Author Topic: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there  (Read 27988 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Famous Liverpool Matches - I was there
« Reply #240 on: March 8, 2023, 08:03:56 pm »
Don't think any match I've been to before Sunday is good enough for this thread, but I'll be able to tell my grandkids I was at this one  ;D

I saw us beat them 4-0 (Beardsley hat trick), but that’s smallfry now!

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #241 on: March 8, 2023, 10:56:43 pm »
It is clear from some of your comments :

The past = yesterday
The future = tomorrow

It is slightly richer than that.

Offline DTRed

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: March 9, 2023, 02:08:34 am »
My memory is a bit jaded but I was spoiled for the first 3 games I ever went to as an 11yr old.

March 84 - Maine Rd for the Milk Cup final replay. I say my memory is a bit jaded as I remember that all of the media and press coverage up to the final and the replay was about it being "friendly" and that fans were sat mixed together in places - perhaps somebody can confirm this. Either way the blue mood changed once Souness beat fat Nev from outside the box on the turn. :)

April 84 - At home to West Ham 6-0 - Rush 2, Dalglish, Souness 2 and Whelan.  Tore them a new one and I went home on such a high only to be gutted when we lost to Stoke and then listened on the radio (the original stream) as we nervously drew with Leicester.

October 84 - Benfica at home - Rush Hat-trick ! (Question, did home European games have away fans in a different part of the ground? I remember we were seated in the Anny Rd end where away fans are always sat now. I've argued with my brother but he was 9 and says he can't remember. Anyone?)

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #243 on: March 9, 2023, 08:36:20 am »
My memory is a bit jaded but I was spoiled for the first 3 games I ever went to as an 11yr old.

March 84 - Maine Rd for the Milk Cup final replay. I say my memory is a bit jaded as I remember that all of the media and press coverage up to the final and the replay was about it being "friendly" and that fans were sat mixed together in places - perhaps somebody can confirm this. Either way the blue mood changed once Souness beat fat Nev from outside the box on the turn. :)

April 84 - At home to West Ham 6-0 - Rush 2, Dalglish, Souness 2 and Whelan.  Tore them a new one and I went home on such a high only to be gutted when we lost to Stoke and then listened on the radio (the original stream) as we nervously drew with Leicester.

October 84 - Benfica at home - Rush Hat-trick ! (Question, did home European games have away fans in a different part of the ground? I remember we were seated in the Anny Rd end where away fans are always sat now. I've argued with my brother but he was 9 and says he can't remember. Anyone?)

You’re right, the away fans used to be on the other side, next to the Kemlyn Road /  Kenny Dalglish stand
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 9, 2023, 08:41:41 am »
^ west ham fans started doing the Hokey Pokey at about 4-0  ;D

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 9, 2023, 09:47:07 am »
I consider myself very lucky to have been at Anfield through the late 60s,70s and 80s and for most of the big games . I don't go very often these days, not least because it's not easy to get a ticket when I come home. The last time I stood on the Kop stands out though. It was the 3-3 draw with United after trailing 3-0. I think it was in 1994. Coming back from 3-0 down felt like a win

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #246 on: March 9, 2023, 10:50:00 am »
Middlesborough away 1981...midweek few weeks before Paris...about 25/30 Liverpool fans there....rest of you just glory hunters!!

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 9, 2023, 11:03:56 am »
Middlesborough away 1981...midweek few weeks before Paris...about 25/30 Liverpool fans there....rest of you just glory hunters!!

I was one of the 25/30. Then again it was only an hour down the A19 for me. Stuck in that godforsaken corner of Ayresome Park, never the best of aways Middlesbrough.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #248 on: March 9, 2023, 11:10:40 am »
I was sat behind Salah in the Main Stand for his thunder-bastard against Chelsea in 2019.

Breath-taking

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 9, 2023, 11:28:33 am »
I was sat behind Salah in the Main Stand for his thunder-bastard against Chelsea in 2019.

Breath-taking

Me too, right behind it. His song was fucking deafening after that all round the ground. Got to the 2nd to last game on the standing kop too. 1-1 with Coventry I think, my only time in the Kop.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #250 on: March 9, 2023, 11:36:21 am »
Wolves away last game of the 76 season. Epic night. Too much happened to explain to youngsters in a few lines. Would take a few chapters of a book.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #251 on: March 9, 2023, 11:40:36 am »
I consider myself very lucky to have been at Anfield through the late 60s,70s and 80s and for most of the big games . I don't go very often these days, not least because it's not easy to get a ticket when I come home. The last time I stood on the Kop stands out though. It was the 3-3 draw with United after trailing 3-0. I think it was in 1994. Coming back from 3-0 down felt like a win
I was middle of the Kop for that one. A great draw! They went 0-3 up quite early on but kicking towards the Kop we were back to 2-3 by half time. Ruddock with the equaliser in the second half.

I was in the same spec for the 3-3 a few years earlier too, 1988? This time a draw that felt like a defeat as we were 3-1 up at one stage and had a great side of course. A team that weren’t in the habit of letting leads slip.

Couldn’t tell you which one it was, but before one United game, there’d been a story about Bryan Robson flashing in a pub. So the Kop sang Robson Robson Show us yer dick.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #252 on: March 9, 2023, 11:58:49 am »
I was middle of the Kop for that one. A great draw! They went 0-3 up quite early on but kicking towards the Kop we were back to 2-3 by half time. Ruddock with the equaliser in the second half.

I was in the same spec for the 3-3 a few years earlier too, 1988? This time a draw that felt like a defeat as we were 3-1 up at one stage and had a great side of course. A team that weren’t in the habit of letting leads slip.

Couldn’t tell you which one it was, but before one United game, there’d been a story about Bryan Robson flashing in a pub. So the Kop sang Robson Robson Show us yer dick.

Sky used image of the Kop that night for years as part of intro.. all the flairs looked like Hell....last game of the old Kop v the Mancs...brilliant atmosphere...pity we didn't win 4-3...but lets face it your never gonna see seven goals in a game v the Mancs at Anfield.....

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 9, 2023, 01:15:45 pm »
Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Not just the score next week but I was there in 2009 :)
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: March 9, 2023, 01:40:37 pm »
v Auxerre in the 1991 UEFA Cup

One of our first seasons back in Europe....2-0 down from the first leg.....won 3-0....Mark Walters racing through from the half way, late on to score the third

Stadium was only about 2 thirds full but was as good an atmosphere as I've ever experienced.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #255 on: March 9, 2023, 02:17:10 pm »
Like a few have said that 3 - 3 against United . The first Newcastle 4 - 3 and of course Istanbul .  Iam sure there's more .  Oh. The 5 - 0 against Forest in 88.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #256 on: March 9, 2023, 02:22:40 pm »
Like a few have said that 3 - 3 against United . The first Newcastle 4 - 3 and of course Istanbul .  Iam sure there's more .  Oh. The 5 - 0 against Forest in 88.

That Forest 5-0 was my best as a kid I think. Sme season I also went to the 2-0s against Everton and Arsenal, both of which had some pretty famous goals (Aldridge v Arsenal after McMahon had sprinted to keep the ball in play, Beardsley v Everton).

The 2-0 v Roma on Houllier’s return is a (semi) forgotten one as well.

Online pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #257 on: March 9, 2023, 02:56:23 pm »

I remember being at a game around then probably the same one. It was after Clayton Blackmore had the 'incident' in the Caribbean. From memory, he was accused of rape but the victim later said it was all a dream or something, amid rumours of her coming into money. Chants I remember from that game, the Celtic/Rangers chant changed to Flasher/Rapist, There's only one team of perverts and Pervert United.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #258 on: March 9, 2023, 02:59:15 pm »
That Forest 5-0 was my best as a kid I think. Sme season I also went to the 2-0s against Everton and Arsenal, both of which had some pretty famous goals (Aldridge v Arsenal after McMahon had sprinted to keep the ball in play, Beardsley v Everton).

The 2-0 v Roma on Houllier’s return is a (semi) forgotten one as well.

The 5-0 is the best I've ever seen in terms of football quality. The 4-3 against Newcastle, the 3-3 against Man United and the St Etienne game were maybe the best Anfield experiences in terms of raw excitement and atmosphere. I saw them all from the Kop. No coincidence that all three were night matches.

Best league away games for me are Wolves '76, the 0-5 at Goodison, and the Boxing Day thrashing of Man United in '78. Though I have very happy memories of the 1-6 demolition of Coventry when Kenny won his last title. Glorious hot day, John Barnes proving - yet again - that he was the world's greatest footballer. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #259 on: March 9, 2023, 03:00:13 pm »
The Divock Origi Merseyside Derby winner! What a celebration at the end. So much fun, even on the services all the way back home, people were singing haha.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: March 9, 2023, 03:08:21 pm »
I remember being at a game around then probably the same one. It was after Clayton Blackmore had the 'incident' in the Caribbean. From memory, he was accused of rape but the victim later said it was all a dream or something, amid rumours of her coming into money. Chants I remember from that game, the Celtic/Rangers chant changed to Flasher/Rapist, There's only one team of perverts and Pervert United.
Yep, remember all of them :D  Could’ve been that ‘88 3-3.

Fuckin Strachan eh. Spoilt a great day!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=reqenUO2uzs

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #261 on: March 9, 2023, 03:54:57 pm »
My first match set a high bar. 6-0 vs Norwich at Anfield, evening KO, Feb 1979.

Scorers: Dalglish (2), Johnson (2), Kennedy A., Kennedy R. So not *quite* the brace by three different goalscorers a la Sunday. But a brace by three different surnames, so I'm having that.

The magic of walking out onto the main stand and seeing the vibrant green of the floodlit pitch is a memory that has always stayed with me - even more than the goals, which, to be honest, I've forgotten.

40 years later, my first match with my daughter was also an evening KO vs Norwich. We were 4-0 up at half-time. Could it happen again? Er, no - it ended 4-1. But that season didn't go too badly for us, did it?

Other favourites were *that* 3-3 vs Man Utd (the Clough Comeback? the Ruddock Revival?) and the last match I ever saw with my Dad - 5-2 vs Roma in the 2018 CL semi first leg.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #262 on: March 9, 2023, 03:59:24 pm »
Wolves away last game of the 76 season. Epic night. Too much happened to explain to youngsters in a few lines. Would take a few chapters of a book.

I was listening on the radio. It was torture. Then ecstasy.

I recall the commentator saying the LFC fans were keeping the ball (and not returning it) when it went into the crowd. Not to waste time, but as a souvenir. Do you remember that?

Online pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #263 on: March 9, 2023, 05:21:03 pm »
Yep, remember all of them :D  Could’ve been that ‘88 3-3.

Fuckin Strachan eh. Spoilt a great day!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=reqenUO2uzs
Too late for a VAR review, Nicol was miles onside at the end. 35 years ago and the Mancs were still getting all the decisions. Some things never change :-)

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 9, 2023, 06:01:58 pm »
I'm fortunate and blessed to have been to some special nights. Most memorable for me would be:

- Might have been the Kiev season but the I was in Kop end against Roma and Man City for the Champions League. Both were electric atmospheres
- 4-0 vs Barca at Anfield, in the Kop. No words needed.
- Champions League final win in Madrid
- Both Wembley finals last year
- 7-0 vs Utd

There are more but these ones stand out the most to me.

I remember when I first started going, I used to get the student prices as I was under 21 and we were in the Europa League. I'm 29 now and pay a fortune  ;D
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #265 on: March 9, 2023, 08:19:06 pm »
I was listening on the radio. It was torture. Then ecstasy.

I recall the commentator saying the LFC fans were keeping the ball (and not returning it) when it went into the crowd. Not to waste time, but as a souvenir. Do you remember that?

So much happened that night inc the gates getting forced open and literally thousands pouring in. The mass pitch invasion at the end and the five hour traffic jam back to Liverpool. Also our fans taking over the DJ room and making announcements. So quite likely we were keeping the ball as well 😀

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #266 on: March 9, 2023, 08:39:13 pm »
So much happened that night inc the gates getting forced open and literally thousands pouring in. The mass pitch invasion at the end and the five hour traffic jam back to Liverpool. Also our fans taking over the DJ room and making announcements. So quite likely we were keeping the ball as well 😀

I read that and thought the pitch was full of Scousers playing tiki-taka...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline LFC_R_BOSS

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #267 on: March 9, 2023, 08:44:57 pm »
The nineties weren’t great for but I loved it . The United 3-3 the Newcastle games , Fowler etc . Got my ST in the Kop in 95 was 17 .

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #268 on: March 9, 2023, 09:54:55 pm »
I couldn’t get to the 3-3 but had got tickets which I had to pass on.  The 4-3 match was weird though. I don’t think I really realised quite how epic it was until I was on my way home after the match.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: March 9, 2023, 10:05:35 pm »
The 4-3 against Dortmund is one of my absolute favourites of the Klopp era. The bus welcome was unbelievable. Stood right by that scaffolding near the King Harry, the atmosphere and anticipation was crackling in the air. Just enough time after to leg it up to the pub to meet up for a couple of swift ones, then back to the Kop and in, surrounded by flags. A lot of flags that night.

All these memories in this thread of the old standing Kop make you remember one of the best things about it. The fact you could always stand with your mates. And for this one I had full credits and somehow managed to have a good pick of seats instead of the usual scrabbling for what you can get. So knowing exactly the seat numbers of my STH mates, got one in the row directly behind them, halfway up, fairly central. Perfect spec. Felt like being back on that grand old terrace (well, almost).

And then the game. What a comeback. Here’s the thing though, the second Coutinho scored, the Kop believed. No, it was more than belief, the Kop KNEW what was coming. All the momentum shifted and all the memories of the great comebacks that ground has witnessed blew like a breeze through the crowd and people looked at each other and grinned and nodded, and then ramped up the pressure on those great players in yellow.

When the equaliser went in you almost felt sorry for them, and then the winner and the crowd of course exploded in joyous, delirious celebration; but it was less of a surprise than the casual observer might think. It was just Anfield being Anfield, and it was magic. I floated out that night thinking yep that’s yet another set of players and group of away fans who arrived with hope in their hearts and left thinking, ‘what the fuck just happened?’ :lmao

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #270 on: March 9, 2023, 10:09:18 pm »
The 5-0 is the best I've ever seen in terms of football quality.

Tom Finney agreed .

' Its one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #271 on: March 9, 2023, 10:15:46 pm »

And one of our finest songs was a result of them 25 to 35  ;)

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: March 9, 2023, 10:55:10 pm »
Tom Finney agreed .

' Its one of the finest exhibitions of football I’ve ever seen in my life… I’ve seen Brazilians play but I’ve never seen the game played at that pace or executed like that.’

The great Tom Finney. Shanks's favourite player.

I can't remember whether I travelled back to London that night or stayed over with friends. But I do remember when I did get back my mates telling me that the BBC had changed its schedules in order to show highlights of the match - such was its unusual quality I think that's where Finney raved about what he'd just seen. It was a blessing he was at Anfield that night.

I've talked about this game on RAWK before. The atmosphere was good but it wasn't amazing. The Kop almost became a theatre audience, just oozing appreciation and admiring the artwork that was being created in front of it. I think the score was only 2-0 at half time, but everyone on the terrace already knew that they were witnessing a masterpiece. Also, the cameras never picked up the brilliant piece of skill from Barnes that preceded one of the second half goals. He was too fucking quick for them. (A bit like Clay's 'mystery' punch against Sonny Liston). I saw it though. I can't quite remember the details but I know that when I eventually saw the highlights I realised that the incredible moment had been lost.

Football has reached a lot of peaks since that match, especially Liverpool football, but in my opinion no team has ever climbed higher.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #273 on: March 9, 2023, 11:29:52 pm »
Did Barnes nutmeg his full back (Steve Chettle?) down in the corner of the Kop and Kemlyn before one of the goals? Think that might be what you mean Yorky but it’s a bit hazy for me too!

Through my dad’s tickets we got to go in the old trophy room afterwards for a classic buffet as well. The breaded chicken drumsticks were a touch of class. :D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 10, 2023, 07:31:30 am »
The breaded chicken drumsticks were a touch of class. :D
;D nice.

If it was ‘Famous Liverpool seasons - I was there’ then this was one of mine, home and away, and there were some absolute crackers. We seemed to score 4 goals as standard! But I missed the Forest game for some reason. Always been gutted about that (and to rub salt into the wound now I find out there were breaded chicken drumsticks). I remember watching on tv in amazement thinking I’ve missed an all time classic here but loving it all the same. Could easily have been 10-0.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2023, 07:55:07 am »
The great Tom Finney. Shanks's favourite player.

I can't remember whether I travelled back to London that night or stayed over with friends. But I do remember when I did get back my mates telling me that the BBC had changed its schedules in order to show highlights of the match - such was its unusual quality I think that's where Finney raved about what he'd just seen. It was a blessing he was at Anfield that night.

I've talked about this game on RAWK before. The atmosphere was good but it wasn't amazing. The Kop almost became a theatre audience, just oozing appreciation and admiring the artwork that was being created in front of it. I think the score was only 2-0 at half time, but everyone on the terrace already knew that they were witnessing a masterpiece. Also, the cameras never picked up the brilliant piece of skill from Barnes that preceded one of the second half goals. He was too fucking quick for them. (A bit like Clay's 'mystery' punch against Sonny Liston). I saw it though. I can't quite remember the details but I know that when I eventually saw the highlights I realised that the incredible moment had been lost.

Football has reached a lot of peaks since that match, especially Liverpool football, but in my opinion no team has ever climbed higher.

The Forest 5-0 is one of the best performances I've ever seen at Anfield. Think it was a midweek game night time game and the league was already well wrapped up. That's why I'd agree the atmosphere wasn't raucous. More party like or appreciative like you said.

It's worth considering, for those a bit younger, that Forest were a good side back then. The 1987-88 season they came third that season, getting 73 points and only conceding 39 goals in 40 games. They also made the the FA Cup semi final. It wasn't;t a 1 season thing either. Came 3rd the next season, won 2 cups and were runner up twice in domestic cups over the next 4 seasons. Normalising for each period league wise they were probably the equivalent of current day Manchester United.

It's hard to compare performances but the 5-0 Forest felt like a more complete performance than the 7-0 United. It was more a 90 minute performance and Forest didn't throw in the towel. Forest had to try really hard to keep the score down to 5-0. They walked off the pitch throughly beaten but not ashamed about the effort they put in. United couldn't say the same thing on Sunday.

The most comparable recent performance I can think of is the 5-1 v Arsenal a few years back over the Xmas period where Firmino bagged a hat-trick.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread but one of the best atmospheres I've ever witnessed at Anfield was the 2-0 v United in 1992. We'd had a miserable league season but beat United in one of the last few games the season to hand Leeds the title. Ian Rush finally broke his goal drought versus United in that game. Atmosphere was unreal and it felt so good to stop United breaking their 25 year title drought.

I think 2 other amazing atmospheres that I've witnessed at Anfield are the Barcelona UEFA Cup semi final and PSG Cup Winners Cup semi final. The Barcelona 1-0 is a bit lost in great Liverpool nights but that win felt huge at the time. The PSG game was our 1st European semi final since 1985. Probably our biggest European game since returning from the ban. Got battered 3-0 in the 1st leg and we are an absolute shambles. At home we played well but only won 2-0. However, the atmosphere that night was electric. Not a famous night but after going the game regularly for about 10 years it was really the 1st big European game I'd been to where the atmosphere, under the lights, seemed a notch or 2 higher than anything I'd experienced before. Only comparable atmosphere I could compare it to previously was the League Cup win versus United when Molby scored 2 including his infamous solo goal. What a game and volatile atmosphere that was!
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2023, 09:35:07 am »
Did Barnes nutmeg his full back (Steve Chettle?) down in the corner of the Kop and Kemlyn before one of the goals? Think that might be what you mean Yorky but it’s a bit hazy for me too!

Through my dad’s tickets we got to go in the old trophy room afterwards for a classic buffet as well. The breaded chicken drumsticks were a touch of class. :D

I think that was caught by the cameras. It was either something just before that or it was connected with another goal completely.

Offline seenitall

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC has the most knowledgeable supporters
« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2023, 10:04:49 am »
I’ve been watching the Reds since 1954 and as my name suggests, I have seen all Liverpool’s great home games and most of their away successes in the last 69 years. In European Competition, Inter Milan, St Etienne, Olympiakos, Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund, Roma, Barcelona Man City and United all swept away under a tidal wave of football brilliance, passion and emotion. And at home Notts Forest, Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Crystal Palace and so many more put to the sword.
But, for me, at the age of 14, the 2-0 game against Southampton to clinch promotion to the old First Division in 1962 is one which I will always cherish. It meant Liverpool were joining the big boys and with Shanks laid the foundation for the Reds to go on and become the greatest club in world football.
I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been to follow this great club.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:23:32 am by seenitall »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2023, 11:00:38 am »
I think that was caught by the cameras. It was either something just before that or it was connected with another goal completely.

That was a long the bye-line. Have a feeling he back heeled one through his legs right / Cruyff turned him by the corner flag as well.

Forest were the only other team to beat us that season after that defeat to Everton. We lost their on East Saturday. Must have been a week before or after the FA Cup semi final and then the 5-0 came soon after as well (am sure it was during the Easter holidays!).

They were still a good team then and their keeper, Steve Sutton made a load of good saves.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2023, 12:37:12 pm »
I’ve been watching the Reds since 1954 and as my name suggests, I have seen all Liverpool’s great home games and most of their away successes in the last 69 years. In European Competition, Inter Milan, St Etienne, Olympiakos, Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund, Roma, Barcelona Man City and United all swept away under a tidal wave of football brilliance, passion and emotion. And at home Notts Forest, Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Crystal Palace and so many more put to the sword.
But, for me, at the age of 14, the 2-0 game against Southampton to clinch promotion to the old First Division in 1962 is one which I will always cherish. It meant Liverpool were joining the big boys and with Shanks laid the foundation for the Reds to go on and become the greatest club in world football.
I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been to follow this great club.

Great post. One of my earliest memories was seeing “Watford 1 Liverpool 0” appear on the teleprinter in February 1970. It’s just occurred to me that only 8 years earlier we had been in the second division!