Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 567003 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #5800 on: March 21, 2024, 05:03:13 pm »
Being a good investment is a bit of a double-edged sword though. You bring in good young players and they fill squad places or you then sell them on at a profit. The low-risk option is to bring in more young players and a couple of Moneyball signings. You end up with a low wage bill, a low Net spend and you are not reliant on having to be successful on the pitch to turn a profit. If it comes off like it did in 13-14 and you almost win the League and qualify for the Champions League then you have hit the jackpot financially.

The thing is if you want to compete at the highest level then you can't really afford to keep investing in 16-20 year olds and keep waiting for them to develop.

I would say the different paths we took after we sold Suarez and Coutinho illustrates the point.

When Suarez left we took the lower-risk option and spread the money about. We signed eight players and spent a fair chunk on prospects like Markovic, Moreno, Can and Origi.

When Coutinho left we for players who were far more proven like VVD, Ali and Fabinho. For me we need to be careful of falling back into the trap of playing it safe and spreading the money around on prospects. The structure we are setting up massively favours the analytics-recruitment team over a new manager. Personally I think we need to do what you said which is keep on recruiting at all ends of the market.

So do both, like I said?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5801 on: March 21, 2024, 05:26:18 pm »
Per Joycey, Bournemouth’s chief scout Mark Burchill joining us too. Will work ‘in support of’ Fallows and Hunter. Former Celtic player and a bit of a journeyman in terms of his playing career.

'In support'? Don't want to sound sceptical but why do we need Mark Burchill? Fallows and Hunter have done a great job with the scouting department over the years. I hope we aren't changing too much of the structure.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5802 on: March 21, 2024, 05:49:44 pm »
So do both, like I said?

It isn't that simple though.

An example would be the centre-back position. Matip is leaving and VVD is 33 in July and has one year left on his deal. If we want to kick on next season then ideally we spend big money on an established top-drawer centre-back. Someone who can deliver in the here and now. The issue though is where does that leave Quansah. In two or three years time he may develop into a top-drawer centre-back of the required quality.

The low risk option is to use the analytics team to identify a Moneyball signing that gives us an insurance policy. We have been linked with Lloyd-Kelly again. He has been heavily linked on a few occasions and is available on a free. He could come in and do a job and allow Quansah to develop.

So for me it isn't as simple as saying do both. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5803 on: March 21, 2024, 06:38:03 pm »
How is Lloyd Kelly low risk when he's crap

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5804 on: March 21, 2024, 06:46:54 pm »

An example would be the centre-back position. Matip is leaving and VVD is 33 in July and has one year left on his deal. If we want to kick on next season then ideally we spend big money on an established top-drawer centre-back. Someone who can deliver in the here and now. The issue though is where does that leave Quansah. In two or three years time he may develop into a top-drawer centre-back of the required quality.

The low risk option is to use the analytics team to identify a Moneyball signing that gives us an insurance policy. We have been linked with Lloyd-Kelly again. He has been heavily linked on a few occasions and is available on a free. He could come in and do a job and allow Quansah to develop.

The CB position is a good example, Al, but I don't think that you need a top class established CB a la VVD. Not that it shouldn't happen, but there is more leeway if you consider playing time. Van Dijk has been an ever-present for ages; that's one CB position locked in. We have had three CBs practically vying for one place from Lovren-Matip-Gomes to now Konate-Gomes-Quansah. I think the best course of action for the future is to limit VVD's playing time thereby extending his career. Surely, half of the PL games are winnable without VVD. We can then bring in a younger (21-23 y.o.) CB and have him compete with Quansah and Van den Berg (who's doing great), and hope that two out of the three will make it at the top level and avoid major injuries. Certainly Quansah and Van den Berg are showing the right signs.

I would even go as far as saying that there may be other priorities in the team to address before the long-term CB position. And if that is what the club thinks, it's acceptable to postpone the CB search although that will, admittedly, leave us light at the back.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5805 on: March 21, 2024, 06:53:28 pm »

All depends on the situation. The issue would be spending big on a proven quality CB while we still have Van Dijk starting every week. It may depend more on what happens with his contract over the summer.

Konate is also a top quality proven CB and there's Gomez and Qansah as well.

I think we need to buy a CB in the summer (with Matip leaving, Konate a bit injury prone and Gomez covering across the back line plus his own injury history, Virg a year older). Whether we go for a good squad option (Lloyd Kelly perhaps) or more proven first XI quality will depent on Virg.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5806 on: March 21, 2024, 06:56:41 pm »
'In support'? Don't want to sound sceptical but why do we need Mark Burchill? Fallows and Hunter have done a great job with the scouting department over the years. I hope we aren't changing too much of the structure.
Taffarel came in as support for the keeper coaching. It didnt harm what was already in place. Having more good people at the club is never a bad thing.
Its not like Edwards isnt aware of the good work done by those already at the club

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5807 on: March 21, 2024, 07:00:57 pm »
The CB position is a good example, Al, but I don't think that you need a top class established CB a la VVD. Not that it shouldn't happen, but there is more leeway if you consider playing time. Van Dijk has been an ever-present for ages; that's one CB position locked in. We have had three CBs practically vying for one place from Lovren-Matip-Gomes to now Konate-Gomes-Quansah. I think the best course of action for the future is to limit VVD's playing time thereby extending his career. Surely, half of the PL games are winnable without VVD. We can then bring in a younger (21-23 y.o.) CB and have him compete with Quansah and Van den Berg (who's doing great), and hope that two out of the three will make it at the top level and avoid major injuries. Certainly Quansah and Van den Berg are showing the right signs.

I would even go as far as saying that there may be other priorities in the team to address before the long-term CB position. And if that is what the club thinks, it's acceptable to postpone the CB search although that will, admittedly, leave us light at the back.

The central defender is a perfect example of how we all know fuck all, everyone was saying we needed to sign one in the summer, some even proper frothing at how shit we were and negligent, and here pops up Quansah like fucking prime Nestamaldin.

That entire youth set up bar Matos is all still in place and will continue to deliver, I have no doubt.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5808 on: March 21, 2024, 07:03:20 pm »
That's where the judgment becomes crucial and is seemingly very, very hard.

I think most of us thought we needed an extra senior central defender in the summer but we didn't sign one and Quansah has developed really, really well.  Even those within the club seem surprised at his development, especially considering he'd had nothing more than half a season in League One prior to this season.  That could have worked out very differently though if Quansah had performed more like Koumetio (nothing against Koumetio as he's still very young for a central defender) and we'd now be fretting every week about Konate breaking down.  Phillips and Williams performed admirably in the 2022 run-in but if we're being honest neither is Premier League quality, let alone LFC quality.

Were it not for having so many injuries I'd say this is just about the best squad we've had in the modern era.  Similarly though, were it not for having those injuries then players like Quansah, Bradley, Clark, McConnell, Koumas and Danns would be in the U21s or out on loan.

We do take gambles though with not strengthening which has spectacularly backfired in some recent seasons. I thought we were a defender short going into the season but Gomez has been a life saver the way he's covered across the back line, up till now stayed fit and got his form back after some seasons of struggle/injury. Bradley and Quansah emerging has been vital as well and justified the decision not to spend in the summer.

The extra option would have helped at times to ease the load on Konate (playing him in Prague for example before City). It's increasingly becoming a squad game with a relentless schedule, so the more good options you have the better.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5809 on: March 21, 2024, 07:08:25 pm »
The central defender is a perfect example of how we all know fuck all, everyone was saying we needed to sign one in the summer, some even proper frothing at how shit we were and negligent, and here pops up Quansah like fucking prime Nestamaldin.

That entire youth set up bar Matos is all still in place and will continue to deliver, I have no doubt.
Well, you are right, but there was a bit of luck involved. Even Jurgen admitted that he didn't expect such a quick rise from Quansah. But my point was that you have to provide the opportunity for a few players (you're right again, the academy produces good ones), increase the number of such promising players and hope that one of two or two of three will step up. Suppose you bring a young VVD-level CB to play with VVD all the time, that blocks the path for Quansah, Van den Berg and whoever else the academy produces or we buy. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5810 on: March 21, 2024, 07:32:32 pm »

Klopp.

"If you would have asked me pre-season (if) he would be that good I would have been surprised but since then I saw him every day and I am not surprised any more.

"It's great to have a boy from our own academy with that potential and quality. We will see where he ends up but it is extremely promising. There was talk about him going on loan and we said 'no', that was obviously a very good decision."

Quansah was 5th choice centreback going into this season. A combination of a season-ending injury to Matip, Ibou being unable to stay fit and long term injuries to Trent, Robbo and Tsimikas has seen him get far more opportunities than was expected. That shows what can happen when young players get opportunities. Bradley has been another example. Trent being injured and Gomez having to cover elsewhere has given him a run in the team.

Virgil is out of contract next summer and a new contract will be hugely expensive to renew. So what do the suits do. Tie a huge amount of money up in a player who is going to be mid 30's and in decline or trust the recruitment team to invest that money wisely?

The question now is what happens going forward. Quansah and Bradley now need game time to continue developing. We also need to remain competitive. So what do we do as a club. Bring in a top-quality centreback who is ready to start 25+ League games or do we keep a path open for our young players? 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5811 on: March 21, 2024, 07:41:52 pm »
If there was 1 position I’d want the club to invest heavily in this summer it would be CB. Matip’s probably gone, Quansah’s developing, and Konate picks up a fair few knocks. Gomez and Virgil are in their prime and generally fit but do we want Virg playing as many games as he has this season? And how long does he have left at the top?

I don’t care if they’re left footed or not but if we were only buying 1 first teamer this summer then I’d hope it was a CB.

Preferably mahoosive and rapid

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5812 on: March 21, 2024, 08:45:40 pm »
Klopp.

"If you would have asked me pre-season (if) he would be that good I would have been surprised but since then I saw him every day and I am not surprised any more.

"It's great to have a boy from our own academy with that potential and quality. We will see where he ends up but it is extremely promising. There was talk about him going on loan and we said 'no', that was obviously a very good decision."

Quansah was 5th choice centreback going into this season. A combination of a season-ending injury to Matip, Ibou being unable to stay fit and long term injuries to Trent, Robbo and Tsimikas has seen him get far more opportunities than was expected. That shows what can happen when young players get opportunities. Bradley has been another example. Trent being injured and Gomez having to cover elsewhere has given him a run in the team.

Virgil is out of contract next summer and a new contract will be hugely expensive to renew. So what do the suits do. Tie a huge amount of money up in a player who is going to be mid 30's and in decline or trust the recruitment team to invest that money wisely?

The question now is what happens going forward. Quansah and Bradley now need game time to continue developing. We also need to remain competitive. So what do we do as a club. Bring in a top-quality centreback who is ready to start 25+ League games or do we keep a path open for our young players?

It depends what happens with Trent and Virg with their contracts. And then if they both sign a new contract in the summer then what does the new manager do with Trent positionally? He may want to shore the back line up more. If we renew Virg then you'd hope he's got at least another couple years in him as a regular starter (albeit managing minutes more). Is Gomez going to be more of a CB next season, or just covering across the line? For me, we sign a CB in the summer, preferably a left footed one, but the calibre of player may depend on whether Virg renews. Van Der Ven was available last summer which seemed an obvious fit, Chelsea wouldn't sell us Colwill unless we paid silly money which we weren't going to do.

There's plenty of opportunities anyway with injuries, rotation, a crazy schedule with even more games next year. It's not like we'll be putting the same team out every week.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5813 on: March 21, 2024, 09:34:17 pm »

I suppose it would completely depend on who the club want and how ready they’ll be. Let’s say we sign a player from a foreign league, the club may want that player to have 12 months to settle in without the need to play every week as they settle, this may be advantageous if we decide to go for a slightly younger player or someone who may need longer to adapt physically. Think Leny Yoro or Gonçalo Inacio.

I’m pretty relaxed there would be enough minutes to go around if we decided to sign a top young defender, particularly if that player can fill in at either full back position. Matip should be gone, Konate can’t stay fit, Gomez probably won’t feature much at centre back and Virgil should see his minutes reduced if he stays. Quansah we can continue like he has this season, there’s no rush to thrust him into a position where we rely on him too much, I’d give him another year like he’s had this season, we don’t want another situation like we had when Wijnaldum left and his replacement (Jones) wasn’t quite ready.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5814 on: March 22, 2024, 11:30:27 am »

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying but Quansah is now our 3rd choice CB.  Why would you ever even consider bringing someone in to play ahead of him?  With VVD, Konate, Quansah, and Gomez we have 4 very good CB's.  Surely, the logical thing to do would be to bring in a highly rated young player to develop and take one of those 4 spots when it's time to replace VVD?

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5815 on: March 22, 2024, 11:38:40 am »
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying but Quansah is now our 3rd choice CB.  Why would you ever even consider bringing someone in to play ahead of him?  With VVD, Konate, Quansah, and Gomez we have 4 very good CB's.  Surely, the logical thing to do would be to bring in a highly rated young player to develop and take one of those 4 spots when it's time to replace VVD?

Agreed what We need IMO is the next Konate, 22-24 years old, and has all the attributes we want and enough game experience to be able to adapt to life quickly so we increase the competition and quality today and can rest VVD more to extend his longevity.

Nallo coming through is highly thought of and could be ready to step up by the time VVD leaves, I don’t see any point in signing a 27-28 year old

Quansah is a firm first team squad player, Gomez is more of a utility player and Konate picks up too many knocks

we could also see a formation change to a back 3 which does increase the need to have more depth

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5816 on: March 22, 2024, 11:52:47 am »
Agreed what We need IMO is the next Konate, 22-24 years old, and has all the attributes we want and enough game experience to be able to adapt to life quickly so we increase the competition and quality today and can rest VVD more to extend his longevity.

Nallo coming through is highly thought of and could be ready to step up by the time VVD leaves, I don’t see any point in signing a 27-28 year old

Quansah is a firm first team squad player, Gomez is more of a utility player and Konate picks up too many knocks

we could also see a formation change to a back 3 which does increase the need to have more depth

Probably the best thing we could look for, yeah. Someone who's played a few years in a top league/Europe who under the next manager will become one of the best centre halves around like Konate has done under Klopp. If Quansah himself keeps looking as he is right now and gets even better there's a chance he might even be his eventual partner in the long-term.

I still have hope that can be Konate himself though, he's not even 25 yet which is mad. Gomez too, though. He's barely played centre half this season but he still can going forward, I'm certain it's always going to be his best position, too many people are still thinking about last season when he was a bit rubbish forgetting that practically everyone else was too. Beyond those we still have Van Den Berg but I'm sceptical at this stage of his career when he's been on loan for about four years whether he'll want to come back and be a squad player, he might as well go and play regular football, at least I would think.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 1918

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5817 on: March 22, 2024, 12:11:59 pm »
Probably the best thing we could look for, yeah. Someone who's played a few years in a top league/Europe who under the next manager will become one of the best centre halves around like Konate has done under Klopp. If Quansah himself keeps looking as he is right now and gets even better there's a chance he might even be his eventual partner in the long-term.

I still have hope that can be Konate himself though, he's not even 25 yet which is mad. Gomez too, though. He's barely played centre half this season but he still can going forward, I'm certain it's always going to be his best position, too many people are still thinking about last season when he was a bit rubbish forgetting that practically everyone else was too. Beyond those we still have Van Den Berg but I'm sceptical at this stage of his career when he's been on loan for about four years whether he'll want to come back and be a squad player, he might as well go and play regular football, at least I would think.

Maybe someone like Colwill. Signed a new deal but as best I can tell Chelsea are going to have to sell players like Colwill quickly this summer to comply with FFP. Checks a lot of boxes. Maybe too expensive but maybe not if Chelsea is under pressure to sell.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5818 on: March 22, 2024, 01:15:24 pm »

Yes, the new manager and what formation he has us using will have a massive effect on our transfer decisions.  Not to state the obvious or anything. 

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #5819 on: March 22, 2024, 01:35:51 pm »

Did we ever get any insight as to why Matos was leaving?

I was initially shocked at, not only Klopp leaving, but his team as well.
But Matos is in a crucial role too, and appears to be doing a fantastic job as Elite development coach.
Could he not have stayed on?
Did he want to leave?
Is he going with Lindjers?
I initially thought that there must have been something already in place, to confirm the additional exits, but not sure now.
The success of the kids this year, however, makes it all the more difficult to accept, that there is little continuity with the coaching staff.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5820 on: March 22, 2024, 01:42:43 pm »
Maybe someone like Colwill. Signed a new deal but as best I can tell Chelsea are going to have to sell players like Colwill quickly this summer to comply with FFP. Checks a lot of boxes. Maybe too expensive but maybe not if Chelsea is under pressure to sell.

The thing with the likes of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United is they'll happily sell to each other, but they go out their way to not sell to us.

Unless there's a release clause I just wouldn't bother dealing with these clubs.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5821 on: March 22, 2024, 01:55:32 pm »
Didn't we just sign a brilliant young CB for the Academy from West Ham last summer.

We have 4 top class CB's and this Kid on the cusp if he improves as expected.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5822 on: March 22, 2024, 02:11:21 pm »
Did we ever get any insight as to why Matos was leaving?

I was initially shocked at, not only Klopp leaving, but his team as well.
But Matos is in a crucial role too, and appears to be doing a fantastic job as Elite development coach.
Could he not have stayed on?
Did he want to leave?
Is he going with Lindjers?
I initially thought that there must have been something already in place, to confirm the additional exits, but not sure now.
The success of the kids this year, however, makes it all the more difficult to accept, that there is little continuity with the coaching staff.

From what I've read and heard he's following Pep as his assistant.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5823 on: March 22, 2024, 02:27:43 pm »
Didn't we just sign a brilliant young CB for the Academy from West Ham last summer.

We might have the 4 but the issue is Konate's injury record, Virgil's age and Gomez's injury record coupled with him being cover on both flanks.

Even with Matip this season we went into it thinking we'd be short at the back, and we would have been, but Quansah has really stepped up to tide us over along with Gomez playing wherever he's needed across the back any given week.

I think it needs to be one in and one out with Matip unless the new manager is confident Van Der Berg is ready and able.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5824 on: March 22, 2024, 03:00:00 pm »

We have CL football next year. That means a greater workload for our best players. There's less scope to play kids.

Next season, we need a young but experienced CB to come in (mid-20's).

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5825 on: March 22, 2024, 03:07:25 pm »
I think it needs to be one in and one out with Matip unless the new manager is confident Van Den Berg is ready and able.
How's he getting on? Can anyone who watches the B/L give an appraisal?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #5826 on: March 22, 2024, 03:17:48 pm »
We might have the 4 but the issue is Konate's injury record, Virgil's age and Gomez's injury record coupled with him being cover on both flanks.

Even with Matip this season we went into it thinking we'd be short at the back, and we would have been, but Quansah has really stepped up to tide us over along with Gomez playing wherever he's needed across the back any given week.

I think it needs to be one in and one out with Matip unless the new manager is confident Van Der Berg is ready and able.

We would have been short even with Matip this season....but haven't been because of Quansah?  ???

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5827 on: March 22, 2024, 03:20:36 pm »
We would have been short even with Matip this season....but haven't been because of Quansah?  ???

He means as it stood Van Dijk/Konate/Matip/Gomez was our options at the start and that is 3/4 injury prone CBs so yes, most were expecting another addition as it's short. Quansah stepped up brilliantly thankfully.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #5828 on: March 22, 2024, 05:22:47 pm »
Never mind who is on the shopping list, their first piece of business should be sorting out a new contract for TAA.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5829 on: March 22, 2024, 05:29:37 pm »
Never mind who is on the shopping list, their first piece of business should be sorting out a new contract for TAA.

Been thinking about this lately - he may be one of those players that wants to go overseas. He's really close with Bellingham - who may be in his ear about moving there and playing with him. 

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5830 on: March 22, 2024, 05:38:05 pm »
He's going to sign a new deal this summer.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5831 on: March 23, 2024, 08:31:28 am »
Been thinking about this lately - he may be one of those players that wants to go overseas. He's really close with Bellingham - who may be in his ear about moving there and playing with him.

I’ve felt for around 18 months now that it’s nothing to do with Bellingham or anything like that but strictly his position. A manager as good as Jurgen can get creative and find ways to appease Trent’s desire to play more centrally, we’ve seen this season he’s moved him fully central at the end of games, this has opened up the possibility of Trent playing centre mid for England, too. Whether we like it or not it matters to some players, probably because it raises their profile massively which improves their potential earnings and standing in the game.

For me, he’ll want assurances there’s a plan for him to start regularly from midfield. I know football’s becoming more positionless now, but he still defends in the right back area and he still gets exposed in these areas. I imagine it’s been impossible for the club to give him that without the new man in place. As much as he loves the club, he’s in such a position of strength where he can say if you won’t play me in midfield, Real Madrid or whoever will. Let’s face it, Madrid would be getting a potential Kroos heir for a knockdown fee if he only has 12 months on his deal, or even decides to walk.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5832 on: March 23, 2024, 08:43:50 am »

He’s 17. Let’s be serious, even if he turns into a great player like Quansah looks, he’s still 3-4 years away from even that. The reality with centre halves is they tend to be ‘ready’ a lot later than other position groups, he probably needs a couple of years to continue growing at academy level, then they can look at loans around the divisions to get him physically ready. I think it’s one of the more difficult positions to produce your own as they very often need a few hundred appearances under their belt before they fully mature at the elite level. Looking around the league at some of our rivals, there’s only really Colwill who’s an academy produced centre half, we obviously have Quansah, the rest are mostly players signed from other clubs once they’re fully developed. If we’re looking at the centre half position group, we have to be thinking for the next 5 years, if Nallo factors into that plan I’d say it would be at the tail end of it at best.

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #5833 on: March 23, 2024, 09:25:33 am »

Van den berg

Offline itihasas

• Main Stander
« Reply #5834 on: March 23, 2024, 11:04:30 am »
Lots of the articles I've read suggest his 'edge' is an ability to interpret data, along with a strong business acumen that includes an ability to deal with his impressive list of connections in football. These connections have helped in negotiations with the likes of Roma (Becker), as we were aware of financial pressure and took advantage of certain situations.

On TAW yesterday they mentioned the triangle of Edwards, Hughes and the new coach replacing Gordon, Edwards and Klopp. Fundamentally all three being involved in the decision to buy players.

They also speculated that there could be an even stronger focus on recruiting 16-20 year olds in the mould of Conor Bradley and Bobby Clark, to use the momentum that has been gained from the sheer number of academy players that are getting to play for the first team.

Interesting, wasn't Gordon heavily invested in the commercial side of operations as well?
Let noble thoughts come to me from all directions - Rig Veda

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5835 on: March 23, 2024, 01:25:09 pm »
Interesting, wasn't Gordon heavily invested in the commercial side of operations as well?

Not particularly no.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5836 on: March 23, 2024, 01:29:02 pm »
He’s 17. Let’s be serious, even if he turns into a great player like Quansah looks, he’s still 3-4 years away from even that. The reality with centre halves is they tend to be ‘ready’ a lot later than other position groups, he probably needs a couple of years to continue growing at academy level, then they can look at loans around the divisions to get him physically ready. I think it’s one of the more difficult positions to produce your own as they very often need a few hundred appearances under their belt before they fully mature at the elite level. Looking around the league at some of our rivals, there’s only really Colwill who’s an academy produced centre half, we obviously have Quansah, the rest are mostly players signed from other clubs once they’re fully developed. If we’re looking at the centre half position group, we have to be thinking for the next 5 years, if Nallo factors into that plan I’d say it would be at the tail end of it at best.

Madrid won't play him in midfield either. Have you seen their midfield talent? They are set for the next decade.

Tchoo Tchoo
Camavinga
Valverde
Bellingham

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5837 on: March 23, 2024, 02:28:01 pm »

Madrid won't play him in midfield either. Have you seen their midfield talent? They are set for the next decade.

Tchoo Tchoo
Camavinga
Valverde
Bellingham

Think you quoted the wrong one but I know what you mean. I think you’d be surprised. Not everyone can stay fit and not everyone can play every game, it’s kind of accepted at Madrid that good players will spend the odd game on the bench. I said in my post I think they could look at him and groom him a little into what Kroos does for them, that sort of deep lying playmaker whose passing range and weight of pass is just off the charts. He could still occasionally play right back for them still.

I think Trent wants to stay and I do think he will stay, but this is a key negotiation period for him. He’s about to enter his peak years, I think we all seen last season just how much he wanted to play in midfield, when Klopp fully inverted him (Arsenal at home) he went to a different level and looked reenergised by it. His contract situation means he now has the upper hand in negotiations, he can ask for significant money (that shouldn’t be an issue considering he’s an academy player) and he can probably ask for assurances on where he’ll be playing in the eyes of the new manager. I don’t believe he wants to go, but it’s a curious situation where he may be thinking a little more selfishly, which he’s entitled to do, he was the best player in the league up until his recent injuries.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5838 on: March 23, 2024, 03:14:57 pm »
Trent will wait to see who the new manager is and hear his plans.  He'd be daft not to.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5839 on: March 23, 2024, 06:39:03 pm »
Trent will wait to see who the new manager is and hear his plans.  He'd be daft not to.

The daft bit is allowing three of our most important players to go into the last year of their deal. We could lose Trent, VVD and Salah for nothing in the summer of 2025.
"Ohhh-kayyy"