Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1425277 times)

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #9680 on: September 8, 2022, 11:18:44 am »
If someone could coach him to stand on his side whilst on his toes when defending, he'd be the best player on the planet.
Ye wha la.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9681 on: September 8, 2022, 11:35:38 am »
Iv'e look at this clip a few times now and this has to more than just bad defending. Is he carrying an injury maybe? Like he just couldn't be arsed it's utterly bizarre.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1567684228279857152
« Last Edit: September 8, 2022, 11:38:36 am by Mister Flip Flop »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9682 on: September 8, 2022, 11:41:01 am »
Iv'e look at this clip a few times now and this has to more than just bad defending. Is he carrying an injury maybe? Like he just couldn't be arsed it's utterly bizarre.

There is no issue though. We don't need a backup according to some on here.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9683 on: September 8, 2022, 11:41:36 am »
We signed one in the summer :duh :duh :duh
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9684 on: September 8, 2022, 11:46:46 am »
"So we dont 'need' another top quality back-up right back because they'd play so rarely."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #9685 on: September 8, 2022, 11:50:53 am »

He can't be arsed, he's been throwing a strop for the last couple of weeks and it's time he gets benched till he understands what his role in the team requires.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9686 on: September 8, 2022, 11:51:01 am »
He’s one of my favourite players ever and over the years he’s been unfairly criticised for his defending considering the ask placed on him by our system, but unfortunately this season he’s turning into the player all the tits said he was all along. It’s just very lazy defending all around and the lack of effort is there for everyone to see.

I’m not sure if he’s carrying a knock or something but he looks completely shot/unarsed. He’ll turn it around I don’t have any doubts about that though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9687 on: September 8, 2022, 11:57:29 am »
"So we dont 'need' another top quality back-up right back because they'd play so rarely."

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

:D

Is there a different point you think you're making here MonsLibpool? Because the post you were so clearly still upset over from last October still stands, and still makes you look a bit of a numpty for saying that 'Joe Gomez can't cover RB if he's covering CB'. Its not one I'd have dragged up myself being completely honest, but kudos for having thick skin.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9688 on: September 8, 2022, 11:59:32 am »
:D

Is there a different point you think you're making here MonsLibpool? Because the post you were so clearly still upset over from last October still stands, and still makes you look a bit of a numpty for saying that 'Joe Gomez can't cover RB if he's covering CB'. Its not one I'd have dragged up myself being completely honest, but kudos for having thick skin.
You write loads of paragraghs talking absolute bollocks. This is just an example and you tend to come across as condescending.

Offline lollysportswasher

• Wants us to accept the reality that Liverpool will never sign another player.
  • Kopite
« Reply #9689 on: September 8, 2022, 12:00:14 pm »
As I said before just play him as RM until he gains his confidence back. its the most natural position for fullbacks.

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9690 on: September 8, 2022, 12:01:05 pm »
The stats back up that his passing, early in games (and Trent is not the only culprit) has been shocking. Seems we literally give advantage to our opponent in almost every game.

I think with a better midfield, playing as we normally do, everyone will start firing again.

It is nice, in a way, that both VVD and Robbo last night were very keen not to point fingers at anyone.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9691 on: September 8, 2022, 12:03:14 pm »
You write loads of paragraghs talking absolute bollocks. This is just an example and you tend to come across as condescending.

Thats an example of writing loads of paragraghs? :D I certainly hope not.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9692 on: September 8, 2022, 12:19:59 pm »
Thats an example of writing loads of paragraghs? :D I certainly hope not.
All you have to do is to go through your own post history :D.

Supporters raise valid concerns and you like shutting them down arrogantly like a know-it-all. Nobody is against debate but you are arrogant.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #9693 on: September 8, 2022, 12:25:38 pm »
We patently need RB cover. Joe Gomez can’t cover RB if he’s covering CB.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9694 on: September 8, 2022, 12:35:27 pm »
He’s one of my favourite players ever and over the years he’s been unfairly criticised for his defending considering the ask placed on him by our system, but unfortunately this season he’s turning into the player all the tits said he was all along. It’s just very lazy defending all around and the lack of effort is there for everyone to see.

I’m not sure if he’s carrying a knock or something but he looks completely shot/unarsed. He’ll turn it around I don’t have any doubts about that though.
Or a few kilos of excess muscle.  I'm well out of my depth when it comes to Sports Science but extra upper body muscle doesn't seem very beneficial to the role or how Trent plays.  Presumably that extra bulk has some downsides.

Disclaimer: I don't think Trent hitting the gym is the root of all our problems!  It's just an observation  ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9695 on: September 8, 2022, 12:42:33 pm »
We patently need RB cover. Joe Gomez can’t cover RB if he’s covering CB.
He's not covering himself in glory at the moment.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9696 on: September 8, 2022, 12:45:44 pm »
We signed one in the summer :duh :duh :duh

Well that’s turned out to be a great move so far hasn’t it?  Played 33 games for Aberdeen last season, he comes to us, we find an “injury” that according to the club “could” lead to issues down the line so operated on him.  An injury that no one knew about, which in turn means he’s out for months at a time with Trent’s form he had a cracking chance of getting a game!!!!!

“Unfortunately, Calvin is now not training with us in the moment, he has a little injury," Klopp explained. “Nobody knew, we found it when he did his medical check. Until today he has no problems.“

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9697 on: September 8, 2022, 12:46:42 pm »

I’ve watched this a few times, and whilst I’m not defending his whole 90mins, I can’t really work out what else he’s meant to be doing after finding himself in this position. It might have been before the clip and why he finds himself in that position that’s the issue, and if so then fair enough, but once he’s there then Gomez is out at right back and fab and milner have dropped into defence, so Trent’s taking up a position just in front in midfield, which is what I’d want him, and them all, to be doing. Ball gets played back so defence step up, fine, but if I was pointing fingers it would then be between fab and Gomez as neither go with the runner. Am I missing something here?

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #9698 on: September 8, 2022, 12:50:46 pm »
I’ve watched this a few times, and whilst I’m not defending his whole 90mins, I can’t really work out what else he’s meant to be doing after finding himself in this position. It might have been before the clip and why he finds himself in that position that’s the issue, and if so then fair enough, but once he’s there then Gomez is out at right back and fab and milner have dropped into defence, so Trent’s taking up a position just in front in midfield, which is what I’d want him, and them all, to be doing. Ball gets played back so defence step up, fine, but if I was pointing fingers it would then be between fab and Gomez as neither go with the runner. Am I missing something here?

What’s he even doing there in that position, seems to just wonder off where ever he wants!

Offline oldman

• Kopite
« Reply #9699 on: September 8, 2022, 12:55:12 pm »

actually El Lobo is one person  whose comments on here I enjoy reading because his points are normally spot on - yours and one or two others not so much

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9700 on: September 8, 2022, 12:57:19 pm »
What’s he even doing there in that position, seems to just wonder off where ever he wants!
Well without seeing what actually happens before, he’s meant to be one of our main attacking outlets who’s clearly been told to come inside into central midfield more than he used to, which is the reason we have fab who drops in to cover, and has been what we’ve done for years

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9701 on: September 8, 2022, 12:57:58 pm »
actually El Lobo is one person  whose comments on here I enjoy reading because his points are normally spot on - yours and one or two others not so much
I respect your opinion and I won't be condescending.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #9702 on: September 8, 2022, 01:04:08 pm »

I think the only thing he can do here is act like a midfielder, look at their #20 outside the box and cover him or his passing lanes. Even saying that, once he's in that position, everyone is static, not just him.

He shouldn't be there in the first place and being there, he should be moving away from goal. Maybe?

The only worrying thing here for me is that he never once looks around. Same Vs Fulham, you could say same Vs Madrid. Does he know players are behind him and think he has it covered which is good confidence but maybe overestimating his ability? Or does he just never look around?
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9703 on: September 8, 2022, 01:19:15 pm »
I think the only thing he can do here is act like a midfielder, look at their #20 outside the box and cover him or his passing lanes. Even saying that, once he's in that position, everyone is static, not just him.

He shouldn't be there in the first place and being there, he should be moving away from goal. Maybe?

The only worrying thing here for me is that he never once looks around. Same Vs Fulham, you could say same Vs Madrid. Does he know players are behind him and think he has it covered which is good confidence but maybe overestimating his ability? Or does he just never look around?

I’ve a shit memory (especially for goals against us!) so can’t comment on Fulham or Madrid, but fair enough in looking round as he doesn’t there, but when he takes up the position there’s no one behind him anywhere close.

I was wondering what he should have done there with the number 20 too. Not to say he defo shouldn’t have gone over to him, as in hindsight he definitely should, but with both fab and milner dropping into defence for some reason, and Elliot already over on the right, if he leaves cm then there’s a huge hole there.

Argh I dunno, just don’t think this clip that’s being shared around is anywhere near as bad as is being made out if people really think about it. Unless the reason he ends up in cm is that he walks back, then Gomez, fab and milner are at least as much to blame for me, just doesn’t look as bad on the clip.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #9704 on: September 8, 2022, 01:47:43 pm »
He's been pretty poor. He is still creating a decent bit, but similar to Milner, he just seems to roaming around the pitch. Our right side is so exposed, and even when he gets back, he doesn't look interested in defending.

I have always found this trope that he can't defend a little ridiculous. He's never been the best defender, although he's decent enough. This season not so much.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #9705 on: September 8, 2022, 01:48:31 pm »
I can see TAA developing into an Alaba type player who is more than competent in several positions across the pitch, including midfield.

TAA has all the raw skills and is quicker than Alaba too. His passing range is more akin to a CM than a fullback and he has the technical ability to make it work all over the pitch.

His tactical awareness - especially in terms of defence - is a weak point but that is understandable as it comes with experience and games.
Phuk yoo

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #9706 on: September 8, 2022, 01:51:44 pm »
I can see TAA developing into an Alaba type player who is more than competent in several positions across the pitch, including midfield.

TAA has all the raw skills and is quicker than Alaba too. His passing range is more akin to a CM than a fullback and he has the technical ability to make it work all over the pitch.

His tactical awareness - especially in terms of defence - is a weak point but that is understandable as it comes with experience and games.
He's been in the team since 2017 and proven he can defend better than he is. Experience and games isn't the issue.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9707 on: September 8, 2022, 02:00:52 pm »
Robbo mentioned in his post match interview that they weren't dropping in to cover each other last night. It was obvious that there were gaps all over the place last night that you wouldn't normally expect to see.
And it's not just Trent being exposed and looking off it, you can say the same for most of them. And these are first team players who we normally depend on. The intensity just isn't there. The counter press and filling in was non-existent.
That's why I find it hard to single people out because it looks like a squad issue. Too many first team regulars are too far off it at the same time for it to be coincidental.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9708 on: September 8, 2022, 02:31:30 pm »
Robbo mentioned in his post match interview that they weren't dropping in to cover each other last night. It was obvious that there were gaps all over the place last night that you wouldn't normally expect to see.
And it's not just Trent being exposed and looking off it, you can say the same for most of them. And these are first team players who we normally depend on. The intensity just isn't there. The counter press and filling in was non-existent.
That's why I find it hard to single people out because it looks like a squad issue. Too many first team regulars are too far off it at the same time for it to be coincidental.
yep, problems compounding problems all over the pitch. back line, midfield and attack all misfiring / lacking coordination at the same time.  the few consistently good individual performances are sticking out like (not) sore thumbs.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9709 on: September 8, 2022, 02:31:57 pm »
He is having a shitshow of a season. Looks like the kid who hates football and is chosen as the last player in a school PE game. Needs to have a word with himself.

Offline Kundale

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9710 on: September 8, 2022, 02:32:23 pm »
For me, he had his best games when he overlapped with Salah and Hendo covered him at the back. Brought the best out of both him and Salah.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #9711 on: September 8, 2022, 02:55:41 pm »
Just hoping it’s not a Delle Alli type thing. Fingers crossed he’ll find his best form soon, maybe he just needs a mental and physical break.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #9712 on: September 8, 2022, 03:00:44 pm »
I’d like to see a change of formation that has him play as a wingback or RM with 3 CBs. I’ve been banging on this drum all season. If we don’t have midfielders who can cover the defensive gaps he creates when playmaking further toward, then let a right-sided CB do that job. Normally, Fabinho would drop into the sweeper role and a CB would help a midfielder cover for Trent, but Fabinho is running all over the shop covering the whole midfield. Klopp has created a unique role for TAA, but it feels like overthinking at this point. It has morphed from a very attacking fullback with incredible passing/crossing range into a RB/attacking midfield hybrid role with no clear function.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9713 on: September 8, 2022, 03:01:30 pm »
For me, he had his best games when he overlapped with Salah and Hendo covered him at the back. Brought the best out of both him and Salah.
I agree.  I think our team and particularly our midfield needs a healthy share of "water carriers" or, more accurately, players that sacrifice their own performance for the good of the team.  Gini was probably the ultimate example but Hendo also did it well to the benefit of Trent and Mo.

Now that we're getting a few more players back it will be interesting to see if Harvey stays in that position.  He's certainly not the problem and his individual performances have been good but we're not really getting much from that right side either offensively or defensively.

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #9714 on: September 8, 2022, 03:08:32 pm »
I agree.  I think our team and particularly our midfield needs a healthy share of "water carriers" or, more accurately, players that sacrifice their own performance for the good of the team.  Gini was probably the ultimate example but Hendo also did it well to the benefit of Trent and Mo.

Now that we're getting a few more players back it will be interesting to see if Harvey stays in that position.  He's certainly not the problem and his individual performances have been good but we're not really getting much from that right side either offensively or defensively.

I think almost all the goals against Bournemouth came down that right side. Then again, it was Bournemouth.
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #9715 on: September 8, 2022, 03:10:58 pm »
https://twitter.com/0161Darren/status/1567600049378545667?s=20&t=JDqiB2snL6Az3EwtyE6TnQ

https://twitter.com/YT_Evasive/status/1567600318556389376

This was just bizarre.  When I saw it in real time, I did think to myself "I've never seen anything like that before in a top flight match."  When I coached 4th graders I would see that thing a lot...

I seriously thought that there was an invader on the pitch or a bomb had gone off or something that had caused our players to just freeze in place. 

It was the strangest moment in a match full of oddities.  But as to what TAA (or the rest of them) were thinking, your guess is as good as mine.  For my money, I think he's mentally drained and needs some time away to get his head together. 

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9716 on: September 8, 2022, 03:13:45 pm »
I think almost all the goals against Bournemouth came down that right side. Then again, it was Bournemouth.
It's a fair point but I'm sort of discounting the Bournemouth result from our overall season.  Unfortunately we won't get to play a demoralised Championship-standard side too often this season.

I think I'm right in saying Trent has zero assists and Salah 'only' has two goals.  Elliott has one goal - against Bournemouth - and zero assists.  For all that they're pleasing on the eye with neat interchanges it's not really directly resulting in much.  Defensively that side of the pitch is pretty much an open invitation.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #9717 on: September 8, 2022, 04:24:31 pm »
This was just bizarre.  When I saw it in real time, I did think to myself "I've never seen anything like that before in a top flight match."  When I coached 4th graders I would see that thing a lot...

I seriously thought that there was an invader on the pitch or a bomb had gone off or something that had caused our players to just freeze in place. 

It was the strangest moment in a match full of oddities.  But as to what TAA (or the rest of them) were thinking, your guess is as good as mine.  For my money, I think he's mentally drained and needs some time away to get his head together.

The issue is that it's not a one off. The shot that hit the post and the eventual Sancho goal at OT were exactly the same thing where he's just watching. If it was just an isolated circumstance then sure, just chalk it up to a bad day and move on. But so far yesterday was clearly not an isolated incident.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9718 on: September 8, 2022, 04:27:42 pm »
Well that’s turned out to be a great move so far hasn’t it?  Played 33 games for Aberdeen last season, he comes to us, we find an “injury” that according to the club “could” lead to issues down the line so operated on him.  An injury that no one knew about, which in turn means he’s out for months at a time with Trent’s form he had a cracking chance of getting a game!!!!!

“Unfortunately, Calvin is now not training with us in the moment, he has a little injury," Klopp explained. “Nobody knew, we found it when he did his medical check. Until today he has no problems.“

Yeah, that was last month. He's back in training but seeing as he's had no pre season he's going through that now.

https://twitter.com/CalvinRamsay/status/1564301366985740289

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9719 on: September 8, 2022, 06:55:34 pm »
Yeah, that was last month. He's back in training but seeing as he's had no pre season he's going through that now.

https://twitter.com/CalvinRamsay/status/1564301366985740289

That’s it. Probably a good 6-8 weeks behind the rest, and that’s assuming he doesn’t get injured with the way we operate our training sessions.