Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1087404 times)

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #11560 on: December 23, 2023, 07:27:00 pm »
I know this will get loads of pushback because the goals for column is still alright but we look absolutely fucking horrendous trying to create chances. What even is a Liverpool goal anymore, pray for a wonder goal? Not really sustainable.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #11561 on: December 23, 2023, 07:37:52 pm »
Right now we are effort, individualism and mentality.

In terms of the team work in the true sense of that word we are not there yet which makes sense considering all the changes in the summer.

We have massively overachieved this season imo but the foundations are there to be unplayable next season. The intensity is back and we are extremely hard to beat. Now it's time to put cherry on top and find a way to get better so we can beat these top teams again.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11562 on: December 23, 2023, 07:38:52 pm »
We're crying out for some pace in the attack, so many attacks broke down because we refused to go at their fullbacks, can't keep getting the ball, fucking about and passing it backwards.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #11563 on: December 23, 2023, 07:39:08 pm »
Very, very odd changes today. Went from being dominate to a scrappy, disjointed performance.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11564 on: December 23, 2023, 07:41:44 pm »
I know this will get loads of pushback because the goals for column is still alright but we look absolutely fucking horrendous trying to create chances. What even is a Liverpool goal anymore, pray for a wonder goal? Not really sustainable.

Wonder goal or a moment of magic from Salah/Trent (or a moment of infamy from the opposition).

The first was perfect as Trent got on the ball with time and space and Zinchenko was no man's land and backed up, allowing for a great ball over the top, isolating Salah one on one.  The missed chance was an almighty Arsenal fuck up that lead to the 5 vs. 1, and it was Salah's weighted pass for Trent.

Other than that, it's just difficult in these last two PL games (and going back to Palace when they had 11 on the pitch).  Even when we pressed up the pitch and won the ball back early in the second half, Salah's decision making and passing was really poor.  The others in attack contributed virtually nothing.  We can't seem to even take good touches around the box, let alone produce good combination play.

The entire attack going off the boil (bar the occasional Salah moment) is alarming to say the least.  Even as we control games, we don't have the right pass/shot in us at the moment.
King Kenny.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11565 on: December 23, 2023, 07:42:29 pm »

In terms of the team work in the true sense of that word we are not there yet which makes sense considering all the changes in the summer.

We have massively overachieved this season imo but the foundations are there to be unplayable next season. The intensity is back and we are extremely hard to beat. Now it's time to put cherry on top and find a way to get better so we can beat these top teams again.

I think the individualism and mentality part is spot on.

I think we've lost a spark in midfield with Szoboszlai and even Gravenberch whilst not ripping it up early doors looked promising and them two have completely fallen off with the ball

I just want to go "that's what a Liverpool goal looks like" and I just don't see that coming any time soon. There's no patterns, not even the odd one, I think that's why we are repeatedly shooting from range.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11566 on: December 23, 2023, 07:43:37 pm »
It's really hard to see what we are trying to do in the midfield or attack.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #11567 on: December 23, 2023, 07:45:51 pm »
I just want to go "that's what a Liverpool goal looks like" and I just don't see that coming any time soon. There's no patterns, not even the odd one, I think that's why we are repeatedly shooting from range.
Exactly, we're just not a real team, more like a group of 11 individuals.

Klopp needed a year or two to build that teamwork with his first team, unfortunately he's gonna need it again. Next season is probably the time for this group.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11568 on: December 23, 2023, 07:49:01 pm »
It's really hard to see what we are trying to do in the midfield or attack.

The midfield did well.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11569 on: December 23, 2023, 07:49:55 pm »
I think the individualism and mentality part is spot on.

I think we've lost a spark in midfield with Szoboszlai and even Gravenberch whilst not ripping it up early doors looked promising and them two have completely fallen off with the ball

Seems strange to complain given we won the game 5-1, but even in the West Ham game I was tearing my hair out early on with how many times we were shooting from range or the edge of the box - you’ll get the odd game like West Ham or Fulham where they all fly into the net, but more often than not it just wastes possession and good positions.

It’s like we can’t be arsed to be creative or clever in the final third, we lose patience almost immediately and either shoot of loft a shit ball in.

If there is a Liverpool identity or style of play, I’ve no idea what it is.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11570 on: December 23, 2023, 07:51:19 pm »
The midfield did well.
They don't link with the forwards though. I know we used to have Bobby for that but where are the combinations and the link ups that we used to see.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11571 on: December 23, 2023, 07:53:00 pm »
They don't link with the forwards though. I know we used to have Bobby for that but where are the combinations and the link ups that we used to see.

You do know we have practically a whole new midfield, right?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11572 on: December 23, 2023, 07:53:35 pm »
You do know we have practically a whole new midfield, right?
Yes.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11573 on: December 23, 2023, 07:53:42 pm »

The midfield was excellent what you on about, they dominated a midfield that has been talked about as the best in the league all season.

The replacements was the problem, and the attackers.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11574 on: December 23, 2023, 07:59:05 pm »

Really strange how average our attacking play is, its masked by individual qauilty so far.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #11575 on: December 23, 2023, 08:02:01 pm »
Very, very odd changes today. Went from being dominate to a scrappy, disjointed performance.
All three have been great off the bench in previous games though

Offline DHRED

• Main Stander
« Reply #11576 on: December 23, 2023, 08:03:29 pm »
We are just so disjointed and untidy in attack. Every time we get the ball forward I have no confidence we’ll retain it. Very disappointing.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #11577 on: December 23, 2023, 08:16:15 pm »
All three have been great off the bench in previous games though
Not sure Gravenberch has been great off the bench lately, but it wasn’t so much the individual changes, but putting Salah central that seemed to affect us. We went from him having Zinchecko on toast to being dominated by the Arsenal centre backs.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #11578 on: December 23, 2023, 08:22:17 pm »

Agree with this.
Everything right now is experience in the bank and we are getting away with it by City not being at their normal standard and Arsenal, well....not sure what to make of them.
But for a team at the stage of development we're at we are doing very well. Point off the top and even if City win their game in hand they'll still be 2 points behind.

Where we stand after AFCON will tell us more about what realistic goals should be. Its always a marker I have in mind the end of Jan...

Our front line needs to find synergy, as does our midfield...defence needs to not sustain any more injuries
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11579 on: December 23, 2023, 10:42:29 pm »
We look like a team still searching for its identity and a formation that suits which is understandable considering the midfield overhaul. I’m not convinced the 3 man midfield and the inverted full back system is the way to go, we looked better when we’ve been down to 10 men and when we’ve brought Trent into midfield in a double pivot.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11580 on: December 23, 2023, 10:44:22 pm »
We look like a team still searching for its identity and a formation that suits which is understandable considering the midfield overhaul. I’m not convinced the 3 man midfield and the inverted full back system is the way to go, we looked better when we’ve been down to 10 men and when we’ve brought Trent into midfield in a double pivot.

I actually think that this week the structure has been really good. We have counterpressed and controlled the games much better than any games this season against United, West Ham and Arsenal.

What is missing now is the ability at the top end of the field.

Online Markus_12

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #11581 on: December 23, 2023, 10:47:30 pm »
We haven’t quite clicked yet, but take a step back for a moment and look at the big picture and we’re further ahead then I thought we’d be at this point. We have a whole new midfield, still adjusting to a new system, and we’re right up there fighting for top spot.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11582 on: December 23, 2023, 10:56:14 pm »
We haven’t quite clicked yet, but take a step back for a moment and look at the big picture and we’re further ahead then I thought we’d be at this point. We have a whole new midfield, still adjusting to a new system, and we’re right up there fighting for top spot.

Yep, a league cup and/or the Europa would be a good start for the group to get into the trophy winning habit and for Jurgen to complete the trophy set.

Offline YNWA.A

• Main Stander
« Reply #11583 on: December 23, 2023, 11:47:47 pm »
Both Luis and Darwin not in form is a problem with Mo off, Jota being injured but hopefully returns soon, will help massively.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11584 on: December 24, 2023, 12:56:04 am »
How many meaningful saves have the Yernited and Arsenal keepers made over the last 200 minutes of football? Very few. We simply aren’t creating that many chances.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11585 on: December 24, 2023, 01:19:23 am »
LW is a big issue. There’s zero threat in that position at the moment. What was once one of our strongest position is now our weakest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11586 on: December 24, 2023, 01:36:00 am »

Great post and good to see someone looking at the bigger picture. Some need more perspective on where we are.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #11587 on: December 24, 2023, 02:43:36 am »
Subs were atrocious, just completely destroyed our momentum. We were struggling to create, but at least we had them on the back foot.

Y’know watching Arsenal just reaffirms my thinking. We are not a very good coached side when we have possession. We applied immense pressure against Arsenal, but the few moments they had control in the match, they just looked so much more competent than us. More rhythm in their passing, more technical ability, and just a hell lot more incisive.

We look like a well drilled unit when we defend, but not when we attack. That front 3 was criminal tonight. It needs new impetus.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #11588 on: December 24, 2023, 03:08:08 am »
I think Klopp has trained the squad to be really hard to beat while he beds in a new midfield. We have the best defense in the league along with Arsenal. Conceding less than a goal per game. It took the mentality monsters a few years to figure out how to be dominant in possession. This squad isn't there yet. Might need another season or two.

I've wanted Klopp to change our shape to generate more goals and better forward play this season, but I can't deny our defense is formidable again. I think our defending doesn't often look that good because it's chaotic, but we are very good over 90 minutes. I suspect Klopp won't make any changes to the midfield or forward line that disrupts our defending.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11589 on: December 24, 2023, 07:24:12 am »
Shooting on sight makes us look much worse in attack. Yes sometimes we’ll score a worldie, like Szoboslai’s midweek, but the number of times we pass up the opportunity to create a much higher value chance in favour of a shot from outside the book (and I’m not talking about right on the edge here like Gapko’s midweek) is crazy.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11590 on: December 24, 2023, 08:40:55 am »

Yeah, lke KH said, we look much better in recent games and our press and control of matches has been excellent in recent games. Up front has been where we've been struggling really despite the 5 against West Ham but that's less concerning. Things looking much better recently.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11591 on: December 24, 2023, 08:49:49 am »
Yeah, lke KH said, we look much better in recent games and our press and control of matches has been excellent in recent games. Up front has been where we've been struggling really despite the 5 against West Ham but that's less concerning. Things looking much better recently.

Losing Jota probably hurt us more than I thought, having two forwards fully up with our pressing and movements would have made a bigger difference I think and he always gets the first goal which starts our momentum build, he’s our most clinical forwards for sure.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11592 on: December 24, 2023, 08:55:43 am »
Losing Jota probably hurt us more than I thought, having two forwards fully up with our pressing and movements would have made a bigger difference I think and he always gets the first goal which starts our momentum build, he’s our most clinical forwards for sure.

That's true. Individually and collectively the forwards have been pretty poor in recent games (yesterday was one of Salah's worst games for us, apart from his brilliant goal) but I don't know, that seems far less of a concern for me than say, the Fulham game where there far too many gaps all over the pitch and they got through us very easily. Hopefully Jota's back soon, you're right, he does help us with our press and with Salah being away, he's going to be our most reliable finisher.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11593 on: December 24, 2023, 08:55:50 am »

And if good chances are at such a premium we'll start to snatch at them. We need Jota to get back in the goals quickly and on a run and Nunez has to start scoring. We lose Salah for a month which risks goals drying up completely.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11594 on: December 24, 2023, 08:57:57 am »

Our legs were starting to go before the changes though. Put so much into that first hour, as a result of chasing it after such a bad start. Arsenal were settling into it.

Subs didn't impact the game though but the likes of Mo and Dom were out on their feet.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11595 on: December 24, 2023, 08:59:55 am »
That's true. Individually and collectively the forwards have been pretty poor in recent games (yesterday was one of Salah's worst games for us, apart from his brilliant goal) but I don't know, that seems far less of a concern for me than say, the Fulham game where there far too many gaps all over the pitch and they got through us very easily. Hopefully Jota's back soon, you're right, he does help us with our press and with Salah being away, he's going to be our most reliable finisher.

Exactly we look like a football team, even inverting against Arsenal we looked solid, for all their huff and puff they were most threatening from set pieces. Trent was really good defensively, along with his always excellent passing etc.

I’ll Never worry about Klopp coaching attackers to score ;)

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11596 on: December 24, 2023, 09:02:02 am »
This reminds me of latter half of the 21 season where we could not buy a goal. We have so far masked it with wonder goals but this is surely headed for disaster.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #11597 on: December 24, 2023, 09:08:35 am »
Jurgen and the team deserve huge credit for being a point off top spot at Christmas, after rebuilding an entire midfield in the summer, and making changes to our tactical setup and patterns of play. We've also had long term injuries to key players, and been massively fucked over by the officials on several occasions now.

Still can't help but feel we could be 5 points clear of Arsenal (and 10 clear of City) if the Spurs/Arsenal games weren't officiated by biased, incompetent fuckwits with such inept use of VAR.

We are still ahead of schedule, in what could've been a difficult transition season with so many changes in the summer. Winning the title from here would be an incredible achievement, and considering our current position (and the context), I still think we have every chance:

> Often winning whilst not playing well
> Consistently gaining points from losing positions
> Integrating 4 new midfielders, who are still developing
> Tons of injuries, but still challenging
> Jones, Elliot and Gomez making great progress
> Virgil and Konate looking imperious
> Key players still to come back for the 2nd half of the season
> 2nd place in the league despite some of the worst referring decisions you'll ever see - costing us points in key moments
> City looking vulnerable, and no other team hitting top gear or pulling away
> We still have several levels we can improve

It's there for the taking this season, but we'll need several things to happen - including some luck, better officiating, our strikers to gel and score more, plus get Mac/Robbo/Jota/Thiago/Bajetic back asap to give us a deeper squad. Not conceding first will also help, plus we need to beat the bottom 10 teams home and away from here on in, and take more points off the rest of the title challengers.

Jurgen's Liverpool 2.0 is shaping up nicely, and a transition season could yet become something even better. 1 point off top spot, a League cup semi-final to come, and strong favourites for the Europa League. Plus we'll hopefully use the experience from yesterday to knock Arsenal out the FA Cup in a couple of weeks.

Most importantly - the desire, mentality and positive vibes are back, which Jurgen will maximise to their full potential. It's all looking good for a real push in all 4 competitions, and we'll hopefully be updating the Champions Wall again in May.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 09:10:14 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #11598 on: December 24, 2023, 09:11:02 am »
It's still not clear what we're trying to achieve.  We set up to play like a possession team but aren't coached to play possession football, and our set of forwards don't compliment each other or gel particularly well.

We have quality all over the pitch, which is why we'll always get results and why we're right up there, but it really feels like there's no clear plan.

Don't expect much activity in January, maybe a defender, but a serious rethink is needed in the summer.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #11599 on: December 24, 2023, 09:38:14 am »
Just looking at the premier league top scorers so far this season and there isn't really one team that have a good spread of goals across the attack maybe bar Newcastle - where wilson, isak and gordon have a similar amount of goals between them (about 7 each I think). Haaland is top scorer (14) with Salah 2nd (12).

There are a few players on 11 goals - Jarrod Bowen, Son and Solanke. Klopp as we know is an admirer of Bowen.

I would say Nunez should definitely have scored more than 4 goals based on missed opportunities but at least he is/was getting chances. Can't really say the same for Gakpo or Diaz.

Arsenal top scorer is Eddie Nketiah with 6 goals (he is 17th in the top scorer list). So I would say across the board no one team is performing across the whole attack.

My thoughts are if you put Son in our team we would win the league this season. I like Bowen when I have seen him but not sure if he is a glorified Danny ings type player. Beyond that as there are no real standouts in the league currently.

Diaz should be trying to hit 10 goals a season. Nunez 15-20. Gakpo - really don't know - no idea what he was getting before he came to us. Jota should be double figures as well. Don't think they are outrageous numbers and would probably win the league based on how everyone else is doing.
alf a pound of braeburns!