contact was clearly outside the box.

Offline IndianaRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:55 am »
well don't take my word as law or anything.  just speculating based on what makes most sense to me.  i am not and never have been a referee or anything.  i re-imagine it as a situation where an attacker is in the box running along the edge of the box, and he's holding his arm out well over the line and an opposition player clearly and completely in the outfield pulls the guys arm and the attacker falls down.  the point of contact of the foul technically was outside the box but i'd like to think that would not just be called a foul but a penalty since the attacker was obviously inside the box.  again to me it makes no difference if the foul was on the arm or if the guy took his legs out in a slide tackle... the attacker was inside the box when the foul occurred.  and to me that means peno.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:25:46 am by IndianaRed »

Offline IndianaRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: March 21, 2011, 05:25:23 am »
(categorize this under "desperately trying to justify it"  :wave )

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #549 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:18 am »
He was good today. Never understand all the "Don't think Spearing is good enough" comments because I do not watch the reserves but its the performance in the first xi that counts. Thought he kept to the basics of CM really well; disciplined, kept possession, and got the ball in the right places. He's also faster than poulsen and doesn't lose possession by misplacing his passes so I do think he should be in front of poulsen in the pecking order.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #550 on: March 21, 2011, 05:34:17 am »
Thought he played well yesterday. I still dont think hes the sort of player that can help take us to the next level. He could become a useful squad player for us though. He's definitely better then Poulsen anyway.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:06 am »
I would prefer to let him go out on loan rather than have him on the bench next season. It would improve his value tremendously if he consistently performs like yesterday.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Luis Carroll

• Main Stander
« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:41 am »
I just hope Complacency doesn't set in, as he begins to think, everything is going his way... still a long ways to go, room for more progress which will occur as he gets more and more game time....

He can be like Fletcher for us.... who was very underrated in the early years, but has proven to be an invaluable first team player... Though i don't think he will be first choice for the playing XI, nonetheless he is an option we can consider when the opposition is difficult to break down, and we need someone who is tenacious, press higher and play with heart....

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:43 am »
I'm one of the people that think he's not good enough. I still think that. That's not a dig at the lad. I honestly wish he was the sort of player that is going to push us back to the top. I wish people on here would pack in this hero worship and attacking anyone who in anyway criticises any of our players. It's fucking ridiculous. I actually get a laugh reading the comments now. It's like we all have to be teenage girls talking about our bestest pop idol. Fuckin ubber fans, aren't they a lark... well done to Jay. He played really well. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong, becomes a valuable and valued squad member and helps LFC regain it's perch at the top of the English and European game. But 1 good game against Sunderland is enough to change my mind...
Jay certainly wouldn't be the first out the door, but he would be put in the group that's up for sale along with Carragher. Please don't start going on about the likes of Poulsen and Konky being ahead of them or how we need Jay and Carra... I didn't say they'd be in the group that I'd tell to empty their locker this morning and fuck off never to come back. I said they belong in the group that we need to upgrade as money allows. But I still expect a mauling from their teeny boppers.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Aaronb121

• Kopite
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:52 am »
Definitely not good enough for a top 6 side. He isn't exactly young anymore either, he is 23 this year.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:41 am »
Had a good game yesterday and seemed alot more happy playing central than pushed out wide like he was at Braga away (See Raul Meireles- Sunderland).

He made some great contributions but i'm still unsure about whether he's good enough for regular first team. I think Spearing will probably be a kind of John O'Shea kind of player. Never sets the world on fire, doesn't play every week but can be relied upon to get the job done when called in.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:28 am »
He did pretty well today.  I think his reputation when he came into the team will go against him in the sense that he'll never be considered first choice.   At one point he'll have to look at the situation and ask himself whether he wants to stay on the bench/reserves for Liverpool, or play first team football in a smaller team.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:23 am »
Had a good game yesterday and seemed alot more happy playing central than pushed out wide like he was at Braga away (See Raul Meireles- Sunderland).

He made some great contributions but i'm still unsure about whether he's good enough for regular first team. I think Spearing will probably be a kind of John O'Shea kind of player. Never sets the world on fire, doesn't play every week but can be relied upon to get the job done when called in.

If the lad kept on improving and put in decent performances when called upon, I'd have no problem keeping him in the squad. But once he became the top of the deadwood pile, I'd upgrade. When we start settling for this type of player, we are settling for mediocrity.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
If the lad kept on improving and put in decent performances when called upon, I'd have no problem keeping him in the squad. But once he became the top of the deadwood pile, I'd upgrade. When we start settling for this type of player, we are settling for mediocrity.
Have to agree. He's about Carroll's age and I havn't seen him shine yet. He played well yesterday, but the rest of this season is about his last chance to prove that he's good enough for Liverpool. We can afford better and younger players.

And if Ryan Babel was here, he would say "Never late is better".

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #559 on: March 21, 2011, 09:27:16 am »

Exactly. It's a squad game, not a "first XI or sold". Like I said previous, Park wouldn't get into most Prem starting teams but he's a useful high energy midfielder for the mancs. Jay can provide a similar option to us.