Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12342105 times)

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #100720 on: September 4, 2019, 08:55:00 pm »
They were after Craig Roddan at one point

Yep. Not forgetting when they poached Jack Robinson!

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #100721 on: September 4, 2019, 09:18:22 pm »
Yep. Not forgetting when they poached Jack Robinson!
Isn't Jay Spearing still playing for them?

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #100722 on: September 4, 2019, 09:23:08 pm »
I thought he'd have been away too. Seems a bit odd to me to keep him around given the number of senior CMs at the club; at his age I'd have thought it would make far more sense for his development to be playing regular footy. Still, maybe the thinking is that he could get a shot at some point if Milner and/or Hendo have to cover fullback and some of our midfielders seem prone to the odd knock or seven too, so I suppose it's not completely outside the realms of possibility that he makes an appearance. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him never even make the bench though, which would be a shame.

Wouldn't it be more likely that Herbie would come in fullback for us than midfield if needed or called upon? Saw a bit of his highlights and read the article on him above, and it seems like he's the attributes to do a job there. Whether he can match our level is ofc another matter.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100723 on: September 4, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »
Never really seen a great deal of Kane but in the few games I did see him and all the highlights I saw he seemed a very influential player, seemed to know how to make things happen and if he wasn't scoring he was creating a good deal of chances

I do wonder how he is viewed at the club as he's always come across as talented but you don't hear him mentioned a great deal. Seemed to impress on loan

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100724 on: September 5, 2019, 12:25:40 pm »
If the Doncaster Herald is to be believed then we were never looking to loan Kane out.

But Liverpool immediately informed Rovers they would not be making Kane available for loan this season and were keen for the midfielder to continue his development in their ranks.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-did-try-to-bring-back-herbie-kane-this-summer-493767

Maybe Klopp thinks him training with the first team and getting half a dozen cup appearances is more beneficial than playing 40 games elsewhere.

It's odd it's not featured for the Under 23s though as they could desperately use him!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100725 on: September 5, 2019, 03:53:31 pm »
The most suprising thing for me is him not being included in pre-season, especially early on before some senior players returned

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100726 on: September 6, 2019, 02:01:58 am »
Never really seen a great deal of Kane but in the few games I did see him and all the highlights I saw he seemed a very influential player, seemed to know how to make things happen and if he wasn't scoring he was creating a good deal of chances

I do wonder how he is viewed at the club as he's always come across as talented but you don't hear him mentioned a great deal. Seemed to impress on loan

I understand the club have a lot of thyme for him
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100727 on: September 6, 2019, 06:24:28 am »
I understand the club have a lot of thyme for him

That is indeed a sage saying, which Kane should gingerly adopt.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100728 on: September 6, 2019, 08:39:38 pm »
Brewster got 10 mins of running around the the U21s this evening.  They were already 2-1 up by that point.  Still it’s all minutes

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #100729 on: September 6, 2019, 08:48:34 pm »
Haven't really had time to comment on the whole Duncan-story.

I was a bit sad to see him leave as I was interested to see how he'd continue his development but clearly how he sees himself is far from how the club see him. Not sure what really caused this, I can't really believe that he decided to leave based on him to being in the first team already, cause that would just be crazy and a bit delusional. I'm thinking he wasn't even promised a spot for the U23's? He's not better than Jones, Brewster or Elliott. And before Glatzel was injured he was far superior to Duncan as well. Could this be the case? That he couldn't even see himself getting minutes for the U23's?

Anyway, how he and his clown of an agent handled all this just shows he isn't a loss for us, and despite being a prolific goalscorer at youth level he didn't really impress me on the field either.

Offline Tuco Ramírez

• Main Stander
« Reply #100730 on: September 6, 2019, 09:56:55 pm »
 The problem for Duncan is he didn't seem like a natural fit for the system we play, he doesn't have the pace to play wide and without serious development of his allover game, he didn't look to have much of a path to our first team anytime soon.

If it wasn't for his injury, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Glatzel  make the bench in one of the cup competitions, this season.

Online Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #100731 on: September 7, 2019, 04:14:21 pm »
Layton Stewart had two assists in England U18s 3-2 win against Australia last night. He missed a good chance in the first half and was pretty quiet in general but it wasn't a great performance from the whole team to be fair. Loads of scouts from Germany and Holland at the game, I also spotted Harry Kewell knocking about.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #100732 on: September 7, 2019, 07:12:02 pm »
Not sure how I missed this but .. Hoever not named in champ league squad and can’t play in it ??
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #100733 on: September 7, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
Not sure how I missed this but .. Hoever not named in champ league squad and can’t play in it ??

He could be added in January potentially. Only so many places on the A list, and he doesn't qualify for the B list until next season. Van Den Berg chosen ahead. The two are (pretty much exactly) the same age, but Sepp is also representing the Netherlands at a higher youth level at the moment, so perhaps is seen as a bit further ahead for now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100734 on: September 9, 2019, 10:11:33 pm »
Spotted Adam Lewis, Tony Gallagher, Luis Longstaff, Herbie Kane, Pedro Chirivella, Tom Clayton, Elijah D-Bonner and Leighton Clarkson training with the firsts in the video today.  Larouci too, but then he seems to with the them for most of the season gIven he is listed on the 1st team squad page.  I know they are making up the numbers while players are away but still probably better than being at Kirby. 

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100735 on: September 9, 2019, 11:00:43 pm »
Spotted Adam Lewis, Tony Gallagher, Luis Longstaff, Herbie Kane, Pedro Chirivella, Tom Clayton, Elijah D-Bonner and Leighton Clarkson training with the firsts in the video today.  Larouci too, but then he seems to with the them for most of the season gIven he is listed on the 1st team squad page.  I know they are making up the numbers while players are away but still probably better than being at Kirby.

They'll be up against the likes of Adrian, Matip, Milner, Lallana, Mane and Salah. So a good challenge for some of those boys.

Good to see Kane there. Hopefully he'll stay with the firsts and get games with the U23s. Hasn't been doing either so far this season. Hopefully it was just down to an injury.

I haven't spotted Larouci in the training photos since the season started but hopefully that's where he is and he gets a start in the League Cup.

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100736 on: September 9, 2019, 11:02:01 pm »
By the way, where did you view the training video?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100737 on: September 10, 2019, 07:38:11 am »
By the way, where did you view the training video?
On the official lfc website

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100738 on: September 10, 2019, 08:47:55 am »
On the official lfc website

Think he's talking about for free.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #100739 on: September 10, 2019, 04:18:37 pm »
Harvey Elliott won and scored a penalty for the England u17s

https://streamja.com/oOeL

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100740 on: September 10, 2019, 04:44:01 pm »
Live here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEEE4qFhSlc

Norris also starting. Quansah on the bench. Elliott has been prtty sloppy since the pen. Norris has looked good, should have had an assist but the player hit straight at the keeper when 1vs1. England playing some good stuff but the pitch doesn't look great. Ball bouncing up everywhere

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #100741 on: September 10, 2019, 08:00:33 pm »
Norris has looked very good in the u18 games he’s played this season so far as well. Really like the look of him as a fullback.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #100742 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:54 pm »
Kellegher played 90 minutes for us tonight, won 3-1 too.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100743 on: September 11, 2019, 12:41:25 am »
Kellegher played 90 minutes for us tonight, won 3-1 too.

Is that the senior team? Was it a competitive match?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100744 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:56 pm »
Is that the senior team? Was it a competitive match?

Sarge was referring to Ireland U21s in a euro qualifier match v Sweden

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100745 on: September 11, 2019, 03:07:54 pm »
Sarge was referring to Ireland U21s in a euro qualifier match v Sweden

Ta mate. At least it was a competitive match

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100746 on: September 11, 2019, 05:22:07 pm »
Excellent news.

16m ago

Paul Glatzel signs new long-term LFC contract

James Carroll@James_Carroll84

Paul Glatzel has today signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The 18-year-old striker put pen to paper on the deal at Melwood on Wednesday as he continues his rehabilitation from a long-term knee issue sustained during the Reds’ pre-season friendly at Tranmere Rovers on July 11.
Upon  penning the new terms, the forward told Liverpoolfc.com: “It's a great feeling obviously.
"I was disappointed to get my injury at the start of the season, but it's a great feeling and it shows that the club has got faith in me. Now I can just focus on my rehab and get back on the pitch. 
"I've been at the club for so long and I just want to keep going and see where it takes me. Hopefully I can crack on now and keep going. The contract makes it easier. 
"Mentally, it's good to be able to focus on the rehab and know that there's people that have faith in me and they know I'll come back from my injury stronger and I'll be ready when I'm back on the pitch." 
After firing 28 goals for the club’s U18s during 2018-19, Glatzel was involved with Jürgen Klopp’s first-team squad at Melwood this summer prior to the injury.
His form last season helped Liverpool clinch the FA Youth Cup, with the striker claiming the title of the tournament’s top scorer with eight goals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #100747 on: September 11, 2019, 06:53:14 pm »
Excellent news.

16m ago

Paul Glatzel signs new long-term LFC contract

James Carroll@James_Carroll84

Paul Glatzel has today signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The 18-year-old striker put pen to paper on the deal at Melwood on Wednesday as he continues his rehabilitation from a long-term knee issue sustained during the Reds’ pre-season friendly at Tranmere Rovers on July 11.
Upon  penning the new terms, the forward told Liverpoolfc.com: “It's a great feeling obviously.
"I was disappointed to get my injury at the start of the season, but it's a great feeling and it shows that the club has got faith in me. Now I can just focus on my rehab and get back on the pitch.
"I've been at the club for so long and I just want to keep going and see where it takes me. Hopefully I can crack on now and keep going. The contract makes it easier.
"Mentally, it's good to be able to focus on the rehab and know that there's people that have faith in me and they know I'll come back from my injury stronger and I'll be ready when I'm back on the pitch."
After firing 28 goals for the club’s U18s during 2018-19, Glatzel was involved with Jürgen Klopp’s first-team squad at Melwood this summer prior to the injury.
His form last season helped Liverpool clinch the FA Youth Cup, with the striker claiming the title of the tournament’s top scorer with eight goals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Made up for the lad, he deserves it. I believe Klopp likes him a lot, maybe he thinks he could be our next Bobby in 3/4 years time...and I emphasise could! He seems very intelligent lad, he adores the boss and would probably run through brick walls for his fellow German.

This deal makes me wonder whether Booby D got wind of it and went ballistic....a natural response from a headstrong 18 year old...and said 'fuck it, I'm off', as he hadn't been offered one and realised he was behind Paul and Rhian in the young bucks coming through category. He's rehabbing at Melwood too. Paul's basically first team in waiting. Same deal with Rhian last season.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100748 on: September 11, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
Made up for the lad, he deserves it. I believe Klopp likes him a lot, maybe he thinks he could be our next Bobby in 3/4 years time...and I emphasise could! He seems very intelligent lad, he adores the boss and would probably run through brick walls for his fellow German.

This deal makes me wonder whether Booby D got wind of it and went ballistic....a natural response from a headstrong 18 year old...and said 'fuck it, I'm off', as he hadn't been offered one and realised he was behind Paul and Rhian in the young bucks coming through category. He's rehabbing at Melwood too. Paul's basically first team in waiting. Same deal with Rhian last season.
I've definitely enjoyed watching him more than Bobby D.  Far more dynamic and has an overall better game.

With the amount of fanfare and anticipation there was at getting Bobby off city I was a bit disappointed with him.  Sure he scored a lot of goals but there wasnt much else.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100749 on: September 12, 2019, 05:12:26 am »
Glatzel seems to have a very mature game at such a young age- has the overall package. I have high hopes for him and hopefully he will get on the bench in the cup competitions.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #100750 on: September 12, 2019, 07:05:25 am »
Glatzel seems to have a very mature game at such a young age- has the overall package. I have high hopes for him and hopefully he will get on the bench in the cup competitions.

I hope not, he's recovering from an ACL reconstruction

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #100751 on: September 12, 2019, 07:28:46 am »
Haven`t followed this thread in a while. Any players in the youth setup I should be aware of? Are we looking at any new youth players from other clubs that might be interesting?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100752 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:58 am »

Highly unlikely.   There were rumours towards the end of last season that Bobby was restless.  Probably expected to be playing more U21s then.   Neither do I think he was necessarily behind Paul , except in age.  Paul lost a year in jus over a year ago, with a broken leg and missed most of the first year of U18s.  Not surprising really then that he was offered recuperation at Melwood, it must be very tough to know you’re going to miss out on another year.   But it’s true Bobby would be well behind Rhian, and couldn’t expect it to be any other way. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100753 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50:02 am »
The boss told Liverpoolfc.com: “Unfortunately Paul Glatzel got seriously injured, which is a shame. He is a wonderful kid, a wonderful player, unbelievable.

“The week we saw him [at Melwood] helped already, so when he is back he will be one of my boys because I really like what I saw.”

That's what Klopp said in July when Glatzel got injured so I assume he'll be training full-time with the first team when he returns.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #100754 on: September 12, 2019, 08:55:28 am »
Delighted to see Glatzel sign a new contract, as I've said previously I think he's way better than Duncan and he's also a better fit to the system we got with him being a hard-working/pressing forward with great intelligence and also the technical ability to create things himself. Apart from Duncan who's more of a goal-poacher.

Shows great faith in him and hopefully he'll recover fully and can continue his development.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #100755 on: September 12, 2019, 07:49:40 pm »
We risk down-grading Duncan in hindsight, but he needed big strides to play in our system. 

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100756 on: September 12, 2019, 11:14:52 pm »
I hope not, he's recovering from an ACL reconstruction

Oh, so is he out for the whole season?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100757 on: September 13, 2019, 10:41:49 am »
There's a squad list on the uefa site for the youth league. https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/clubs/2606417--liverpool/

No idea if thats a final list but only a couple u16s and brewster, van de berg, Hoever, etc included so quite strong. Looks like harvey blair is brother/related to ex-academy player marley blair.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #100758 on: September 13, 2019, 10:51:03 am »
There's a squad list on the uefa site for the youth league. https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/clubs/2606417--liverpool/

No idea if thats a final list but only a couple u16s and brewster, van de berg, Hoever, etc included so quite strong. Looks like harvey blair is brother/related to ex-academy player marley blair.
We’re Harvey and Marley.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #100759 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:08 pm »
Glatzel had a couple of other fairly major injuries before this latest one, didn't he?  I really like the look of him as a player but I'm worried he'll turn out to be another Yesil.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.