Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1086666 times)

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #11720 on: April 18, 2024, 10:06:13 pm »
Not many times I look at us and think Klopp has got it all wrong on the pitch.

Let's enjoy his last 6 games and make a party of it.

Online AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #11721 on: April 18, 2024, 10:06:31 pm »
Overplaying and Overthinking everything at the moment. We are so soow and so bad at getting the ball out from the back. I get that we want to keep possession but we are basically running down the clock every game when it takes us so many passes to get out of our own half and even then half the time they eventually go long. Most teams are targeting this very successfully at the moment. We need to be getting out far quicker if we want to create more. For the amount of possession we have, its annoying how much of it is spent getting out and how many errors doing that has cost us in the last 5-6 games. If we are struggling with that, we need to change it. When Kelleher was going long, we were doing just fine. Lets go back to that until teams start allowing us the space to play out.

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #11722 on: April 18, 2024, 10:08:07 pm »
Gone stale last few weeks 🙁

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #11723 on: April 18, 2024, 10:08:45 pm »
I wouldn't mind if the tactic was to at least stay in the game and then up the ante last 20 minutes or whatever, but we were just out of ideas.

Honestly the worst thing is that we didn't even try to go all in. Penalty and it was all we could do.

Apart from the system, you can deal with man marking with dribbling or/and pace. But today even if we managed to dribble our way through there wasn't any pace or clue what to do next.

Just I don't know how we got here.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11724 on: April 18, 2024, 10:09:41 pm »
In our peak, our players were younger, stronger and had more energy. Also, they could press really well.
This side has evolved, but a lot of players look like Gini looked towards the end of his time. Out of energy, goosed by the age of 30.

Mac, Jones and Szobo have an average age of 24.

Robbo had the most energy of the team.

We just look mentally done, they've checked out.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11725 on: April 18, 2024, 10:09:55 pm »
It feels like the 22/23 season, but in a more condensed play over 10 games at the back end of this season.
Going to be super difficult to turn this around for the remaining 6 games.
At this point we need to make sure of 4th place first of all.
We’ve witnessed January / February 21 when we lost a number on the spin.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11726 on: April 18, 2024, 10:10:56 pm »
Mac, Jones and Szobo have an average age of 24.

Robbo had the most energy of the team.

We just look mentally done, they've checked out.

If we don’t win on Sunday, I can see the team fully checking out.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #11727 on: April 18, 2024, 10:13:51 pm »
If we don’t win on Sunday, I can see the team fully checking out.

Yeah, I got laughed at on one of the pages when I said after the palace game that we’re gonna be fighting to keep hold of a CL place

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11728 on: April 18, 2024, 10:15:01 pm »
Yeah, I got laughed at on one of the pages when I said after the palace game that we’re gonna be fighting to keep hold of a CL place

Rightly so to be fair, we could probably lose every game and still get in.

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #11729 on: April 18, 2024, 10:15:54 pm »
Never disagreed with Klopp's tactics more than today. Completely baffled by the second half approach. Feel like I must be missing something. How, after last week, could Klopp and Lijnders' plan be to end the game trying to build up through Gomez in central midfield? We couldn't play through them for 180 minutes and seemingly never even considered a plan B.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11730 on: April 18, 2024, 10:17:36 pm »

Well some people think we will lose every game, or it's a distinct possibility at least.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #11731 on: April 18, 2024, 10:18:10 pm »
Cmon
In all these games in our "bad run" we have created enough to score and win ....we're not suddenly shit.

Confidence is low and its making things look worse. But this team has a lot of character even if it's in a funk at the worst time of the season.  There's no lack of trying out there and I don't see players "checking out", just looking for a spark and unfortunately right now it's not there.

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11732 on: April 18, 2024, 10:18:56 pm »
Cmon
In all these games in our "bad run" we have created enough to score and win ....we're not suddenly shit.

Confidence is low and its making things look worse. But this team has a lot of character even if it's in a funk at the worst time of the season.  There's no lack of trying out there and I don't see players "checking out", just looking for a spark and unfortunately right now it's not there.

People think if we lose Sunday (which they think we probably will) the team will check out and not win again

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11733 on: April 18, 2024, 10:20:27 pm »
People think if we lose Sunday (which they think we probably will) the team will check out and not win again

Not going to happen is it nailed on to finish top 3.

Thank the lord for Van Djik winner at Wembley at least we have a trophy and that is a plus for me even if people scoff at it.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11734 on: April 18, 2024, 10:22:37 pm »
There is something weird about us when we hit a run of bad form. The wheels seem to come off pretty quickly and it never ends up being just a bit of a wobble. Maybe it's physicial and mental exhaustion, and our system's reliance on energy. We've gone back to looking like how we did last year.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11735 on: April 18, 2024, 10:23:45 pm »
We're terrible when we pass the ball across the back. It's ike we've run out of ideas and resosrt to 80's style long ball football.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11736 on: April 18, 2024, 10:34:14 pm »

Why do you keep saying “people say”. Do you think we’ll lose them all?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11737 on: April 18, 2024, 10:35:43 pm »
Why do you keep saying “people say”. Do you think we’ll lose them all?

No I don't. But a fair few of our fans do, and I think that's a sad indictment of our fanbase

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11738 on: April 18, 2024, 10:54:25 pm »
Genuinely believe if he wasn’t already leaving there would be some asking for his head.. Almost get the Arsene Wenger hanging around for too long vibes right now. A real shame to be honest and this is from Rawk, shudder to think what’s on the other shitty platforms right now
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11739 on: April 18, 2024, 11:20:39 pm »
Genuinely believe if he wasn’t already leaving there would be some asking for his head.. Almost get the Arsene Wenger hanging around for too long vibes right now. A real shame to be honest and this is from Rawk, shudder to think what’s on the other shitty platforms right now
I think if he wasn't leaving there would be an acceptance that this was supposed to be a transition season and we were punching higher than our weight. However, looking back at the last couple of weeks, it's hard to not think about what Klopp said when he announced his departure - that he was getting burnt out and doesn't have the energy for it more. I think when you consider everything with that added context his decision becomes more understandable. Another disappointing end to a season where you have to 'go again' - it's exhausting for fans, so imagine how the manager must feel.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11740 on: April 18, 2024, 11:20:53 pm »

It’s fucking madness. It’s been two weeks of bad results. People are now going back to say things have been poor all season. So knee jerk it’s untrue. We’re all upset with how it looks like the season will end but the disrespect he’s getting is really doing my head in.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11741 on: April 18, 2024, 11:30:51 pm »
Said this in the HT thread and oh my, the second half was even more brutal.

Alisson made 94 passes (highest in the team) is all you need to know. Klopp is many things but beating a press with passing is not one of his.

Thoroughly outplayed and outcoached by Atalanta.

You’re so right about this. It’s been an issue for basically all Klopp’s time. We’ve mostly coped fine and found ways around it but right now it’s really bad. It’s a systemic flaw (although it may well be the flip side of a strength)

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11742 on: April 18, 2024, 11:34:51 pm »
It’s fucking madness. It’s been two weeks of bad results. People are now going back to say things have been poor all season. So knee jerk it’s untrue. We’re all upset with how it looks like the season will end but the disrespect he’s getting is really doing my head in.

Yep. Some unbelievably ungrateful and disloyal stuff being spouted in here tonight in particular.

Some people's immediate reaction to adversity seems to be to blame the manager who has given us years of success and want him out. Thank god he didn't foster that kind of weak mentality at the club, or we'd have never won a thing.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #11743 on: April 19, 2024, 07:48:27 am »
The template isn't working because we look absolutely shot! Chasing the quad has again come back to haunt us

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11744 on: April 19, 2024, 08:00:32 am »
The template isn't working because we look absolutely shot! Chasing the quad has again come back to haunt us

Tend to agree.

We always looked much better closing out a season when we didn't give a shit about the Carabao and the FA cups.

Any stats whiz can back this up?
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11745 on: April 19, 2024, 08:02:00 am »

Dont want to make this a specific Klopp thing but playing strong teams in dead rubber Europa matches doesnt help.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11746 on: April 19, 2024, 08:03:32 am »
our best performances was with bradley playing wide
playing with no width with trent does not really work

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11747 on: April 19, 2024, 08:16:33 am »

Not sure any of our players has really played that many minutes though. If they are knackered it might be an s&c issue not an overplaying issue.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #11748 on: April 19, 2024, 08:30:20 am »
Tend to agree.

We always looked much better closing out a season when we didn't give a shit about the Carabao and the FA cups.

Stats wise this is all I can find
https://x.com/simonbrundish/status/1779763041908764701?s=46&t=uDnTZJgmP4ODkXVe1mAzUQ

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11749 on: April 19, 2024, 12:44:41 pm »
Tend to agree.

We might have chased the quad but we had much weakened teams out in 2 of the 4 Fa Cup games. And if we went out before we'd have  played Everton the weekend of the United game, so the Fa Cup hasn't been that taxing up to now.

Europa League we had heavily rotated teams over the 6 group games and the Prague tie was won in the first leg. Could and should have rested more in the second leg but we didn't get out of first gear that night.

League Cup it would have been beneficial to have had an extra few free midweeks.

We just haven't managed games well enough in the league and have to go flat out every week. It caught up with us in 13/14 and we had no other distractions then.

It's also the injuries have killed us. And it seems to take an ice age for players to get their level back when they come back from an injury.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:50:17 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #11750 on: April 19, 2024, 12:53:32 pm »
Yeah, and only the Atalanta games were really terrible in terms of the football played.
We had almost xG 3 against Palace. That was nothing at all like this.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #11751 on: April 19, 2024, 12:54:50 pm »
Really not sure its the rocket science some think.

We've had a shitload of injuries and so have had to maybe overplay a number of players, who are now pretty knackered and we're trying to re-integrate some of our better players back into that....which is then going to lead to what we're seeing right now. I dare say if we had another ten games we'd end up getting back into really good form, its just horrible luck with injuries which have ended up catching up to us at the wrong time.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11752 on: April 19, 2024, 12:59:23 pm »

Yep

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11753 on: April 19, 2024, 01:32:40 pm »
Not sure any of our players has really played that many minutes though. If they are knackered it might be an s&c issue not an overplaying issue.

Yeah this is the only bit that doesn't really bear out to me - we look absolutely fucked, but most of our players have played a lot less than their counterparts at City and Arsenal for example. Both of those teams have obviously also bombed out of Europe and Arsenal obviously had a bad week, but I don't think either of them look as tired as we do right now (City were playing supremely intensely against Madrid up until about half way through extra time, for example).

Only 3 of our players have played more than 3000 minutes this season so I think we can forgive Diaz, VVD and Macca for looking tired (plus Gomez, who's only just shy of that total). But the rest leaves some pretty big question marks. The next block are Nunez and Salah, who've played about 2700-2800 minutes. Some of Arsenal's players are pushing 4000 and they have 8 on over 3000 minutes, City have 9.

I figured the new boys must be playing a lot more football than they're used to, but with 6 games to go, Macca has actually played around 200 minutes less football this season than he did last season (albeit maybe at a higher intensity?). Dom, if he plays every minute of every remaining match will have played less, and RBL play intense high pressing football last I checked. Endo has played 35% less football this season than he did last season.

I don't think any of the players bar maybe Robbo have come back from injuries particularly well, but I don't know why we look as tired as we do. Lots of comparisons to the 21/22 season, but we played a LOT more football that year. Assuming players play every minute of every available remaining game, only VVD will break the 4000 minute barrier, and Diaz would hit a maximum of around 3700 minutes - that would put him about joint 8th on minutes played from our 21/22 bunch, more or less level with Matip. 41 games worth is a lot, but it's not a stupid amount - it's basically the equivalent of a full PL season + 3 cup games. Of course this doesn't factor in internationals which don't help, but aren't a new concept.

I don't think our conditioning has looked great at all this season really, and it's a fairly legitimate argument that our style puts additional strain on the players.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11754 on: April 19, 2024, 01:35:19 pm »
Yeah this is the only bit that doesn't really bear out to me - we look absolutely fucked, but most of our players have played a lot less than their counterparts at City and Arsenal for example. Both of those teams have obviously also bombed out of Europe and Arsenal obviously had a bad week, but I don't think either of them look as tired as we do right now (City were playing supremely intensely against Madrid up until about half way through extra time, for example).

Only 3 of our players have played more than 3000 minutes this season so I think we can forgive Diaz, VVD and Macca for looking tired (plus Gomez, who's only just shy of that total). But the rest leaves some pretty big question marks. The next block are Nunez and Salah, who've played about 2700-2800 minutes. Some of Arsenal's players are pushing 4000 and they have 8 on over 3000 minutes, City have 9.

I figured the new boys must be playing a lot more football than they're used to, but with 6 games to go, Macca has actually played around 200 minutes less football this season than he did last season (albeit maybe at a higher intensity?). Dom, if he plays every minute of every remaining match will have played less, and RBL play intense high pressing football last I checked. Endo has played 35% less football this season than he did last season.

I don't think any of the players bar maybe Robbo have come back from injuries particularly well, but I don't know why we look as tired as we do. Lots of comparisons to the 21/22 season, but we played a LOT more football that year. Assuming players play every minute of every available remaining game, only VVD will break the 4000 minute barrier, and Diaz would hit a maximum of around 3700 minutes - that would put him about joint 8th on minutes played from our 21/22 bunch, more or less level with Matip. 41 games worth is a lot, but it's not a stupid amount - it's basically the equivalent of a full PL season + 3 cup games. Of course this doesn't factor in internationals which don't help, but aren't a new concept.

I don't think our conditioning has looked great at all this season really, and it's a fairly legitimate argument that our style puts additional strain on the players.

I find that hard to believe considering Arsenal were knocked out of the Cup early. We went quite far in both Cup competitions as well as suffered more injuries than either City or Arsenal.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11755 on: April 19, 2024, 01:47:04 pm »
I find that hard to believe considering Arsenal were knocked out of the Cup early. We went quite far in both Cup competitions as well as suffered more injuries than either City or Arsenal.

You can look at the numbers if you like. Each team's top 10 most featured players:

Saliba 3962, Gabriel 3822, Rice 3734, White 3565, Odegaard 3514, Saka 3435, Havertz 3304, Raya 3180, Martinelli 2454, Zinchenko 2031 - AVERAGE 3,300

Foden 3680, Rodri 3618, Dias 3503, Walker 3396, Ederson 3334, Haaland 3283, Akanji 3206, Alvarez 3162, Silva 3099, Gvrdiol 1849 - AVERAGE 3,213

Virgil 3532, Diaz 3148, Mcca 3069, Gomez, 2988, Nunez 2860, Salah 2743, Dom 2604, Gakpo 2594, Konate 2524, Kelleher 2400 - AVERAGE 2,846

Caveat: club football only.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11756 on: April 19, 2024, 01:57:30 pm »
You can look at the numbers if you like. Each team's top 10 most featured players:

Saliba 3962, Gabriel 3822, Rice 3734, White 3565, Odegaard 3514, Saka 3435, Havertz 3304, Raya 3180, Martinelli 2454, Zinchenko 2031 - AVERAGE 3,300

Foden 3680, Rodri 3618, Dias 3503, Walker 3396, Ederson 3334, Haaland 3283, Akanji 3206, Alvarez 3162, Silva 3099, Gvrdiol 1849 - AVERAGE 3,213

Virgil 3532, Diaz 3148, Mcca 3069, Gomez, 2988, Nunez 2860, Salah 2743, Dom 2604, Gakpo 2594, Konate 2524, Kelleher 2400 - AVERAGE 2,846

Caveat: club football only.

I mentioned this before, there is a huge difference in energy levels of a team who continually have to score 2 goals to win a game because they've conceeded themselves early. Having the most goals score in the 75th + minute and most points won from a losing position looks great and woohoo mentality monsters but the toll it must take out of you physically and mentally to keep going to the wall full pelt for 90mins can't be sustainable.

Cheaty and maybe Arsenal play with control and the ball, get ahead and stay ahead, then manage the game out. You expend more energy pressing and chasing goals than you do managing a game to death.

Offline Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11757 on: April 19, 2024, 02:33:36 pm »
I mentioned this before, there is a huge difference in energy levels of a team who continually have to score 2 goals to win a game because they've conceeded themselves early. Having the most goals score in the 75th + minute and most points won from a losing position looks great and woohoo mentality monsters but the toll it must take out of you physically and mentally to keep going to the wall full pelt for 90mins can't be sustainable.

Cheaty and maybe Arsenal play with control and the ball, get ahead and stay ahead, then manage the game out. You expend more energy pressing and chasing goals than you do managing a game to death.

It's the old resting with the ball adage isn't it. How many games have we been comfortably winning and able to calmly pass the ball about amongst ourselves and patiently wait for openings compared to Arsenal/City? It's something we did very well in our title winning season - score early, decisive goals in the knowledge that we rarely conceded, and just control the remainder of games without having to over-exert yourselves.

I do still think our conditioning doesn't seem right though, in addition to that. Our ability to keep players fit has been horrible for a while.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11758 on: April 19, 2024, 02:38:35 pm »
It's the old resting with the ball adage isn't it. How many games have we been comfortably winning and able to calmly pass the ball about amongst ourselves and patiently wait for openings compared to Arsenal/City? It's something we did very well in our title winning season - score early, decisive goals in the knowledge that we rarely conceded, and just control the remainder of games without having to over-exert yourselves.

I do still think our conditioning doesn't seem right though, in addition to that. Our ability to keep players fit has been horrible for a while.

100% when we were our best and won the league and champions league we had evolved from the heavy metal gengenpressing from Klopps start here to a much more controlled and managed way of playing. I'd describe it as building up this wave after wave of sustained pressure, having a chance but then winning the ball back through a high line and counter press, starting again, moving the ball from side to side, probing and then just bang a chance and goal. We'd manage the game through control and up the intensity when we needed to, very much like controlled chaos, these days we are just chaos.

But the above was all built upon one of the best defences the league has seen, utterly dominat 1 v 1 defenders who we never seem to expose on the counter.

These days we appear to have a huge spaces inbetween our lines, we used to have Van Dijk and Matip camped on the halfway line with Fabinho roaming ahead of them gobbling up any out ball. It was glorious to watch.

Chaos isn't sustainable, see Nunez.

I'd imagine a full review is underway, the guy Klopp brought in for injury recovery is leaving etc.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11759 on: April 19, 2024, 02:40:04 pm »

Mona has had the lads on quorn. Could explain a few things 😁
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4