Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1424321 times)

Offline Jack Barrels

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8000 on: March 11, 2019, 05:03:48 pm »
If we do get through, we’re getting one of the English teams. Just so you’re not shocked  :)

Spurs it is, let's have 'em
Really thought Martin Kelly would make it.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #8001 on: March 11, 2019, 05:32:00 pm »
Shit, Pawson is the ref on Sunday....

Mind you it could have been worse. It could have been Moss, Tierney, Marriner, Taylor, Atkinson......jesus there is not much choice is there.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8002 on: March 11, 2019, 05:37:37 pm »
Shit, Pawson is the ref on Sunday....

Mind you it could have been worse. It could have been Moss, Tierney, Marriner, Taylor, Atkinson......jesus there is not much choice is there.

he's not good [few are now] but for me he's not as bad as Moss taylor or atkinson.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8003 on: March 11, 2019, 06:00:55 pm »
Sunday 12th May
Saturday 1st June

Two weeks and six days between the last league game and the CL final. It's too much. Consider the results we had after the Dubai and Spain breaks. On the one hand the sample is too small, and anything can happen in any game, but you can make a fair argument to say the breaks disrupted our rhythm. (Hopefully at the end of the season we will be able to make the argument that they were crucial to winning the Premier League!)

Anyhow, at first glance, twenty days between games is far too much.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #8004 on: March 11, 2019, 06:16:50 pm »
Assuming City get through to the FA Cup SF,  they want to bring forward the Cardiff home league game to the midweek beforehand because it the only blank midweek available that doesn't either clash with Champions League QF/SF weeks or the midweek scheduled PL game against United.
Do Cardiff have to agree or can they tell City to do one?

In theory, Wanker and co. could pick a time where City have to play them 2 days after a game and 2 days before the next one. Cardiff have no chance of getting a result unless they can force City to play at a ridiculous moment.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #8005 on: March 11, 2019, 06:27:55 pm »
Hopefully this works, for easy reference. I will update as we go!

Suggestions for changes to the structure welcome, I designed it yesterday and played with a few formats but basically this is all about a quick glance easily to tell where we could be and they could be after the next few rounds of fixtures.

Feel free to share download edit- all good. Cheers!

Perfect, nice one :)
:D

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8006 on: March 11, 2019, 06:28:44 pm »
Hopefully this works, for easy reference. I will update as we go!

Suggestions for changes to the structure welcome, I designed it yesterday and played with a few formats but basically this is all about a quick glance easily to tell where we could be and they could be after the next few rounds of fixtures.

Feel free to share download edit- all good. Cheers!

A lot of love went into that sheet I see...
Jeepers that run of City's after the International break is gruelling!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:35:21 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #8007 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:26 pm »
You have to look at Spurs, United, Burnley, CL Semi 1st leg (assuming they get there) and then Leicester as the set of fixtures that'll settle it. On paper those are a really difficult set of fixtures with not much rest time in between.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8008 on: March 11, 2019, 06:36:42 pm »
Sunday 12th May
Saturday 1st June

Two weeks and six days between the last league game and the CL final. It's too much. Consider the results we had after the Dubai and Spain breaks. On the one hand the sample is too small, and anything can happen in any game, but you can make a fair argument to say the breaks disrupted our rhythm. (Hopefully at the end of the season we will be able to make the argument that they were crucial to winning the Premier League!)

Anyhow, at first glance, twenty days between games is far too much.

Totally agree. It affected us last year and in Athens.
I'm hoping Klopp schedules a friendly against our B team Southampton or someone, so we can win the double.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8009 on: March 11, 2019, 06:36:55 pm »
You have to look at Spurs, United, Burnley, CL Semi 1st leg (assuming they get there) and then Leicester as the set of fixtures that'll settle it. On paper those are a really difficult set of fixtures with not much rest time in between.
Just before that, there's Palace AWAY as well. That's a threacherous run.
4 battling fixtures in a row. If that was us, we'd already have some wetting the bed weeks in advance and once more on each matchday, just for good measure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:39:55 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8010 on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:38 pm »
Good job with that fixtures table.

It’s imperative we win the next 3 games. That’s a big uphill battle for them if they drop any points in their next 3. We’d be running with a game in hand and the pressure would be massive on them after that if they lost points in any one of their next few on top. It would demand perfection from them in the league at a point they may also still be in the middle of CL and FA Cup challenges.

We have to win the next 3 games. Should set us up for it perfectly.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #8011 on: March 11, 2019, 06:53:46 pm »
Just before that, there's Palace AWAY as well. That's a threacherous run.
4 battling fixtures in a row. If that was us, we'd already have some wetting the bed weeks in advance and once more on each matchday, just for good measure.

All so true.

And when you look at a squad who all have had some injuries (all in some form of recovery or recent fitness), we might see more.

1. Kompany
2. Stones
3. Laporte
4. Fernandinho
5. Jesus
6. Mendy
7. DeBruyne
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8012 on: March 11, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »
ITs already come to the stage when once we drop points there is little chance of getting them back, especially when you are talking about a title challenge.

Those teams from 3rd to 6th. They are there because they are too inconsistent. They also have more chance of clawing back the lost points. In our case and City;s if either of us drop any more points, its going to be an uphill battle

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8013 on: March 11, 2019, 06:59:54 pm »
Good job with that fixtures table.

It’s imperative we win the next 3 games. That’s a big uphill battle for them if they drop any points in their next 3. We’d be running with a game in hand and the pressure would be massive on them after that if they lost points in any one of their next few on top. It would demand perfection from them in the league at a point they may also still be in the middle of CL and FA Cup challenges.

We have to win the next 3 games. Should set us up for it perfectly.
That Palace away kicks it all off. They're currently on 33pts.
It'll be a war of attrition with a frantic pace. You just know the Owl would be up for it. He would want to maintain his "rep" as "one of the most respected coaches in Europe" by beating Pep again- thereby showing that his method do indeed translate... from Malmo to the Eithad, to Selhurst Park. Dragging them down into the gutter and beating them with "experience". ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:06:38 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Blue Coop

• Anny Roader
  • MCFC
« Reply #8014 on: March 11, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »
No worries, I was spending too long trying to figure out how many points ahead we can get if City progress through FA Cup etc, and when they play catch up game/s. If they get through and we keep winning that pressure won't half be on City. We could be 5 pts clear (albeit with them having 2 games in hand) before they play Spurs for example, and then they'll have a fixture pile-up too to contend with. I can't see where that (almost certainly) rearranged Cardiff game easily fits.
I think Cardiff would actually get pulled forward into the midweek similar to the Everton fixture.

Definitely a potential for fixture pile up though if not!

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8015 on: March 11, 2019, 07:28:41 pm »
If the Owl can beat City again, I personally would have him in for our 'Manager of the Season'.  And he should be on one of our Kop banners for ever.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8016 on: March 11, 2019, 07:33:50 pm »
If the Owl can beat City again, I personally would have him in for our 'Manager of the Season'.  And he should be on one of our Kop banners for ever.

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #8017 on: March 11, 2019, 07:44:37 pm »
It looks that way to me, though they could presumably move the Cardiff game forward to the midweek between Sun 31st March and Fri 5th April, otherwise the only space I can see (presuming they reach the CL Semis) is somewhere between the CL SF 2nd Leg, and the Final day of the season. Which would mean a CL SF and two premier league fixtures in about 5/6 days.

This is what Man utd have done with the league fixture against Wolves. They are due to play each other on the weekend of the FA cup semis, but seen as 1 of them will be in the semi (as they've drawn each other in the quarters) they've bought the league game forward to the 2nd April. City would want to do something similar.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #8018 on: March 11, 2019, 07:48:37 pm »
Right up there, we need to win the most of our games, I believe City will drop some points. Come on the Pool! This is finally our year.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #8019 on: March 11, 2019, 08:44:13 pm »
they've bought the league game forward to the 2nd April. City would want to do something similar.

Happy if City want to do the same to be honest, that takes away their one free week and the chance for recovery ahead of CL quarters, esp coming after the intl break.

We could do with Swansea taking them to extra time and pens too!

For ourselves, let's just get through each week, will take another draw on Wed, as long as its 1-1 😁
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #8020 on: March 11, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »
Happy if City want to do the same to be honest, that takes away their one free week and the chance for recovery ahead of CL quarters, esp coming after the intl break.

We could do with Swansea taking them to extra time and pens too!

For ourselves, let's just get through each week, will take another draw on Wed, as long as its 1-1 😁

Or 2-2, 3-3, 4-4 etc.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8021 on: March 11, 2019, 08:49:12 pm »
Been so obsessed with the title, but the champs league is wide open with Real Madrid and PSG out.

If we beat Bayern I don’t know what to prioritise. A real shot at making history, just need everyone in red to go out there and grab it

The double, The double, we want the double!   :champ :scarf :champ :scarf :scarf :wave

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #8022 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:50 pm »
The double, The double, we want the double!   :champ :scarf :champ :scarf :scarf :wave

exactly, i want to win both

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8023 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:53 pm »
I hate the fact we still have Chelsea to play, they seem to have something over us for some reason
Did I read a stat earlier, could be wrong, in the prem we have only beaten them twice from 16 games

Who gives a shit about the past. Until this year we never had as many points after 30 games... ever.

Was Klopp the manager for all of those games? Was Van Dyjk the rock in our defence? Was Allison in goal? Did we have Mo, Sadio and Bobby up front? Did we have two of the best young full backs in Europe putting in fantastic balls form the wings? Did we have Hendo, Gini, Milner, Keita, Shaqiri, Fabinho to choose from and plyuaers coming back from injury like Gomez and Oxlade-Chamberlain?...

Fuck history.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8024 on: March 11, 2019, 11:36:22 pm »
Been so obsessed with the title, but the champs league is wide open with Real Madrid and PSG out.

If we beat Bayern I don’t know what to prioritise. A real shot at making history, just need everyone in red to go out there and grab it

lol at PSG  ever winning it, they're the Spurs of Europe
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8025 on: March 11, 2019, 11:44:25 pm »
Who gives a shit about the past. Until this year we never had as many points after 30 games... ever.

Was Klopp the manager for all of those games? Was Van Dyjk the rock in our defence? Was Allison in goal? Did we have Mo, Sadio and Bobby up front? Did we have two of the best young full backs in Europe putting in fantastic balls form the wings? Did we have Hendo, Gini, Milner, Keita, Shaqiri, Fabinho to choose from and plyuaers coming back from injury like Gomez and Oxlade-Chamberlain?...

Too right Alan.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8026 on: March 12, 2019, 12:10:21 am »
Don't know about you all but it was doing my head in trying to keep track of the fixtures / dates / games v points etc. So I made this. Let me know anything that needs to be fixed otherwise I'll keep it updated through the end of the season. Cheers!

If there's an easy way to embed this as an image (its made in Drive) let me know!

This is fantastic, very aesthetically pleasing.

Personally think that while I would hate to see City win the UCL - softened only by us winning the BPL - their progress to the semis can potentially benefit us if Pep starts resting players. 

Online Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8027 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:12 am »

Fuck history.

Well said Alan 👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8028 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:39 am »
Who gives a shit about the past
Fuck history.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8029 on: March 12, 2019, 01:48:31 am »

Fuck history.

What about 18 and 5?  :D

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8030 on: March 12, 2019, 03:10:22 am »

Fuck history.

Who gives a shit about the past.
Fuck history.

Fuck history.

Fuck.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #8031 on: March 12, 2019, 04:42:23 am »

Alan's right. Those numbers hold as much relevance to the title race as the number of people in Britain that eat marmalade on toast of a morning.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #8032 on: March 12, 2019, 05:23:12 am »

What about them? United have 20 league titles and Real Madrid have 13 European Cups.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #8033 on: March 12, 2019, 07:07:50 am »
Until this year we never had as many points after 30 games... ever.

Who gives a shit about the past.

"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8034 on: March 12, 2019, 08:07:59 am »
The only place I see City dropping points is Manu. So I think we need to win our remaining games. I don't see City dropping points in two fixtures.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8035 on: March 12, 2019, 08:16:41 am »
The only place I see City dropping points is Manu. So I think we need to win our remaining games. I don't see City dropping points in two fixtures.

Anything could happen if there's a level playing field and the officials don't intervene if things aren't going well for City.
Taking each game in isolation, they're capable of winning every one of them.
Looking at them on paper doesn't account for injuries, fatigue, complacency, pressure or anything else.
I still think there's another twist to come. I just hope there isn't a turn after it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8036 on: March 12, 2019, 08:24:00 am »

They lost to Newcastle.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8037 on: March 12, 2019, 08:26:21 am »
They lost to Newcastle.

A month ago. They are currently on a run of 17 wins in 18 games. Unsustainable? Maybe.

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8038 on: March 12, 2019, 08:47:58 am »
They were 12 from 13 when the lost to Newcastle.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #8039 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:46 am »
If someone offered you a guaranteed 6 wins and 2 draws from the last 8 games would you take it?

Would mean we ended up on 93 points. Would that be enough? City would need to drop 6 points in the remaining 8 games (assuming their GD stayed better).

If not 93 points what do people think the points threshold we need to reach is to stand a better than 50:50 chance of winning the league.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if 93 points wins the league. I think 95 would definitely do it (7 wins and a draw). Though getting to 93-95 points is so much easier said than done.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.