Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12379556 times)

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #100520 on: August 31, 2019, 12:50:06 pm »
And we score from a corner! Stewart nodded it home 4-3. Can Utd equalise for the 4th time? Surely not...

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #100521 on: August 31, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »
Holy shit, Winterbottom gets downs and gets a strong hand to a ball that was surely heading into the bottom corner. It's madhouse here now!

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #100522 on: August 31, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »
Phil Neville's son, Harvey, is now on for United. They won't be making any team calendars this year I hope, no need to scare the kids out there.

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #100523 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:00 pm »
Full time 4-3

Jesus wept, what a match that was. We went ahead 4 times and 3 times Utd pegged us back, they could have had one right at the end but we managed to close it out. Clarkson looked great and Kane's passing is immense. Splendid entertainment.

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #100524 on: August 31, 2019, 12:57:15 pm »
Obligatory handbags right at the end of course. This fixture is normally graced by a red card or two, surprised we haven't had any in the 90 minutes.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #100525 on: August 31, 2019, 12:57:31 pm »
Bit sloppy defending at the end but overall thought we were gopx snd deserved the win.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100526 on: August 31, 2019, 01:10:43 pm »
1st time I've seen Clarkson play and I gotta say the kid is class. Wonderful passing and technical ability.

Hasn't he been training with the 1st already?

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #100527 on: August 31, 2019, 01:30:05 pm »
Hasn't he been training with the 1st already?

Yes he has.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100528 on: August 31, 2019, 05:02:48 pm »
Nearly a great counter attack from us there- Clarkson's shot deflected just wide

Jake Kane's passing has been brilliant
It's Jake Cain mate not Kane there is enough of them about to confuse matters.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100529 on: August 31, 2019, 05:04:08 pm »

Hopefully cdav will be Abel to remember that in the future.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100530 on: August 31, 2019, 05:09:47 pm »
Clarkson is the biz, is he even in the national youth teams?

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100531 on: August 31, 2019, 05:28:34 pm »

I googled to make sure I spelt Koumetio correctly in an earlier post too :lmao :boxhead

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100532 on: August 31, 2019, 07:34:23 pm »
We're getting spanked in the U-23 game. Man City just made it 4-1. [emoji30]

City were bottom of the table before this too.
(Yes I know that was only after 3 games, but still!)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:41:13 pm by Crouch Potato »

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100533 on: August 31, 2019, 07:35:15 pm »
So happy watching the firsts but sorry to now see the U23s are losing at Anfield 1-4. 

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100534 on: August 31, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »
Let's just hope they need "time to gel".

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100535 on: August 31, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »

Would like ro see Lewtas im charge of the u23s from next year

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100536 on: September 1, 2019, 09:39:02 am »
Would like ro see Lewtas im charge of the u23s from next year

Something is not working with the current staff. Losing heavily all the time is a sign that teams have figured us out and we don’t know how to get out of the rut. This can’t be good for the players’ confidence and trust.

New ideas are needed.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #100537 on: September 1, 2019, 01:18:36 pm »
I have seen a few of the u23 games as I subscribed to LFC TV, generally disappointed with what I have seen, they beat a poor Southampton side and were well beaten by a very good Chelsea one.
Didn't see the City game.

Whether some of the lads would step up to the first team by playing with better players I am not sure but as it stands I don't really see any of them pushing for a place, even on the bench.

Hard to gauge on Brewster, though on what I have seen doesn't look ready yet which given him and Origi are our back up's is slightly worrying.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100538 on: September 1, 2019, 02:22:54 pm »
U23s has always been hit and miss though as a lot of the squad are at Melwood all week so they have very little preparation time together.

We also have a lot more younger players moving up this season with fewer more experienced lads to balance things out.

They have to make the best of a bad thing, it's nothing new nor unique to us but ultimately the whole purpose of the academy is to produce players for the senior squad, at whatever age they're ready.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #100539 on: September 1, 2019, 02:33:00 pm »
U23s has always been hit and miss though as a lot of the squad are at Melwood all week so they have very little preparation time together.

We also have a lot more younger players moving up this season with fewer more experienced lads to balance things out.

They have to make the best of a bad thing, it's nothing new nor unique to us but ultimately the whole purpose of the academy is to produce players for the senior squad, at whatever age they're ready.

Yeh that is a really good point and for me explains how difficult it is to come through from the U23's. We are in a tricky situation in which U23 Football doesn't really help develop players but loaning players out is difficult because Klopp's style of play is so specific. Just a shame we can't have a B team in the lower leagues the way Barca do for example.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100540 on: September 1, 2019, 02:45:41 pm »
Yeh that is a really good point and for me explains how difficult it is to come through from the U23's. We are in a tricky situation in which U23 Football doesn't really help develop players but loaning players out is difficult because Klopp's style of play is so specific. Just a shame we can't have a B team in the lower leagues the way Barca do for example.
I think that's why he prefers them to train with him, in house, to learn his methods then the next stage is gaining experience at a higher level.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100541 on: September 1, 2019, 03:21:38 pm »

I might be simplifying it to a great degree, but without a B team ala Dortmund or Barca, could they not find clubs to loan to who play a similar style to us?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #100542 on: September 1, 2019, 03:27:04 pm »
I might be simplifying it to a great degree, but without a B team ala Dortmund or Barca, could they not find clubs to loan to who play a similar style to us?

I think a similar style doesn't really work though because with Klopp it is all about getting players to react to certain triggers almost sub-consciously. About creating pressure, about creating passing traps and then pouncing as a team. You can do that if you keep the players here and around the first team but the problem is the lack of intensity and drop off in quality in U23 games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100543 on: September 1, 2019, 03:30:10 pm »

Its also why the new combined first team and academy training complex will be a huge benefit to all the players- the ease that youngsters can work and progress up to the first team squad and back down again as required will help development

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100544 on: September 1, 2019, 03:44:22 pm »

It's not a shame, it's better for the lower leagues, and who's the last top player Barca produced? We're doing fine without it.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100545 on: September 1, 2019, 06:43:36 pm »
Its also why the new combined first team and academy training complex will be a huge benefit to all the players- the ease that youngsters can work and progress up to the first team squad and back down again as required will help development
Very true mate.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #100546 on: September 1, 2019, 06:57:55 pm »
It's not a shame, it's better for the lower leagues, and who's the last top player Barca produced? We're doing fine without it.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to blame Barca B for Barca not producing top players. I think it is far more complex than that with a number of factors combining. They have had a succession of managers who haven't really had the kudos to indulge young players. They received a 14 month transfer ban for bringing in u18 players and thirdly a lot of players left frustrated at their prospect of breaking through. The likes of Alcantara, Bellerin, Icardi, Onana, Bartra and Garcia left to pursue other opportunities.

As for doing fine, are we personally I can't remember too many players coming through the U23's. For me the players who make it tend to bypass the U23's. I would love us to have a B team in the Championship and think it would be beneficial for the national team as well as being great introduction for the younger fans who find it hard to get tickets for first team games.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100547 on: September 1, 2019, 07:27:11 pm »
I think it is a bit of a stretch to blame Barca B for Barca not producing top players. I think it is far more complex than that with a number of factors combining. They have had a succession of managers who haven't really had the kudos to indulge young players. They received a 14 month transfer ban for bringing in u18 players and thirdly a lot of players left frustrated at their prospect of breaking through. The likes of Alcantara, Bellerin, Icardi, Onana, Bartra and Garcia left to pursue other opportunities.

As for doing fine, are we personally I can't remember too many players coming through the U23's. For me the players who make it tend to bypass the U23's. I would love us to have a B team in the Championship and think it would be beneficial for the national team as well as being great introduction for the younger fans who find it hard to get tickets for first team games.

Loads of players are coming through the u23's or loan system, Trent Arnold for example isn't a better example than Barca or Madrid can boast too recently, Trent played in the u23s didn't he? It would be beneficial to us but at the expense of another football league club, it's not needed, currently even in regards to the national team they can boast to having a similar level or better players than Spain from the 16-23 age groups, France another nation producing players at a similar level also don't have a system like that.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #100548 on: September 1, 2019, 09:32:07 pm »
Loads of players are coming through the u23's or loan system, Trent Arnold for example isn't a better example than Barca or Madrid can boast too recently, Trent played in the u23s didn't he? It would be beneficial to us but at the expense of another football league club, it's not needed, currently even in regards to the national team they can boast to having a similar level or better players than Spain from the 16-23 age groups, France another nation producing players at a similar level also don't have a system like that.

Trent played 12 games for the U23's so I don't really think you can say he came through the U23's.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100549 on: September 1, 2019, 10:55:09 pm »
It doesn't matter if you have a b team or not if a manager doesn't trust players or can just buy in replacements. The reason countries like Germany, france and spain are doing well is that teams rely on their academies to produce players to fill out squads and bring in money, so they give them time. In England thats not even the case for most 2nd tier sides.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100550 on: September 2, 2019, 08:01:24 am »
Some on Twitter saying Duncan to Fiorentina on a permanent deal is apparently close

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100551 on: September 2, 2019, 08:15:44 am »
@JamesPearceLFC
10 minutes ago

More
Bobby Duncan set to join Fiorentina today after they increased their offer to €2million. #LFC will also have a 20% sell on clause. Full details to follow on @TheAthleticUK

Offline RobbieRyder

• Boys Pen
« Reply #100552 on: September 2, 2019, 08:24:38 am »
I think Duncan is making a mistake , he is not good enough at the moment for top flight football.
If he really wanted to leave to play which is not a bad thing, he should have gone to a League 1 club or that team in Denmark who were after him. 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #100553 on: September 2, 2019, 08:29:29 am »
Bizarre

Never seen such a badly advised youngster at this club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #100554 on: September 2, 2019, 08:32:22 am »
I'm not convinced either but to an extent he made his bed with his agent's outburst. I certainly don't think he did enough in the pre-season to warrant a place in our first team squad. He is like a lot of young players is in a hurry to make it, which isn't always the best thing for young players. I didn't doubt the club would sell him, if they were offered the right price. The ball is in his court now...
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100555 on: September 2, 2019, 08:33:09 am »
Let him go, sometimes players dont want to listen to their clubs and are insistent they are right. He isn't the first youngster to think this way and he wont be the last. Good luck to him but its mad for someone who claims to be a fan to be so so desperate for first team football and to look for the exit just to get it pretty much anywhere.

Seemer clear he would go so i'm not suprised. As much as this whole Sancho thing has been great as its encouraged more youngsters to step out of the comfort zone of english football, the flip side is things like this. Why is he so so convinced he's good enough for senior football right now?
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 08:34:47 am by RyanBabel19 »

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100556 on: September 2, 2019, 08:54:40 am »
@JamesPearceLFC
10 minutes ago

More
Bobby Duncan set to join Fiorentina today after they increased their offer to €2million. #LFC will also have a 20% sell on clause. Full details to follow on @TheAthleticUK

I think he’ll look back with regret in 5 years. If he really wants a chance to play right now he’d be better off asking for a loan to a lower league team and if it works out a perm move in the summer.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #100557 on: September 2, 2019, 08:57:09 am »
Can't get my head around how a scouse Liverpool supporter has created such a mess for himself. I'd have cleaned the toilets if needed to play for us

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100558 on: September 2, 2019, 08:57:39 am »
Good luck to Bobby Duncan. He may surprised us by getting first team playing time and do well. Don’t think he is ready though ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100559 on: September 2, 2019, 09:09:14 am »
It's a real shame.

Fiorentina are a great side club and Florence is an amazing place, but I can't see this panning out well for Duncan.

He should have been advised to be patient and wait for a chance. He is still so young, did he really expect to be getting starts ahead of Salah, Mane, Firmino, CL-winning Origi and Brewster at this stage?

I think he will make fewer than 10 starts at Fiorentina this year and be playing in League 1 within 3 years. His agent will be largely to blame for that.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2019, 09:21:24 am by Bergersleftpeg »
Roger Scruton was right about everything.