Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 576226 times)

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #5600 on: March 14, 2024, 03:11:54 pm »
Might help us granted but I hate this multi club shit and I'd hate if/when we become a part of it.

Don't disagree but evolve or fall behind.

We used to say similar when Man Utd built their megastore etc - thought we were better than that and it cost us for many years

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5601 on: March 14, 2024, 03:15:02 pm »
Don't disagree but evolve or fall behind.

We used to say similar when Man Utd built their megastore etc - thought we were better than that and it cost us for many years

This is arguably impinging on competitive integrity though. Shameless capitalism sticks in the throat a little bit but isn’t of the same magnitude.

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5602 on: March 14, 2024, 03:45:16 pm »
This is arguably impinging on competitive integrity though. Shameless capitalism sticks in the throat a little bit but isn’t of the same magnitude.

Again - I don't disagree in the slightest - but do we evolve or fall behind?

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5603 on: March 14, 2024, 03:51:17 pm »
its horrible, just another nail in the games coffin.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5604 on: March 14, 2024, 05:02:11 pm »

:D

I expect Edwards finds Klopp a fairly egregious person.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5605 on: March 14, 2024, 05:03:38 pm »
I'm certain nobody is happy that we're going down this route but it's for the footballing authorities to decide whether it's ethically right or not so until they pull their finger out and legislate, club owners will take advantage.

Yes as fans we can make our feelings known and we know it's possible to effect our own owners decisions but we really have no influence on those in charge of the worldwide game. 

We don't have the money to buy their favour like others!

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5606 on: March 14, 2024, 06:48:52 pm »
If FSG are looking to invest in another European club, I'm curious whether we'd look at opportunities in countries like Austria and Switzerland. Edwards is a fan of the Red Bull model, maybe he'd look at Salzburg as an example and look to leagues that don't attract as much attention, where we could figure out how we want to structure everything and maybe make a mistake or two along the way without the kind of scrutiny that might come with investing in a club in a 'bigger' league. We've obviously benefitted from buying players who've been developed within that model, it could be a way for us to bring in talent from markets like Asia and Africa and develop those players with a view to them eventually playing for Liverpool.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5607 on: March 14, 2024, 07:09:09 pm »
I think we can all mostly agree we aren’t behind the principles of the multi club model, particularly if it’s with a view of farming talent for us at the top of the pile.

However, in the interests of debate, if it were to happen I do agree that Portugal would probably be the best place to look. A natural destination for a lot of Brazilian/South American talent, a great league with a decent record of producing players suited to playing in England and a country that’s become one of the best conveyor belts of talent in the last 20 years or so. If you’re looking to set up in a league, establish an international network of contacts and essentially offer a different path for international prospects, Portugal ticks pretty much all of the boxes.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #5608 on: March 14, 2024, 07:39:37 pm »
Investing in French football would be the most idiotic idea Edwards could come up with. The talent pool in France is very limited. You get the occasional world beaters but the level of football to develop players just isnt that good.

Its got to be a South American club or bust. The best players in the world come from South America.

Eh? Paris along with London and Sao Paulo are basically the three biggest talent pools across world football.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #5609 on: March 14, 2024, 10:15:37 pm »
:D

I expect Edwards finds Klopp a fairly egregious person.
;D

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #5610 on: March 14, 2024, 11:07:17 pm »
Eh? Paris along with London and Sao Paulo are basically the three biggest talent pools across world football.

Well fuck it let’s buy Chelsea  ;D ;D

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #5611 on: March 15, 2024, 09:15:23 am »

Well fuck it let’s buy Chelsea  ;D ;D

If we're going down that route, Brighton would be cheaper.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #5612 on: March 15, 2024, 07:57:07 pm »
Multi-club ownership is so ridiculous.  All the big clubs will eventually have "feeder" clubs around the world which means the teams who can't afford it will fall even further behind, making it harder to compete. 

While we have to do this to stay competitive, I really hope this concept is stopped in the future.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5613 on: March 15, 2024, 08:02:37 pm »
Might help us granted but I hate this multi club shit and I'd hate if/when we become a part of it.

It is shit but with Brexit it's harder to get non-British players here, we wouldn't be able to get more Bajcetic's for example and then if you want a Caicedo or Fernandez you're paying north of 100 million.

Get a club in Portugal who can be a conduit for South American talent, for example, rather than pay Benfica 100 million for Fernandez or Nunez.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5614 on: March 15, 2024, 08:12:53 pm »
It is shit but with Brexit it's harder to get non-British players here, we wouldn't be able to get more Bajcetic's for example and then if you want a Caicedo or Fernandez you're paying north of 100 million.

Get a club in Portugal who can be a conduit for South American talent, for example, rather than pay Benfica 100 million for Fernandez or Nunez.
Don’t think that’s true any longer.  They’ve  changed the rules.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5615 on: March 15, 2024, 09:13:14 pm »

Cant get them at 16 anymore but it easier to get them at 18. 16 they are normally cheaper though

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5616 on: March 15, 2024, 09:35:45 pm »
Cant get them at 16 anymore but it easier to get them at 18. 16 they are normally cheaper though
:o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #5618 on: March 15, 2024, 10:38:20 pm »
edwards will know what he is doing

i would give him a statue just for the sadio and mo transfers

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5619 on: March 16, 2024, 12:29:46 pm »
Ornstein: Liverpool owners FSG working on move for Benfica technical director Pedro Marques as part of new set-up. Would be employed by FSG rather than #LFC & focus on 2nd club operation. Former Man City + highly regarded.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5620 on: March 16, 2024, 12:40:00 pm »
Ornstein: Liverpool owners FSG working on move for Benfica technical director Pedro Marques as part of new set-up. Would be employed by FSG rather than #LFC & focus on 2nd club operation. Former Man City + highly regarded.

Liverpool owner FSG working to hire Pedro Marques, Benfica technical director
James Pearce, Simon Hughes, David Ornstein, James Horncastle

Liverpool owner Fenway Sports Group (FSG) is working on a move for Benfica technical director Pedro Marques in the latest step to build its new structure after the arrival of Michael Edwards.

FSG last week announced Edwards’ appointment to the CEO of football role, which includes taking overall charge of Liverpool’s sporting set-up.

A key part of his job will be to help acquire and oversee a second club, with the 44-year-old calling it “one of the biggest factors in my decision”. Edwards added: “I believe that to remain competitive, investment and expansion of the current football portfolio is necessary.”

FSG is targeting Marques largely to provide his skills and expertise on such a project. The highly-regarded Portuguese would be employed by the Boston-based company rather than Liverpool.

Marques’ vast experience in this area would be utilised to assist FSG in its search and then subsequent management of another team, which will mainly be used to attract global talent.

He is known to Liverpool from their talks to sign Darwin Nunez from Benfica in 2022 and has ties to former Anfield sporting director Julian Ward.

Marques started out as a youth coach at Sporting Lisbon in 2004 before occupying a first team performance analyst position at Manchester City six years later, when Ward was a City scout.

In 2014, Marques switched to a coaching and analysis lead post for City Football Group (CFG) — the multi-club model that owns or has shares in Manchester City, Girona, Melbourne City and eight other teams around the world.

He then joined Benfica in 2018 to operate as a youth technical director and has generated a strong reputation throughout the industry.

FSG has been embarking upon a restructure of Liverpool since the confirmation in January that manager Jurgen Klopp will leave in the summer.

Ex-Liverpool sporting director Edwards was a key piece in the jigsaw and his previous title — having been vacated by Jorg Schmadtke — is expected to be taken by Bournemouth’s Richard Hughes.

https://theathletic.com/5344269/2024/03/16/pedro-marques-who-liverpool-fsg/

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5621 on: March 16, 2024, 12:50:05 pm »
A hint that the second club is going to be a Portuguese club, maybe?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5622 on: March 16, 2024, 12:52:45 pm »

Thought that myself. Portugal probably a better landing point into Europe for South American talent

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5623 on: March 16, 2024, 12:55:01 pm »
Maybe Benfica itself? We seem to be on good terms with them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5624 on: March 16, 2024, 12:55:04 pm »

Thought that myself. Portugal probably a better landing point into Europe for South American talent

Yeah, makes sense.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #5625 on: March 16, 2024, 12:58:29 pm »
Less visa issues with a Portugeuse club if we're planning on signing South American players.

I'm still not happy with this, it would have to be a segunda division club who have never achieved anything that would be happy becoming our talent pool. And the fans should be able to have a vote on it.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5626 on: March 16, 2024, 01:02:50 pm »
Buy a club/invest and install Pep as manager?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5627 on: March 16, 2024, 01:13:09 pm »
Less visa issues with a Portugeuse club if we're planning on signing South American players.

I'm still not happy with this, it would have to be a segunda division club who have never achieved anything that would be happy becoming our talent pool. And the fans should be able to have a vote on it.

Why Segunda? If you look at the League table, barely any of the clubs outside of Sporting/Benfica/Porto/Braga/Boavista have achieved anything.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5628 on: March 16, 2024, 01:23:32 pm »

Yeah, sums up how I feel about it so hard to be excited about appointments like this Benfica guy.

Agree completely about the type of club/vote for their fans.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5629 on: March 16, 2024, 01:35:16 pm »

Nah, Benfica are way too big and historic club for FSG to buy as a second club.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5630 on: March 16, 2024, 01:36:04 pm »
If you look at the ownerships outside of the Big Three (Sporting, Benfica, Porto), there's quite a lot external investment already in the Primeira Liga

Braga - QSI (PSG owners) have a minority stake
Vitoria - V Sports (Villa owners) have a minority stake
Boavista - Gerard Lopez (also owns Bordeaux)
Famalicao - Idan Ofer (also has a minority stake in Atletico Madrid)
Rio Ave - Evangelos Marinakis (also owns Nottingham Forest and Olympiacos)
Casa Pia - Robert Platek (also has a stake in Spezia)
Estoril - David Blitzer (has stakes in Crystal Palace, Alcoron, Beveren, Augsburg, Brondby, ADO Den Haag)

A lot of the teams in Portugal have smaller stadiums, so I'm not sure how FFP comes into this unless you bank on transfer fees being a significant source of income. I seem to remember Boehly was considering a minority stake in Sporting last year. At the time, the owner of Liga Portugal 2 side Belenenses was quoted as saying he thought the idea of Sporting becoming Chelsea's feeder club was offensive. He also suggested his own club wouldn't be part of any multi-club ownership model.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5631 on: March 16, 2024, 01:38:59 pm »
Taking a top flight Portuguese club on as a second club and installing Linjders and Matos as the new coaching team would be some incredible 4d chess to ensure they keep top level coaches in the group. Would be a very smart move in creating a football group.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5632 on: March 16, 2024, 02:09:02 pm »
Buy a club/invest and install Pep as manager?
Not a silly idea that.  But I think he’s going to be the next Ajax boss isn’t he?

Portuguese could also mean Brazilian clubs of course…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5633 on: March 16, 2024, 02:23:54 pm »
Not a silly idea that.  But I think he’s going to be the next Ajax boss isn’t he?

Portuguese could also mean Brazilian clubs of course…

Didn't Ornstein say that FSG wanted to invest in a European club?

I'm surprised how many other clubs have beat us to the punch, I thought there were a few multi-club set ups but it seems like they're everywhere.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5634 on: March 16, 2024, 02:35:31 pm »
We're looking at a European club first. Brazil after that.  :D

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5635 on: March 16, 2024, 02:41:08 pm »
This has been in the works some time, all looks like it’s just being released to the public now.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5636 on: March 16, 2024, 02:59:53 pm »
We're clearly headfing in the Red Bull direction, which Edwards is a fan of.

This Marques fella was Benfica's techinal director and they have one of the best Academies in Europe.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5637 on: March 16, 2024, 03:07:27 pm »
We're looking at a European club first. Brazil after that.  :D
We might attract the next Ronaldo :D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5638 on: March 16, 2024, 03:07:50 pm »

If one of these smaller second-division clubs ever produced a top player, they would be poached by a bigger club anyway. We can bemoan the state of that at large in football, but this second club model doesn't have to be a big black stain. The fans of the second club would surely have better football and better players to watch, and they'd have more wins. They'd consistently be competitive. Their best players would consistently leave too, but clubs like Dortmund are already dealing with the same thing. We don't operate like the cheats or have the same concerns with regard to camouflaging our cheating with a second club.

I have been wondering about Toulouse, which Red Bird owns, for a long time. I wonder if FSG would try to work something out with them as well, after Portugal.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5639 on: March 16, 2024, 03:10:05 pm »

Hope not. Benfica are a big club with an amazing history. Clubs like that deserve to stand on their own rather than be smaller partner in some group.