Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1411748 times)

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #9840 on: September 17, 2022, 03:44:38 am »
It’s remarkable that with all the contributions I make on this forum

Pray tell, I’m actually really curious.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9841 on: September 17, 2022, 06:49:07 am »
Pray tell, I’m actually really curious.

Lol. Touché. Posts. I post. I’m not sure whether I contribute much!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9842 on: September 26, 2022, 12:19:21 pm »
The levels of criticism regarding his defending is so ridiculous to the point its going the other way now and his defensive abilities are being under rated.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9843 on: September 26, 2022, 12:29:33 pm »
The levels of criticism regarding his defending is so ridiculous to the point its going the other way now and his defensive abilities are being under rated.

The trouble is when he does make errors (which is natural for any young defender), his performance is put under a microscope. The likes of James and Trippier have it far easier as their mistakes are not highlighted time after time. Trent is a victim of his own success. Even some of our fans are buying into it now sadly.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9844 on: September 26, 2022, 12:36:20 pm »
The trouble is when he does make errors (which is natural for any young defender), his performance is put under a microscope. The likes of James and Trippier have it far easier as their mistakes are not highlighted time after time. Trent is a victim of his own success. Even some of our fans are buying into it now sadly.

James played in a far more defensively minded/structured team under Tuchel.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9845 on: September 26, 2022, 12:40:18 pm »
James played in a far more defensively minded/structured team under Tuchel.

He still makes errors though and there is never any fuss when he does, or people claiming he is an average defender.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9846 on: September 26, 2022, 12:52:23 pm »
The stuff with Trent is an agenda rooted in social media, same as the shit Darwin is getting.

Which is why people who say ‘just ignore it’ when it comes to Twitter (especially) miss the point hugely - it is such a powerful medium, once something catches there, then it grows and spreads through other media to the point where it’s to late to control it.  And it’s playing it’s part in the ruination of this sport at this level.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #9847 on: September 26, 2022, 01:02:27 pm »
Best thing he can do in my opinion is take the decision out of Southgate's hands and say that he won't make himself available for selection while he's the manager, or to formally retire from international duty. I'd much rather he has the mid-season break than waste 4 weeks being trained by England, risking injury, and all for absolutely fuck all minutes on the pitch. Takes all the pressure off him and places it all firmly on Southgate when it goes to shit in Qatar and the press are asking why he didn't take Trent to the world cup, because if there was any doubt before this that he was gonna miss out, it's absolutely guaranteed now that he won't make the squad.

And yes, I know that there's the school of thought that it's the pinnacle of a career to play for your country, so I can imagine it's not exactly a simple decision for Trent. But owning it rather than having to react to it will make it a much easier thing to move on from. Got to feel sorry for the lad though, especially when the comically awful slab head somehow manages to make it in to the squad.

And while I'm here, bollocks to Ingerlund.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9848 on: September 26, 2022, 01:14:16 pm »
Best thing he can do in my opinion is take the decision out of Southgate's hands and say that he won't make himself available for selection while he's the manager, or to formally retire from international duty. I'd much rather he has the mid-season break than waste 4 weeks being trained by England, risking injury, and all for absolutely fuck all minutes on the pitch. Takes all the pressure off him and places it all firmly on Southgate when it goes to shit in Qatar and the press are asking why he didn't take Trent to the world cup, because if there was any doubt before this that he was gonna miss out, it's absolutely guaranteed now that he won't make the squad.

And yes, I know that there's the school of thought that it's the pinnacle of a career to play for your country, so I can imagine it's not exactly a simple decision for Trent. But owning it rather than having to react to it will make it a much easier thing to move on from. Got to feel sorry for the lad though, especially when the comically awful slab head somehow manages to make it in to the squad.

And while I'm here, bollocks to Ingerlund.

Would be great but it's just not going to happen. Even if Trent wanted to do that his life would be made utterly unbearable by the media and every other set of fans in the country.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9849 on: September 26, 2022, 01:16:11 pm »
He still makes errors though and there is never any fuss when he does, or people claiming he is an average defender.

Sure but it's a massive ask to play Trent's role in our system. Particularly when the midfield isn't right. He can't be Maldini and De Bruyne at the same time either.

It's like when people said Alves can't defend at Barca. He was playing as a winger but was the last line of defence for a team that defended on the halfway line.  Of course he'll be caught out but Barca's dominance with the ball was a lot higher than ours. We have a lot more turnovers.

I can understand Walker playing because of his recovery pace but England are so defensively minded anyway. Trent could adapt to a different gameplan but it's pointless playing him with a straitjacket

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9850 on: September 26, 2022, 01:18:59 pm »
Would be great but it's just not going to happen. Even if Trent wanted to do that his life would be made utterly unbearable by the media and every other set of fans in the country.

you mean like making up shit about him not being able to defend and then repeating it as nauseum

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #9851 on: September 26, 2022, 01:20:59 pm »
Perhaps this may focus him as I feel that he's had one eye (understandably) on the World cup.

Also, given what's going on with the shitshow that is the FA and national team, it's in his best interest to not be caught up in it all as it's an utter disaster.

However, he's a young lad and playing for England must still be a huge ambition for him, no matter what we think of the national team, so on that hand I feel for him, but he deserves better than what he's getting from them.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9852 on: September 26, 2022, 01:23:19 pm »
Trent is better off being away from these dickheads.

Turns up to EVERY squad to be treated like this.

He will be fine he is managed by the best manager out there and that should be good enough.

Agree with Fromola about James its easy to look better when you pay for a rich mans Stoke.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9853 on: September 26, 2022, 01:25:55 pm »
Great news for us.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9854 on: September 26, 2022, 01:33:56 pm »
Sure but it's a massive ask to play Trent's role in our system. Particularly when the midfield isn't right. He can't be Maldini and De Bruyne at the same time either.

It's like when people said Alves can't defend at Barca. He was playing as a winger but was the last line of defence for a team that defended on the halfway line.  Of course he'll be caught out but Barca's dominance with the ball was a lot higher than ours. We have a lot more turnovers.

I can understand Walker playing because of his recovery pace but England are so defensively minded anyway. Trent could adapt to a different gameplan but it's pointless playing him with a straitjacket

I am not talking about our system I am talking about the England situation and the fact that he gets treated far more harshly than other players. James had one of his worst nights the other night in an England shirt, where is all the comments from various pundits?

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9855 on: September 26, 2022, 01:41:36 pm »
Why is everyone unhappy about trent getting dropped? It is great news that he will get a long break during the WC.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #9856 on: September 26, 2022, 01:42:11 pm »
I am not talking about our system I am talking about the England situation and the fact that he gets treated far more harshly than other players. James had one of his worst nights the other night in an England shirt, where is all the comments from various pundits?
Playing for Chelsea helps! I remember Trent starting a game in June, coming off at 0-0 and his replacement clumsily conceding a pen that lost the game! That's also been forgotten as James is a 'better' defender than Trent.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9857 on: September 26, 2022, 01:45:13 pm »

But the narrative starts when he's left exposed at Liverpool and gets targeted down that side, whereas Chelsea were a defensive team.

Trent is also Scouse, plays for Liverpool and doesn't sing the national anthem. Full house.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9858 on: September 26, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
Let's be honest, based on his current form he does not deserve to be starting for England. Reece James is in better form at the moment. Trent hasn't looked right this last couple of months and the effort hasn't been there. If Southgate really was a manager who picked based on form, this would be a sensible decision. The thing about Southgate is that he isn't, and Trent will not be a starter for England until the England manager changes.

Having said that, over the last 4 years he's been the best full-back in Europe, and no England full-back has come close to what he's done. His attacking output speaks for itself and he's one of the most creative players England have at their disposal, but let's not forget that despite being 'terrible' at defending he's been a mainstay of a defence that has conceded the fewest goals in 3 out of the 4 previous league seasons. He's not got the credit he deserves from what he's done in this time.

The fact that he's never been fancied by Southgate has been a constant stick used to beat him, and I'm sure that there wouldn't be so much talk of his defensive flaws if this wasn't the case. Actually, I don't remember much criticism about his defending until just after the World Cup in Russia where it became clear Southgate preferred Tripper/Walker over him.

For now England have a manager who is taking a bunch of decent players from high-energy, pressing, attacking teams (City, Arsenal, Liverpool, now United) and has set them up in a rigid defensive table-football system. The situation with Trent highlights his limitations as a manager, rather than Trent's as a player. I'm sure the next manager (who sees the potential this England team has in an attacking system) will find a way to fit one of their most talented players into the side.

On a side note, I saw a picture of him in England training next to Henderson and I didn't realise how much bulk he's gained this summer. It doesn't seem necessary.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9859 on: September 26, 2022, 02:51:12 pm »
What I find mad is that the Germany game is a dead-rubber. Why not play Trent, even if it's to prove himself right?

There's nothing on this game - give him a chance.

I'd rather Trent was rested, but it's got to affect his morale.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9860 on: September 26, 2022, 02:58:40 pm »
Interestingly, England actually defend well with him in the side. Was just looking at the games he's started in...

Games: 14
Goals conceded: 6
Clean sheets: 10
Goals: 1
Assists 4

Not bad.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9861 on: September 26, 2022, 03:00:53 pm »
What I find mad is that the Germany game is a dead-rubber. Why not play Trent, even if it's to prove himself right?

There's nothing on this game - give him a chance.

I'd rather Trent was rested, but it's got to affect his morale.
I'm guessing as it's the last games before the squad is announced he wants to try those who are more likely to go. Trent's been around for years now if he was going to go it wouldn't hinge on one game

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9862 on: September 26, 2022, 03:01:27 pm »
It's good for us at least.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9863 on: September 26, 2022, 03:07:29 pm »
BBC of course making a big song and dance about it. I believe, based on current form, ingerland are gonna embarrass themselves in Qatar anyways. Best not be a part of that, though he won’t be thinking that himself am sure.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #9864 on: September 26, 2022, 03:07:55 pm »
A few Journos rightfully calling Southgate out over this.

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9865 on: September 26, 2022, 03:12:27 pm »
Great news for us.
Is it really though?  Trent obviously wants to go to the WC and this nonsense could undermine his confidence and influence his mental state.  He's playing under the best manager to work this through and I'd back him to come through a better and stronger player.  But who knows - we all have egos and most players are desperate to represent their country regardless of what we think as club fans.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9866 on: September 26, 2022, 03:13:56 pm »
BBC of course making a big song and dance about it. I believe, based on current form, ingerland are gonna embarrass themselves in Qatar anyways. Best not be a part of that, though he won’t be thinking that himself am sure.
So much fuss for a team that has won nothing in almost 60 years. Yawn!

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #9867 on: September 26, 2022, 03:20:46 pm »
Southgate is yet another average England manager that does not get the best out of talented players and also sidelines them. Trent would probably start for Brazil, Holland, Belgium, Argentina and many more countries. You can go back to Stan bowels, Glenn hoddle, Chris Waddle, Matthew Le tissier, John Barnes, and many more that were not given enough time by England. I am English but I have no faith in Southgate at all. Totally inept and his in game management is terrible. Bottled a world cup semi final against Croatia, and bottled a euros final at Wembley against Italy. It looks like Trent won't be going to the world cup sadly, for him and the country. But at least he gets a well earned rest. I have always been club over country, and when England get knocked out of the world cup in Qatar, at least Trent won't be associated with the shit show that will follow. England have alot of good attacking talent being wasted again by a manager that got Middlesbrough relegated and also managed to get England relegated in the uefa nations league and England are only the 2nd team not to score from open play in that Mickley mouse tournament, the other country is San Marino, what a joke.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9868 on: September 26, 2022, 03:22:35 pm »
Is it really though?  Trent obviously wants to go to the WC and this nonsense could undermine his confidence and influence his mental state.  He's playing under the best manager to work this through and I'd back him to come through a better and stronger player.  But who knows - we all have egos and most players are desperate to represent their country regardless of what we think as club fans.

Thing is goofy doesnt rate him and he will know that.

He will want to go to the WC for sure but when it crashes if he isnt part of it he will be in under a new coach is my opinion.

All Trent needs to be worried about is Klopp and us fans both are behind him where as the Ingerland fans / manager arent.

No point going to Qatar to sit about when he could be here with the big man Jurgen

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #9869 on: September 26, 2022, 03:24:25 pm »
So, did Trent come back to Liverpool early then?

If so, Ta Gareth.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9870 on: September 26, 2022, 03:29:49 pm »

Well tough, he will just have to perform for the team he is paid to perform for. Sorry but I am a Liverpool fan first and the more rest a player has the better.

On one hand everyone is moaning about the amount of football our players are having to play and how its affecting form, but then if they don't play every game then their form will also be affected.

Online wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9871 on: September 26, 2022, 03:42:02 pm »
Well tough, he will just have to perform for the team he is paid to perform for. Sorry but I am a Liverpool fan first and the more rest a player has the better.

On one hand everyone is moaning about the amount of football our players are having to play and how its affecting form, but then if they don't play every game then their form will also be affected.
I get that you're a Liverpool fan and are happy for him to get a rest.  And I agree with you.  But this isn't about what you and I want is it?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9872 on: September 26, 2022, 03:57:30 pm »

Considering he was fucked over last summer for the Euros, he came back and had a half decent season so I can't imagine its going to cripple his confidence.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #9873 on: September 26, 2022, 04:06:39 pm »
Considering he was fucked over last summer for the Euros, he came back and had a half decent season so I can't imagine its going to cripple his confidence.
Key difference that he had the summer to get over the misfortune of it. He'll be under the microscope even more for the next 6 weeks and will eat at him while he is in limbo. In fact I'd rather Southgate just be honest and tell him from now so Trent knows where he stands can deal with and go back to being the scouser in our team.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9874 on: September 26, 2022, 04:13:17 pm »
Key difference that he had the summer to get over the misfortune of it. He'll be under the microscope even more for the next 6 weeks and will eat at him while he is in limbo. In fact I'd rather Southgate just be honest and tell him from now so Trent knows where he stands can deal with and go back to being the scouser in our team.
I don't think it's really possible to be under more scrutiny then he already is. He plays for a side that drives clicks and content and already has agenda set against him. Every mistake or goal we concede is highlighted and talked about. He's already had to deal with that for 4+ years now. The lack of games over the winter will be better for us/him

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9875 on: September 26, 2022, 04:14:13 pm »

I fear you're giving the international team and Gareth Southgate a far bigger spot in Trents mind than they actually occupy. He's had four years of being told he can't defend, whilst winning every possibly trophy he could have won. He's lost CL Finals, he's lost league titles on the last day of the season. I'm pretty confident not getting picked by a dinosaur and staying home with the likes of Robbo, Mo and Luis isn't going to cripple him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9876 on: September 26, 2022, 04:16:35 pm »
Henry Winter calling out the waistcoat fucker over Trent's treatment too.  When the Chief Football writer of The Times is doing that you know other journos will follow as well.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #9877 on: September 26, 2022, 04:35:35 pm »
Southgate has chosen bricklayers over a sculptor.....fine ,  brick layers are needed, just depends what you want to create.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9878 on: September 26, 2022, 04:43:44 pm »
Southgate is yet another average England manager that does not get the best out of talented players and also sidelines them. Trent would probably start for Brazil, Holland, Belgium, Argentina and many more countries. You can go back to Stan bowels, Glenn hoddle, Chris Waddle, Matthew Le tissier, John Barnes, and many more that were not given enough time by England. I am English but I have no faith in Southgate at all. Totally inept and his in game management is terrible. Bottled a world cup semi final against Croatia, and bottled a euros final at Wembley against Italy. It looks like Trent won't be going to the world cup sadly, for him and the country. But at least he gets a well earned rest. I have always been club over country, and when England get knocked out of the world cup in Qatar, at least Trent won't be associated with the shit show that will follow. England have alot of good attacking talent being wasted again by a manager that got Middlesbrough relegated and also managed to get England relegated in the uefa nations league and England are only the 2nd team not to score from open play in that Mickley mouse tournament, the other country is San Marino, what a joke.

Yeah i've often thought that. The England national team has an unrivalled ability to stifle creativity or flair for a nation that produces a fair bit of it. Paul Scholes and Steven Gerrard as well, Owen Hargreaves ended up the best performing midfielder in the Sven team with those two and Beckham and Lampard in the squad as well.

Rooney had a great Euro 2004 as a kid and was shit on a stick in every tournament since right up to Euro 2016.

How can you get nothing creatively out of a squad with options like Trent, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham and Mount?  It always comes back to men behind the ball and play for set pieces. Moyes's Everton but also with the talent to give the rest a game.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9879 on: September 26, 2022, 04:52:18 pm »
Is it really bottling when the other team is a lot better?